Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 08-12-2014, 5:01 AM
In Memoriam

Default Anti-Virus: Purchase or Free?

I've been looking at a few free anti-virus programs available like Avira and they read good, but how good are they? I've also read about Microsoft Security Essentials being a good all around. How are these programs "free" Basic is free, but you pay for more advanced features?

It's just for surfing and I use my old desktop for the pron. I want ad-blocking/pop up blocking, background intrusion scanning and a cleaning utility of sorts.

Suggestions/input?

Win 7

WTS: 870 Barrel Clamp/Railed Mount

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...af415fafe8.jpg

Last edited by Zartan; 08-12-2014 at 9:14 AM.. Reason: OS
Old 08-12-2014, 5:03 AM

AVG Free is good
Old 08-12-2014, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHShooter View Post
It's just for surfing and I use my old desktop for the pron. I want ad-blocking/pop up blocking, background intrusion scanning and a cleaning utility of sorts.
I'm not sure about AV programs, but I love your brutal honesty.

I'm also interested in the answer to this.
Old 08-12-2014, 5:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

- AVG Free (resident)
- Super Anti Spyware Free (run occasionally)
- MalwareBytes Free (run occasionally)

Firefox:
- AdBlock Plus
- FlashBlock
Old 08-12-2014, 5:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

tagged
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 08-12-2014, 5:52 AM

Location: San Marcos (Pismo Beach, CA one weekend a month haha)

AVG for free
Nod32 for paid
Old 08-12-2014, 6:02 AM
Calguns Addict

For anti-virus by itself, just get Microsoft Security Essentials, and pair that with Malwarebytes on occasion.

MS Security Essentials is free, and it's actually part of Windows. It has probably the lowest requirements of any AV software as far as overhead goes.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 08-12-2014, 6:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
...MS Security Essentials is free, and it's actually part of Windows. It has probably the lowest requirements of any AV software as far as overhead goes.
...and the most infected.

Skip any M$ product that is supposed to protect you. SE is like their 3rd attempt at an AV, and still fails more than 3rd party free AVs.

I use Avast free(, used to use AVG until they started hijacking browser searches), Clam for my Windows server (not public-IP accessible).
Old 08-12-2014, 6:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Pay for quality. I like Eset and Webroot both of which are cheap if you catch a sale and have minimal overhead. I also suggest running Adblock Plus to help prevent banner inserted malware.

http://www.av-test.org/en/home/

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 08-12-2014, 6:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Thumbs up

Norton 360 and fuhgedaboutit...

It's not the memory hog it was a decade ago, and I've never had a virus get through it yet.
Old 08-12-2014, 7:31 AM

Location: San Marcos (Pismo Beach, CA one weekend a month haha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
Pay for quality. I like Eset and Webroot both of which are cheap if you catch a sale and have minimal overhead. I also suggest running Adblock Plus to help prevent banner inserted malware.

Yup. ESET Nod32
Old 08-12-2014, 7:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post

Skip any M$ product that is supposed to protect you. SE is like their 3rd attempt at an AV, and still fails more than 3rd party free AVs.

I use Avast free(, used to use AVG until they started hijacking browser searches), Clam for my Windows server (not public-IP accessible).
Wow ... that is pretty ignorant advice. If you have Windows 7 or 8, MS's own Security Essentials is probably THE best anti-malware available for the OS. I'd like to see proof where third-party AV software alone is better than MS SE. MS SE will stop most of all direct attacks against the MS OS -- that's what it was made to do, duh. Besides, it's already there with your OS and it's essentially free. Use it, just add another anti-malware software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Norton 360 and fuhgedaboutit...

It's not the memory hog it was a decade ago, and I've never had a virus get through it yet.
At least that you know of, right? Norton has become bottom of the heap AV. Like McAfee they have moved onto enterprise level appliances and software.

No one anti-malware software is going to protect any device any longer. Even if you have more than one anti-malware software at any given time, it still depends on YOU, the operator of the machine.

Last edited by NytWolf; 08-12-2014 at 8:05 AM..
Old 08-12-2014, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHShooter View Post
I've been looking at a few free anti-virus programs available like Avira and they read good, but how good are they? I've also read about Microsoft Security Essentials being a good all around. How are these programs "free" Basic is free, but you pay for more advanced features?

Suggestions/input?
paid eset NOD32 for me

as for your pron cleaning utility.......try

Last edited by gogohopper; 04-30-2018 at 11:46 AM..
Old 08-12-2014, 8:42 AM
Veteran Member

I was using AVG for almost 10 years and then when Windows 7 came out I moved to Microsoft Security Essentials and have been happy with them ever since.

I also use Spywareblaster and Spybot in addition to MSE and have very little to no problems with viruses, spyware, and malware.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 08-12-2014, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

The only free one I would use is MS Security Essentials. I prefer Mcaffee.

The simple question is .... if a large company invests millions developing and maintaining their AV software can you expect it to be better than free software put together by a few guys who make a few bucks off advertising and from including bloatware in the free stuff.

I'll trust a company who's success depends on the quality and effectiveness of their product. In MS's case, even though it's free, they created it to protect their other products and did a pretty good job.
Old 08-12-2014, 9:15 AM
In Memoriam

Thanks guys, great info. I'll just try MSE and see how I like it. I currently use Spyware blaster on my Desktop, but nothing stops the pron pop-ups when I want a full size window.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Calguns Addict

After trying a lot of different solutions I ended up a Kaspersky user for a long time, but about 4-5 years ago I switched to ESET NOD32 for both home and business use and haven't looked back.

It seems to be one of the best solutions I've come across, plus Newegg has them on special a lot, so you can get 3 x 1 year licenses for about $25 shipped so the cost can be very reasonable.

For a free solution, I also have no problem with MSE, its better than nothing if you don't want to pay for a solution. +1 on MalwareBytes too

Last edited by ExtremeX; 08-12-2014 at 1:26 PM..
Old 08-12-2014, 11:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use Avast as the main protection on all of my computers and have never got any virus or anything. I do scan occasionally with Malwarebytes just to double check but it has yet to find anything.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:44 AM

As part of your security routine make sure windows has all of the latest patch releases.

If you want another layer of protection, create another account on the PC and DO NOT give it admin rights. This way if anything does want to get installed on the PC it can't due to permissions. For browsing and fapping it should work.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

While Malwarebytes is great free anti-malware, IMHO spending $19 a year for Malwarebytes Pro was well worth the money.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Who is your internet provider???

Many offer free antivirus while you are a customer.

They offer the big brands.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 08-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytWolf View Post
Wow ... that is pretty ignorant advice. If you have Windows 7 or 8, MS's own Security Essentials is probably THE best anti-malware available for the OS. I'd like to see proof where third-party AV software alone is better than MS SE. MS SE will stop most of all direct attacks against the MS OS -- that's what it was made to do, duh. Besides, it's already there with your OS and it's essentially free. Use it, just add another anti-malware software.
Right because M$ makes the BEST browsers, Windows 8 is SUPER efficient, Vista was GREAT, XP64 was the best, ME was super, Windows 3.0 was AWESOME. /scar-chasm

Windows 7 ALWAYS tells you that ME that I don't have Internet access when I do, they STILL haven't figured out that while right-clicking files the same menu doesn't always pop-up in Windows 7 (x86 & 64bit) until you click it, then have to right click it again, so assume their AV is worth a crap? Let me just leave this here: http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/good...rty-antivirus/

I personally trust it as much as I trust IE (THX to the dubstep'd commercials), or "Verizon Internet Security Suite Anti-Virus Firewall".

Last edited by the86d; 08-12-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Old 08-12-2014, 12:46 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Who is your internet provider???

Many offer free antivirus while you are a customer.

They offer the big brands.
U-Verse.

I'd rather not use something given to me from a provider and I'm now leaning towards a pay fer AV.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Calguns Addict

IMHO.. there is only 1 clear choice for a PC - Kaspersky. And, you can routinely get dirt cheap year (or more) renews on ebay. I have done it this way for years for my PC dev machine. I have even bought 3 packs of renews and given codes away since I only use 1 code per year.

Kaspersky has a 30 day free trial. Do your research on them, they are an awesome product, CS is great, never had an issue or anything slip by it.
Old 08-12-2014, 1:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Hilarious that some people are suggesting paid version$ of McAffee and Norton

ALL the computers I diagnose for friends/family have one of these two installed of them
Old 08-12-2014, 1:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
Hilarious that some people are suggesting paid version$ of McAffee and Norton

ALL the computers I diagnose for friends/family have one of these two installed of them
I think its fair to say a good amount of us have started there too at one point in time, but I agree, not something I would actually use, let alone spend money to buy considering what else is available on the market.

Its almost hard to avoid them at times, its shipped with PCs from lots of manufactures by default as a trial or 1 year subscription, and also given away as part of ISP plans. Most of their market share is because its packaged with so many products.
Old 08-12-2014, 2:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Right because M$ makes the BEST browsers, Windows 8 is SUPER efficient, Vista was GREAT, XP64 was the best, ME was super, Windows 3.0 was AWESOME. /scar-chasm

Windows 7 ALWAYS tells you that ME that I don't have Internet access when I do, they STILL haven't figured out that while right-clicking files the same menu doesn't always pop-up in Windows 7 (x86 & 64bit) until you click it, then have to right click it again, so assume their AV is worth a crap? Let me just leave this here: http://www.howtogeek.com/173291/good...rty-antivirus/

I personally trust it as much as I trust IE (THX to the dubstep'd commercials), or "Verizon Internet Security Suite Anti-Virus Firewall".
So because MS makes lowsy browsers, their security software isn't worth a damn either? Sound logic you have. If you read above, there are others who recommend MSE also.

Anywho, like I stated above, use MSE in conjunction with at least one other anti-malware. NO anti-malware is going to stop 100% of all malware anyway.
Old 08-12-2014, 4:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Quote:

Yeeeeaaaahhhh ...

Since MSSE was released, I haven't had a single infection of any sort, and trust me ... if ANYONE was going to get infected, it would be me. Yes, I also have a paid subscription to MBAM as a backstop, but it's just been sitting there doing absolutely nothing for years.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 08-12-2014, 5:02 PM

I have a back up laptop that I don't use for much that I just use MS security essentials on. I haven't had any issues, but then I don't use the lap top for much.

On my main PC's, I've been using ESET Nod 32 for awhile now. I haven't had any issues running it. If you wait for a sale, you can often get it for $20 to $40 at places like Fry's. It just depends on if they are doing a sale or rebate at the store.

I like ESET because it is not very resource intensive. I used to run it on a very old XP machine and the PC had no issues running it at all nor did ESET seem like it was slowing it down much.
Old 08-12-2014, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

Watch the FRYS website. You can get a full paid version for the price of tax (5-10 bucks) after a mail in rebate. Been doing it for years. 3 PC License. Right now Im using Kaspersky with no problems. I use it for parental control as well.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/products-se...rnet-security/

The free versions don't come with all the extras. if they do I don't believe a company is dumping that much time and research into a free product when they most likely offer a paid version.

Last edited by pitbull30; 08-12-2014 at 5:53 PM..
Old 08-12-2014, 6:28 PM

Since you're going to surf the web of pron (kudos on the honesty )I would just create a virtual machine using Virtualbox. Once you have your base system/programs/configurations, create a snapshot. Then have at it. Once you're done, just restore the snapshot and any spyware/adware/virus will be gone. The notion of, "you get what you pay for" doesn't completely apply when it comes to software. Just because it's free, doesn't mean it's inferior. Look at most distributions of Linux as an example. Like others have said, load AVG free edition, Malwarebytes and AdBlocker Plus. IMO, the most common ways of getting a virus is installing "pre-required" apps in order to watch bootleg shows/movies/sports.
Old 08-12-2014, 7:07 PM
Banned

5+ years using AVG and other freeware like Super Antivirus...never a problem. Can't stand McAfee and NOrton...bloatware that slows systems.
Old 08-12-2014, 7:15 PM
Banned

Not sure if you have a Fry's Electronics near you, but if you do just go there and get a Norton Antivirus. Fry's has a very large rebate which makes Norton cost anywhere between $0-$30 most of the time.
Old 08-12-2014, 8:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I dumped norton as it was too intrusive.

I now use Kaspersky along with 3 anti spyware / malware programs.

The combo seems to work really well

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 08-12-2014, 8:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

For AV I use Avast! It's a free antivirus with basic protection but you can pay a sub for a much more comprehensive protection. In 8 years of using it though, I've never (knock on wood) had a virus. I use it in conjunction with Google Chrome and run adblock plus.

Patches sold here. I am not affiliated with this page in any way.
Old 08-12-2014, 9:01 PM

surf your porn in windows XP mode. Make a back up of the virtual pc. If it gets a virus just load the backup and delete the one with the virus. Rinse repeat.
Old 08-12-2014, 9:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Avast FTW!

Other than donations, I havent paid for an AV program in 13 years. Never had any problems. Avast has saved my *** many many times...

Its funny that some people think they cant get a good program for free. As if paying for something makes it any better? The two most used AV programs that I have seen mess up peoples computers and miss viruses are Norton and McAffee. Over bloated programs with over bloated price tags. I really cant say much about them though considering I havent used them for over a decade. I notice that on family and friends comps, when they ask me to fix them, they are always running those two AV programs. I tell them to delete them once the subscription is over and download Avast. They thank me every time.

There are developers out there that believe programs should be FREE and design the worlds best programs just because they love programming. There are also people out there that pay them large sums of money to support their cause because they believe in what they are doing.

When you use programs like Avast that are "free", you can upgrade for a price (still cheaper and better than the other AV programs) or you can donate (which I suggest doing)

I do agree with Peter Steele though. MS essentials is pretty damn good! I use their FW exclusively. So much better than setting exceptions and all that other BS. I feel more comfortable with Avast though. Not because I dont have faith in MS but because I love Avast...lol

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.

Last edited by blazeaglory; 08-12-2014 at 10:01 PM..
Old 08-12-2014, 10:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytWolf View Post
Actually he gave excellent advice, you just don't want to believe it. AV Tests rates the free MS product's protection with a zero out of a possible six points with both Win 7 and 8 while giving other free tools middle to high scores.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 08-12-2014 at 10:27 PM..
Old 08-13-2014, 12:27 AM

Default Decent Review Site

www.av-test.org/en/home does bi-monthly tests of anti-virus products. Do some research and pick your favorite. Here is the most recent test.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:43 AM

Avast on my PC and I use my iPhone for the pr0ns when in bed