Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-04-2014, 11:56 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Default $99 Classic Mosin Nagants: The Good And The Bad

I ordered 2 of the Molot Grade B Mosins from Classic around Christmas time. I paid the $10 more for hand select. I figured having a couple beater shooters for the desert couldn't hurt. They arrived securely packaged in the Molot packing boxes which are much better than some past shipments where the rifle is loose in an oversized box with the bolt handle ripped through the side. Both rifles are wartime ('42 and "45) Ishevsk.

My appraisal of these rifles is mixed. Both were all matching except for mag plate force matching. Neither were counterbored. So far so good. One has a blonde stock in excellent shape with no repairs and nice escutcheons. However it had lots of scratches and the finish was peeling off. The other is more of a mottled red stock with one small repair near the nose and missing the escutcheons entirely. Both rifles had small areas of extremely minor surface rust which came off easily. Thankfully there was no pitting or damage.

The rifles were not in cosmoline. They were sort of dirty though with a super musty smell. I did a complete tear down on both rifles and all the internals looked great. The metal parts soaked overnight in mineral spirits.

The mottled red stock looked pretty good so i just wiped it down. The other stock was stripped of the varnish and recoated with 10 coats of Tung oil. I am frankly not worried about devaluing a $99 rifle and I really like the blonde natural grain. I have been pleased with my amateur refinishing jobs on other rifles so that was that.

When I got the rifles back together the refinished one looked and functioned great. It is a total keeper. The red one has an issue where the trigger is not resetting consistently. You can also (sometimes) pull the bolt back and it releases from the receiver without the trigger being pressed.

I looked at everything closely and nothing appears to be missing. Using a different bolt I replicated the problem so the problem is in the trigger assembly somewhere I guess. The trigger can be manually reset to get it to fire but it does not reset about 1/2 the time. There is no cosmoline or gunk in the receiver anywhere, so I am unsure what is the problem.

Anyway, here are some pics. The blondie was refinished and works great. The red one has the trigger issue.

Any suggestions or remedies for the above problem are earnestly appreciated.

Last edited by Bobby Ricigliano; 01-05-2014 at 12:08 AM..
Old 01-05-2014, 12:11 AM

That blonde looks terrific!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:14 AM

The red stock is wartime production. That is why there is no metal. Nice rifles.
Located in Norcal.
Old 01-05-2014, 5:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&Rtrader View Post
The red stock is wartime production. That is why there is no metal. Nice rifles.
The front should have a small one if I recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemBastards View Post
Judging from the last shoot I think we are the wrong group to ask about sighting in Mosins haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!
Old 01-05-2014, 6:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I bet you dropped the trigger pivot pin while putting the Acton back in the stock. Take a look and see if it is missing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Old 01-05-2014, 6:30 AM

Nice looking Mosins, Bobby. The one you bubba'd, er, refinished, turned out great. Well done.

I bought one of these Molot refurbs too, right before the usurpation of our C&R rights by CA lawmakers. $99 plus $10 for hand select. Wood and metal great. Nice bore (not counterbored). Moderate to little cosmo. Nice Molot shipping box.

Took it up to the Glass Factory a couple of weeks ago, great shooter! Butter smooth bolt. Very accurate. I only wish I had ordered a couple more.

[/URL]
Old 01-05-2014, 6:34 AM
Calguns Addict

my blond 1944 TULA PU is also a beautiful blond like the one you have. i used flaxseed oil from a health food store. some stocks just beg to be naked.
sorry i do not have helpful info on the problem you are having.
Old 01-05-2014, 6:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Bobby that trigger issue might be a missing trigger pivot pin or a bent sear/sear spring. The trigger pivot pin is, well, the pin that holds the trigger in place. The sear is the flat piece of metal with the square piece that engages the bolt cocking piece.
Take the action out of the stock. Remove the bolt. Looking at the trigger assy from the side, work the trigger. You should see the top of the trigger pulling down on the sear spring and lowering the sear (square piece that engages the bolt cocking piece).

If no parts are missing then the sear might be bent or out of spec.
Old 01-05-2014, 7:52 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Bobby

I had a reset and trigger going off with too little pressure issue with my Hungarian M44. A new trigger assembly from Liberty Tree Collectors fixed it easily and quickly. Worth it, don't mess with Mosin triggers, replace them.

Old 01-05-2014, 8:10 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. Having misplaced trigger pivot pins in the past, I made sure those were there when I reassembled the rifle, so I guess that means the issue is with the sear. If this was 2013, I would just be lazy and sell the rifle off at a loss and go get another one. However now it is a PITA to deal with selling a rifle to someone else when I haven't even sent in the paperwork and fee to register it to myself yet. So I will take it apart again and see how the sear looks. If it isn't easy I will take the advice and get a new trigger assembly. Thanks again everyone for the advice.
Old 01-05-2014, 8:04 PM

A guy I know had the same problem and the issue turned out to be a broken sear spring. A replacement sear spring fixed the problem.

BTW, congrats! You have a pair of nice looking rifles.
Old 01-05-2014, 9:06 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I want to again thank everyone who posted suggestions on the malfunctioning Mosin. The problem turned out to be nothing more than a loose sear screw. I removed it, cleaned out the area thoroughly, put a dab of blue loctite, and tightened it down. Voila! The trigger reset, bolt, and everything else is in perfect working order.

The only thing that got me thinking is that I have NEVER messed with that screw in at least a dozen other MN's I have owned and all of them have been 100% reliable without exception. I guess this is one additional pre-flight check to make on new Mosins.
Old 01-05-2014, 9:59 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Always nice to just discover it is just something loose. Easy fixes are the best. I have had my Mosins become loose in the stock, the whole action slopping around. Tightened it down and the rifle became (Mosin) accurate again. I like the blonde, she is a looker. Ironic, blonde women do nothing for me but blonde guns are hot!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:45 PM

Ugh, now i want a blonde to go with all my red heads. Very nice looking
Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Always nice to just discover it is just something loose. Easy fixes are the best. I have had my Mosins become loose in the stock, the whole action slopping around. Tightened it down and the rifle became (Mosin) accurate again. I like the blonde, she is a looker. Ironic, blonde women do nothing for me but blonde guns are hot!
I have had a few Mosins that perceptibly shift in the stock when you pull the trigger. I make it a habit now to use a bit of loctite on the top and bottom receiver screws during reassembly.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrat View Post
Ugh, now i want a blonde to go with all my red heads. Very nice looking
Citristrip + Tung Oil = Blonde.

And thanks!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Calguns Addict

1945? That's a pretty rare year for 91/30s.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 01-06-2014, 8:22 AM

I have had many many rare Mosins, but never a 45. By 45 they produced very few long rifles anymore. If it is a 45, you did very well, and can probably triple your money on GunBroker if you want to sell it.
Old 01-07-2014, 8:43 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

My mistake, it was just a poorly struck 3 that looked like a 5.
Old 01-07-2014, 8:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Thanks to all for the helpful advice. Having misplaced trigger pivot pins in the past, I made sure those were there when I reassembled the rifle, so I guess that means the issue is with the sear. If this was 2013, I would just be lazy and sell the rifle off at a loss and go get another one. However now it is a PITA to deal with selling a rifle to someone else when I haven't even sent in the paperwork and fee to register it to myself yet. So I will take it apart again and see how the sear looks. If it isn't easy I will take the advice and get a new trigger assembly. Thanks again everyone for the advice.
i will buy it off you if you cut the receiver to the point that it doesn't qualify as a firearm. i would like to build a pistol bolt action mosin project. let me know...
it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."
looking to buy in great condition yugo sks
Old 01-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob7122 View Post
i will buy it off you if you cut the receiver to the point that it doesn't qualify as a firearm. i would like to build a pistol bolt action mosin project. let me know...
Uh oh...take it easy on him Bobby haha