Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-01-2013, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlor View Post
Wow, a lot of information. Good to know, my appointment is in October.
Usually once every 3 months SSD office will send out emails to 1,000 prospects the first 350 to respond get the slots, and yes it works but honestly the slots last for about 30mins it's a race ! I kept my email on my phone and when it came in I used my bookmarked links to the site to get mine and my wife's appt a week apart. Just have patience and keep trying!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 10-18-2013, 7:32 AM

wow...this waiting/camping out on the website and getting on email lists is a crazy process. Wondering if going to the SSD office in person would be successful.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikmouth View Post
wow...this waiting/camping out on the website and getting on email lists is a crazy process. Wondering if going to the SSD office in person would be successful.
They simply direct you to the online appointment system. Lots of people have tried. If they didn't do it that way everyone would be at their door Keep the camp out going. Remember the more you check the better the chances. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2013, 4:02 PM
Veteran Member

So thankful I got mine three years ago when the process was a bit more streamlined. But its nice to see there are that many people applying for permits.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:45 PM

Aaarrgh. Apparently I missed the boat on getting some appointments. Again. Will be checking daily hoping for cancellations and such. Carpal tunnel here I come....shoot, may not be able to pull the trigger after all the clicking I've been doing.
Old 10-22-2013, 5:43 PM

I was told by amber they will open up a lot more in mid November

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2013, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirlee View Post

So was today or tomorrow the big day?
Old 10-25-2013, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirlee View Post

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-07-2013, 8:50 AM

Unhappy No appt for issuance.. Help

I apologize in advance if this is not the proper area for this. I am in Sac Co. And have received my notification that my background has cleared and to schedule an appt. with verification that I have completed all training and so on. They put a 60 day limit to schedule the appt but there are no appts. My question is since I have already invested the funds but there are no appts. Do I eat the money and start over (again with no guarantee of an appt)? Seems a bit shady.... Any and all help would be much appreciated.
Old 11-07-2013, 9:39 AM

Just contact amber via email (on the apt page). Let her know the situation. She will let you know what to do. They are well aware of the delays right now and handle these sort of things because of it.
Keep checking the website. Apts pop up frequently you just have to be lucky enough to snag it. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 11-07-2013, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunTraders Wife View Post
Just contact amber via email (on the apt page). Let her know the situation. She will let you know what to do. They are well aware of the delays right now and handle these sort of things because of it.
Keep checking the website. Apts pop up frequently you just have to be lucky enough to snag it. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Yes she said basically the same thing. I am just concerned because my expiration date is 12-30. I don't imagine they will have a lot of appointments around that time. My main concern is this; can they simply keep the money I have invested even though they have no appointments. Seems like highway robbery in my opinion.
Old 11-07-2013, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaof3 View Post
Yes she said basically the same thing. I am just concerned because my expiration date is 12-30. I don't imagine they will have a lot of appointments around that time. My main concern is this; can they simply keep the money I have invested even though they have no appointments. Seems like highway robbery in my opinion.
Did you ask her about that? That's what you need to ask her. I know others that got an allowance because of this but she has to give you one.
Old 11-07-2013, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunTraders Wife View Post
Did you ask her about that? That's what you need to ask her. I know others that got an allowance because of this but she has to give you one.
When she replied she did not even acknowledge that part of my email....
Old 11-07-2013, 2:45 PM

Quote:
When she replied she did not even acknowledge that part of my email....
My recommendation is to nicely email her back asking about the $ end and what to do. She's extremely busy and may have just forgot to answer that part. They are really good about that sort of thing usually because they know the situations all are facing right now.
Keep/print out her responses and keep them with your CCW stuff so you have them if there's a problem with the dates etc when you do get to your apt.
Deep breaths and patience wins this game
Good luck!!! It's worth it in the end!
Old 11-08-2013, 6:38 AM

Talking A few new applicant appointments just opened

FYI... For Sac Co. New applicant appts. Are open for the moment.
Old 11-08-2013, 8:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
FYI... For Sac Co. New applicant appts. Are open for the moment.
Nope.
Old 11-08-2013, 8:06 AM

Default Appointment Calendar

Hi Everyone. Thank you for all of the great information. I signed up here quite some time ago, but don't believe I've ever posted anything.

This question has probably been asked. When I go to the sac ccwappointments page, what I normally see is the bold red paragraph, stating that no new appointments are available.

When there are some appointments available, what do I see? A calendar? I don't have to re enter my CDL to check it, right?

Thanks! G
Old 11-09-2013, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genodrummer View Post
...When I go to the sac ccwappointments page, what I normally see is the bold red paragraph, stating that no new appointments are available.

When there are some appointments available, what do I see? A calendar? I don't have to re enter my CDL to check it, right?
You have to validate yourself each time you go into the web site - it is a way for them to make sure real people are making the appointments. You should see the date in green if at least one appointment is open that date.
Old 11-09-2013, 8:16 AM

Thank you, Mark. That is a big help. I will continue to check in that way. They don't make it easy, do they? Geno
Old 11-15-2013, 9:37 AM

Cool Hurry!!!!!!

There are appointments for the 20th and 27th for CCW final issuance!!!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendetAR View Post
So was today or tomorrow the big day?
ah it was the 23, been carrying since that day. feels weird to go anywhere without it.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:44 AM

Talking ***** CCW APPTS AVAILABLE NOW!!!!! *****

I just booked my appt for Nov. 20 and there are TONS of slots that just opened up!!! Go get 'em!!!

~John
Old 11-15-2013, 6:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Slots still available!

Quote:
I just booked my appt for Nov. 20 and there are TONS of slots that just opened up!!! Go get 'em!!!

~John
Just got mine for the 20th! Hurry up before they're all gone!
Old 11-18-2013, 2:24 PM

Ohhh, SNAP!!! Missed whatever opened up.

Hope a big lot opens up the latter part of December......by then the DOJ will of been submitted for over two months and I should have the final e-mail to go and book the final appt. Training's all done.....one last hurdle!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 8:02 AM

MORE appt openings opened up this morning!!
Old 11-20-2013, 2:00 PM

Quote:
MORE appt openings opened up this morning!!
What dates were there?

I've been checking all day every day and still seem to miss them!!!

Are you starting with with D/L page or just refreshing the calendar page???
Old 11-20-2013, 5:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan2 View Post
What dates were there?

I've been checking all day every day and still seem to miss them!!!

Are you starting with with D/L page or just refreshing the calendar page???
He got excited about one or two openings that disappeared within minutes. I know because I checked exactly 17 mins after he posted and there were no appointments.

He had a premature (giggity) outburst.
Old 11-22-2013, 1:31 PM

CCW final/issuance appointments are open. Lots of them available!
Old 11-22-2013, 2:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

SSD website says there are many appointments for NEW applicants, but only those that have been on the waiting list for at least 7 days.
Old 11-22-2013, 2:50 PM
Calguns Addict

There are 4 days worth of final issuance appts available. It says there isn't on the main page but if you plug in your DL # they pop up.
Old 11-26-2013, 7:33 AM

Yup I was on the ol Xbox a couple nights ago, and figured I should check to see if there were any appointments. Sure enough they had 2 days worth of appointments and I picked one on the 5th of Dec. Keep trying guys!
Old 11-27-2013, 4:26 PM

I applied for the CCW this morning,let see what happens.Nothing on my background and they told me in two weeks I should have answer.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:41 AM

Anyone else seen this before? Stumbled across it on another forum, thought it was interesting.

~ SOURCE

Quote:
Sacramento County letter and response.
01-01-2009, 02:16 PM
THE LETTER

Sheriff,

I was listening to you on the A&G show for the last two days and I was hoping you could help me with something. (Great show by the way)

You had two different callers call with questions about CCWs. You responded that you support the 2nd Amendment and that your department issues CCWs. I am trying to reconcile these statements with the reputation and practice of the Sac Sheriffs department.

Your department does not issue CCWs, in fact I don’t think you have issued a new CCW since you became Sheriff- maybe a few to government employees and agents but none to regular citizens. The firearms training instructors listed on your website have stopped offering training because of the practices of your department. The reputation of the Sac Sheriff is that the department is “NO ISSUE” on par with San Francisco. The number of permits issued in Sac County is about 500 and declining. This is an issuance rate of 0.03%. If the county was at the national issue rate of 2% for “Shall issue” states (and some counties in CA) the number of permits would be closer to 27,500, quite a difference if you ask me. Is this your intent or are the people you have delegated to this task being more strict than you intend? As far as people applying, most people don’t even bother because they know they will be denied. Because of this, if you are trying to use the number of requests you currently receive as a barometer for the pent up demand for CCWs you do not have a valid baseline.

I have heard comments made that limited CCW issuance is a public safety issue, but this has been disproven by 20+ years of history in “Shall Issue” states. I am licensed in 30 states to carry a concealed weapon, it is only in the state that I live where it is almost impossible to get a permit. What is scary is that the crime rate in CA is higher than most other states. By your own admission, a LEO can not be there to protect me and in fact GC 845 exempts LEO and governments from protecting me. GC 820-821 exempts governments and CLEO from liability when issuing permits, so I struggle with why the Sac County Sherriff’s department refuses to allow people the means to protect themselves. I am not talking about in the home, that is not a problem, I am talking about when I have to go out in public and interact with meth-heads, Mexican narco gangs, South Sac Gang bangers, general thugs etc.

This situation has gotten to the point that people are fleeing Sacramento county and the state of California by the 1000’s because of the regressive nature of the self-defense laws in this state. Do you ever wonder why the population of El Dorado and Placer counties are growing while the Bay area counties are shrinking? I myself am looking to move and take my taxes to a county that is more trusting of it’s citizens and at least affords me a reasonable chance at self-defense.

Sheriff, I am looking for a reason here and I can’t come up with a good one. The only reasons I can come up with that the Sac County Sheriff does not issue more CCWs are distrust of citizens, power issues, control issues, etc. It has nothing to do with Public Safety or personal responsibility. I would hope that as the economic crisis accelerates and crime skyrockets you have a change of heart and let people obtain the means to defend themselves.

Do I expect it? No – but one can only hope.

THE RESPONSE

The reply from the Sherriff’s office

I was asked to respond to you regarding your inquiries relative to the Sheriff’s issuance of CCW permits. First, your assertion that Sheriff McGinness does not issue permits is erroneous; he has issued several dozen permits since he has taken office. Although he has final authority over whether to grant or deny an applicant, he has empanelled a CCW committee that reviews each application. He has provided guidelines to that committee on criteria to consider in granting or denying an application. Factors to consider in granting the application are if the applicant is a business owner/agent who transports large sums of money or valuable commodities; individuals who are engaged in fugitive recovery, executive protection, and the like; individuals who have demonstrated a need or articulated threat; and former law enforcement officers or other persons who have received substantial training in weapons handling. Conversely, there are a number of criteria that are weighed AGAINST granting a permit, such as certain prior arrests or convictions, evidence of substance abuse, etc.

It is easy to look from the outside and determine for yourself what the Sheriff should or should not do with regard to CCW permits. However, that responsibility is vested squarely with the Sheriff and as with any significant responsibility, it must be tempered by a concomitant responsibility and restraint. It would be a simple matter to simply grant each CCW application, but the community would not be best served by such a practice. Further, any internal practice must withstand scrutiny from the public, the media, and the courts (the Department has been sued twice regarding CCW issuance since the Sheriff took office).

Finally, as for your assertion that the number of applicants cannot be used as a barometer for the effectiveness of the CCW process, I’m not sure what other measure to use. It is purely speculative to opine what might be the outcome of potential applicants, and I would encourage anyone who feels they have a need to apply—including you, since I was unable to determine that you ever applied for a CCW permit with this Department under that name.

While I recognize that this may not satisfy your concerns relative to the issuance of CCWs in Sacramento County, I hope it at least gives you some insight into the process.

Captain Scott Jones

Assistant to the Sheriff
Old 12-25-2013, 1:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB 916 View Post
Anyone else seen this before? Stumbled across it on another forum, thought it was interesting.

~ SOURCE
That article is over 4 years old.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 12-25-2013, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
That article is over 4 years old.
Thanks for the insightful post, solid contribution to the thread. Your math skills are amazing. Also, wasn't an article, it was a letter.

I found it the letter interesting because the SSD seemed to be of the opinion that they were very active in issuing CCW's to folks in the county and even seemed boastful that Sheriff McGinness had in fact issued "several dozen permits" since he'd taken office (almost 3 years). I also found it interesting that Scott Jones was the author of the response and how drastically the county's CCW issuance rate have changed since he's taken office.
Old 12-25-2013, 8:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The drastic change in policy took place while McGinness was in office maybe around the spring of 2010. I obtained my CCW (completed) in November 2010. A lawsuit brought about with the support of CGF was instrumental in this change.
Old 12-31-2013, 7:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
The drastic change in policy took place while McGinness was in office maybe around the spring of 2010. I obtained my CCW (completed) in November 2010. A lawsuit brought about with the support of CGF was instrumental in this change.
^^^This^^^

Jones' job at the time was to explain McGuiness' policy.

Policy changed in 2010 after the lawsuit. http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/201...ense-policies/

Jones then ran for Sheriff, with opening CCWs as a campaign pledge.

Sometimes, progress is made.

Cheers.

JR
Old 01-03-2014, 7:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Just got my livescan approval today. Did my livescan on 11/15.
Old 01-06-2014, 8:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Here is a little more background on what was going on in 2010:
http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/201...fornia-part-1/

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 01-06-2014, 9:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Here is a little more background on what was going on in 2010:
http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/201...fornia-part-1/

-Gene
If the Sheriff changes his mind or a new Sheriff comes and doesn't want to issue and "may issue" isn't resolved, Sac is nothing if renewals are no longer granted. Handshakes are not a great help when stipulating out of court. It's nothing more than a soft agreement.