Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 02-05-2014, 5:46 PM

Default Areas in Chino

Hello,
I am planing to move from my home in moreno valley, and had some questions about the areas in Chino. As mean as it sounds, I do not want to move from one ghetto to another. My wife wants to move closer to her family which lives in chino hills, but homes in that area in my price range are limited. I would move to Los Serranos, but she wants no part of it. Any ways, I just wanted some input on what areas to avoid in Chino. I do remember that some of the neighborhoods near the Police station are not that great (5th, 12th, etc). I may be mistaken, but I would like your professional opinions. I would also appreciate the input from anyone that also lives in the area. I will go look at homes this weekend, so I would like to have a better idea, than what I have now. Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 7:13 PM

The police station has since moved from central/chino ave to central/walnut where the old home depot used to be. I would avoid the area near the old police station as well as the area near chino high school. Los serranos is still ghetto. Any other areas are good to go. Good luck!
Old 02-05-2014, 7:22 PM

Thanks Leman, I lived in Los Serranos up until 2002 when I left for the Army. I just remember that area being bad. A lot has change in the ten years since I lived there. I am going to look at houses closer to Don Lugo, a little ways from the Target. There is another house off of Norton and Francis I was also going to look at.
Old 02-05-2014, 7:42 PM

Stay away from the numbered streets in the downtown area. That's basically the older barrio area in the city, like Los Serranos is to Chino Hills. Just about everything else in the city are very nice areas.
The west side of town has more shopping, restaurants, theaters, etc.
The south/east area (The Preserve) has newer homes and is more country. The Prado Park complex there has large park & fishing lake, shotgun and pistol ranges, archery range, hunting dog training fields, and 2 golf courses. There's also a Chaffey College satellite campus there.
Chino and Chino Hills share the same school district, which is usually rated #1 or 2 academically in the county.
Old 02-05-2014, 8:40 PM

Schools districts are another for choosing that area. The schools around here are pretty bad. The dead give away is the free breakfast signs in front of all the elementary schools.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've been gone from the area since 1990, so I can't recommend anything, but I lived in Chino Hills when it was county (1979-1990) and Los Serranos was a bad area back then. I can only imagine what it is today.
Old 02-06-2014, 4:07 AM

I came from eastside Moreno Valley, so i know where your coming from. been in chino hills for 12 years. There are nice parts in Chino, the preserve, college park. Avoid downtown and # streets like stated above. I would just move to CH except Los Serranos and be done with it. If you have kids Schools in Chino are iffy, CH are all in tops of state every year. CH is full of LEO and Fire fighters also, CH is gonna cost an extra 100k more for a house though
Old 02-06-2014, 6:00 AM

There are some nice pockets on either side of the 60 freeway between Pipeline and Benson, such as the area around Newman Elementary school (where the student was able to discharge that rifle on the Chino PD motorcycle).
Old 02-06-2014, 6:19 AM

I lived in chino my entire life # streets I would avoid if you can, I have friends who live in that area and while I have never heard of anything happening to them personally there is some slight gang activity ( honestly its minimal compared to allot of other places).

Besides that your pretty much good anywhere else in chino .I also live off of pipeline and philidelphia, a few blocks down is Pomona and that gets ghetto and we have never ad any issues with crime or safety. As far as people saying the school systems in Chino are bad i'm pretty sure Chino was like 1 of the top 100 places to raise a family for quite a while so in my opinion schools aren't that bad (I went to Don lugo for high school and Briggs for middle school).

Only thing I don't like about Chino anymore is its getting expensive and its getting a bit crowded with the shoppes in chino hills being open.

Im considering a move to Jurupa valley to get a good piece of property and Low traffic now the schools around there suck let me tell you lol
Old 02-06-2014, 6:20 AM

What's your budget?

Have you looked into Eastvale?
Old 02-06-2014, 6:53 AM

Currently I want to spend no more that 375,000. The thing is though, that is only factoring putting 15k down. I am going to sell my house and I believe it is only worth 200K, I am really not sure. My realtor friend is convenience I can get 250K. Of that is the case I can obviously afford even more. He is coming over on friday to take pictures and list it. The my back up plan to free up money is to sell a big portion of my S&W collection. I have a lot of rare and desirable smiths, along with a lot of unfired ones.

SO I want to figure out what the house is worth before I plan on raising my budget. I just dont want to over extend myself to make a mortgage payment. I just got married last year, so kids are the next step, an I would rather live in a a better neighborhood. So if it comes down to it, I will have to sacrifice my revolvers and some of my third gens.

Last edited by retired; 02-06-2014 at 11:50 AM..
Old 02-06-2014, 6:26 PM

Chino Hills is gonna be 450k and up for the most part. Eastvale is an option also,but be careful of mello Roos tax. My friend says its really high in some neighborhoods
Old 02-09-2014, 8:07 PM

Hey boltmopar, stay away from Oaks from Riverside Dr. down to Chino Ave. and everything West to Central. West of Central has some older homes, but seems to be quiet. Good luck to you in finding your new home. PM me when you get settled.

USS Bristol County LST 1198
Attack Squadron Seven...Mission-Assault
Gator Navy
VFW
American Legion
NRA

Cat herding by appt. only.- The crazy cat man.
Old 02-13-2014, 4:28 PM

My mother in law lives off Norton and Chino. I think it's a nice area. She's LE also and has never had any issues around there. Her son goes to Don Lugo and I've never heard anything bad about it from him when we talk.