Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-08-2019, 7:31 AM

It sounds like what you really want is a sig 220
Old 07-08-2019, 7:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Rent, shoot, decide, buy.
Old 07-08-2019, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperInExcretiaSumus View Post
Are you talking about the piece your palm would fit against? I was wondering why some had a hump on the back and some didn't. That would affect how it rests in your palm and would help with shooting high or low without sighting, right?
Yes.
And thicker or thinner, rubber, etc., grips.
Whatever is best for you.

Last edited by Pofoo; 07-08-2019 at 7:39 AM..
Old 07-08-2019, 7:56 AM

Default New to .45 ACP have questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
What about getting a g20 10mm Glock? Run 10mm and 40sw in stock barrel, add conversion barrel, mags and recoil springs to run 45

3 guns in 1

Otherwise I’d get TRP non rail or dan Wesson if 1911 route. Last month I got a USP expert 45 for $930 and dang accurate pistol. Trigger is similar feel to my SP01, so I can shoot it pretty fast. Mags were $33 each from grab a gun, not bad considering Glock mags are $30.

You can’t use a conversion barrel in a G20 to shoot .45. You’d have to get an entire G21 top end to put on the G20 frame if you wanted to go that route.

However, you can use a conversion barrel in a G21 to shoot 10mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by rlewpolar; 07-08-2019 at 7:58 AM..
Old 07-08-2019, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish45 View Post
It sounds like what you really want is a sig 220

I have 3 of them and they are superb.

If you are going to carry though, the G30 is the tops. I love mine and even softer shooting than than the P220 even though the P220 is bigger and heavier and metal.

I also have a G21. Also fantastic and very accurate. Here’s a recent 5 shot group from 25 yards offhand. Don’t let anyone tell you Glocks aren’t accurate.

Old 07-08-2019, 8:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

As far as the G41 goes... I love it. More than 1911's.

I got one SSE in 2015 or whenever that was. Totally worth looking for one. It is the Tactical Practical .45 similar to the G34 for the 9mm, gen4 updates, and one of only a couple slim slide .45 Glocks. The other ones are the 30S and the 36 AFAIK. Cool, accurate, fun gun. I have night sights on mine, but I'd love to have the MOS version slide. I might get one one of these days.

My favorite .45's are the 41 and the HK USP Expert .45... the only other ones I have are a RIA 1911 Match FS and a couple of Baby Eagle .45's (Jericho 941), and a G30S slide on a G29SF. Take a look at the Expert if you see one too.

Last edited by crufflers; 07-08-2019 at 8:39 AM..
Old 07-08-2019, 8:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperInExcretiaSumus View Post
Are you talking about the piece your palm would fit against? I was wondering why some had a hump on the back and some didn't. That would affect how it rests in your palm and would help with shooting high or low without sighting, right?
Now we are getting technical...

The "mainspring housing" is indeed the part that goes into your palm. What you'll notice is that most 1911 out of the box have it straight, but you can have it replaced.

Here is an image of two of mine, both superbly done by Brett Cifaldi (member here).

However, some high end 2011-s such as SVI Infinity have as an option what they call a "signature grip," which is very similar to Tanfoglio Limited Elite grip, where the top just under the beavertail sinks in and provides a swell of sorts.

In all cases it comes down to creating contact with the strong hand palm. you want to have as much contact as possible and as little gaps as possible - no gap under the beavertail, no gap under the trigger guard, no gap between strong and support hands, no gap between support hand fingers and trigger guard. Different shapes of the grip allow you to control this to match your hand.

It's not about high/low shooting. It's about recoil control and follow up shots. You control high/low by practicing in dry fire what's called "index" - the position of everything from your wrists to your shoulders and legs, allowing you to bring the gun to your dominant eye and have it pretty much aligned correctly immediately. Indexing is not directly connected to the shape of the grip, even if it might influence it as you're transitioning between grip shapes.
Old 07-08-2019, 8:54 AM

I am still stuck on the 1911A1, but I have learned a lot from asking this question and the resulting thread. I appreciate everyone's responses.

The store I normally go to is having a weekend event next month, it looks like there will be a number of the pistols discussed here for demo. I might hold off on anything until then, so I can try out multiple guns and see which one I like.

Also, this month's budget looks like it will be going towards acquiring the bolt action Bergara and Optic that I want since they're both on special.
Old 07-08-2019, 8:55 AM

I am really liking my HK USP Expert, it has quickly become my favorite semi-auto (I prefer revolvers), I highly recommend you try one before buying though. I didn't even handle one at the gunshop before I bought mine sight unseen, its a big gun with a big grip but it shoots so well.

I did shoot my Springfield 1911 yesterday, only put about 350 rounds through it, no mis-feeds, no-misfires, no-fails-to-eject, no nothing wrong, just bang every time. Up to over 4,000 rounds fired now with absolute reliability.

The HK was purchased because I wanted a light on my home defense gun and I don't like the way a 1911 looks with a rail, but I went back to my SAA with 5 rounds for that job because I am so comfortable with a SAA.

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 07-08-2019, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

I buy them all, own them, learn them, shoot with them and even sleep with them for several months at least. Gotta give a little time to appreciate a gun.

Thats the only way Im gonna find out which one I really like. At the end of the day I learn I like them all, turns out I just like guns period.

About fitment. I used to think fitment was important until I watched a petite 14 year old girl outshoot most of the field in a match using a full size pistol. That brought me to my senses about the matter.

Numerous 1911's of all kinds, HKs, Sigs, Glocks and Beretta have passed through my home, they are all great. Each has their own characteristics and story that can be appreciated, and with enough practice and focus can be shot with a great degee of skill. Of all of them, I think the Glock 21SF is the most pleasant .45 to shoot. It also has the worst trigger but one can get around that with practice and a positive state of mind. No trigger comes close to 1911. I think Dan Wesson is the best of all worlds in terms of quality and price.The HK match trigger, stock on the Expert and Elite, is a supreme DA/SA system, those pistols also have incredible accuracy for the price point.

After several months of ownership, I sell off the guns "I dont like as much" as the ones I got to "really like" and thats why I haven't gone broke picking my guns this way. I buy them used and in case I decide to sell, I can sell it with minimal loss, sometimes a small gain. The only time I'll buy a new pistol is after I already know it inside and out. Thats when a new gun smell smells the best.

Good luck, enjoy.

Last edited by caliberetta; 07-08-2019 at 5:33 PM..
Old 07-08-2019, 3:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberetta View Post
About fitment. I used to think fitment was important until I watched a petite 14 year old girl outshoot most of the field in a match using a full size pistol. That brought me to my senses about the matter.
I honestly think a pistol can be TOO ergonomic. I like some flat sides, but I love Blocks. I was a Block convert.

I think the G41 with Med backstrap is a beautiful thing.
Old 07-08-2019, 4:41 PM

I bought my first .45 a few months ago and went with the SA 1911 loaded as it was one of the most highly recommended guns when I asked about getting my first .45. I wanted a 1911 pretty much from the start but was open to other options. I went to my local range and rented one and was immediately sold. I own a Glock and sig (both 9mm) and considered their .45 offerings. I feel like for the money you get a lot of value for the loaded. So far I’ve put about 500 through my 1911 and haven’t had any problems. I’m happy with my decision and love that crisp 1911 trigger.
Old 07-08-2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewpolar View Post
You can’t use a conversion barrel in a G20 to shoot .45. You’d have to get an entire G21 top end to put on the G20 frame if you wanted to go that route.

However, you can use a conversion barrel in a G21 to shoot 10mm

Good to know! I thought the 20 was do all! I have a 10mm barrel for my g30
Old 07-08-2019, 5:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Cool

SA Loaded will do you nicely for a first 1911. You'll love it so much, you'll start trading that tupperware in on an Operator in no-time flat.
Old 07-08-2019, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

OP, checkout the Kimber Custom II. Its the entry level of the brand yet feature laden. They can be had for around mid $700 to low $800.00 in Cali if bought new.

I've owned Glocks, Berettas, .357 magnum revolvers, 22 LR pistols, and several brands of 1911s. The basic Kimber Custom II is my hands down favorite. Fact is, I've sold off most of my handguns but keeping my Kimber. Not being a fan boy of the brand as I've had Colts and Springfields too.
Old 07-08-2019, 7:23 PM

Wow, the Kimber is actually more affordable in certain ways than the SA Loaded. Too bad CA only allows one purchase a month, otherwise I could do an ebony/ivory (one SA 1911 in Stainless the other a blue Kimber).

Again, think I am going to hold off until August, because the LGS is having a demo event so I will probably get a chance to shoot some of the others.

I also am looking at spending about $2000 on a rifle and glass, I came for the rifles, but stayed for the handguns.
Old 07-08-2019, 7:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Been closely tempted by a couple of .45 1911's, but each time something else comes up.

When it comes to the market, I'm pretty sure this one would be my first .45 ACP gun:

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 07-08-2019, 7:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

SIG P220 with Hogue rubber grips - PERFECT...

Hogue website for SIG P220 rubber grips

SIG P220 rubber grips

To be is to do. (Plato)

Do be do be do. (Sinatra)
Old 07-08-2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
Good to know! I thought the 20 was do all! I have a 10mm barrel for my g30

The G21 is the do-all Glock. I think someone figured out you could shoot 9 different calibers with conversion barrels through it including 45 Super and 460 Rowland.

If I could only have one handgun, it’d be the G21.

Old 07-09-2019, 4:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Check out a Rock Island 1911. I've very happy with mine. Shoots well, not a single issue/problem with it and very affordable. That will give you more money towards the rifle and scope of your interest.
Old 07-09-2019, 4:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i have a glock 21 i like it a friend has the xd i shoot it better than my g21 its more confortable trigger feels nicer but i made my choice and have many mags for it

i guess during freedom week i could have got some comparable xd mags and became an xd owner but i snoozed
Old 07-09-2019, 5:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggieBoy View Post
Check out a Rock Island 1911. I've very happy with mine. Shoots well, not a single issue/problem with it and very affordable. That will give you more money towards the rifle and scope of your interest.
I'm happy with my RIA Match and SA Loaded, but they are still 1911's. The Loaded Target stainless 9mm is fancier looking I guess, unless you love matte parkerization. I am not convinced at all that a $5000 1911 would change my mind - might make the 1911 look worse.

I'd rather shoot a G41 and Walther PPQ or USP most days. Tastes vary.
Old 07-10-2019, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
I never had a problem finding GAP ammo, it was always just ~25% more expensive per box compared to .45 ACP. So if OP doesn't handload and doesn't want to foot the extra bill, then yeah, he should dismiss the GAP.
I looked it up for another thread and Double Tap makes a few loadings for the gap. Prices look about the same for the more common cals in the same category.
Old 07-10-2019, 7:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would say, start with a Sig P220 first if you want a full size or a Glock 21. Get used to the round and then jump into 1911's. Once you get used to a 1911, it will alter every fabric of your shooting world.

I have bought several Springfields that people say wont run and they were just fine, so believe what you will.

The 45 Acp is my favorite round. Everybody has a favorite.
Old 07-10-2019, 8:55 PM

If you're getting your first 45 it's gotta be a 1911!

I always thought I had medium sized hands and was paranoid that the G30sf would be too big, but it actually fits me well. I would only be worried about the G21 or G30 would be uncomfortable if you really had small hands, try it out at the LGS and see for yourself.

H&K USP's in 45 are awesome. Match triggers on the Expert/Elite have spoiled me.

It sounds like you've already got some Glocks. While Glocks are great and it's good you already know them, I think variety is the spice of life. I'd get a 1911 or a USP.
Old 07-10-2019, 9:07 PM

This thread has me genuinely in shock. OP has a monthly allowance of disposable income to purchase firearms, couple thousand for a bolt action, and in the name of expanding ones collection into 45 ACP is unsure if a 1911 is the next buy? It should have been bought yesterday FYI.

Kimber Custom II was my very first pistol approx ten years ago. After trying the “field” of other styles and calibers from Sig, Glock, HK, CZ, Ruger, S&W, Browning, it’s still hands down my favorite platform to shoot. Kimbers don’t get much love on forums often and I could care less, get the Springer like EVERYONE does. Get a RIA, spoiler alert, it will work fine. Feeling frisky, get a Dan Wesson. $2K territory, your hesitation now says you’re not ready for it. OP start with ANY 1911 and put this thread to bed.

To be clear, I’m not saying it’s the best gun by any means, I’m just saying there’s no excuse for not having the platform in your collection when you have money to burn. It’s easily the standard to which I compare all other pistols to, and for a range toy and improbable SHTF scenario, some others may come out on top, but most don’t.
Old 07-10-2019, 9:56 PM
Calguns Addict

There was a similar thread back in February entitled - Is the 1911 pistol dependable as a SD weapon, your thoughts ~

This was my contribution to that thread; but, I think it would benefit your decision-making process to read the thread in its entirety.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

OP did you play with a G30 ? Love my G21. It’s in my Grab n Go kit. Not a 1911 fan but do think everyone should own one. Plus if you have to use it in a HD Scenario you only lose a $500 gun.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:16 AM

OP, after some reflection and a brief check of your post history let me say my bit about disposable income could be taken the wrong way relatively speaking. Meant nothing by it other than I’d really like to see you the owner of a 1911 and no it doesn’t take wads of cash to have a dependable and enjoyable one. Thank you for your service and consider the marketplace forum for your next purchase from another calgunner.
Old 07-11-2019, 9:02 AM

Double post delete

Last edited by dave85620; 07-11-2019 at 9:04 AM.. Reason: Delete
Old 07-11-2019, 9:03 AM

Everytime I watch the movie Street Kings it makes me want a S&W 4506-1 or 1911. Keanu Reeves character uses these two guns and gives the impression that .45 is for professionals.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Calguns Addict

All 45 roads eventually lead to the 1911

Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 AM

I also have 3 Springfield armory semi autos. Never had a problem. I wanted a 1911 but didn’t want to learn a different drawing technique and have to go back and forth when I change carry guns.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Rent, shoot, decide, buy.
This^

No reason to buy first only to find out later that a particular gun just isn't for you.

There are plenty of ranges that rent a good variety of available guns. Put enough rounds down range to get a good, or bad, first impression; then decide.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet-wyatt View Post
SIG P220 with Hogue rubber grips - PERFECT...
I tend to agree about the Sig P220 (3) with Hogue rubber grips (I prefer the grips without finger grooves).

Of course, I also love my 1911 pistols (Les Baer - 2, DW - 2, Colt - 1, SA - 4). All function well and shoot great.

In fact, let's face it, the .45 ACP is an inherently accurate cartridge, in Colt, Sig, 1911, Glock and S&W 3rd Gen pistols.

Just my $ .02 . . . FWIW

Last edited by Denver Dick; 07-11-2019 at 11:34 AM..
Old 07-11-2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
OP, after some reflection and a brief check of your post history let me say my bit about disposable income could be taken the wrong way relatively speaking. Meant nothing by it other than I’d really like to see you the owner of a 1911 and no it doesn’t take wads of cash to have a dependable and enjoyable one. Thank you for your service and consider the marketplace forum for your next purchase from another calgunner.
No worries. I live in a poor neighborhood, but I am not a poor man. I just bought when I was younger, and now I have tons of equity. Looking to purchase a second home, soon and either offload or rent this one out. Which is why I limit my disposable income that I spend (that and it's probably better to spend money making money than it is buying weapons, but hey, gotta live, right?).

I've kind of come to the conclusion that I will get a more modern striker fire .45 as well as a 1911, I'm just looking at which 1911 and which striker fire and what order I get them in depends on deals that I find.

I'm trying to get my long guns in order, ultimately I'd like another lever action in a hunting caliber (although this is lower in priority than the .45), something in 5.56 (maybe the ruger mini or a black rifle), the M1A, and a couple bolt actions for hunting/precision shooting.
Old 07-11-2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
1911 is not something you buy because you have a utility wish-list for comparing everything from polymer strikers to high-end custom 1911s.

Shoot a good 1911 and if you don't like it, you just saved yourself a lot of money. If you do like it, you won't think about pros and cons, you'll just want one. If you shoot a finely tuned 1911/2011 platform, you will have experienced the top of the top in trigger and shootability, something you'll compare all other guns too. Is it sufficient to make you want one? It depends on you.

I've never heard anyone say "this trigger is so great, it feels like a finely tuned Glock." I have heard plenty being compared to a good 1911/2011, though.
All of this. I love 1911s, but I only recommend them after someone's shot one and gotten hooked. I only have one buddy who's caught the bug, the rest have gone glock/beretta/etc.
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 07-14-2019, 6:58 PM

G21's are big.

If you are comfortable with your G17/19, then you should probably stay with something in that general grip circumference.

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 07-14-2019, 7:32 PM

I'm glad to hear they are good. I've come pretty close to buying the Custom ii on a few occasions. Never owned a 1911 or .45 in general. The price is decent as Turner's has these on sale often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
OP, checkout the Kimber Custom II. Its the entry level of the brand yet feature laden. They can be had for around mid $700 to low $800.00 in Cali if bought new.

I've owned Glocks, Berettas, .357 magnum revolvers, 22 LR pistols, and several brands of 1911s. The basic Kimber Custom II is my hands down favorite. Fact is, I've sold off most of my handguns but keeping my Kimber. Not being a fan boy of the brand as I've had Colts and Springfields too.
Old 07-14-2019, 9:33 PM

I got a chance to hold the P220, grip is nice, feels okay in my hand. I asked if I could try a tear down and a test drive. I shot it the same as I did the 1911, but the ergonomics weren't as good as the 1911 and it seems to be about the same price as a decent 1911 specimen anyway.

I still need to try the springfield XD 45 and the HK USP 45.

I also noticed they had a nighthawk in the case neighboring the Sigs... it was only $2,600.00. For some reason, that sounds way more reasonable than $3,000.00.

Maybe I have just been drinking the punch. Stay tuned.