Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 04-13-2016, 1:02 PM

Default Looking to buy a speargun.

I'm interested in buying a speargun, and just started reading up on them this week. I have the snorkel, fins, mask, weight belt and a pole spear.

I want a speargun for longer range and shooting bigger fish. I'm going to be bringing it on my kayak when I paddle out to oil rigs to fish, and I plan on diving while I'm out there. Last Friday I was out and the visibility was great, saw huge schools of Jack Crevalle swimming around (caught 5), spadefish, sheepshead, etc. Would have been a good opportunity to spear a few. I also have a friend with an offshore boat so we go out 20-35 miles out, and I'd like to be able spear anything we run into out there. From what I understand cobia are legal to spear in federal waters?

Anyways, I'm looking at a JBL Woody Sawed Off Magnum, only because 2 guys I know have JBLs. Any thoughts or other guns I should look into?
Old 04-13-2016, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull's_eye View Post
I'm interested in buying a speargun, and just started reading up on them this week. I have the snorkel, fins, mask, weight belt and a pole spear.

I want a speargun for longer range and shooting bigger fish. I'm going to be bringing it on my kayak when I paddle out to oil rigs to fish, and I plan on diving while I'm out there. Last Friday I was out and the visibility was great, saw huge schools of Jack Crevalle swimming around (caught 5), spadefish, sheepshead, etc. Would have been a good opportunity to spear a few. I also have a friend with an offshore boat so we go out 20-35 miles out, and I'd like to be able spear anything we run into out there. From what I understand cobia are legal to spear in federal waters?

Anyways, I'm looking at a JBL Woody Sawed Off Magnum, only because 2 guys I know have JBLs. Any thoughts or other guns I should look into?
Will this be your first gun? What is your budget? Where do you think you will use it and for what target species?

There are 1,000 possible answers to your question, but at the end of the day, pretty much anything you can kill with a 72" five-band tuna gun, you can also kill with a pole spear - you just have to be a much better hunter.

My point is that its a tough question to answer with a universal solution.

My *personal* favorites after having probably 50 different guns, is an Ulusub, either in a rear handle up to about 150 or mid-handle larger than that. I have several. They aren't cheap, but they are a GREAT value - however they take 6 months of waiting from the time you order one (depending on what he's got and what you want). They are also heavy and bulky to travel with.

My recommendation (if this is to be your first gun) is to buy a good rail gun like a Mako Predator Pro. For the species you're talking about, something in a 120 size would probably do nicely. Get one threaded shaft and one flopper with it, and also a slip tip (Cobia and wahoo have really soft flesh and a slip tip will prevent losing fish). Also get it rigged for "break-away" and get yourself a good quality 100' float line and a good float. You can get all that stuff from Mako, or from Neptonics (except the gun).

The great thing about the Mako guns is that they are a heck of a bargain, well made, light weight, easy to travel with, and pretty reliable, IMO. You also don't have to worry about messing up the finish (like you do on $1,000+ wooden guns).

One of my buddies has traveled and shot fish ALL over the world, of ALL species with one single gun - a Rabitech 120 (which is identical to the Mako, but from South Africa). I've used that same gun to shoot yellowtail, grouper, and white seabass. A super versatile, inexpensive, and easy to travel with.

My other recommendation is NOT to buy a used gun unless it is from someone you know or someone you trust (or me). A lot of guys will sell guns because they don't shoot straight, and you don't want to be stuck with a $400 wall hanger that looks cool but won't kill fish.

Finally, you'll probably find a lot more information (and replies) at http://www.spearingforum.com - its a great group of guys (mostly So Cal). I'm SBH2Oman over on that forum
Old 04-13-2016, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

^listen to him. I recognize his handle from when I used to live closer to the water and spear more often.

Also can't go wrong with a 130cm rob Allen gun for a budget oriented longer rig.
Old 04-13-2016, 3:16 PM

Hey Standish -SLO, IIRC - right?
Old 04-13-2016, 3:24 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, good memory!

I miss it so much. I don't dive near enough anymore. Nice to have the Sierra closer, but man do I miss SLO-SB. I need to plan a trip out there soon.
Old 04-13-2016, 3:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Mako for the price. Make sure you get shark fin tabs on the spear. Makes it easier to load. JBL are not the greatest and the shafts are too thick, heavy and slow. Don't go bigger than 120cm as they become a major PITA to load.

Rear handle are easier to aim vs mid handles like a jbl. Get over to spearboard, it's the equal to calguns.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 04-13-2016 at 3:31 PM..
Old 04-13-2016, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Get over to spearboard, it's the equal to calguns.
I haven't seen quite as much d*ck-waving drama here on Calguns, but I'm relatively new - maybe I missed it.
Old 04-13-2016, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsyncro View Post
I haven't seen quite as much d*ck-waving drama here on Calguns, but I'm relatively new - maybe I missed it.
Just wait until someone posts "I'm new to hunting, where are some public land pig hunting spots?" or "can I hunt deer and pig with my AR15?" or "how many magazines should I carry for my sidearm while hunting?"

Things will get pretty heated...
Old 04-13-2016, 5:00 PM

Ah... You mean:
"Where can I shoot a big White Seabass?"
"Can I shoot a seabass with my 38" Riffe Metal Tech?"
"Should I use a floatline or reel for hunting seabass?"
Old 04-13-2016, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Will this be your first gun? What is your budget? Where do you think you will use it and for what target species?

There are 1,000 possible answers to your question, but at the end of the day, pretty much anything you can kill with a 72" five-band tuna gun, you can also kill with a pole spear - you just have to be a much better hunter.

My point is that its a tough question to answer with a universal solution.

My *personal* favorites after having probably 50 different guns, is an Ulusub, either in a rear handle up to about 150 or mid-handle larger than that. I have several. They aren't cheap, but they are a GREAT value - however they take 6 months of waiting from the time you order one (depending on what he's got and what you want). They are also heavy and bulky to travel with.

My recommendation (if this is to be your first gun) is to buy a good rail gun like a Mako Predator Pro. For the species you're talking about, something in a 120 size would probably do nicely. Get one threaded shaft and one flopper with it, and also a slip tip (Cobia and wahoo have really soft flesh and a slip tip will prevent losing fish). Also get it rigged for "break-away" and get yourself a good quality 100' float line and a good float. You can get all that stuff from Mako, or from Neptonics (except the gun).

The great thing about the Mako guns is that they are a heck of a bargain, well made, light weight, easy to travel with, and pretty reliable, IMO. You also don't have to worry about messing up the finish (like you do on $1,000+ wooden guns).

One of my buddies has traveled and shot fish ALL over the world, of ALL species with one single gun - a Rabitech 120 (which is identical to the Mako, but from South Africa). I've used that same gun to shoot yellowtail, grouper, and white seabass. A super versatile, inexpensive, and easy to travel with.

My other recommendation is NOT to buy a used gun unless it is from someone you know or someone you trust (or me). A lot of guys will sell guns because they don't shoot straight, and you don't want to be stuck with a $400 wall hanger that looks cool but won't kill fish.

Finally, you'll probably find a lot more information (and replies) at http://www.spearingforum.com - its a great group of guys (mostly So Cal). I'm SBH2Oman over on that forum
This would be my first speargun.
Budget is somewhat flexible. I'd like to stay in the $300 range, but if I can see the value/benefit for spending a little more I'm willing to.
I had actually been looking at the Makos as well. I'm not 100% clear on what the difference is between a railgun and not a railgun, or whatever the other kind is called.
I'm looking at the Predator Pro on Mako's website right now, looks like to get sharkfin tabs I have to get the open muzzle? Not sure what the pros/cons of open/closed muzzles are.
I'm assuming 2 16mm bands will have more juice behind them than the single 20mm?
Old 04-13-2016, 7:29 PM

Yea. Go open muzzle and shark fins. (I didn't even realize anyone still sells closed muzzles). For $300 your absolute best option is the Mako, no question. Particularly because if you're going to be hunting around rigs you're gonna need extra shafts and other stuff. ($$). You'll probably need cable rigging (not sure if you can get that from Dano and co). Call them and ask if they'll rig with cable instead of mono for anything you'll use extensively around rigs. Or buy extra mono and get good enough at rigging that you can do it on a rocking boat tied off to a rig.
Old 04-13-2016, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Yea. Go open muzzle and shark fins. (I didn't even realize anyone still sells closed muzzles). For $300 your absolute best option is the Mako, no question. Particularly because if you're going to be hunting around rigs you're gonna need extra shafts and other stuff. ($$). You'll probably need cable rigging (not sure if you can get that from Dano and co). Call them and ask if they'll rig with cable instead of mono for anything you'll use extensively around rigs. Or buy extra mono and get good enough at rigging that you can do it on a rocking boat tied off to a rig.
I'll be about 50/50 at a rig or open water. If I'm on my kayak I'll be at a rig, on my buddy's boat we'll be in open water.

What's your opinion on the Predator Pro vs. the ETR?
Old 04-13-2016, 7:56 PM

Btw a "rail gun" is simply a euro style pipe gun with a rail on top that supports the shaft along its full length while it is loaded. In theory it should result in less shaft whip when shooting. As to the ETR, it seems like a neat idea. I run enclosed tracks on my big guns but anything 120 and down I usually prefer an open track for ease of loading. Closed tracks are tricker to load so if you're shooting lots of fish in a session open track guns will save time and frustration. Enclosed tracks guide the shaft, again reducing shaft whip and (in theory) resulting in more accurate shot placement. It's all a trade off. Honestly I wouldn't obsess over it. If you're going to use the gun 100% for open water get the ETR; otherwise get the regular track. That's my opinion.
Old 04-13-2016, 8:03 PM

Thanks. What are your thoughts on #of bands? I'm assuming that can always be changed down the road as well.
Old 04-13-2016, 8:05 PM

Go with multiple smaller bands rather than single big band. I like running 14mm bands and then cutting them a bit short but for your first gun I'd use a longer cut. Just call them and explain your situation; they'll totally dial you in.
Old 04-13-2016, 8:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Seriously if you have never dove before, spearfishing is a lot more than pulling the trigger from the surface.
There is plenty of other gear (let alone skill) that is needed to land a fish or you can kiss your gear goodbye (or worse...)
Spearing at any rig can be very dangerous if you shoot something that wraps up deep below, which will definitely happen.
Getting tangled in shooting line with a hot fish on the other end has killed many many divers.
Please be safe and bring a buddy any time you decided to spearfish.
A 120cm euro/pipe gun will work.
Rob Allen is one of the best/most durable brands out there and is not a knock off like Mako products.
Get yourself a 100' float line, rob allen hard float and a dive flag.
That should get you going
http://freediveshop.com/shop/speargu...apper-railgun/
Dan Wesson Razorback or Silverback
RIA TAC Ultra
Old 04-13-2016, 9:03 PM

Some good advice from Cali74. Rob Allen is definitely another innovator in the market and a legend in the community. Some people swear by his pipe guns. I have not personally liked the ones I've had, but to each his own (I don't like my Aimrite either and a lot of people are RABID fans of those).

As to Mako's being "copies"... That's a hot subject that I think has been objectively disproven and I don't think it's a fair comment to throw out. If you don't like their design, then point out what you don't like. Calling it bad because it's a "copy" doesn't really help the OP in his decision. The fact is that Mako has licensed the Rabitech design for certain areas of the world (like North America). No differently than Riffe licenses their masks, snorkels, knives, and other gear from third parties. (Or Omer, or Sporasub, or any other "name brand"). It's a legitimate business practice.

Im not a fanboy nor am I sponsored by Mako, but when I've bought gear from them over the years for my kids or for friends (or myself) they have always been great to deal with and I've generally been very happy with their price/performance ratio.

There is plenty of mako/anti-mako drama on Spearboard, so I'll suggest the OP continue there if he wants more info on Mako.

The point is that I think so far we agree that a 120 rail gun would be a good choice, whichever one you choose.

Oh, and safety is important - we can agree on that too. You're a breath away from death every dive you take - just keep that in mind no matter how long you do it.

Last edited by sbsyncro; 04-13-2016 at 9:22 PM..
Old 04-13-2016, 9:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Dan the owner of Mako is not a bad guy.
His spearguns are straight knock-off copies of Rabitech.
They look the same because they came from molds that are identical.
Mako has come a long way since it first opened its doors not knocking the company, just not a fan of their spearguns. To each their own...
Dan Wesson Razorback or Silverback
RIA TAC Ultra

Last edited by Cali74; 04-20-2016 at 3:18 AM..
Old 04-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ah... You mean:
"Where can I shoot a big White Seabass?"
"Can I shoot a seabass with my 38" Riffe Metal Tech?"
"Should I use a floatline or reel for hunting seabass?"
Actually I've shot more White Sea bass with my 40" midhandle than all my other guns combined. I stopped posting on spearboard a few years back after it turned into a kids hangout. I got a 50" midhandle teak enclosed track for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:31 AM

Exactly! A couple years ago I shot a 40 pounder in 6' of water with a 60cm pipe gun with a reel while looking for halibut. Gotta love those kinds of "accidents".
Old 04-16-2016, 9:55 AM

I went ahead and ordered a 110cm Predator Pro, 2 bands, open muzzle with sharkfin shaft last night.

I'll still need to get an extra shaft, float line, and thinking about getting a reel as well (now that I think about it I think I have a reel laying in the garage that I bought at one point to try and rig an anchor line for a kayak with).

I'm pumped, can't wait to get out there.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:53 PM

Congrats. Be safe out there and read up on shallow water blackout.
Old 04-16-2016, 3:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Great choice on that gun! Not much in the ocean that can't be taken with that setup. Mako also makes a nice rash guard with a pad on the chest that makes loading the gun a lot less painful. If not I've just stashed a mouse pad in my board short pocket to keep from getting tore up on your chest.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 04-16-2016 at 3:34 PM..
Old 04-16-2016, 4:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Lots of very good advice in this thread. I had a skippy from 2006 to 2013. We took thousands of pounds of lobster and whites from that boat.

I got schooled by some of the best spearfish guys out there. At the minimum buy a riffe. Or get a Klefsted. Or get one from Mory locally. A heavy mass gun won't recoil. The thicker shafts penetrate a kill farther. I lost a world class fish with a skinny shaft and rigid tip. The WSB was easily over 90 pounds. The world record holder was right next to me in the water. I wish he would have taken the shot with his custom riffe and Alexander ice pik slip tip. He would have broken his own record.

Here are a few spearguns.

OP NO NEED to paddle to the oil rigs. Just go the the barn. There are LOTS of world record whites there and a fair amount of yellowtail. The vis us great now until August. Also cottons is excellent for both WSB and yt but the vis doesn't always cooperate. Barn is the most predictable for passable vis.

Kitto/Klefsted - Magnum Speargun - with reel, line, spare alexander rod with Alexander triangle ice tip - $1,000.00

Gun is 55" long, 4 bands not new but workable, ballast wings, spare shaft - shafts are 1/4"

This gun works.........WELL!

Kitto/Klefsted BlUE fin gun - $1,400.00

The gun is 62" long with a 13/32 (0.406") shaft. The shafts are approximately 66" long. This gun was used on one trip to PV and one yellowtail trip to San clemente. Looks new. Rubbers are used but workable.

FTF - OC

Last edited by bubbapug1; 04-16-2016 at 4:54 PM..
Old 04-19-2016, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post

OP NO NEED to paddle to the oil rigs. Just go the the barn. There are LOTS of world record whites there and a fair amount of yellowtail. The vis us great now until August. Also cottons is excellent for both WSB and yt but the vis doesn't always cooperate. Barn is the most predictable for passable vis.
I don't know where the barn is, but I'm not in CA. I'll be spearfishing in the Gulf out of Texas.
Old 04-20-2016, 6:19 PM

Diving in TX is awesome! It's true what they say that everything is bigger in TX.

If you're new this event will be well worth your while and the money.

http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=188152

I've been out with Keith a few times and am going to attend the class if I'm here that weekend. The above pics and below video were all taken off his boat.

Cheers

Some good videos if you've never seen them from a few CA guys that come out every year or so.

Old 04-20-2016, 6:43 PM

Another former central coaster reports! Sounds like Texas is treating you well!
Old 04-20-2016, 7:17 PM

Having fun out here so far.

Last few months have been awful between studying for the professional engineer exam and work though.

Things should calm down in a week or two after my test though and then it's back into the water. Got a new 67" gun I gotta get some blood on! Those wahoo that were out of range on my trip last year should be in a little more danger this year!
Old 04-20-2016, 7:18 PM

Having fun out here so far.

Last few months have been awful between studying for the professional engineer exam and work though.

Things should calm down in a week or two after my test though and then it's back into the water. Got a new 67" gun I gotta get some blood on! Those wahoo that were out of range on my trip last year should be in a little more danger this year!
Old 04-20-2016, 7:20 PM

Wahoo have got to be the most frustrating fish to shoot on the planet. G/L on the exams!
Old 04-20-2016, 8:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Miss you back here on the central coast maidendeth. Not the group of divers we used to have anymore. Good luck with the wahoo. Those fish piss me off.
Old 04-21-2016, 2:18 AM

I like closed muzzles - faster follow up shots - no need to rewrap lines, shove it in, reband, shoot. much eaisier to rig in choppy conditions.
I've used omer for years and still let my buddies borrow the first one I bought 20+ years ago - 130 Excalibur.
if you go with the rob allen or omer, you can upgrade the gun later down the road, if you really enjoy the sport. upgrade ? you ask... yes - change out the head and go to rollers. if you have the 120 size, changing it to rollers would give you the power of a 130+ size gun.
that'd be something down the road, along with changing shafts or bands to better suit your conditions/ style of diving.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Where were those fish taken maiden?? Near an offshore rig?
Old 04-21-2016, 2:46 PM

Between 100 and 120 miles offshore in tx. The wahoo were on a high spot where it came up to ~80 feet deep and the AJs were on a rig platform.

I love tx but the thing I miss most about ca is the diving. Going 100 miles offshore is a blast but I miss hunting rockfish in 10' of water and being able to dive whenever I wanted (and the conditions didn't suck). With the way the offshore season has been in ca the past few years I think I actually am missing out!
Old 04-21-2016, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maidendeth13 View Post
Between 100 and 120 miles offshore in tx. The wahoo were on a high spot where it came up to ~80 feet deep and the AJs were on a rig platform.

I love tx but the thing I miss most about ca is the diving. Going 100 miles offshore is a blast but I miss hunting rockfish in 10' of water and being able to dive whenever I wanted (and the conditions didn't suck). With the way the offshore season has been in ca the past few years I think I actually am missing out!
We also don't have to deal with aggressive pelagic sharks trying to grab every fish!
Old 04-23-2016, 7:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
We also don't have to deal with aggressive pelagic sharks trying to grab every fish!

No all we have is great whites who want to decapitate you.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:12 AM

Going out on a friend's boat tomorrow to fish and dive, hopefully will get something with my new gun. We went out 2 weeks ago and the water clarity was terrible.

I have a question about rigging to the float. Does the shockline go dirrectly from the shaft to the float line? If so, what keeps the front end down where the shockline would normally wrap around it?
Old 05-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Go to the mako website. They have a great tutorial about how to rig your gun. Much easier than explaining it.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:25 AM

I thought I'd looked there but must have missed it. I'll check it out, thanks.
Old 05-05-2016, 6:51 PM

If you're running a breakaway rig to a float line there is no shock line. You typically rig a separate piece of shock cord to the end of the mono that goes to the line release. The float line connects directly to the same spot on the mono.

Alternatively you can buy this from mako (never tried it)
http://www.makospearguns.com/South-A...g-p/msabar.htm

Or this from neptonics (I personally have used and like this setup):
http://www.neptonicsystems.com/break-away.php