Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 08-08-2018, 1:27 PM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 745
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

All - an update from our new Command General. Individuals desiring to join the State Military Reserve's new Maritime Component must now have prior nautical or sea service. This means consideration will be for prior US Navy, Marines, Coast Guard or Merchant Mariners. USCG-Aux is under consideration. All Army and Air components still accept civilians without prior military experience. That is all.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 01-02-2019, 11:24 AM
zperk zperk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 25
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default CA State Military Reserve

Does anyone have any experience in transferring to CSMR from another State’s SDF? Do they honor your rank, experience and professional schooling from another state?

I’m originally from CA, but have lived in NY for the last 4 years. Currently an E5 in the New York Guard (SDF) but beginning OCS this month. I’m considering moving back home to CA in a few years, at which time I will likely be a 2LT or 1LT.

Would CSMR honor my NYG service if I transferred, or would I start over as a college educated E4 again?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01-03-2019, 12:35 AM
E Pluribus Unum's Avatar
E Pluribus Unum E Pluribus Unum is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,071
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zperk View Post
Does anyone have any experience in transferring to CSMR from another State’s SDF? Do they honor your rank, experience and professional schooling from another state?

I’m originally from CA, but have lived in NY for the last 4 years. Currently an E5 in the New York Guard (SDF) but beginning OCS this month. I’m considering moving back home to CA in a few years, at which time I will likely be a 2LT or 1LT.

Would CSMR honor my NYG service if I transferred, or would I start over as a college educated E4 again?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The short answer is "quite probably". CSMR and NYG are the top 2 SDF's. I have heard of people moving to CA and CSMR honoring their rank/accouterments. It will depend on the recruiting rules at the time you transfer.

If you hit them with a "I was in NYG, I was a 1LT, trust me..." the answer would likely be no.

If you hit the ground running with an up-to-date, current 201 file that has all of your accolades neatly spelled-out in the proper format, then the answer is more likely yes.

These are questions for recruiting and even if you get an answer today chances are that it could change in two years so I think any attempt at a solid answer would be moot.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gura
The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 01-03-2019, 8:35 AM
zperk zperk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 25
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default CA State Military Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
The short answer is "quite probably". CSMR and NYG are the top 2 SDF's.
Ha, I’m sure TXSG and GSDF would have something to say about that! But thank you for the recognition, we in NY strive to do our best within the framework provided by our TAG, and definitely look to CSMR to see how much better we can be.



Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
If you hit them with a "I was in NYG, I was a 1LT, trust me..." the answer would likely be no.



If you hit the ground running with an up-to-date, current 201 file that has all of your accolades neatly spelled-out in the proper format, then the answer is more likely yes.
Absolutely. As an S1 staffer I keep meticulous records, and certainly wouldn’t have gotten into the OCS program without having been able to write an effective military bio with the 201 and documentation to back it up.

And I hear you on the rest - policy today is not policy two years from now. Just curious if there was an existing “we don’t recognize commissions from other states” policy in effect. Sounds like I will cross that bridge if and when it comes to that.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 01-03-2019, 12:08 PM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 745
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Unfortunately Regulations 600-1, -2 & -3 won't recognize prior SDF service with another any other state (or Country for that matter).

California will recognize Title 10 / 14 and USPH / NOAA Officer & Warrant Officer ranks as equivalent, but for enlisted - broken time may impact your rank when you return to service (or accession as its called in the CSMR).

Not that the gaining unit (Army, Air or Navy) won't appreciate your skills. And depending on if you meet the requirements for Officer / Warrant Officer Candidate school - that is a path to Title 32 rank. There are a very limited number of Direct Commissions that can occur if you have one of the 5-6 specialized areas the State is looking for qualified leaders to run Chaplains, JAG, Medical, ICS Emergency Management and Cyber.

And yes - TSG is 3x larger than California's - but I don't think NY or TX will be bigger for much longer...
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01-04-2019, 11:08 AM
Snoopy47's Avatar
Snoopy47 Snoopy47 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,655
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
These are questions for recruiting and even if you get an answer today chances are that it could change in two years so I think any attempt at a solid answer would be moot.
I think a solid answer to the Guard and Reserves is that in 2 years they will be more desperate than they are now.

The complicated answer is going to be in how that exactly effects recruiting and which MOS's and rank tiers will be impacted.

For example, even reservist Warehouse Clerks of E1+ who are already "IN" are getting re-enlistment bonuses of $20,000.

When I went in the only ones I saw get $20K were ACTIVE EOD techs after they went through HELL to get EOD qualified.
__________________
Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-07-2019, 9:55 AM
zperk zperk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 25
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCobraManTim View Post
Unfortunately Regulations 600-1, -2 & -3 won't recognize prior SDF service with another any other state (or Country for that matter).

California will recognize Title 10 / 14 and USPH / NOAA Officer & Warrant Officer ranks as equivalent, but for enlisted - broken time may impact your rank when you return to service (or accession as its called in the CSMR).

Not that the gaining unit (Army, Air or Navy) won't appreciate your skills. And depending on if you meet the requirements for Officer / Warrant Officer Candidate school - that is a path to Title 32 rank. There are a very limited number of Direct Commissions that can occur if you have one of the 5-6 specialized areas the State is looking for qualified leaders to run Chaplains, JAG, Medical, ICS Emergency Management and Cyber.

And yes - TSG is 3x larger than California's - but I don't think NY or TX will be bigger for much longer...


Thank you for the response. To clarify, my Title 32 commission in NY will be meaningless in a transfer to Title 32 with CSMR?

From your perspective, where does that leave me? With my previous Title 32 NY enlisted rank of E5? Back down to E4 (with a degree)? All the way down to E1?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 01-07-2019, 1:00 PM
E Pluribus Unum's Avatar
E Pluribus Unum E Pluribus Unum is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,071
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zperk View Post
Thank you for the response. To clarify, my Title 32 commission in NY will be meaningless in a transfer to Title 32 with CSMR?

From your perspective, where does that leave me? With my previous Title 32 NY enlisted rank of E5? Back down to E4 (with a degree)? All the way down to E1?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A man with a heartbeat and no college degree enters at E3. Most of the time college degree, police officer or EMT enters at E4. This is with zero prior service.

I could see an E5 coming in at E5 with no break in service. That certainly is more preferable than giving an 18 year old E4 because he went to 3 weekends of EMT class...but I don't make the rules.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gura
The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 01-13-2019, 12:51 PM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 745
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Zperk,

Sorry - I'm just reading you what the Regs are (they used to be openly available at www.calguard.ca.gov CSMR).

As I said - there could be that a case is made for your NYSG Title 32 position, but it's not Recruiting or even MACOM's call - it's entirely up to HQ.

Just setting the expectation & hoping that it would work out for you!

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 03-19-2019, 11:00 PM
hmanzano hmanzano is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for CSMR recruiters to get back to you? I’ve been considering joining and I’ve applied but not heard back yet. I also had some questions about CSMR like what the initial training consists of. I was also wondering if in the CSMR there are MOS’s and if there are then what the training for these jobs consists of. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for my total ignorance on the subject.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 03-20-2019, 6:33 PM
E Pluribus Unum's Avatar
E Pluribus Unum E Pluribus Unum is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,071
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmanzano View Post
Does anyone know how long it usually takes for CSMR recruiters to get back to you? I’ve been considering joining and I’ve applied but not heard back yet. I also had some questions about CSMR like what the initial training consists of. I was also wondering if in the CSMR there are MOS’s and if there are then what the training for these jobs consists of. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for my total ignorance on the subject.
I have heard nightmares about recruiting.
One cannot always believe what he hears.

Keep one thing in mind and you cannot go wrong: "It is a privilege to serve."

Here is basic info for you:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...litary_Reserve


Welcome
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gura
The Second Amendment now applies to state and local governments. Our lawsuit is a reminder to state and local bureaucrats that we have a Bill of Rights in this country, not a Bill of Needs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03-23-2019, 6:26 AM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 745
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Regarding Recruiting- like much of the CSMR, there are changes afoot. Systems and processing, including marketing are being upgraded, digitized, etc.

In short - the typical time from you filling out a (1) Interest Form, (2) Application form, (3) attending an orientation or Mini-MEPs as I call it, and (4) awaiting orders to complete your live scan. An Oath takes place shortly thereafter as Orders are cut.

I’ve seen anywhere from 1-4 months being the “norm” in the last 1-2 years but please, please PLEASE- make sure to have the originals of the required documents, bring any VA rating letters (including diagnosis) and be honest with the JAG (military lawyer) regarding any past transgressions.

The process goes much smoother!

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 03-27-2019, 4:02 AM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 745
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

A reminder and update "...per the California Military Department / California State Military Reserve (CSMR) HQ and the Government Affairs Office (Policy and Liaison) - CSMR service members, without prior federal service, do not meet the state (or federal) definition of "veteran", therefore CSMR membership does not qualify for CalVet Home Loans.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 08-27-2019, 3:55 PM
nevets's Avatar
nevets nevets is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 99
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

How does everyone feel about the name transition from State Military Reserve to State Guard? Personally, I like the new designation better. It just seems more applicable and historically accurate I guess, but that's just my .02 lol.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 08-27-2019, 7:44 PM
theunpunisher theunpunisher is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 12
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

When I went to the orientation/medical eval this summer, they mentioned the name change and I thought to myself that sounds much better.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 05-02-2020, 1:22 AM
Nacho_Eater Nacho_Eater is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: In a desert
Posts: 305
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Hi, I'm prior service (ETS'd as a SGT) and I have a few questions for the CSG folks here:

1. What training opportunities are available on the Army side? Does the CSG have its own version of the Army's Basic Leadership Course, Advanced Leadership Course, etc or do they send their soldiers to regular Army or Army National Guard schools?

2. Is there a cyber defense component in the CSG?

3. This is a sensitive topic but I need to ask, do you ever feel looked down upon or disrespected by Army National Guard soldiers? Do they salute CSG officers?

Thanks for your service. I appreciate very much everything that CSG soldiers/airman/sailors do for the state of California!
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 05-03-2020, 3:29 PM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 745
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

M1NM - we're almost complete with the refurbishment of USCG Motor Life Boat #2 (one of the hot rods). Engines done - getting some SFPD stickers off it. Recommissioning is not far off! Down south we'll get John boats and a couple Zodiacs for floods and swift water respectively. Exciting times for our sailors!
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 05-03-2020, 3:41 PM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 745
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Yum.... Nachos! Dammit man - you're making me hungry. I might have to do an Alberto's run. Right - on to questions:

#1 - Army side training can be a reduced amount of MOS's and in some cases - shortened duration. Yes - we have a BLC, SLC & ALC and even OCS. Each Component (Army, Air, and Maritime) have or are danger close to launching their individual Basic Orientation Course (BOC). Army has done a great job (give credit were its due) with their 3-6 month program for Prior & non-prior service types. In some cases - our service members attend courses or qualifications alongside our CAARNG, CANG or US Army / Air Force brothers and sisters.

#2 - Yes - sort of. Cyber is an ever evolving item. Let them know you have IT skills - they will keep track of you!

#3 - It's really difficult for National Guard troops or airmen to tell the difference from CA State Guard in many cases. They are required to render salutes or military courtesy to anyone of higher rank, regardless of their Branch or Title 10 vs 32 affiliation. That said -I've had people cross the street just to avoid MARPAT style uniforms (or CALPAT as we called them). So it happens regardless. The best advise is to gauge each situation on its merit and circumstances. If a gaggle of soldiers passes by, and the senior enlisted or officer doesn't render proper courtesy - and I overhear them joking about it - I will pull the senior individual aside and educate them about AR600-20, and perhaps toss in if they don't meet AR670-1 regulations while I'm at. Normally - I use it as a friendly exchange and diffuse such situations - One Team - One Fight.

Always glad to provide the feedback I can! Anyone can adjust my fire or course correction if I got anything wrong.

S/f,

LT (CA) Grizzle
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 05-03-2020, 4:12 PM
Nacho_Eater Nacho_Eater is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: In a desert
Posts: 305
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

LT Grizzle,

Thank you very much for that info. It answered all my questions.

I was in the CAARNG (40th ID) years ago and would occasionally see CSMR (now CSG) troops out and about. I always rendered the proper courtesy to them.

I'll call a recruiter about cyber opportunities.

V/R,
Nacho
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 05-03-2020, 4:46 PM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 745
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Thanks for your service - first and foremost!

Outstanding regarding your interest! Please visit https://calguard.ca.gov/csg/ and either email or call with your interest in serving again.

You can also visit: https://stateguard.cmd.ca.gov/ which we're reworking for an automated accession process (mini-MEPS online).

LT Grizzle
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 05-14-2020, 4:28 PM
theunpunisher theunpunisher is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 12
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

After a long wait, a few weekends ago I was finally sworn into the CSG Maritime Component. I'm ready to go to work!
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 05-14-2020, 6:58 PM
CrazyCobraManTim's Avatar
CrazyCobraManTim CrazyCobraManTim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 745
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Rock On! Welcome Aboard!!
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 05-15-2020, 9:54 AM
theunpunisher theunpunisher is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 12
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 05-17-2020, 8:35 AM
Yute Yute is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: West Coast
Posts: 271
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I just wanted to give a shoutout to the CSG folks - I just got off a COVID-19 mission working alongside CSG medical teams and they were absolutely fantastic. They brought huge experience from their civilian occupations which was essential to the mission. Everyone of them were professionals and highly motivated despite the difficult conditions. Can't wait to work with them again.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 07-10-2020, 12:10 PM
Mauserguy's Avatar
Mauserguy Mauserguy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 190
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I have a question for you State Guard guys. I was talking to an old friend last weekend. He is a retired marine. He mentioned that when he retired he missed serving, and of course, the subject of riots were discussed. I suggested he should have looked at the CSMR. He has health problems now, so that's not an option, but did the State Guard deploy in any way during the recent riots?

Mauserguy
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 07-13-2020, 8:07 AM
ECG_88's Avatar
ECG_88 ECG_88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 719
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauserguy View Post
I have a question for you State Guard guys. I was talking to an old friend last weekend. He is a retired marine. He mentioned that when he retired he missed serving, and of course, the subject of riots were discussed. I suggested he should have looked at the CSMR. He has health problems now, so that's not an option, but did the State Guard deploy in any way during the recent riots?

Mauserguy
Yes and no. People worked the EOCs as liaisons, and some did security at the armories. Got paid about $300 a day for 6 days for ESAD. However, I did not see anyone get to go to the front lines.
__________________
Emotional appeal is a marketing tactic and not a foundation for effective argument.

Nulla Fatere, Omnia Nega, Accusatorem Accusa
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:37 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2020, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.
Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Tactical Gear Military Boots 5.11 Tactical