Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 08-26-2011, 4:40 PM

i picked my gun up today and it looks great can't wait to shoot it
it comes with a lock but turners said it was not cal legal so had to buy one and they tryed to take the one that came with the gun and i said that if you want the lock then pay me for it
i got to keep the lock
Old 08-26-2011, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisarski View Post
it comes with a lock but turners said it was not cal legal so had to buy one and they tryed to take the one that came with the gun and i said that if you want the lock then pay me for it
i got to keep the lock
Too funny. I have a deposit down until they come in. 1 mag or two?

Ya, that's BS about the lock. I got charged by Turners too.
Old 08-26-2011, 5:12 PM

Buy the lock for the legality of taking possession of the firearm and then go return the lock.
Old 08-26-2011, 6:16 PM

it just comes with 1 mag
Old 08-26-2011, 9:00 PM

I picked up mine today too!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisarski View Post
i got to keep the lock
Awesome. Typical Turners. Which store was that? I can pick up mine tomorrow and will watch for that bull. Maybe I can call it a wash, I buy yours, and you buy mine . I hope they have extra mags...

RIP Kelev my sweet Lab (and avatar). The best dog in the known universe. Thank you for 14 wonderful years. I will see you again one day.
Old 08-27-2011, 7:14 AM
Veteran Member

BAY AREA SHOOTERS!

Just a heads up, Davidsons Gallery of Guns has 87 in stock and will ship to a local FFL for free. I have bought several guns through them and they are awesome and very cheap. My local shop will do $420 OTD. I little higher than Turners but we dont have another option right now.
Old 08-27-2011, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
BAY AREA SHOOTERS!

Just a heads up, Davidsons Gallery of Guns has 87 in stock and will ship to a local FFL for free. I have bought several guns through them and they are awesome and very cheap. My local shop will do $420 OTD. I little higher than Turners but we dont have another option right now.
I paid $360 otd @ Turners.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:52 AM

I canceled my order for a GSG 1911 and bought a Browning Buckmark that was on sale.

Even got an extra mag for the price difference.

This is the second GSG I have tried to buy that turned out to be a wait-fest.

GSG

And this gun won't break apart.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM

^I had thought about selling my Buckmark to fund a GSG 1911. After reading about some of the issues and the cast zinc frame, i decided against it. I think your going to be glad you went with the Buckmark.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081 View Post
I paid $360 otd @ Turners.
Thanks but the rest of us up north dont have a Turners on every corner. And I would imagine if you didnt have one there would be few other options. $420 otd is better than nothing at this point......
Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballdad View Post
^I had thought about selling my Buckmark to fund a GSG 1911. After reading about some of the issues and the cast zinc frame, i decided against it. I think your going to be glad you went with the Buckmark.
Probably. If they are anything like Ruger Mark's, then I'll be really happy.
Old 08-27-2011, 4:08 PM

The lock that comes with them are not cali legal. So having to buy another on is normal procedure. The fact they tried to take the lock that came with it is BS however.

On another note, when your buying a 300-500 dollar gun, really whats $6 for a lock? I know we can argue it all day long, its roughly 125 rounds of .22....
Old 08-27-2011, 5:19 PM

i did not care that i had to buy a lock but that they tryed to keep the one that came with the gun
and it was at the F.V. store
Old 08-27-2011, 7:49 PM

I got mine yesterday and went straight to the range. Put about 150 rounds through it of Federal red box, Winchester 333 pack, and Remington bulk packs. Not a single failure to fire or failure to eject. Wow..
Old 08-27-2011, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowxturtle View Post
I got mine yesterday and went straight to the range. Put about 150 rounds through it of Federal red box, Winchester 333 pack, and Remington bulk packs. Not a single failure to fire or failure to eject. Wow..
Good to hear! Deposit down, just waiting for another batch to be shipped I guess. Anyone hear when that will be?
Old 08-29-2011, 6:22 PM

I shot mine on this weekend. Had a few FTF and FTE but nothing serious. Just part of the break in...It was a bad *** little gun and very accurate. Im very impressed and happy with my purchase..
Old 08-30-2011, 7:31 AM

Just picked up my gsg yesterday. Planning to shoot it later today. I cleaned it yesterday, but I noticed that while I was cleaning the slide the black coloring started to wear off (on the inside of the rails). Is this normal?
Old 08-30-2011, 9:24 AM
Veteran Member

I just bought one of these. It was $399. I should have shopped around on price.

It looks awesome. The safety is lame and the trigger pull is a little rough. But it is supposed to be the same weight as a 1911 in .45 ACP. Plus some of the parts are compatible with other 1911's.

I can't wait to get it. Seems like it will be a lot of fun. Plus a lot cheaper to shoot then my .44 mag, .45 acp, and 9mm. And.... maybe, just maybe, I can get the old lady to finally try a pistol. All she shoots now is my 10/22 and is afraid of the Berretta. So hopefully this will be the 'gateway drug' (for lack of a better expression).
Old 08-30-2011, 7:39 PM

Yes I got mine out of jail yesterday. Four day weekend coming up so I am gonna wring it out. Can't wait. Next on the list of 'gotta-have's' is a Buckmark. Thank G@D for the one gun a month, or I would be broke.

So I stripped it, wiped it down and lubed it. It's really a good looking gun, but did they have to do the white job to all the lettering; it reads like a novel. Sigh... Maybe I will do the FDE job to it once I put some rounds through it.

RIP Kelev my sweet Lab (and avatar). The best dog in the known universe. Thank you for 14 wonderful years. I will see you again one day.
Old 08-30-2011, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzvia View Post
Yes I got mine out of jail yesterday. Four day weekend coming up so I am gonna wring it out. Can't wait. Next on the list of 'gotta-have's' is a Buckmark. Thank G@D for the one gun a month, or I would be broke.

So I stripped it, wiped it down and lubed it. It's really a good looking gun, but did they have to do the white job to all the lettering; it reads like a novel. Sigh... Maybe I will do the FDE job to it once I put some rounds through it.
Let us know how it shoots.

This is the most excited I have been about a gun buy in a long time. Don't get me wrong, I like all my guns. But this is the first time the 10-day is really hurting.
Old 08-31-2011, 6:34 AM

Ran 200 rounds of CCI mini mags yesterday, flawless! This is the first .22lr I've shot and my first gun! Shoots pretty well (at 7 yards) and cheap to shoot! I look forward to practicing with it often.

EDIT: A few issues - The finish along the slides has pretty much already come off (after one visit to the range)...is this normal? The magazine it came with allows me to get in 11 rounds, but when you try to rack it with 11 rounds the gun jams and you have to rack it twice. So, it doesn't let you shoot 11. I guess I just have to pay closer attention to the round count...it's just a small issue.

Last edited by puRe59; 08-31-2011 at 6:37 AM..
Old 08-31-2011, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puRe59 View Post

EDIT: A few issues - The finish along the slides has pretty much already come off (after one visit to the range)...is this normal? The magazine it came with allows me to get in 11 rounds, but when you try to rack it with 11 rounds the gun jams and you have to rack it twice. So, it doesn't let you shoot 11. I guess I just have to pay closer attention to the round count...it's just a small issue.
Mine also allows the 11th round, but it does not give me any feeding issue.
Old 08-31-2011, 8:58 AM

I hope I don't have any issues when I get mine.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik_26 View Post
If you can get your hands on them, this is the price at LGSs. I would rather pay $40 - $50 more than have to drive an hour + to/from Turners anyway. I put mine in jail yesterday and will pick it up on the 9th.

The cost of the magazines is a real bummer on this thing though. Trying to find some at a reasonable price is becoming a chore.

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
If you can get your hands on them, this is the price at LGSs. I would rather pay $40 - $50 more than have to drive an hour + to/from Turners anyway. I put mine in jail yesterday and will pick it up on the 9th.

The cost of the magazines is a real bummer on this thing though. Trying to find some at a reasonable price is becoming a chore.
$299 @ Turners is what I paid. 20min drive.Worth it
Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Calguns Addict

$299 is a pretty good deal. Comes out to, $350 or $350 OTD. Not bad at all.

I did pay a bit more than that, little bummed about it, but that is ok. The plus side for me is my LGS is only five mintues from my house and I do not have to spend 45+ minutes (each way) drive to Turners... twice... One to purchase and to pickup.

(Just trying to make myself ok with it.)

Mr. President, I can't take any more winning! Make it stop Mr. President. The winning is YUGGEEEE!

"If you've got a problem with the US, you better make sure it's not a military problem." SSgt Leslie Edwards
Old 08-31-2011, 12:50 PM

I took a look at a GSG 1911 today. I noticed that racking the slide it felt a little gritty. Also, if I gripped the slide I could wiggle it little bit. Is this normal?

BTW, if it makes you feel better they were asking 375 for it up here in Norcal.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by japbeercow View Post
I took a look at a GSG 1911 today. I noticed that racking the slide it felt a little gritty. Also, if I gripped the slide I could wiggle it little bit. Is this normal?

That doesn't help at all, though it is closer to the price I paid.

Old 08-31-2011, 8:36 PM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by japbeercow View Post

As will all 1911s (or all pistols??) the slide movement will become smoother the more rounds go through it. The first time I racked mine it was stiff and was the exact opposite of "smooth", more like jerk, jerk, jerk, then movement, a real non fluid movement if that makes sense. Not sure about the wiggle. Mine has upgrades aimed at keeping it a "tight" fit to maintain some tight accuracy.

and I got mine in norcal, $$+tax+dros for under 4 OTD.

-------
Old 09-01-2011, 7:35 AM

Just curious, where did you get yours. I went to Target Masters yesterday and the guy said he just sold one. I wanted to check it out in person. He didn't remember the selling price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik_26 View Post

It looks awesome. The safety is lame and the trigger pull is a little rough. But it is supposed to be the same weight as a 1911 in .45 ACP. Plus some of the parts are compatible with other 1911's.

I can't wait to get it. Seems like it will be a lot of fun. Plus a lot cheaper to shoot then my .44 mag, .45 acp, and 9mm. And.... maybe, just maybe, I can get the old lady to finally try a pistol. All she shoots now is my 10/22 and is afraid of the Berretta. So hopefully this will be the 'gateway drug' (for lack of a better expression).
Old 09-01-2011, 1:27 PM

Just picked mine up from Turners. It was a quick and no hassle transaction. In and out in less than 20 minutes at lunch. Can't wait to take this to the range tonight!
Old 09-01-2011, 4:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrod View Post
Just curious, where did you get yours. I went to Target Masters yesterday and the guy said he just sold one. I wanted to check it out in person. He didn't remember the selling price.
The Gun Exchange in San Jose. I bought the last one in the display case.
Old 09-02-2011, 1:45 PM

City Arms in Pleasant Hill had one today for $399. I would've got it if it was closer to $350. I'll wait until the prices drop around here.
Old 09-02-2011, 2:11 PM

Default Learning to Shoot

I took my wife to the range for the first time and we rented a Glock. I quickly decided she would never learn to shoot with a gun she's afraid of. So, I bought a Ruger 22/45. After she has some experience we'll step up to a larger caliber gun.
Old 09-04-2011, 7:10 AM

Default Woot that was fun.

Well, a mini review and observations after my first range trip.

puRe59- yea the slide rails on the frame are silvery after 350 rounds the first time out. I can also jam 11 rounds in but it does not feed the second round so I stopped jamming that last round in.

japbeercow- The slide on mine felt not so much a rough 'gritty' but but more a 1000 grit with oil feeling. That has past now that I have shot it and it is smoother.

Well, I shot it first at 7 yards to see how it prints. It came with the high front sight blade and shot about 2.5" low. I put the medium on using the supplied tiny hex wrench and it printed about 2" high with a 12 o'clock hold. With a 6 o'clock hold, it was 1/2 inch high. I shot some standard velocity CCI and Wolf target and they did not cycle. So I switched to a brick of Winchester Wildcat. (I also shot some Winchester 'High-Velocity' silver box but it would not eject). After a couple of FTEs it ran the next 200 rounds with no issues and printed sometimes slightly better, sometimes a little worse than the photo below. It tended to throw the first round high or low as well. Not bad really. I then ran 50 rounds of CCI Blazer flawlessly though it, but the groups were slightly larger than the Wildcat.
I then took it over to the steel targets for another 100 rounds of fun. The little tink sounds were very satisfying at the longer distances, 30+ yards (and yes I wear electronic muffs).

At about the half way point I did drop a few drops of oil on the rails through the ejection port.

Break-down for cleaning was a simple affair and while it was dirty, it wiped down quickly and the barrel came clean after a few patches. I used a little CLP and high-temp wheel bearing grease on the slide, as I had before shooting it. The slide rails are silvery now and it racks smoothly.

One negative- the magazine. While the gun handling mimics the ergonomics of the 1911, the magazine nubs that compress the spring are the worst of the 4 .22 handguns I own. You can see them below; a pain in the arce.

Last edited by Tzvia; 09-04-2011 at 9:30 AM..
Old 09-04-2011, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

Tzvia- Thanks for the mini review.

I can't wait to get mine, 4 more days.
Old 09-04-2011, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I get mine next Friday and I can not wait!

Sounds like a good shooter Tzvia and the target shows as much. What were the best shooting rounds of your trials?

Old 09-09-2011, 5:43 PM
Veteran Member

Got mine today.

First impressions.....

Well, I too can stuff an 11th round in the magazine it came with. I don't know what to do about this? The magazine came with the gun from the factory and was sold to me in California.

The gun feels great in my hands. It cycles flawlessly.

Now the not so good. Mine shoots high and to the right. It groups good... but still high and to the right. I have never had to adjust sights before on a pistol. So I am not sure if I should take it to someone or not? I had two other people shoot my gun and both shot the same as me, high and to the right.

I guess one thing I should take into consideration first is the trigger. It is a very heavy pull. It feels gritty too. So I guess I will need to give it a thorough bath first and see if I get on target.

I will also have to check on some website on how to improve the trigger.

Over all, I still love the gun. Fun to shoot.
Old 09-09-2011, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHoTex View Post
I get mine next Friday and I can not wait!

Sounds like a good shooter Tzvia and the target shows as much. What were the best shooting rounds of your trials?
None of the standard velocity would cycle correctly- Wolf target, CCI standard and subsonic, Aguila target.

Of the 3 'high velocity' I shot, Winchester XPERT did not cycle one out of every 2 or 3. Winchester Wildcat shot the best consistently, with CCI Blazer almost as tight. Being that Blazer shoots well in my other .22s, I guess I will stick with it. I was out of Federal Bulk, but as my Sig does not feed the stuff, I don't feel like buying it.

(In case anyone was wondering what kind of group is covered by the gun in my photo, it's a group with my Sig Mosquito.)