Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > New to Calguns? Check here first!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

New to Calguns? Check here first! Introductions, How to's, FAQ's and posts of interest to new members.

Old 04-07-2008, 1:29 PM

Default New Guy in Oakland

Hello CG board-

I am a California Gunner in Oakland. Most of the time is the lady and myself at Chabot or SL Gun Club. Both of us shoot 1911's. I am new to .223 plinking with a SU-16CA that is currently being customized to meet my needs (fore grip, muzzle break).

Looking forward to the site!!

David
Old 04-07-2008, 7:46 PM

Hello, I am one of the new guy. I found this site doing research for a friend of mine who wanted an AR type of rifle and CA compliant. I thankfully am one of the lucky ones that bought before the ban.
Old 04-08-2008, 1:03 PM

Default Newbie

Hi Everyone,
I'm also new to Calguns and think this will be my new home because it addresses the unique needs of the California gun owner. I just sent out my Email to all of the assembly members on AB2062 today.
Old 04-08-2008, 5:07 PM
Veteran Member

Hello,
Just wanted to say hello. I currently live & work in Az & Ca. I'm one of the lucky ones. I work and live in the Bay Area, grew up in Pacifica and now live in Fairfield, Ca. I also have a home in Arizona where all the fun stuff is kept.
Anyone in the area, please say hello.
I use the same screen name on all the sites I visit.

Last edited by Ding126; 04-08-2008 at 5:13 PM..
Old 04-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Welcome to the site folks! A few of us use the 80 corridor to go between Concord and Vacaville everyday.
Old 04-10-2008, 8:18 PM

Default Hello Everyone

Just dropping by to say Hi. I'm brand new here, referred by 10% FA (My Husband).
Old 04-10-2008, 9:05 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellann View Post
Just dropping by to say Hi. I'm brand new here, referred by 10% FA (My Husband).
Thus the pink lower.

Welcome did you bring a scooter?
Old 04-11-2008, 9:45 AM

Hello All

Just wanted to introduce myself, was referred by sboldman (Bro). Work and Live in Santa Barbara, mostly shoot at Winchester Gun Club and the Glass Factory. Just made my first AR purchase, and a extra stripped lower to start on #2.
Old 04-14-2008, 9:12 PM
Veteran Member

Hello all....

Some of you probably already know me from some of the other boards....

Just wanted to pop in and say hi!

RD
Old 04-16-2008, 8:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Welcome to CalGuns RomanDad.. I am pretty sure that you will find CalGuns a very pleasant place to learn/teach and find new CA gun owners to go shooting with...
I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas711 View Post
Is everybody stocking up on guys now? Just curious some gun prices seem to be getting high.
Old 04-16-2008, 7:28 PM

New guy here, I was told this is a good site and has alot of info here. I also see a few familar faces here too. I hope to be able to contribute to the forum. Thanks.

Bam Bam Kel Tec owner/forum moderator www.ktog.org

Hi USN CHIEF!
Old 04-16-2008, 9:59 PM

Default Soon to be CA resident

I'm currently living in Oregon but am moving to California shortly to finish my degree. I worked in a gun shop in the Portland area for three years. My problem is that I'm very familiar with firearm laws in Oregon and at the Federal level but don't know much about California's stipulations. I need some help figuring out what I can bring and what I must part with.

I did read through the “DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf” as referenced elsewhere on the forum but, as seems to be the case with BATFE and other government agencies, the response seems somewhat ambiguous.

I know I can't bring:
RRA Entry Tactical
The ever-trusty CAI AK47 variant
Yugo SKS with Bayonet and grenade launcher
Any mags with capacity over 10rds.

I'm not sure about:
Mossberg 500 12ga, 18”, standard stock (somewhat “scary?”)
Mosin M44 (Integral bayonet?)
Steyr 95 (Bayonet Lug?)
'98 Mauser (Bayonet lug?)

I'm pretty sure I can bring:
Ruger 10/22
Rossi .38spl, 5shot
Sig P6
Sig P226
Kel Tec P3-AT
Sporterized 1903 in .270
1911, 8rd capacity

One more thing – do I need to register these firearms when I move of does that only apply if I purchase a firearm in CA?

Sorry for the long post, your help is very much appreciated!

Thanks everyone for creating this forum!
Old 04-17-2008, 7:06 AM

naft,

This reply, from Librarian in the Handgun section to a question I posted not long ago, should answer some of your questions...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...2&postcount=59
Old 04-17-2008, 7:11 PM

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking a bit here at calguns.net just doing research finally decided to introduce myself. I picked up my first firearm, a glock 19, about 2 months ago and have been thoroughly enjoying it!

This 'sport' or 'lifestyle' sure is addicting! I'm already in the process of pieceing together my 'AR.'

And I was also wondering if you folks can point me in the right direction to buy some less boring/traditional targets. Just looking for something with some color and a bit more creativity. I remember seeing a target that was supposed to resemble Osama Bin Laden.

Any help will be great!
Old 04-19-2008, 6:58 PM

Hi all. New to the site. I have been reading a lot of different topics on here and there is a ton of great information. I think I will be spending a lot of time on here and I already have a ton of questions.
Old 04-21-2008, 8:49 AM

New guy here from Clovis. Great site you all have here, looks like all the members really contribute to it. I have already read the FAQs and stickies etc., and have a good understanding about what is CA legal.

I know a good amount about pistols and shotguns, but not too much about semi auto rifles.

I will be making my first AR15 style (prob Stag-15 with A.R.M.S. #40L model 2T preban) sometime this week. Very excited!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:56 AM

Default Hello from new guy in Bay Area

Hello all-
Glad to be here. I am an equal opportunity gun liker, I pretty much like them all. Have a few guns, favorite auto G19, favorite revolver Colt Python, favorite lever Rossi SS .357 trapper. I also hang out at LeverGuns, Ruger and Colt forums. Looking forward to being here. Jazman

If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.
Old 04-22-2008, 9:53 AM

Default hello calguns!

My name is Larry Church and I'm a shooter.

My earliest firearm recollection is sitting on my father's lap and him showing me his .45 ACP Government issue 1911. This was during the "Occupation of Japan" and he was required to be armed -- that would make me 3 at the time. Perhaps that's why I'm a 1911 bigot!

I started shooting in Boy Scouts (at about 10), and purchased my first guns around then: a single shot, bolt action .22 and a 12 Ga single shot shotgun -- both Winchesters!

I have been a competitor in ISPC, IDPA, and 3 gun.
I have been a reloader (and Dillon fan) for many years.
I've been an NRA firearms instructor since the 1980's.

I currently teach NRA courses with BAYPROFS (see: http:www.bayprofs.org).
I also teach the occasional Utah CCW course.

I'm a Gunsite graduate, and have taken classes from many other famous and not so famous instructors.

- larry
Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM

Default yep, I'm new

Great site ya got here. I'm on the wait for my first handgun @ the local outfitter. My wife has already noticed the addiction is beginning. As she put it "you don't even have it in your hands and your already shopping for more."
Picking up an sw99 9mm in a week, but found myself @ Big5 yesterday looking for rounds and had my eye caught by the mossberg 500. After I get permission (not coming soon) for that one next will be a 10/22 for some fun out on in the canyon.

Best regards,
David
Old 04-25-2008, 9:28 AM
Extreme MAGA Republican
CGN Contributor

Hi all - just posting up to introduce myself.

I'm just beginning to research building an AR for myself and this is clearly the site to be on!

Current weapons include:
Sig P229 .40
Ruger 10/22
Remington 870

I look forward to hanging out with you guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I am NOT...anything other than a schmuck...
Old 04-25-2008, 8:12 PM

Default Hello

Hey all,
I am new to Calguns, and wanted to introduce myself and thank calguns. I live in Northern CA. I have been shooting as far back as I can remember. I learned to shoot rifles on my Fathers 22lr and learned to handle a pistol with a crossman air pistol. I have shot many others over the years and I have recently had my interest in target shooting and firearm engineering/function rekindled when I purchased myself a new shotgun last year. I have been to the range more in the last year than I had in the previous 10 years. Also, I will be teaching my first child to shoot this year and have already begun talking to her about gun safety and the rules about.
Anyways I have been wanting a more accurate rifle that is fun to shoot for the range and I am plan to purchasing a few pistols this year if funds permit. I make blue collar money so I try to carefully concider big purchases. In the process of doing some research on the web I came across Calguns and have found such a great deal of information, ideas, and helpful people on this forum that I thought I better say hi,
AND more importantly say Thank You!

Thanks to the folks who came up with this site! CA is a boon-doggle of laws, lists, and beurocracy. This place meets a great need and gives a wonderful balance of general gun info and talk, with added info and members that live in or are familiar with our laws here in CA. Great idea!
ALSO Thank You! to all the members that have taken there time to answer peoples questions and share the knowledge you have. Thank You.

I found and incredible amount of answers and information to many questions I have had here.
Calguns is truely awesome, THANK YOU!

Noah
Old 04-27-2008, 2:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

GCVT and Noah, welcome to Cal Guns...
I think most folks bubba their AR's because they watch too many action movies, play too many video games and don't understand how to socialize properly, so they fantasize about being 'action hero's'. Kind of like little girls playing dress-up.
Quote:
Is everybody stocking up on guys now? Just curious some gun prices seem to be getting high.
Old 04-27-2008, 6:53 PM

Default Noah's boon-doggle remark

Reminded me of a quote:

Just another innocent gun owner stuck in the People's Republic of Kalifornia!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:33 AM

Chief, ricochet.......... thanks for the welcome.

For 15 things YOU CAN DO to improve our 2nd A RKBA so we can: pass "Shall Issue" Right-to-Carry; repeal the CA AWB; and pass a CA con. RKBA amendment, go to: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...416#post842416

CA-NRA: http://www.calnra.com/
Old 04-28-2008, 10:38 AM

Just wanted to say hi. I've been lurking around this site for a couple of weeks, and I've already learned quite a bit.

I'm a total gun newbie. Am in the process of acquiring my first firearm and my CCW application is already in the final stages (I'm expecting to get my CCW license in the next couple of weeks). Never shot a gun before four weeks ago when I took a CCW class, but then I discovered that I really enjoyed shooting. I also strongly believe in the idea that people should be able to protect themselves, no matter what the legislators in the State of California think.
Old 04-28-2008, 3:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Just wanted to say hi. I've been lurking around this site for a couple of weeks, and I've already learned quite a bit.

I'm a total gun newbie. Am in the process of acquiring my first firearm and my CCW application is already in the final stages (I'm expecting to get my CCW license in the next couple of weeks). Never shot a gun before four weeks ago when I took a CCW class, but then I discovered that I really enjoyed shooting. I also strongly believe in the idea that people should be able to protect themselves, no matter what the legislators in the State of California think.
Welcome to Cal Guns Anna and hope to see you on the Forums... Let's us know if you were able to get your CCW and alos what county...
Quote:
Old 04-28-2008, 6:30 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome welcome welcome......You guys will love this place......
Old 04-29-2008, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller View Post
Welcome welcome welcome......You guys will love this place......
Thanks, ZombieKiller, I like the name. The many Zombie refferences, I catch in many of the threads here on calguns, always make me grin and laugh to myself.

For 15 things YOU CAN DO to improve our 2nd A RKBA so we can: pass "Shall Issue" Right-to-Carry; repeal the CA AWB; and pass a CA con. RKBA amendment, go to: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...416#post842416

CA-NRA: http://www.calnra.com/
Old 04-30-2008, 3:56 PM

HI. I'm new. I am moving to LA in about 23 days. I am very excited except for not being able to bring my Ak. I look forward to finding my way around the forum and shooting more often.
best
Mike
Old 05-01-2008, 6:45 PM

Talking Hey y'all way over there in Kali!

This is Cobra hailing from the other end of the US! Givin ya a big ol NC wassssssup! I'm a noob here for now but no stranger to gun forums. I moderate on saiga-12.com and I already recognize at least one name here from over there.
Just wanted to say hey and DAMN!.... Y'all got some strange gun laws from what I've heard so far!.

Came here to surf, just like a lot of my friends who have gone west in search of the best waves. I'm gonna surf around and see what all I can learn.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra 762 View Post
This is Cobra hailing from the other end of the US! Givin ya a big ol NC wassssssup! I'm a noob here for now but no stranger to gun forums. I moderate on saiga-12.com and I already recognize at least one name here from over there.
Just wanted to say hey and DAMN!.... Y'all got some strange gun laws from what I've heard so far!.

Came here to surf, just like a lot of my friends who have gone west in search of the best waves. I'm gonna surf around and see what all I can learn.
Hola Amigo... Welcome to Cal Guns and we appreciate the kind words and hopefully you will see how most CA gun owners have adapted well to the weird laws that we have here..
Quote:
Old 05-04-2008, 9:46 PM

Hello,

I thought I would introduce myself. I am in Folsom CA. I have a HO business where I do interstate transfers and stock AR-15 OLLs and AK-47 OLRs.

This out to be an intersting time to live in the PRK.
Old 05-07-2008, 8:27 AM

Hello,

I've been lurking for a while and decided it was time to join. I've found more info on here than anywhere else regarding my interests. One day I hope to help someone else out but in the meantime I'm excited to be a knowledge sponge.

John117
Old 05-07-2008, 9:05 AM

Another n00b checking in from Livermore. Just signed up the other day and have been lurking. I really appreciate the info y'all have here. It's helped me decide what to buy and what to watch for.

Last edited by NotSoFast; 05-11-2008 at 4:22 PM..
Old 05-07-2008, 6:38 PM

Default New member!!!

OOrah new to the site looking forward to doing some business and learning some new things.
Old 05-07-2008, 6:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Welcome to you all.

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.
Old 05-10-2008, 3:27 PM

New to CalGuns.net and looking forward to all that is available here. To our hosts - thanks in advance for all that you contribute.
Old 05-10-2008, 8:34 PM

checking in from sf, hope to learn and share with fellow calcunners!!!
Old 05-10-2008, 8:34 PM

typo....i mean calgunners
Old 05-12-2008, 9:06 AM

Hey-
Joined this forum to get valuable intel and share what I know to help others out. I've been reloading a couple different calibers for about a year now, own a Rem 700, M1 Garand, M1A, Ruger 10/22, Mossberg 500, Ar15, Glock 26, and FN FiveseveN.

I grew up in Turlock, joined the army after high school, did alot of travelling, and somehow ended up in Fresno. ETS'd in May 06, and finished my IRR obligation yesterday. My MOS was 96R. Currently attending American Military University and employed as a Mine Engineer.