Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHH View Post
The PMM fore end allows for a more forward hand position, and that's a real improvement with this gun in particular. With the factory sling setup, the fit is not great for people with longer arms.
Yeah, no doubt. Not too much different than trying to work with a standard AR carbine handguard - even something like a Magpul SL gives you a mid length guard.... and then there are 13" or 15" tubes.

Not expecting it to be a $30 solution on the PCC. There might be more engineering and parts, or more material to go into it since it is take-down, but maybe not. Magpul fit and finish on the polymer SL's is pretty flawless. Maybe they could even accomplish it for $30-$40 and shave OFF weight, ya never know. Come on Magpul.

Cannot wait till there is some competition in this category. The rear sight relocation rail is what I am waiting for the most right now.
Old 10-16-2018, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

Part or the problem with a new forend, is there is only one mounting bolt. So there is a lot of stress on that one small mounting area.

So a plastic forend would have to have some added material or a aluminum/metal insert to give it some extra strength.

What do hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 10-19-2018, 2:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default SIG ROMEO5 $109.99 SHIPPED

SIG Romeo5 $109.99 shipped @ Brownells - use code NBM

https://gun.deals/newsletter-view/11...ewsletter-1131

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...ampaign=Itwine

Last edited by WartHog; 10-19-2018 at 3:04 PM..
Old 10-19-2018, 3:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Furk it - have a TRS-25 mounted up but going to see how the Romeo5 compares!
Old 10-26-2018, 3:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Received my Sig Romeo5 and it appears to be defective as it will not power back on automatically after it shuts down following 2 minutes of inactivity. Brownell's said they would send another one out Monday with expedited shipping but I'm thinking of just returning for refund and spending more $ on a higher quality compact optic. What would you guys recommend in the $300 range with an etched reticle - Holosun 510C?

Old 10-26-2018, 7:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Holosun makes the Romeo 5, so don't expect a hugely better product.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Holosun makes the Romeo 5, so don't expect a hugely better product.

What else would be a step-up then?

Old 10-27-2018, 8:17 AM

Another alternative is the Primary Arms Prism 2.5x Compact. Etched rectile which is also illuminated if you need it

Yeah its bigger than a red dot but for me works better than 1x red dots...including the Holosun 510c

The PA prism is $199
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger PCC-PA 2.5x.jpg (94.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Ruger PCC-PA 2.5x-Glock.jpg (97.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 10-27-2018, 9:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GLOCK30 View Post
Another alternative is the Primary Arms Prism 2.5x Compact. Etched rectile which is also illuminated if you need it

Yeah its bigger than a red dot but for me works better than 1x red dots...including the Holosun 510c

The PA prism is $199
I went this route https://www.primaryarms.com/pa30mmrd-ad
Mounted it with a low mount 30mm scope ring. It mounts almost low enough to use the irons properly.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:42 AM

I use a vortex spitfire x1. Not a red dot; a prismatic sight with an etched reticle. A plus is that it doesn't need batteries to be seen in the daytime. The one below is the older model that has a removable base so it can be used on rifles that need ether high or low mounts.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-...dcd0e2ece088d1

For information on the State of Jefferson movement go to http://www.soj51.net/

Last edited by kenl; 10-27-2018 at 11:46 AM..
Old 10-27-2018, 2:34 PM

The reason I went with the 2.5x was for "magnification"....and the rectile is very easy to see without illumination but it has that for conditions that require some

with the etched rectile dead batteries are not a problem

PA makes some nice stuff. If I was getting a red dot I would have gone with theirs
Old 10-31-2018, 2:31 PM

Got to the outdoor range. Set target out at 50 yards. Took about 20 rounds to get the 2.5x dialed in

This gun is solid. Spent the rest of the day going at steel targets 100-300 yards out. I just used the elevation correction hash marks in the rectile to compensate for the longer distances. I did use the illumination set at 7 as the etched black was hard to see against the black target. Really liking this PA prism scope
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PCC 50 yards PA 2,5x.jpg (84.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 11-06-2018, 2:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Back to bags again... sorry if this is redundant. I posted in another range bag thread, but the Battlesteel bag is worth it IMHO. Get one.

The difference between something like a Battlesteel covert and a FSDC/Ruger would be build quality, materials... the Battlesteel is something like MILSPEC or hard use with actual safety belt strapping used in construction and very thick canvas materials, great zippers around 46 ounces. FSDC, though well reviewed and loved IMHO, is one of those light as a feather Chinese bags with thin and shiny materials. But not bottom of the barrel. FSDC bag = 25 ounces.

FSDC bag has those nice pockets on the outside, but the Battlesteel has some room in the middle where you could stash some hand guns or guns in rugs, ammo, ears. I love the Battle Steel for $35. Ample room in there not stuffed and running out of pocket like the FSDC if your PCC is not configured as small as possible. I'm buying more - some might make it to Xmas as presents... mulling over the 36" options too. BUT 26" is ideal for the PCC.

26"

36"

Last edited by crufflers; 11-12-2018 at 1:24 PM..
Old 11-06-2018, 5:49 PM

^^^Does that bag have a part/stock #?
Source?.....Thanx
Old 11-06-2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Got to the outdoor range. Set target out at 50 yards. Took about 20 rounds to get the 2.5x dialed in

This gun is solid. Spent the rest of the day going at steel targets 100-300 yards out. I just used the elevation correction hash marks in the rectile to compensate for the longer distances. I did use the illumination set at 7 as the etched black was hard to see against the black target. Really liking this PA prism scope
That will certainly get it done.
I use a Leupold Delta Point Pro on my Ruger PC9; so far so good.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Source?.....Thanx

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battle-Stee...-/392076037915

Last edited by WartHog; 11-06-2018 at 10:22 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 11:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Source?.....Thanx
Battle Steel Discreet Compact Weapon/Gun/Rifle Bag Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F6TPYYH..._de04BbAMAW4RX
Old 11-07-2018, 12:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Battle Steel Discreet Compact Weapon/Gun/Rifle Bag Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F6TPYYH..._de04BbAMAW4RX
i'm going to guess the 26" bag is enough for the PCC when taken apart? don't want to accidentally order the wrong size.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 11-07-2018, 12:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
i'm going to guess the 26" bag is enough for the PCC when taken apart? don't want to accidentally order the wrong size.
Yeah 26" for this bag. 22" is about the minimum usable for the PCC - like for the Skinner folding take-down case, etc...

These are a nice option. To be more discreet, they coulda left off the hook and loop patch, but otherwise it is a great bag at a steal of a price.
Old 11-07-2018, 1:41 PM

[QUOTE=crufflers;22304431]
The difference between something like a Battlesteel covert and a FSDC/Ruger would be build quality, materials... the Battlesteel is something like MILSPEC or hard use with actual safety belt strapping used in construction and very thick canvas materials, great zippers around 46 ounces. FSDC, though well reviewed and loved IMHO, is one of those light as a feather Chinese bags with thin and shiny materials. But not bottom of the barrel. FSDC bag = 25 ounces.

FSDC bag has those nice pockets on the outside, but the Battlesteel has some room in the middle where you could stash some hand guns or guns in rugs, ammo, ears. I love the Battle Steel for $35. Ample room in there not stuffed and running out of pocket like the FSDC if your PCC is not configured as small as possible. I'm buying more - some might make it to Xmas as presents... mulling over the 36" options too. BUT 26" is ideal for the PCC.

/QUOTE]

Not bagging your bag :-)

But I do have the FSDC (Ruger) bag for my PCC. To me it is not cheaply made and is durable enough for any use I will give it.

Your new bag looks to be bigger so you can carry more stuff in it.

FWIW my PCC has a PA 2.5x Prism optic on it and it fits in the FSDC.

Good to have alternates and for $35 the larger one looks to be a good deal
Old 11-07-2018, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Not bagging your bag :-)

But I do have the FSDC (Ruger) bag for my PCC. To me it is not cheaply made and is durable enough for any use I will give it.

Your new bag looks to be bigger so you can carry more stuff in it.

FWIW my PCC has a PA 2.5x Prism optic on it and it fits in the FSDC.

Good to have alternates and for $35 the larger one looks to be a good deal

Yeah haha... I was bagging on MY bag... or rather commenting. I have a Skinner, Vertx, Battlesteel, FSDC... FSDC could be bigger and heavier duty ... it is fine for $40-$50 but $80+ Id get the BS or Skinner. Vertx is bigger and works for ARs plus PCC same trip.
Old 11-07-2018, 2:44 PM
Calguns Addict

You has 4 bags?? Better get some more Rugers.
Old 11-07-2018, 2:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You has 4 bags?? Better get some more Rugers.
he's saving them for when ruger announces the different calibers. need space to hold the different barrels and bolt heads.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 11-07-2018, 4:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
he's saving them for when ruger announces the different calibers. need space to hold the different barrels and bolt heads.
Maybe. I have two 9mm. Might get a 10mm. My cousin is going to get a PCC. I'll give him a bag. You can store other things in them... like trunk bags, tool bags, camping bags, etc. You count all the bags I have it'd be more than that... really only maybe the Skinner and FSDC are made for take-downs specifically.

These are among the best quality for the $$$. Only because they are on clearance, like my Vertx courier was. If you are spending $36 this is where you should spend it. Skinner @ $60 is a good value too, and prolly the smallest for just the PCC, but can be a little awkward to carry. Could use a strap. The BS zips up with all this in there and doesn't feel like it will rip carrying it.

Last edited by crufflers; 11-08-2018 at 7:39 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 8:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here's another case from Bulldog Cases called their Ultra Compact AR15 Discreet Sporting Rifle Case. It's available in Black (BD476) or Navy Blue (BD475-01). Like all the top-line Bulldog cases, it is very well made from good quality materials, nice thick padding, a padded divider, and heavy-duty lockable zippers. Four 10-rnd Glock mags fit in the Mag pockets. For $33-$34, it is a very good value considering the overall quality of the case. Measures 29"L x 11"H outside dimensions.

Unfortunately, there are no sewn-in Velcro straps to secure a weapon from moving around and there are no zippered pouches for small item storage. If Bulldog would change the design to incorporate these things, it would be close to perfect for a discreet case.

https://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Cases.../dp/B072JHD42C

https://www.opticsplanet.com/bulldog...navy-blue.html

Old 11-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Walmart also has the Battle Steel bag for about the same price, if you'd rather not enrich Bezos.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Walmart also has the Battle Steel bag for about the same price, if you'd rather not enrich Bezos.
looks like botach is the only seller of the battle steel bags everywhere online.

wonder if it is a house brand.
Old 11-09-2018, 1:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, Walmart sells random stuff online in the Amazon / Ebay style too. As far as I know they just list it and they don’t stock it in their warehouse for the sellers (Prime). I’d rather buy right from the Botach site. I bought from Ebay till the allotment ran out. I’m sure Walmart charges similar fees. BS makes other gear but I was only familiar with their MRO mounts previously... KZ is the Botach brand and I don’t like the stuff I’ve had of theirs... crappy mag springs, etc... I steer clear of Kley-Zion. I had two bags come in from Ebay and Amazon... both from Botach drop shipped same packaging.

It is more on their site @ $39.99 but with a code it’d be a buy. BS makes everything from ballistic plates / carriers to bolts... yeah I wonder what the relationship to Botach is.

https://www.facebook.com/battlesteel/

https://www.botach.com/brands/Battle-Steel.html

http://www.battlesteel.com

www url expired and bounces to BOTACH page about nuthin' so there might be something to that theory. Could be anything with BOTACH... partner, cousin, brother, contracting scheme... who knows. Good bag for cheap though

Prices seem great to me. $80 for a bullet proof backpack, $18 for a two pack of ammo cans made in the USA, MRO with mount for $399, double rifle for $50 and Tennis racket case $40 when they were in stock, etc...

Last edited by crufflers; 11-09-2018 at 9:14 AM..
Old 11-09-2018, 9:48 AM
Calguns Addict

If you buy it from Walmart, it's fulfilled by Botach, lol. Botach sometimes takes forever and a day to ship, don't know if it's any faster if it's ordered through Walmart. They don't show it as available for pickup from a Walmart store, but shipping is free.
Old 11-12-2018, 1:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you buy it from Walmart, it's fulfilled by Botach, lol. Botach sometimes takes forever and a day to ship, don't know if it's any faster if it's ordered through Walmart. They don't show it as available for pickup from a Walmart store, but shipping is free.
I received three I ordered separately already. They may take a few days to ship and then it is slow USPS shipping.
Old 11-13-2018, 8:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have been having issues with my charging handle coming lose while shooting my carbine. I tried using a correct sized lockwasher hoping the allen screw/lockwasher combo would help keep the charging handle snug to the bolt carrier. Range trip yesterday and about 20 rounds in the charging handle was loose...

I don't like the idea of using blue locktite to keep the charging handle from loosening up but I am not sure what else to do. I might give Ruger a call and see what they say...

Old 11-13-2018, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bulletBarney View Post
I have been having issues with my charging handle coming lose while shooting my carbine. I tried using a correct sized lockwasher hoping the allen screw/lockwasher combo would help keep the charging handle snug to the bolt carrier. Range trip yesterday and about 20 rounds in the charging handle was loose...

I don't like the idea of using blue locktite to keep the charging handle from loosening up but I am not sure what else to do. I might give Ruger a call and see what they say...
AR15.com were addressing this and other issues. They also do not recommend loctite for a screw that needs to be removed from time to time.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/R...Sep/48-486962/

They recommend a torx socket cap screw:

"adding a locking washer and a couple of small flat washers to a 10-32x3/4 grade 8 Torx-plus socket cap screw prevents the screw from loosening under recoil and decreases the required tool depth."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torx.jpg (8.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-13-2018, 9:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bulletBarney View Post
I don't like the idea of using blue locktite to keep the charging handle from loosening up
Why? That's what it is for.
Old 11-13-2018, 9:46 AM

Pick up my PC Carbine tomorrow. Looking forward to shooting it.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Don't like it for something to be removed with every field strip. Prefer it for semi permanent assemblies only.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
Don't like it for something to be removed with every field strip. Prefer it for semi permanent assemblies only.
If I can torque it less than 65 in-lbs and have it stay put and not mess up the screw head I'd opt for it, but if there's better screws I can see why people would think they know better than Ruger. A little Loctite goes a long way, if you slather it on there and strip the hex head, I wouldn't say that's Loctite's fault. I haven't noticed mine getting loose after swapping sides, I will check them ASAP. Everyone is sure Ruger doesn't put factory thread locker on any screws? Maybe this is a situation to try Loctite "222" though I don't have issues gracefully backing out screws on-purpose with blue.
Old 11-13-2018, 6:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I knew Lochtite Blue was "removable" but it looks like it was designed to use on fasteners that require normal disassembly. I thought blue was designed so that a fastener could be removed if removable was necessary. I found this datasheet on Locktite Blue 242...

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/T_LKR_BLUE_tds.pdf

I have a tube in the box and will go ahead and use it...