Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-08-2014, 5:29 PM
CGSSA Associate

Default Insight on being a female officer

Hi All,
First and foremost thank you for your time and dedication. Next I am contemplating a career change into law enforcement. I am asking for any LEOs insight, opinions, and thoughts on becoming and being a female officer.

thanks
Old 02-08-2014, 11:45 PM

Hmm...I'm not exactly sure what insight you're looking for... You might be a bit more specific with your questions and I'm sure you'll get some candid answers.

Just for the sake of saying it...We just finished the firearms portion of an academy and females took the #1 and #2 spots in my relay...They beat out two Army vets and an Air Force vet.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:36 AM
Calguns Addict

I worked with a lot of female deputies over the years. Just like males, some are better than others.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 02-09-2014, 1:33 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Despite what has been said, the reality is if you do go into it, be advised there are some male leos who don't believe females should be in le. They are the minority I honestly believe and don't let it discourage you. Just be aware they are there and you will hear some of the garbage they will spout.

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2014, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

Why? Did an aptitude test showed that you should be a police woman?

Because this is really more than a job. It depends on if you are thinking to be a officer, deputy or CHP. Which can be extreme or some federal 'police' jobs which are really glorified security guards.

Have you worked a job with all men before? You will have to be strong everyday because all your male partners will want a fling.
Old 02-09-2014, 4:59 PM

It has been my experience female officers tend to get preferential treatment on hiring, details and promotions.

If it's what you want to do, give it a go. Chances are you'll get the job. Training and the FTO car will determine if it's right for you.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 PM

Standard questions that get asked to everyone else. How old are you, what have you done before, what complications do you have in your life and how clean is your past?

Doesn't have to be spotless but you gotta be able to see out the windshield so to speak.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 PM

Not trying to be mean...but if you had to ask this question the job is not for you.

Cheers
Old 02-10-2014, 3:00 PM
CGSSA Associate

Thanks everyone for your insight. I was just looking hoping for a Female LEOs perspective on the role. I have a good idea on what to expect and anticipate but its always good to get inside intel if possible.
Old 02-10-2014, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

Expect to be challenged alot more from both the public and members of your agency. I hate to be the debbie downer, but just like some men are not cut out to be LEO's neither are some women (whether it's you or not I have no idea). While I have been in fights with male officers that didn't really help out much (either because they were morons/didn't know how to fight/whatever), the only time I have been in fights with a partner who literally could not physically help me due to their lack of strength were with female LEO's. I don't believe a 5'0 90lb female (or male, for that matter) should be allowed to be a LEO. I have been in fights with two of them and they were useless.
Old 02-10-2014, 8:04 PM

Get that command presence up. Some female cops are great and some are useless trash; same goes for the men but I feel its more prevalent with the women. You might be able to investigate the best crimes, sniff out the nastiest criminals and solve the best cases but can you go toe to toe with some tatted up methed out parolee? It doesn't happen every day or every week or every month but one day it will happen and you will be there. If you can honestly say that you can then give the job a shot. If you cant then you might want to look else ware. Watch Lockup or any of those prison shows; those jacked up no neck guys aren't at every call but they are around and someone has to put them in jail.

Last edited by Petro6golf; 02-10-2014 at 8:07 PM..
Old 02-11-2014, 10:03 AM

Well I know some of the people here are guys and unless you all have grown a va jay jay, I think we should hold off on our advice. I think she's waiting for a female CG'er to probably PM her.
Old 02-11-2014, 6:07 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
Expect to be challenged alot more from both the public and members of your agency. I hate to be the debbie downer, but just like some men are not cut out to be LEO's neither are some women (whether it's you or not I have no idea). While I have been in fights with male officers that didn't really help out much (either because they were morons/didn't know how to fight/whatever), the only time I have been in fights with a partner who literally could not physically help me due to their lack of strength were with female LEO's. I don't believe a 5'0 90lb female (or male, for that matter) should be allowed to be a LEO. I have been in fights with two of them and they were useless.
My advise to you brother is, stop fighting with your partners.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:08 PM

To the OP: I don't know what your background is but you should really consider setting up a ride-a-long with a female officer/deputy at the department you are applying for. You can ask your questions and also see if this job is right for you before you make a career change.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:23 PM
Calguns Addict

While I am sure that the OP would prefer insight from a female officer, I don't know that there are any on CGN. Second hand information might be as good as it gets here.
Old 02-12-2014, 9:09 AM

Look at the agencies you are planning on hiring and see if you can talk to a female recruiter or go to one of the womens law enforcement hiring fairs. Riverside County Sheriff is holding one soon. Just beware that recruiters are just that and will sell you on the job without the negatives.

My partner for the past 7 years has been a female who I would not trade for any male officer I have worked with. She is by far one of the best cops I have ever met (Male or female). I have seen what she has had to deal with and may be able to provide some insight.

It is a male dominated field with a bunch of type A personalities. There will be gross derogatory jokes and discussions on a regular basis.

Hanging out with other male officers off duty will tend to start the rumors of sleeping around.

Female officers tend to get promoted and placed on special teams faster thats just a fact. It will always catch hell from the patrol level guys and you will have to deal with people talking trash behind your back constantly about this fact. Best thing you can do is work your butt off for what you get and be a good beat partner which your true friends and beat partners will recognize and respect.

Focus on being a great cop who happens to be a woman, not a woman who happens to be a cop. Putting your gender and personal biases ahead of the job will surely piss off your co-workers.

Don't be the female cop who runs straight to admin every time one of your partners says some off color remark because you get offended easily. It will blackball you as not a team player. Get used to the fact that working in a field like this you need to have very thick skin. If you don't, than this is not the job for you.

Hope this helps
Old 02-12-2014, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_in_ca View Post
Get used to the fact that working in a field like this you need to have very thick skin. If you don't, than this is not the job for you.

Hope this helps
I think this is one of the major things that people have issues with. Even when I was in the Navy working in a 'mixed' area was a problem. There is a line between having fun, jokes, and harassment. If someone crosses the line, just being able to say they have to their face generally solves the problem! Running to admin just makes people not appreciate you - and you will be talked about. You will be the "guy" or "girl" that no one trusts. Dirty jokes are a plenty. They are generally funny, generate a laugh, and help relieve some the stress that the different jobs bring.

The female CO's I work with are awesome!