Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > California Precision Rifle Club
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Precision Rifle Club California Precision Rifle Club Forum

Old 10-01-2008, 6:34 AM
Veteran Member

Default Remington 700 SPS Varmint w/ McMillan A4?

Im looking to get a tactical Remington 700 in .308. I know the police models already have the nice HS stock but I was lookin to put a McMillan A4 on it. I was thinking it would just be easier and cheaper to get the SPS Varmint and have the A4 installed on that. As far as I know, the workings of SPS are the same as the Police models. The only true reason for the high price disparity between these two rifles is the HS stock on the police model, right?

I my idea was both praised and shot down so I am not sure where I stand right now.

Any thoughts on my plans?
Andrew J.
Old 10-01-2008, 6:48 AM
Veteran Member

Andrew.

Since you are not skimping on the stock...try to find a M700 5R barreled action.

Those can be had for around 700.00 to 750.00 brand new. All the 5Rs I have seen shoot 1/2MOA out of the box and do fine out to 1K.

The SPS and M700P are different animals from what I understand. The 700P barrel is of a higher quality, heavier and is 26".

PM me, I may have a line on a brand spanking new 5R barreled action.

Please visit us @ www.ncpprc.com for more info.
Old 10-01-2008, 7:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Play around the the various stocks before purchasing if you can. Going the A4 route will incur additional bedding expenses. The HS and AICS will not.

The SPS is the good affordable choice.
Old 10-01-2008, 8:00 AM
Calguns Addict

The 700p and the sps-v are the same barreled action with a different finish. Get the sps-v, save the money and put it toward optics or ammo. Burn up the factory barrel practicing then get it rebarreled with a real match barrel.
Old 10-01-2008, 8:56 AM
Veteran Member

If anyone can ballpark it, how much would installation and bedding cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete75 View Post
Play around the the various stocks before purchasing if you can. Going the A4 route will incur additional bedding expenses. The HS and AICS will not.

The SPS is the good affordable choice.
Andrew J.
Old 10-01-2008, 9:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjarvi View Post
I've seen them run around. $500
Old 10-01-2008, 9:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Stock will run around $600 depending on options plus a 5 month wait. At least another $150-$200 to bed. In addition, If you want to run a detach magazine, the bottom metal will cost another $350.

If your lucky you may find a used one for about $500-$600.
Old 10-01-2008, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Depends on who does it and what type of bedding you want to do. If you have the stock and there is not inletting to be done probably in the area of $200.00 on up.

No offense here but it sounds like your kinda new at this . . . is there some particular reason you want an A4 over say an A1, A1 Adj, A2, A3, A5, HS, GAT etc etc. Have you shot with an A4? If not I'd just you get a 700 in a varimit flavor shoot it until the rifle's abilities are your handicap and not your own, by then the barrel will probably be pretty must toast and you'll know what configuration you what to rebuild on.
Old 10-01-2008, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

=) Because the USMC uses the A4

My McM A5 ran 650.00 + 300 for badger M5 + Bedding (pillars w/ skim bedding) 200.00 to 245.00 from Terry or GAP.

1150.00 just in the stock.

If you are brand new like Twolf has indicated I would go with a 5R for 800 to 900.00 with a nice HS stock. Or a FN SPR A1 which comes with a McM A3 with a detachable box magazine system that isn't too bad.

Shoots sub MOA out of the box. Comes with a 20MOA rail. All you need is rings and scope.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 AM

Does the 5R come in a left-handed version? I've been scouring the web for a LH .308 and am having a heck of a time finding anything.

It's to the point where I'm about to buy a .22-250 LH and have it rebarreled...

Thanks,

Mark
Old 10-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

No offense taken, I clearly am new to this.

Yes, I have shot a setup with the A4 stock on it. Some gentleman at a range let me put a few rounds through his rifle. I haven't fired a nicer feeling rifle since. I am interested in the A4 for several reaons being the vertical grip, adjustable length of pull, adjustable cheekpiece, and just overall quality and repuatation. I know HS makes a very similar stock (PST025) with just about all of the same features but that's where my persnoal taste comes into the picture; I like the look of the A4 better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Depends on who does it and what type of bedding you want to do. If you have the stock and there is not inletting to be done probably in the area of $200.00 on up.

No offense here but it sounds like your kinda new at this . . . is there some particular reason you want an A4 over say an A1, A1 Adj, A2, A3, A5, HS, GAT etc etc. Have you shot with an A4? If not I'd just you get a 700 in a varimit flavor shoot it until the rifle's abilities are your handicap and not your own, by then the barrel will probably be pretty must toast and you'll know what configuration you what to rebuild on.
Andrew J.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Yes, I have shot a setup with the A4 stock on it. Some gentleman at a range let me put a few rounds through his rifle. I haven't fired a nicer feeling rifle since. I am interested in the A4 for several reaons being the vertical grip, adjustable length of pull, adjustable cheekpiece, and just overall quality and repuatation. I know HS makes a very similar stock (PST025) with just about all of the same features but that's where my persnoal taste comes into the picture; I like the look of the A4 better.
Before you get an A4, spend some time on McMillans site and look around. All the features you listed can be had in the a3, a4, and a5.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFortie View Post
Does the 5R come in a left-handed version? I've been scouring the web for a LH .308 and am having a heck of a time finding anything.

It's to the point where I'm about to buy a .22-250 LH and have it rebarreled...

Thanks,

Mark
Mark,

Negative. M700 5Rs do not come LH. You will find that us south paws are screwed when looking for a tight shooting factory built rig.

I decided to go with a custom action for my lefty build and will never go back.

Trying to find a LH donor action is rough as well. By the time you buy a donor rifle and have it trued up you might as well get a custom action like a Stiller Tac 30 or Borden Alpine if you want to go high end.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I know. I've researched the others. But like I said, this is where my personal taste comes into play; I like the looks of the A4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksimple View Post
Before you get an A4, spend some time on McMillans site and look around. All the features you listed can be had in the a3, a4, and a5.
Andrew J.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

If an A4 is as comfy as you say it is to you then get one. Ergonomics is everything. However with all the features you just listed be prepared to be a lil sticker shock once you add everything up.

Try an A5 before you buy. I find the hook on the A5 is a lil less drastic and allows you to ride on a rear bag a lil easier. Or you can shoot with a glove like I do and still have the hook to grip on to.

+ For shooting off hand or positional the A5 is a lil more comfy to me at least when holding the forend. The A4 is too blocky for my taste.

Get behind as many A series stocks as you can before placing the order.

Oh....one more thing..order the stock with the barrel channel you MAY go to in the future...always better to go bigger on the channel to allow for heavier barrel contours later on.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:19 PM

I bought a used mcm a-5 and basically built my rifle around the stock. I know I wanted a surgeon action so as soon as a surgeon action inletted stock popped up i grabbed it. It was contoured for an mtu profiled barrel and so i could go with any contour i wanted later down the road. By buying used, you get to see the exact pattern you are getting without guessing on colors, you save some money, and you cut out the huge wait. I dont know about you but I hate sending off large amounts of money and not recieving anything for months. Barrels take anywhere from 3 weeks to 9 omnths to be completed so if you have a particular manufacturer in mind research it so that you can meet your timetable. Same thing with custom actions, if you go that route.
Old 10-01-2008, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

I like the idea of getting behind as many A series stocks as possible but is there any easy way to do that? I mean, I don't think there is anywhere I can test drive each of them before making a decision...

And I appreciate your guys help on the stock but right now I really wanna focus on the rifle/barreled action. I will focus on the stock somewhere down the line after I put some miles on the rifle and get used to shootin with her. So thanks for the help with that, I really appreciate it.

So I'm still not 100% sure if the police models have the same barreled action as the SPS Varmint. Any more input on that?
Andrew J.
Old 10-01-2008, 2:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Same barreled action, less the finish. Here's some info:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...rue#Post741744

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...rue#Post685209
Old 10-01-2008, 6:23 PM
Calguns Addict

My rifle started life as an SPS Varmint. I researched the living crap out of that purchase. The SPS is the exact same barreled action. The only difference between a 700P and an SPS Varmint is the P is parked (read more resistant to rust) and the SPS-V is blued. If you plan on refinishing then the SPS-V is definitely worth the purchase. If not the be warned the rifle will need a health dose of break free to get rid of the rust.
Old 10-01-2008, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. I stopped by a local dealer and asked the same question and got the same answer you gave me. Thanks to rksimple as well for the help. Those links were helpful, except for their excessive bickering .

So today when I stopped by my local dealer, they had a Rem 700 with a A5 stock installed. I was a beautiful looking rifle and it felt great. It did, however, remind how much heavier the McMillans are compared to the HS setups. Sadly, seeing the 700's with the McMillan and HS stocks sitting side by side only made my decision harder for me.

Someone in one of the links put it nicely:
The SPS-V is the way to go if you are going to go with something other than the H&S stock OR you don't have the cash for the 700p. Even with the tupperware it's a great shooter.

This is essentially what you all were telling me anyway. But of course now, I have to decide if I want to stick with the HS (700p) or McMillan (SPS V and swap out the stock).

So, I am sorry to say, despite all your guys great help, it didnt make my decision any easier .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prc329 View Post
My rifle started life as an SPS Varmint. I researched the living crap out of that purchase. The SPS is the exact same barreled action. The only difference between a 700P and an SPS Varmint is the P is parked (read more resistant to rust) and the SPS-V is blued. If you plan on refinishing then the SPS-V is definitely worth the purchase. If not the be warned the rifle will need a health dose of break free to get rid of the rust.
Andrew J.

Last edited by andrewj; 10-01-2008 at 7:05 PM..
Old 10-01-2008, 8:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Emily grace started life like this.

Factory SPS-V with a brake and AICS.

And now looks like this

Rock Creek Barrel and Badger FTE Brake

And shoots like this

Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vu 308 View Post
PM me, I may have a line on a brand spanking new 5R barreled action.
If you know someone splitting up actions and stocks, hook me up with a deal on a 700P take-off HS stock.
I need one for my 223 build...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prc329 View Post
Dude, you missed...

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 10-02-2008, 6:33 AM

Just to add a little more confusion, have you looked at Manner's stocks? Similar to McMillan, and of excellent quality. Prices are similar- maybe a little less than a McMillan and with shorter wait times.
Old 10-02-2008, 6:40 AM

Love my stock Rem 700 5R (well, of course, lightened up the trigger). Always surprised by the accuracy.
Old 10-02-2008, 7:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Dude, you missed...
I pulled the first round and decided to put the rest next to it
Old 02-20-2009, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksimple View Post
the a4 seems to be the only ambi stock. is that true?