Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 01-04-2010, 3:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default IDPA and my nerves...

Well, I watched a video from Sac Valley of a guys first IDPA meet and it just freaked me out. I want to get involved but have only gone shooting a handful of times. On top of that I have never attempted to do any form of action type shooting, just standing there shooting at a target. How do I prepare for what IDPA will throw at me, especially when I can only get out to actually shoot a few times each month? The rest of the time I can only practice at home with dry firing and drawing, etc. So yeah, to sum it up I'm feeling fairly nervous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
Testicles of steel, bladder of titanium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
F the World Bank
F the UN &
F Obama

Sacramento Community Chapter Social Group... Join Here!
Old 01-04-2010, 3:50 PM

First, understand that action shooting is (in the grand scheme of things) is relatively simple, but from a skills standpoint is hard. Make your peace with that and you'll be golden.

Second, a great way to get in to the shooting sports is to shoot say a Steel Challenge type event. There is one at Sac Valley on the third Sunday of each month. With the exception of one stage, all of the stages in the Steel Challenge are stand and shoot. Too, they're only 5 rounds per run with 4-5 runs per stage. It will get you used to the range commands, duties, etc. without being overwhelmed with rules, positions, etc.

From there, I'd attend one of the classes that the IDPA club at Sac Valley puts on I believe either every month or every quarter on the Saturday before their match. It's I believe $25 and you will get walked through VERY basic stages that will teach you multiple target engagements, reloading from cover/concealment, target engagement order, etc.

As a side note, if you would like some other familiarity with action shooting, I've been a competitor for over 12 years now and an instructor for just about 10. Sac Valley is my home range and would be more than happy to show you some of the basics on the action pistol range.

Hope that helps.

Rich

"Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

"The callus on my finger is from my trigger, not the keyboard!" - Rob Leatham
Veteran Member

I have been interested in 3 Gun, yes I may totally suck at it, but it looks like fun. I'll be curious to hear the feedback you get.........Tag!
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMama View Post
How do I prepare for what IDPA will throw at me
interested in responses also

Last edited by chickenfried; 01-04-2010 at 3:52 PM..
Old 01-04-2010, 4:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Relax. I can garentee that you are not going to win right away, possibly ever. But, I'm sure that is not your immediate goal. Just go and have fun! I've only shot a handful of IDPA matches myself. I'm happy if I learn something and even happier if I come in somewhere in the top 3/4. It's like anything else, you need to learn the game and how to play it. I'd suggest just going out and attempting to hit each target. DO NOT worry about your time at first. Just have fun and be safe!
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 01-04-2010, 4:29 PM

Just go and watch a few times. Talk to people, ask questions. It will really help your confidence level to see what others do. See if you can find any fun matches to go to. I have only gone to one fun match to watch and most everyone was very helpful. Watching a video does not do the sport justice, go and watch one.
In addition to IDPA, there is USPSA matches. I will eventually try both.
Old 01-04-2010, 4:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawman View Post
Just go and watch a few times. Talk to people, ask questions. It will really help your confidence level to see what others do. See if you can find any fun matches to go to. I have only gone to one fun match to watch and most everyone was very helpful. Watching a video does not do the sport justice, go and watch one.
In addition to IDPA, there is USPSA matches. I will eventually try both.
Don't just watch! Go have fun.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

KM6WLV
Old 01-04-2010, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Well, I watched a video from Sac Valley of a guys first IDPA meet and it just freaked me out. I want to get involved but have only gone shooting a handful of times. On top of that I have never attempted to do any form of action type shooting, just standing there shooting at a target. How do I prepare for what IDPA will throw at me, especially when I can only get out to actually shoot a few times each month? The rest of the time I can only practice at home with dry firing and drawing, etc. So yeah, to sum it up I'm feeling fairly nervous!

If you have only gone shooting a handful of times, I am not certain that action pistol shooting is a good idea. Every single action pistol copmetition/class I have ever seen very clearly states "Not for beginners".

If I had gone after only shooting a handful of times, it would not have been fun for me.

I shoot at least once or twice a week, and there was a lot to learn the first time I did action pistol. You should be very comfortable with your weapon and things like safe handling (eg no finger in trigger guard, 180 rule, etc), field stripping, and general function should be second nature to you before you consider endangering your peers at the action pistol range.

That said, I was nervous as hell the first time and there is really no reason to be. You want to go SLOW and be SAFE and HAVE FUN.

I had at least one loaded pistol pointed at me during me first action pistol class because the shooter had little to no handgun experience and thought they could wing it. We were not impressed, and the shooter was asked to leave.

In any case, the experience is totally different than target shooting, and much more fun.

I would recommend you get to the range as often as possible for a few months, then do the idpa. Go watch some matches with beginners and see how it goes. (PS it will help you to practice shooting with your off hand.)

Also, get a list of range commands and rules and study ahead of time.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2010, 5:36 PM

I started shooting uspsa and idpa recently.It's pretty simple.If the movement to target is what makes you nervous,just walk,don't run.watch your muzzle keep an eye on your 180.and have fun.I started my 15b y/o son at the same time.His first actual match was an IDPA night shoot.He did good,Most of the people I've met at matches are very cool and helpful.They seem to enjoy helping new comp shooters.I've only met one jerk at a Palma Match I visited to watch.
I say just go,go slow and be safe and have FUN.
Old 01-04-2010, 6:49 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

We had a guy at yesterday's match who was competing after having only shot a handgun once. I admit that this made me very nervous, but he focused on safety and did everything nice and slow (it also helped that he was a long-time rifle shooter). He had a perfect day...a) he was perfectly safe, and b) he had a good time.

If you want to do it, then come out and do it. Just go slow, and if possible, find someone who will mentor you during the match.

And remember...it isn't a Pass-or-Fail kind of thing. If a stage makes you overly nervous, don't shoot it. It will ruin your score for the match, but you aren't focused on winning your first time out.

If you are willing to road trip, come out to the Richmond match this Sunday and shoot with me. Unfortunately, my wife can't make this match, but my son will probably be there with me.
Old 01-04-2010, 6:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunNutz View Post
If you have only gone shooting a handful of times, I am not certain that action pistol shooting is a good idea. Every single action pistol copmetition/class I have ever seen very clearly states "Not for beginners".

Good luck!
This guy shot his first match with a borrowed gun: http://taranbutler.com/

Obviously he was not an accomplished shooter when he started.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 01-04-2010, 8:18 PM

It sounds to me (from your OP) that you have been dry practicing drawing and firing at home. If this is the case, and you feel comfortable drawing from a holster, I really think you should go out and shoot a match.

I was really nervous my first time. Not knowing what to expect can be stressful. But once I was there and participating, I saw that it really wasn't a big deal. Most of the competitors and SO's were really friendly and helpful. I asked lots of questions, and learned quite a bit during that first match.

Take up someone's offer here and go with them. Life is a grand adventure, or nothing at all. Have a blast!
Old 01-04-2010, 8:29 PM

The hardest match, of any kind, will be your first one. It has more to do with the unfamiliarity than with the shooting! As others have already said, you'll most likely find that newcomers are welcomed. Usually there should be someone who will be there to 'show you the ropes.' The ROs want you happy. The match organizers want you to come back. Time and speed aren't important. Concentrate on safety and accuracy. As you figure out how the match 'works' it will all come together for you.

I've been shooting the SSA Steel Madness matches since August. I had only started shooting in July. They definitely have helped to improve my shooting better and faster than just standing at the range with paper targets. What I'm really loving is Steel Challenge. There, the stages are always the same. I can judge my improvement and focus on specific practice. I want to, but haven't yet, try IDPA. So far, my calendar has conspired against me. Each type of match, and I imagine each group, will offer it's own flavor. You just need to see which one(s) suit you.

I'm sorry you're up in NorCal! It'd be fun to meet up sometime.
Ruger 22/45
Old 01-04-2010, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
This guy shot his first match with a borrowed gun: http://taranbutler.com/

Obviously he was not an accomplished shooter when he started.
Now, now: you need to be more fair with your editing. I gave her good advice for a first shoot (including warning her of weak hand shooting and telling her to watch some matches in person) and I did not discourage her from shooting action pistol. I just told her to get to the range for a few consecutive months first. It had nothing to do with accomplishments or skill, rather what I felt would be FUN for a first time action pistol shooter, and possibly what would be SAFE.

Her post said she'd only been shooting a handful of times, and my opinion is the experience would be more rewarding with a bit more confidence shooting. I can't think of anyone who, after only a handful of times shooting, should shoot action pistol.

Like I said, I had a loaded gun pointed at me by someone who jumped in too early, and this experience is not that uncommon.

You old hands always bait the rookies on these sites.
Old 01-05-2010, 7:23 AM

I took some private lessons when I started. This might be a good way to work up to the matches if you're unsure of your ability at this point. After three or four one-hour lessons, I was much more confident in my gun handling. I'm not sure what the average rate is for private lessons, but I paid $40 an hour. That is not much more than an entry fee for an IDPA match.

You can also go to a match and watch in person. Watching videos of a match can be deceiving, because the videos are usually of the better shooters. There are lots of average Joes shooting in IDPA, and you will see that if you go to watch one.

You don't have to be a speed demon to shoot IDPA, just go to enjoy shooting. You will improve as you gain more experience. I think that this is really the point of shooting IDPA.
Old 01-05-2010, 9:14 AM

Default Funny you should mention that

Quote:
I attended my very first IDPA at Sac Valley last Sunday, it was very inspiring and totally enjoyable. Let me relate a few thoughts that might help you out:

1-There was a new shooter orientation on Saturday January 2nd. That really helped me prepare for the match on Sunday and I felt a lot safer and more relaxed knowing that I had shot a few practice stages. Both at the class Saturday and the match on Sunday January 3rd, the Safety Officers were very helpful and supportive of the newcomers. Their job is to both ensure safety and to help participants enjoy the match, they did a great job on both counts!

2-You might consider attending a one or two day defensive firearms course to learn safe draw from holster and practice reloads an dealing with malfunctions. Am sure there are people here who can recommend good classes in your location. I have attended two such Defensive Pistol Classes spanning a total of just three days, but they helped a lot.

3-It was recommended that as a newcomer I concentrate on "SAFETY" and "Accuracy" which I did. Came home with all my fingers and toes, no powder burns or bullet holes in me. Only had 10 points* off for the entire match from target scoring. However, my time was very slow putting me considerably below the middle of unclassified service pistol shooters. Overall, that doesn't begin to compare with the experienced "rated" shooters, yet I am happy with it.

Finally- IPSA shooters may have more illuminating insights, but i viewed the day as just for fun, not a life and death re enactment. I left my pride and adrenalin, but not my brain at home and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Please be safe and enjoy!!!

*I did do quite a bit of revolver target shooting at 25 to 100 yards, metallic silhouette, and some very minor PPC competition in the 80's.

Last edited by Ed_in_Sac; 01-05-2010 at 9:21 AM..
Old 01-05-2010, 10:14 AM

My first match was a Steel Challenge and I was determined to watch before I shot. They talked me into shooting. Two weeks later I went to "watch" a defensive pistol match. The coordinator wouldn't let me watch. Now I'm hooked and I've never looked back.

I recently had knee replacement surgery and shot my first USPSA match in three months last weekend. They timed me with a calendar but I had fun, was welcomed by the club and thrilled to be back.

All I can say is be open about being new, listen closely to the instructions, be safe and have fun.

F-4E Fighter Pilot "Crazed Dog"
Once a fighter pilot, always a fighter pilot!

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Refuse to be a Victim Instructor
NRA certified RSO
USPSA Range Officer
USCCA Member
Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
In Memoriam

Ed in Sac. Glad you had a great time at the match. The IDPA club there is great for new shooters. The new shooter class is a new thing they started to get the new shooters in the swing of things. You had the right attitude.
Go slow, be safe and accurate. You will see some great shooters there and please feel free to ask them questions, no matter what, they are very helpful.
It can get some what overwelming with over a 100 shooters. Hope you and the others will be back next month.
Old 01-05-2010, 1:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfried View Post

interested in responses also
so moving...made me want to go out of my worm office and start jogging...hoping that people will lstop what their doing and look at me. hahaha.

Anyways, another way of training at shooting is get a Airsoft gun and practice with it in your home. Get use to it and when your out there at the Range, your more confortable.
Old 01-05-2010, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

The biggest issue and embarrassment at an action match is to get sent home DQ. So the biggest question is can I make it through the day without embarrassing myself. The answer to that question is in the safe handgun rules. Can I keep my finger off the trigger till I intend to fire? Will I only aim at something I intend to shoot? (on the range this is the 180 rule. Keep the muzzel down range and don't sweep yourself or the peanut gallery and you're OK) And all guns are loaded. This translates into being competent to load and make ready, draw from a holster without sweeping yourself or anyone else and being able to unload and show clear. Rule 4, know your backstop and all that is behind it. We will hope the range has taken care of that. The folk I met shooting USPSA were fine patient people, that enjoyed introducing new folk to the sport. As long as you don't hurt yourself or anyone else they won't care how long you take to run the course. Go to a match and watch. Introduce yourself and I bet you meet people you like and who like you. Look into any shooter orientation classes available to you. I know at Richmond it is required before you can use the range. It is important to know when you can touch your pistol, when you can touch your ammo, and how to present your pistol. (The one time I was DQ'ed was when I went to the car to get something for someone ane left my 1911 on the equipment bench with the action open and the slide locked back, but it had an empty mag in the gun... I was DQ'ed for a safety violation. I stayed and picked up brass the rest of the day.)
Hey Lady... you sound interested... then do it. It really is fun and great experience.
take care
Mike
""When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - When you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - When you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You may know that your society is doomed." -- Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged", 1957"
Old 01-05-2010, 1:45 PM

Just go there and have fun. Everyone will be helpful and nice since ur a girl they'll be happy that ur there.
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Old 01-05-2010, 1:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorhard View Post
Just go there and have fun. Everyone will be helpful and nice since ur a girl they'll be happy that ur there.
They will shoot harder and faster too. :P
Old 01-05-2010, 2:42 PM

Some will disagree with what I say, but oh well. Don't worry about your skill level and about being competitive. Get the basic gear and enter a shoot. Walk through it if need be and only go as fast as you can while being safe and HITTING your target. Who cares if your times suck? I'm sure there will be no shortage of shooters who will help you along and with time, your skills will improve. Remember (this is where people will disagree), IDPA and other gun games are not about the score, they are about practicing martial skills while under competitive stress, and they are about having fun. If you miss that point (especially in the case of IDPA), then you are missing the whole point.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Old 01-05-2010, 3:11 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
Remember (this is where people will disagree), IDPA and other gun games are not about the score, they are about practicing martial skills while under competitive stress, and they are about having fun.
I have to strenuously disagree.

IDPA is just a game, albeit one that tries to utilize some defensive shooting principals. But because it is a game where the principal factor is how fast you can go, it teaches some habits that will get you killed in a real fight. It does a fantastic job of honing your weapon-handling mechanics (draws, reloads, failure recovery, target transitioning, etc.), but it is NOT tactical/defensive practice or training, and should never be confused as such.

It is damn fun, though, and will instill you with greater confidence in using your handgun. You just have to keep in mind that the game rewards you for doing some things that you should never do in a fight.
Old 01-05-2010, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

Would they let you walk the course with a "blue gun"?

Maybe that could help the jitters a bit?

IDPA etc looks fun, I wish I had the time to look into it further.
Old 01-05-2010, 3:30 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You just have to get out and do it

You will get over your nerves by participating in matches.

Things you should master before you go:

1. Always keep your pistol pointed downrange/in a safe direction

2. Confidently be able to load and unload your pistol while keeping it pointed downrange at all times.

2. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard until your gun is pointed in on the target.

IMO, thats it I'm guessing you can already do those three things.

When you start - go slow
Don't worry about reloading on the move or being super tactical or fast. When you need to reload go ahead and stop moving if necessary. Once you are comfortable you can combine movements.
Everyone there has been a complete newb when they started, and most all of them will be very supportive of you.
Once you've been to a match or two you will know what you need to work on at home.
If you have a brain freeze or don't know what to do, just stop and ask the range officers running the stage what to do next. If they don't know it is your first shoot, just tell them before you start the stage.

Breath!
Old 01-05-2010, 3:43 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
It depends upon the club, but most-likely the answer is Yes. As a club and IDPA safety officer, I would even let someone walk the course with an unloaded real gun.

There are two significant problems with action pistol shooting, though.

First it will suck all of your spare cash into that black hole called "ammunition."

Second, you'll never be truly happy again standing at a static firing line on some public range firing only one round a second.

Old 01-05-2010, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
It depends upon the club, but most-likely the answer is Yes. As a club and IDPA safety officer, I would even let someone walk the course with an unloaded real gun.

There are two significant problems with action pistol shooting, though.

First it will suck all of your spare cash into that black hole called "ammunition."

Second, you'll never be truly happy again standing at a static firing line on some public range firing only one round a second.

Did that guy switch to support side when shooting on the left?

Get the Plinkr iOS App
Find any Gun Store/FFL
Find any Range in the USA.
Find firearms training too!
Curated Industry News
Gun Store Gunbroker, Armslist, gun.deals, Weapon Depot
Social Media Aggregator
Old 01-05-2010, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

you'll never be truly happy again standing at a static firing line on some public range firing only one round a second.
Step one: Get room to reload (buy a house)
Step two: Fire all that WWB I have in the safe
Step 3 : Learn to reload

I've seen some people shooting up at Chabot and it looks like fun!
Old 01-05-2010, 4:19 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olav View Post
Did that guy switch to support side when shooting on the left?
No. It slows you down too much to change hands during a course of fire.
Old 01-05-2010, 4:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunNutz View Post
Now, now: you need to be more fair with your editing. I gave her good advice for a first shoot (including warning her of weak hand shooting and telling her to watch some matches in person) and I did not discourage her from shooting action pistol. I just told her to get to the range for a few consecutive months first. It had nothing to do with accomplishments or skill, rather what I felt would be FUN for a first time action pistol shooter, and possibly what would be SAFE.

Her post said she'd only been shooting a handful of times, and my opinion is the experience would be more rewarding with a bit more confidence shooting. I can't think of anyone who, after only a handful of times shooting, should shoot action pistol.

Like I said, I had a loaded gun pointed at me by someone who jumped in too early, and this experience is not that uncommon.

You old hands always bait the rookies on these sites.
I think it's up to the OP and the ROs when it comes to shooting right away. If she is certain that she will be 100% safe, I still say, Go for it! I hate to see people just watching any kind of match when they would rather be shooting it. I've gone as far as offering the use of one of my 50s, all my BR stuff and I even loaded ammo for a couple who was originally planning to come to a FCSA match all the way from Canada just to watch. Their rifle was still being built but, they wanted to see how the game was played. Well, the wife ended up shooting the match and did great for her first match and a borrowed rifle.

Anyway, I'm far from an expert when it comes to action pistol shooting but, I don't see any problem with a safe shooter just shooting the match very slow to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post

Maybe that could help the jitters a bit?
I've seen a ten or eleven year old shoot a match with his FA airsoft MAC. He didn't do half bad. But, doing something like that would be completely at the discretion of the match director.
IDPA etc looks fun, I wish I had the time to look into it further.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV

Last edited by CSACANNONEER; 01-05-2010 at 5:43 PM..
Old 01-05-2010, 5:01 PM
In Memoriam

12 shots in 6 seconds and a reload!!
What is fun about IDPA is that old, fat out of shape guys can still compete with the younger, skinny, in shape guys and still kick their butts. LOL.
Old 01-05-2010, 8:06 PM

Quote:
I have to strenuously disagree.

IDPA is just a game, albeit one that tries to utilize some defensive shooting principals. But because it is a game where the principal factor is how fast you can go, it teaches some habits that will get you killed in a real fight. It does a fantastic job of honing your weapon-handling mechanics (draws, reloads, failure recovery, target transitioning, etc.), but it is NOT tactical/defensive practice or training, and should never be confused as such.

It is damn fun, though, and will instill you with greater confidence in using your handgun. You just have to keep in mind that the game rewards you for doing some things that you should never do in a fight.
I NEVER SAID that IDPA or any other gun game was a good simulation for defensive shooting. That is why I don't care how I score. I care how I do with regard to my training. I agree with you that there are many things that are done in gun games that are not tactically sound, and that is why I said what I said. But it does help in all the aspects you listed and that is the point I was trying to get across. I don't shoot IDPA or any other action pistol for a good score. If my time sucks because I reload before moving or I use my duty retention holster or I make the best use of cover available so be it, I'm there to practice my skill. What I'm trying to tell the OP is NOT to get wrapped around the axle of the game and speed aspect of the match but to use it as a way to develop their own shooting skills. I think you and I are on the same sheet of music although it didn't sound like it to you.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by Suvorov; 01-05-2010 at 8:16 PM..
Old 01-05-2010, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

Get an Airsoft gas gun or Gas Blow Back with at least 2-3 magazines.
Black BBs so you cant catch them going to the target and it forces you to use the sights, and a propane adapter.
Evike sells many types along with Airsplat.
Put on your safety glasses, and then get like thin metal to either hang or stand up.
Now you can get that third dimension of sound when you hit the steel. Quite satisfying.
Do a word search for course lay outs.

But, most importantly, either attend some formal training, or get the Matt Burkett series of DVDs.
Airsoft is incredible in its cheapness, and ease of training at home.
But be aware, it will ingrain poor form, and or bad habits. Thats why the need for formalized training. Establish proper technique now, and re-enforce it with the Gas Blow Back practice.
Much more satisfying then just dry fire practice alone.

All the above just my opinion.
Old 01-07-2010, 5:28 PM

Default New Shooters Clinic

Nor-Cal Mama:

I am brand new to this forum but I am known to many of the current members. I am the "Grand Poobah" of the IDPA affliated club at the Sac Valley Shooting Center, "The Sacramento Defensive Pistol Shooters, Inc. "
< www.sdps-idpa.org > We have a new program we put into affect a few months back and has turned into a great success.
It is called the "New Shooters Clinic". It is held on the first Saturday of each month from about 8-2. this generally falls on the Saturday just before our monthly match on the first Sunday.
The class takes you through what the rules are, range commands, range safety, gun safety and genrerally what to expect at your first IDPA match but without the pressure. You also get to shoot various IDPA scenarios.
I have heard nothing but praise from the new shooters that attend this class.
You don't have to be a member of IDPA to attend this class, or your first match. The cost is $20.00.

Wayne
Old 01-07-2010, 7:05 PM
In Memoriam

Welcome to the forum "Grand Poobah" or as some of us call you " our fearless leader"

The one whose name is not remembered.
Old 01-07-2010, 7:28 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunFunShooter View Post
Welcome to the forum "Grand Poobah" or as some of us call you " our fearless leader"
Or the one we call "the guy in the railroad engineer shirt."
Old 01-07-2010, 8:52 PM

The same Wayne who made the dummy that I hugged and tugged at the CA State IDPA match?

I loved that dummy.
Old 01-07-2010, 8:57 PM

In case nobody has said it yet- go watch one in person. Talk to folks there and then visualize yourself doing the same things.

I went to the IDPA first time last January and have gone to about 6 of the SacValley matches since. I was nervous at first, but quickly got comfortable. Practiced drawing and reloading (I used dummy rounds in my revolver) at home a few times.

In the end it ain't rocket science- jump right in and enjoy.
Old 01-08-2010, 8:11 AM

M47 Dragon:

I be that Wayne. The dummy's name is "Knewt". I made him out of my old sheet metal worker clothes about five years ago. The funny part of the recent state match was that I didn't swing "Knewt" behind cover enough when I rescued him and earned a PE.....my own prop !
After the match, I had to perform surgery on his tummy after being grabbed and tossed by 150 shooters.

Wayne

Last edited by californiagunner; 01-08-2010 at 8:21 AM..