Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-22-2007, 10:06 PM

Exclamation $20,000 bubba'ed K98

Damn . . .

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=80436632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legasat View Post
Glocks blow up, SIGs have a high bore axis, Beretta locking blocks break, Ruger is anti-gun, 1911s are unreliable, and HK hates you. Get over it.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Did you look at the bid history? The both of em love K-98's their feedback for auctions won read like German history 101.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Calguns Addict

ohhhhhhhhh god god. looks like gunbroker's going the way of e-puke now

~Molôn Labé!!~

1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep
Old 09-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Calguns Addict

swjXE, it's a rare steyr bubbahed kar98

Probably worth lots if restored

Finger print recognition is one more thing that keeps your killamajig from performing its killimafunction
Old 09-23-2007, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_action View Post

Me thinkem it was it mustem beenem latem nightem drunken fumblem fingersem.

I am sure gunbroker has rules like ebay where drunken finger bids placed late at night are not binding if proven to be well above asking and past historical winning auction prices.

None the less the fellow has another nice one, though the price seems to keep going up on these things. I seem to always be willing to pay last years price and always waiting for it to go down to last years price and with the exception of the current AR/AK feeding frenzy over the last 20 years, it never seems to go down to last years price. This might also explain why those AR's and AK's have multiplied like rabbits around the house and they now must share time in the gunsafe, or behind the bedroom door, or buried up in the attic, or disassembled and boxed and put into storage while my collection of other milsurp has suffered.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=81144206
Old 09-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Bubbaed meaning sporterized?
Old 09-23-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedEye View Post
Bubbaed meaning sporterized?
Yes.

Mauser collectors are an eccentric lot. No drunk bidding there. That is likely the only surviving rifle with that code. Shame it was sportered, but if the metal is authentic, it is very rare. Check out the seller's less than stellar feedback though.

Last edited by want_ar; 09-23-2007 at 12:24 PM..
Old 09-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Only 300-400 K98s with that type of Steyr manufacturing stamp (swjXe) were made. They switched to 'BNZ' afterwards.

EDITED to be correct, I made the mistake earlier of confusing BYF with BNZ.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.

Last edited by Dr. Peter Venkman; 09-23-2007 at 1:58 PM..
Old 09-23-2007, 12:55 PM

Imagine what it would be worth unbutchered with all matching parts!!
Old 09-23-2007, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Peter Venkman View Post
Only 300-400 K98s with that type of Steyr manufacturing stamp (swjXe) were made. They switched to 'Byf' afterwards.
byf is a Mauser Oberndorf code. To the best of my knowledge the only codes ever used (on K98s) by Steyr were "660" and "bnz".

The records of makers code that I have do not show either "swj" or "swjXE" being used on K98s. At some point between 42 and 45 "swj" was used on MG42s made by Steyer. I suppose towards the end, they didn't get too picky about this sort of thing, but it's still weird.

It is a late war rifle though as the "Mod 98" wasn't moved to the top of the receiver until early 45. Who made it still up in the air. Either way in my opinion, if it sold for 20G, someone got ripped off.

Last edited by dustoff31; 09-23-2007 at 1:33 PM..
Old 09-23-2007, 1:41 PM
Veteran Member

Obviously the seller did not even know what he had as the only clue to the swjXE code was the one in the photo. He added a mention of the code later. Also his start price was only $279.

All his christmases must have came at once.

Life can make you do many things, even kiss a man with a runny nose.

- Mihail Timofeevič Kalašnikov -
Old 09-23-2007, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoff31 View Post
byf is a Mauser Oberndorf code. To the best of my knowledge the only codes ever used (on K98s) by Steyr were "660" and "bnz".

The records of makers code that I have do not show either "swj" or "swjXE" being used on K98s. At some point between 42 and 45 "swj" was used on MG42s made by Steyer. I suppose towards the end, they didn't get too picky about this sort of thing, but it's still weird.

It is a late war rifle though as the "Mod 98" wasn't moved to the top of the receiver until early 45. Who made it still up in the air. Either way in my opinion, if it sold for 20G, someone got ripped off.
Slip of the tongue. Too much **** going on in my head. Good catch.

BNZ, not BYF!

Here's what I found:

http://latewar.com/html/weapons.html

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

Still up in the air, but could be the real deal.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.

Last edited by Dr. Peter Venkman; 09-23-2007 at 1:58 PM..
Old 09-23-2007, 3:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Peter Venkman View Post
Slip of the tongue. Too much **** going on in my head. Good catch.

BNZ, not BYF!

Here's what I found:

http://latewar.com/html/weapons.html

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

Still up in the air, but could be the real deal.
No problem. I was doing the same thing trying to look up the SWJ, getting it mixed up with the other SW*'s.

It could be real, the WAa 623 is stamped on the barrel by the Ser no, but he doesn't show the ser no. on the receiver. Steyer was one of the few that was very good about matching them.

I don't think I would spend that much on it, real or not.
Old 09-24-2007, 8:57 AM

The seller from Eagle Idaho is a known humper. That being said, the rifle he sold was a very rare bubba'd 98K.

There are threads on this sale on both the K98 Forum on Gunboards and the G/K43 Forum. The buyer knew what he was doing.

http://www.gk43forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3202

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=3077

I wish I had that kind of disposable income.

Old 09-24-2007, 1:35 PM
Calguns Addict

What's a 'humper' mean among collectors?
Old 09-24-2007, 2:05 PM

a humper is someone who passes off renumbered rifles as authentic.

Last edited by sen24; 09-24-2007 at 2:11 PM..
Old 09-24-2007, 2:30 PM

wow....even though it was sporterized its still able to legitimately fetch 20k?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:30 AM
Banned

I have to wonder if it isn't a setup... Like the first year sks that went for $1400.
Ppls go nuts in auctions. The object is still worth base price. Bubba firearm is $200 max. Is the buyer going to remake it into a facsimile of a real gun from that production run? Another problem is with the japanese type 99 weapons. Ground blum mean asenal never put into service. Except the grinding practice stopped in 1946. So many blums are? Some blum dies are still around for $1000. So is u'rs ground ans stuck again? Is it a field capture? Nobody knows. My 99 is ground at the arsenal when the gi picked it up for free. Its a never issued weapon and only proofed. Paper work rules!
I worked with dies for 12 years and can make anything u need..I won't. But there are others that will. So be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion View Post
wow....even though it was sporterized its still able to legitimately fetch 20k?
Old 09-26-2007, 9:04 AM
Calguns Addict

You are right about some people getting dies made and restamping things. Heck, even Numrich arms sells a waffenampt, and a german stock acceptance stamp. And of course number stamps are readily available.

As to the mum issue on Japanese rifles. The mums were ground off or defaced after the surrender of Japan when the weapons were turned in to the Americans. This was a dispensation allowed by McArthur because the Japanese considered the mum as the symbol of the emperor, who they regarded as a diety. So it was sort of like giving up a rifle with the mum intact was worse than surrendering.

That's why everyone wants a rifle with the mum intact. Assumming it's real, it it most likely a vet bringback from the battlefield.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy2k View Post
Some blum dies are still around for $1000. So is u'rs ground ans stuck again? Is it a field capture? Nobody knows.
I worked with dies for 12 years and can make anything u need..I won't. But there are others that will. So be it.
There's at least one guy out there who will sell you any or all of the aresnal dies ever used to stamp Garand stocks throughout their entire production. Or for a lesser fee he'll mark any stock you send him with whatever stamp(s) you want. Makes you wonder how many conterfeits are being passed off as the real deal.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Jap Mum?

Ok, Noob question here.

I actually inhereted my jap rifle from my Grandfather. He brought it back, I have the papers. Mum is intact, but he had someone rechamber to it 30-06, because he said 30-06 was easier to find and shoot. With that short stock, with metal butt plate, I have been to afraid to fire it.

So, how do I find out what it's worth?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:44 AM

late model = crappy tooling. This guy is a loon.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarry scarney View Post
Ok, Noob question here.

I actually inhereted my jap rifle from my Grandfather. He brought it back, I have the papers. Mum is intact, but he had someone rechamber to it 30-06, because he said 30-06 was easier to find and shoot. With that short stock, with metal butt plate, I have been to afraid to fire it.

Rechambered mod'ed stock Arisakas don't go for anything near the mint rifles, and the mint rifles don't go for much anyway. There are a few on gun broker right now, just search for "Arisaka".
Old 09-26-2007, 10:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTuffPaws View Post
late model = crappy tooling. This guy is a loon.
Oh really? So you know for a fact that every a model has crappy tooling? And that every facility producing these guns made at the end of the war had crappy tooling. WOW I guess all Mauser collectors should ask your opinion prior to making a purchase.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoff31 View Post
You are right about some people getting dies made and restamping things. Heck, even Numrich arms sells a waffenampt, and a german stock acceptance stamp. And of course number stamps are readily available.

As to the mum issue on Japanese rifles. The mums were ground off or defaced after the surrender of Japan when the weapons were turned in to the Americans. This was a dispensation allowed by McArthur because the Japanese considered the mum as the symbol of the emperor, who they regarded as a diety. So it was sort of like giving up a rifle with the mum intact was worse than surrendering.

That's why everyone wants a rifle with the mum intact. Assumming it's real, it it most likely a vet bringback from the battlefield.
FYI, savy collectors know what renumbering looks like. Colt 1911's are the most likely to be renumber. There is a well known rip-off artist in the OC/LA area that has been doing this very successfully for years.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarry scarney View Post
Ok, Noob question here.

$100 if you're lucky

a modified bolt is enough to make a $300 arisaka go to $150

Finger print recognition is one more thing that keeps your killamajig from performing its killimafunction
Old 09-26-2007, 11:51 AM

$100 is $50 more than what I thought it was worth!

Even if it was $500 or $5000, could never get rid of because it was my Grandfather's, who served in USMC in WWII, "captured it" and brought it back.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerman View Post
FYI, savy collectors know what renumbering looks like. Colt 1911's are the most likely to be renumber. There is a well known rip-off artist in the OC/LA area that has been doing this very successfully for years.
Oh I know. And when you point out the fakery, they always have the same excuse. "Well yes, that's the way is was normally done, but this was a special thing only done every other Tuesday during the last phase of the moon in 1943," or they just tell you don't know what your talking about.