Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 01-26-2019, 2:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Sign up for a new cheaper Cell Plan en Mexico?

If I am to be working in Mexico occasionally, would it be logical to get a cheaper plan there? Including data, text, and unlimited in the US, of course...

I assume the price would be substantially less, considering minimum wage there is $180MX Pesos/day (about $9.73US/day, or $1.21US/hour).

Anyone do this?

Can one keep a US number and port it?

Just some thoughts, as a Sam's Club membership is about $27/year there and works internationally, as I understand.
Old 01-28-2019, 3:02 PM

Doesn't your T mobile plan cover Mexico? Mine does.
Old 01-28-2019, 4:13 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Google Fi uses tmobile and auto configures for some countries when traveling. Unlimited talk/text and international text, data is $10/gb prorated, will auto connect to some wifi.

It's been pretty good for me, if you're not a heavy cell data user it's cheap.
Old 01-28-2019, 4:40 PM

I pay 160 for 4 lines of T-Mobile that includes unlimited data and messenging but charges .20 a minute per phone call but I have my GF or family download WhatsApp and use the data to call them using WhatsApp for free. Can’t beat $40 a month with international included and T-Mobile promotions are good too.
Old 01-28-2019, 5:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Do you have a Unlocked phone? Get a telcel chip. If not I travel to Mexico and Canada for work and I have found metro works well for both of places of travel.
Old 01-28-2019, 9:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
Doesn't your T mobile plan cover Mexico? Mine does.
You are paying more +upgraded tethering for data, right?
I'm not:
"Texting & data (at up to 128 kbps) abroad in 140+ countries & destinations"

International is roaming with my grandfathered Simple Choice plan as I understand it.
(4GB per line (throttled after 4GB), with 4 lines $100/month.)

They offer a bump for Canada and MEX compat. partners @ $10 per line/month (only mine going out of the US, so I bumpped it up $10 for my line).

I'll be in Mexico for 4-7 day spurts, at a time from here on out when I go, and I got to have my (hotel pr0n, and other) data, along with calls and texting.

I bumped up to the the North America Feature - Add-On up the $10 as I do not want any overages, as it might be a lot?

I was pulling perfect 4g data when down there with the add-on.

Craft beers like WONDERFUL Stouts, porters,and Reds for $4-US a 16oz pint, and Indio/Tecate/XX bottles were like $1.25-$1.50 US/bottle at a bar.

I think, since my drinking buddy from corp. (same title and position) is probably going next time, that I will try to convince him to go a Gentlemen's Club to get hot chiqas to bring us beers, even for a bit of a markup.
We got a little messed up, drinking our last trip, and enjoyed ourselves a bit in our off hours the last day, once I fell out of the on-call rotation, and the hotel was w/in walking distance with no roads to cross.

It looks like the Simple Choice had a Simple Choice North America for the same price, but I hadn't planned on going when switching was an option...

Last edited by the86d; 01-28-2019 at 9:59 PM..
Old 01-29-2019, 2:03 PM

No, I don't have any upgrades. My plan is 4 lines for $120 a month unlimited. It includes Canada, Mexico and a hundred or so other places I will never go to.
Old 01-30-2019, 4:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No, I don't have any upgrades. My plan is 4 lines for $120 a month unlimited. It includes Canada, Mexico and a hundred or so other places I will never go to.
Sorry, that was Robotron2k84 with the upgraded tethering on the ONE plan.

What plan are you on?

Last edited by the86d; 01-30-2019 at 4:32 AM..
Old 01-31-2019, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Sorry, that was Robotron2k84 with the upgraded tethering on the ONE plan.

What plan are you on?
I think it is the ONE plan but not with any upgrades.
Old 02-01-2019, 4:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I think it is the ONE plan but not with any upgrades.
Yup, it looks like the ONE plan includes Canada and Mex.
"Unlimited in Mexico & Canada."
But for $60 more a month... that is +60% for 4 lines with current rates.

It looks like one can get a Vet. discount making the total for 4 lines $100, like I am paying now, but tethering would be limited to .5MBps (512K), so I'd have to upgrade tethering on my phone at least for +$15 for work and personal use, AND the other 3 phones might suffer the same fate (+15+15+15) making the total $160 with upgraded tethering.

I am not sure if the family could deal with 512k tethering, but I just uploaded T-Mobile my DD-214, and Vet. status is verified with them, so if I jump on this, everything is already in place...

Digging deeper, all the ONE plans I looked right now for the switch, do NOT include CAN and MEX usage when hitting a ONE plan, and it does not show the .mil/Vet. discount when choosing from the site. I may have to call.

I DO like having my son and daughter with their own CAP, as I never hit mine...

In a few months I will not be getting child support any longer, so I am unsure if I want to make changes to a more expensive plan(, even if income drops only -$350/month).

Last edited by the86d; 02-01-2019 at 4:33 AM..
Old 02-01-2019, 10:51 AM

My son has the vet plan. It is working out good for his family. It includes Canada and Mexico. He just moved back to Alaska and didn't have a problem while driving through enemy territory. He was a sniper so the feds have him on a watch list. The canadian border agents detained him and his family while they emptied his moving trailer. Then let them proceed. Makes me think ill of my government for treating one of their combat veterans so poorly.

My plan was a special deal a couple of years ago when I finally kicked ATT to the curb. It covers a lot of other countries. The 512k tethering sucks but I'm not going to pay them the extra for something I rarely use.
Old 02-03-2019, 3:48 PM

When I had T-Mobile, they charged me $15 bucks extra a month on my bill so I could have unlimited talk, text, data in France. Well worth it.

Verizon, all I have to do is tell them when I will be out of the country and they will cover it. Except for certain countries like Denmark weirdly.

Get your power armor as fast as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
im hoping for a milsurp shoulder thingy that goes up
Old 03-08-2019, 4:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Well, I jumped on the T-Mo. ONE plan w/a Vet. discount...
(MOAR "unlimited'er" with about a 50GB cap. before slowing down.)
It looks like I am going to Mex. for 2 more weeks soon, and I just got back and the data was great, as I switched before my last trip.

Lady and kids will suffer tethering speeds at .5-.6Mbps, but I bumped mine up, as I need it for work, and work reimbursement for on-call cell has me only paying just over half my bill myself... for 4-lines...

One thing I was worried about w/a shared data plan was if my son hit "UNLIMITED CAP" of >50GB "only HE" will suffer 2g speeds until billing period cycles, not others on the plan. This was verified with Cust.SVC prior to the switch.

It'll be about +$15/month with the bump on tethering, but the "tethering ALONE" on the bump-up is +20GB, and I'll NEVER hit that.

Tether speeds look good at home:

Not-tea-bag...

Near work, I think they need to fix a tower or something. Never over 2Mbps/2Mbps, unless down-stream is, or up-stream is, but never both at the same time... and upstream is usually higher than 2Mbps, while down is usually less than 1Mbps.

I have 2 compadres en Mexico I'll be helping learn their job, so when I am down then for a couple weeks soon I am going to invite them to a 'Merican shooting range. If their cars will make the trip, and their Visas allow the distance to my local range where I have a membership, I think we can instill some Liberty in them, and they should have a "blast".
Old 05-19-2019, 6:33 AM

Att has free calling text and data calling in Mexico.
If you pay for the larger plan then you get free everything in Canada as well.

Other option is get Google fi and that works world wide. I run an esim phone and switch my carriers in a matter of seconds while traveling.
Old 05-19-2019, 6:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREBALL_BRIAN View Post
Att has free calling text and data calling in Mexico.
If you pay for the larger plan then you get free everything in Canada as well.

Other option is get Google fi and that works world wide. I run an esim phone and switch my carriers in a matter of seconds while traveling.
Uh, everyone I know with ATT cell data has never been reliable, dropped calls driving down the street, and data <1Meg download everywhere...
Has this changed in recent years?

Can you drop a speedtest screen-scrape for me?