Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:47 AM

Default Anybody here a State Park Peace Officer (Ranger)?

Hey CGers,

The State was taking applications for State Park Peace Officer (Ranger) and (Lifeguard) postions earlier this month.

I got notice that my application was accepted and I have been admitted to the exam, which is a step forward but theres alot more that I need to do. (Still excited though!)

Anyhow, I just wanted to know if anyone on CG is a Ranger and if so, I just wanted to see if you have any advice for prosepctive cadets, some "insider info" on the job, or even your perspective on your job.

Ive read pretty much everything I can find on the internet from both government and personal webpages/blogs, etc. and have talked to a few rangers but I was just curious if anyone else out there has anything to add?

Thanks in advance!

P.s. Anyone else apply for the job and if so, have ya heard anything?!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Banned

No, I am not one (not a LEO at all). But several close friends of mine are.

No, I will not give you their phone number. Please don't take that as a personal criticism, but I don't know who you are, what you are like, and I don't want to risk my friendship. In particular, I'm not in the habit of giving out phone numbers of people whose driver's license says "confidential". Again, I apologize for not being more helpful, but there are priorities.

But: If you want to contact them or their colleagues, and chat, here are two suggestions. First, call up parks headquarters in Sacramento, either the regular parks division or the OHV division, and ask to speak to the Supervising Ranger in charge of SPPO training. Second, find a large park with multiple rangers (if you are near one, the OHV parks tend to be particularly good candidates, since they are usually park districts of their own, and have a full ranger staff hierarchy from district superintendent on down). Go visit with the ranger station (preferable during slow times, like weekdays during the daytime), and chat with them there. You may be able to find young rangers just out of the academy, and senior rangers who are in charge of training. That will give you a good range of viewpoints.

In my experience, SPPOs are incredibly friendly and helpful people, and I would expect them to be welcoming to you in sharing their experience.

Last edited by chainsaw; 08-27-2013 at 12:28 PM..
Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate that. I plan on doing exactly what you suggested and I am also hoping to set up a ride along, eventually.

I appreciate any and all info!