Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 10-09-2018, 5:41 PM

Default Disappointed with Walther P22ca

Like the title says, disappointed. I thought this pistol would be the best of the limited choice that we have with the Ca. roster. Supposedly, all the early design problems were fixed. Well, not really. After a trip back to Walther where they replaced the slide, and trying different brands of ammo, it is now about 95% reliable for 200-300 rounds, when it needs cleaning to remain reliability.
I put on a fiber optic front sight that made it shoot low. There are no, aftermarket or factory, height adjustable rear sights made. I did make a higher attachment that I epoxied to the rear sight, then filed the groove depth to hit point of aim.
This is not a accurate gun. I think the problem is that the slide does not lock up very well or consistently.
When in battery, the rear of the slide can move about 1/8" side to side. The rails on the rear of the frame are only about 2" long to support the whole slide (not good), which is evidently too wide to lock up tight.
Is this normal? I didn't check it on the original.
Old 10-09-2018, 5:50 PM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

The design is great, ergonomic...CCI mini mags work fine.
A great alternative that won't break the bank; Buck Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 10-09-2018, 6:03 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Barrel is fixed to the frame like most blowback designs.
So, a loose slide means nothing as long as it does its job.
There are several generations of magazines, I had Gen 3 mags when I had the Walther and it worked fine.
What concerned me was the rapid slide wear at the slide stop notch, due to the slide being made from soft zinc alloy.
This area immediately began peening out, requiring dressing with a file from time to time to keep the original shape.

I'm getting on in years, and now thinking about which select few guns that I will pass onto my sons.
That means selling off those that I won't keep for them.
Gone already are any and all guns with zinc parts, including the Walther.

I wish the Walther had a steel slide, it would have been a keeper if so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 10-09-2018, 6:13 PM
Veteran Member

I have had no issues with mine. Only had it for about a year. I will keep a close eye on it.
Old 10-09-2018, 6:38 PM

Love the compactness and ergonomics of this pistol but HATE the sights. Sloppy with lots of play and an overly wide cut-out on the rear sight. Had to glue the rear sight to stop it from shifting on the screw.

At best, I can get 10rnd 4.5" group at 25yrds off-hand. Hardly a tack-driver but fine enough for plinking. The biggest factor in reducing its accuracy for me is its light weight. At 17oz, it's only half the weight of a Buck Mark or Ruger Mark II. Any slight twitch/tremor in my arm or hand makes for a wide flyer.

On the plus side, this pistol is a breeze to field strip compared to a Buck Mark or Ruger Mark II. And its featherweight and size would make it an attractive EDC backup gun.

For me, CCI Mini-mags, CCI Poly (Christmas Edition), Win Sup-X, and Rem Golden Bullets are hot enough for me to feed through 5 mags (50rnds) without issue on my range visits. Any Federal and Aguila Super Extra I found less than reliable in my Walther. If it's a new pistol, you can reduce FTF issues by breaking-in the slide recoil spring by keeping it in the chamber open position for a day or two.

The slide-stop wear is a worrying issue. I'll have to get out of my 1911 habit of using it as a slide release and always rack the slide from now on.

Watch my gun and ammo product reviews Moondog Industries
and gadget reviews Moondog R&D |
NRA CRSO | NRA Life Member |
Coyote Point Rifle & Pistol Club Webmaster |
www.MoondogIndustries.com

Last edited by MoondogIndustries; 10-09-2018 at 6:50 PM..
Old 10-10-2018, 7:35 AM

I didnt like the walther I tried multiples at the range and they all jammed every other shot and I couldn't hit anything.

Ironically I picked up a sig mosquito that's runs super reliable with golden bullet crap ammo. And its bigger so it feels better in the palms yet everyone says they suck lol. I love mine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2018, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
Barrel is fixed to the frame like most blowback designs.
So, a loose slide means nothing as long as it does its job.
With 1/8" slop in the rear of the slide, do you think the rear sight is always in the same place?

I probably posted too much info in my original post, so here's the question again--
Is it normal that when in battery--ready to fire--that the rear of the slide can be pushed side to side about 1/8"??
Old 10-10-2018, 8:35 AM
Veteran Member

It's why I went with with a Buckmark over a p22. Everything about it is better.
Old 10-10-2018, 9:52 AM
Calguns Addict

I did some research and found the P22 bible. Search for free download. That was the best thing I ever did. Explains the problems and fixes that improve the P22.

I have an older 5 " P22 and it ran great until the firing pin broke. I replaced it.
Ran great on HV 22 ammo du jour. Still does.

My P22 extractor got wonky and started to FTE. I did the extractor mod and it works fine.

*Use a combat hold on your targets and your accuracy will come around. I use the bigger back strap arch and original front sight.

P22 is a plinker. Don't expect premium accuracy/precision.

Fix it and/or sell it. Your call OP.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-10-2018, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pofoo View Post
With 1/8" slop in the rear of the slide, do you think the rear sight is always in the same place?

I probably posted too much info in my original post, so here's the question again--
Is it normal that when in battery--ready to fire--that the rear of the slide can be pushed side to side about 1/8"??
The slide will move side to side. NOT 1/8". Micrometer vs eyeball?
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

There is lots of good info out there to keep these going and as noted fix any problems that pop up.
Rimfire central has a good Walther forum also.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p22/

https://www.gunfactory.ch/download/W..._P22_bible.pdf

Last edited by Tom-ADC; 10-10-2018 at 10:34 AM..
Old 10-10-2018, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
The slide will move side to side. NOT 1/8". Micrometer vs eyeball?
Yes, you're right. I was just going by memory. I just looked at it and it moves about a 1/16". Still pretty substantial, especially coupled with the rear sight that is flexible. Probably the loosest pistol I own.
I also called Walther customer service, before looking at the pistol again this morning, and asked them if 1/8" slop was acceptable. "Within factory specs".
Old 10-10-2018, 1:04 PM

The P22 is a piece of plastic and pot metal garbage. What did you expect for a bit north of $200?
Old 10-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

The two Oh No pistols are : P-22 and Mosquito.
Some of you will say I am wrong, because you have a good P-22/Mosquito, because you never count how many posts bashing P-22/Mosquito and how many post bashing Buckmak/Ruger Mark/SR-22 .
Old 10-12-2018, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

My wife has one in baby blue and it runs fine on CCI RN mini mags.

It’s a cheap 22 pistol for plinking, any minor issues it has can easily be overlooked in my opinion. The only gun I own that is as cheaper is the cricket 22 bolt action I bought for my son. I don’t know about others but I could look at it and handle it, pretty obvious is was cheaply made. Still bought it and it shoots pretty well actually.

I also own a ruger mark pistol and it’s more reliable, but it also cost quite a bit more so as usual you get what you pay for.
Old 10-12-2018, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member

My wife owns a P22CA with the nickel slide. It shoots great. It’s favorite ammo is Federal bulk HV HP from Walmart. We did break it in with CCI MiniMags. It also shoots the Aguila SSS sub sonic 60 grain sniper ammo reliably. Although the SSS ammo keyholes.
Old 10-12-2018, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

The only gun I ever got rid of. Cut your losses and get a buckmark.
Old 10-12-2018, 9:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
h the SSS ammo keyholes.
Thats just the barrel twist, most .22lr barrels are too slow of a twist to properly stabalize that long heavy round.
Old 10-15-2018, 7:59 AM

Default Disappointed with Walther P22ca

I bought one for $150 a few years back, thinking it was perfect for my kids. Turns out it was a POS that jammed regularly with even CCI ammo. I ended up selling it off, along with my Sig Mosquito that I liked, but was not very accurate. I’ve found nothing else to be as accurate or reliable as my Ruger 22/45 MKIII pistols, except maybe a S&W Model 41.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Luvr View Post
I beg to differ. The full length dust cover rail makes a world of difference in the "when I run out of bullets I'm going to beat you to death with the pistol" look that causes bad guys to run in fear, and lesser men to feel inadequate. It looks just plain beastly and the extra heft up front does help manage recoil a bit better. Plus, an angel told me that when God called JMB to heaven it was to build him a full rail 1911!
Old 10-24-2018, 10:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Mine shoots fine with CCI Mini Mag, CCI Blazer, and Rem Golden Bullet rounds. Like the SR22, it is not a very accurate gun. It's a fun gun to shoot because or the ergo as well as the compact size. If you want an accurate gun, get a Buckmark or a Ruger Mark I thri IV.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Rented one at the range..was disappointed with all the jams & misfires.

It's a designed taste that is not for me.
Old 11-05-2018, 4:17 PM

Reading this thread, along with some additional research, is exactly why I decided to pay 50% more, and patiently held out for a like-new, off-roster Ruger SR22 (primarily for my wife to shoot). Getting it out of jail on Sunday - hope it works out.
Old 11-06-2018, 6:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Sadly, compared with earlier high-quality Walther pistols, the P22s are a piece of solid sewage! Just my opinion...
Old 11-07-2018, 4:14 PM

A user on Rimfire Central by the name "1917-1911M" has an extensive mod list. I spent a lot of time modding mine and it shoots great now but jyo is right, its a real POS that Walther just won't correct. If your hearts in it:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=257329
Old 11-07-2018, 5:12 PM
Veteran Member

I’ve got one new in the box in the safe I guess I need to make a range trip to see if it works.

Old 11-07-2018, 5:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
I’ve got one new in the box in the safe I guess I need to make a range trip to see if it works.
Be sure to break it down and lube it with oil when you pre-flight it. Bring oil to the range too.
BTW, this is the only 22 that I don't use grease on.
*I use a needle oiler.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 11-07-2018, 6:33 PM

mine shot 100/100 high velocity CCI mini mags 36gr or 40gr

anything else sucked

the gun was sold asap.
Old 11-07-2018, 7:56 PM

I shoot Mini Mags and Golden Bullet. Both have shot well in my gun. I've heard Golden Bullets work well for a lot of P22 owners. They're just a little dirtier and leave gold dust all over my fingers
Old 11-22-2018, 8:07 AM

Had and sold due to terrible accuracy . Love the look and feel but they are junk buddy . Sorry
Old 11-27-2018, 2:17 PM
Banned

Wow, sounds like my Mosquito problems, it was between Sig and Walther when I was buying it. It looks like much of the same from the P22.
Old 11-27-2018, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
Wow, sounds like my Mosquito problems, it was between Sig and Walther when I was buying it. It looks like much of the same from the P22.
My Mosquito runs perfect but it was very worn in when I purchased it.

I found a shop online for $59 bucks claims to fix all problems with the mosquito with key polishing etc. If mine has any problems I might send it there.

Old 11-27-2018, 6:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chomorro View Post
My Mosquito runs perfect but it was very worn in when I purchased it.

I found a shop online for $59 bucks claims to fix all problems with the mosquito with key polishing etc. If mine has any problems I might send it there.

For me it just wasn't worth it the hassle. Sold it to a friend that likes gunsmithing projects for $150.