Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
Old 11-17-2017, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
I see wasted meat all the time, hunters killing a duck , goose, etc and cutting the breast meat off and throwing the rest in the garbage, side of the road.

people hunting bull frogs and just cutting off the legs and throwing the rest back in the water, lots of wasted meat still on the body.

it's usually white hunters that do this, other people dont waste the meat like that
Them damn whiteys!
Old 11-19-2017, 8:32 AM
Veteran Member

Trophy hunting fulfills one to several of your arbitrary personal requirements for ethical hunting. Who else will give tens of thousands of dollars for wardens who risk their lives to protect wildlife? You? Random rich people?

Using emotion to make decisions rather than reason usually ends badly. Which is why we have PETA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2017, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
I see wasted meat all the time, hunters killing a duck , goose, etc and cutting the breast meat off and throwing the rest in the garbage, side of the road.

people hunting bull frogs and just cutting off the legs and throwing the rest back in the water, lots of wasted meat still on the body.

it's usually white hunters that do this, other people dont waste the meat like that
Your sjw racism is showing
Old 11-19-2017, 11:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Always cracks me up when people invent their own list of moral/ethical/acceptable reasons for killing, then use it to declare that everyone else is immoral/unethical/unacceptable.

I think that people who kill spiders should eat them. I also think that mountain lions should be prosecuted for any animal they kill, particularly if they don't eat all the meat. I also think that wolves should pay taxes and buy tags if they are going to eat elk in Yellowstone so we can all fairly compete for the kill. How about the evolution and survival of the fittest? Just a scientific theory, or unpleasant reality?

See how it works?
Old 11-19-2017, 11:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^^^ Appropriate satire. I do not hunt for trophies and eat all that I shoot except for varmints both 2 and 4 legged species.
Old 11-19-2017, 1:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

People have their reasons to hunt. I keep hearing bison hunting is worth it because of the meat and there is a market for every part of the animal. I would hunt it for the meat for it is quite delicious. Then there’s a very lucrative market for endangered big cats in Asia and also in the US due to rich-med class Asian Americans.

Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 11-19-2017, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post
"This message is hidden because "whashisface" is on your ignore list."
Yup. Troll just looking to troll some more.
Old 11-19-2017, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
People have their reasons to hunt. I keep hearing bison hunting is worth it because of the meat and there is a market for every part of the animal. I would hunt it for the meat for it is quite delicious. Then there’s a very lucrative market for endangered big cats in Asia and also in the US due to rich-med class Asian Americans.

That diagram is false, no mention of tiger penis as an afrodisiac

Old 11-19-2017, 8:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
The reason they are not currently extinct is simple. Rich guys will pay big bucks to hunt specific, carefully chosen specimens chosen to ensure genetic diversity and maximum breeding. The money from these legal hunts goes DIRECTLY to hire game wardens who protect the viable breeding stock left over after the hunt. Well over 90% of the money that hires these wardens comes from hunters. Not photographers. Not Leo DiCaprio. Trophy hunters.

Stop trophy hunting, and you ENSURE that lions, rhinos, elephants are ALL EXTINCT in the wild inside a few years.

Period.

Needs to be said again.

Last edited by Josh3239; 11-19-2017 at 8:05 PM..
Old 11-19-2017, 8:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Let me get this straight.

You and some others believe that trophy hunting isn't right?

Good for you. Then don't trophy hunt.

Also, don't tell other people what they can and cannot do because you don't believe in it. That's when the cart starts rolling downhill, backward and begins running over stuff you do agree with.

Proper, managed trophy hunting benefits a lot of folks and keeps some species from becoming extinct.

It's poaching that is the problem IMHO. Folks who don't care about management and just want to kill something.

So please go preach to some SJW snowflakes who agree with you.

JMHO

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 11-20-2017, 9:14 AM
Banned

Instead of tiger penis soup, just let him teabag his nuts/jiblets into a pot of warm water. A2
Old 11-20-2017, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBabbett View Post
1. that is not eaten, providing valuable leather, clothing, boots or shoes or otherwise benefiting the health of mankind in any way
2. for trophy
3. for profit UNLESS the killed animal for commerce fulfills a human need as meat: farmers and ranchers have to make a living
4. to feel like a he-man
5. that is NOT a pest or a varmint
6. that is not a danger or threat to man or his domestic animals
7. that is not an invasive species

and/or

8. unless the animal otherwise needs to be put down humanely for serious injury, pain or illness

I say that as an American gun owner, hunter and even as a Republican voter. I hope Donald Trump does not lift any ban for hunting elephants and rhinos for ivory.
Mark Levin, an American gun owner and hunter himself, is talking about this on radio right now and I agree with this man on this issue. It was on my mind to share here.

There is no reason to kill a giraffe, lion or tiger for sport.
What about the spider walking across your living room floor? The ants that come in your home during summer looking for water?
Old 11-20-2017, 9:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Enjoy hunting while you can. When the USA hits 900 million people by 2100 you will be hard pressed to find a place to do it or any animals left to harvest.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:17 AM

I just ask myself, “does someone else shooting an elephant cause me tangible harm?” and then go back to minding my own business.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 AM

What makes an elephant more majestic than a cow? Are we protecting animals on the basis of attractiveness? A lion is looks cooler in your opinion than a pig so it gets to live? The "Majesty" of an animal should have no bearing on the discussion.

You can have your opinions regarding wastefulness but honestly a bear couldn't possibly care less whether you plan to eat it or hang it on the wall. Dead is dead. If you kill a cow for a leather sofa, or you kill a lion for a wall hanging I'm not seeing much of an ethical difference. Especially if you donate the meat as is typical in my understanding of trophy hunts.
Old 11-20-2017, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Educate myself? Well, I heard it from a conservative radio talk show host, Mark Levin. It was not some Bambi-huggin' liberal that I heard it from.

He hated that a magnificent animal as the elephant was hunted for pure sport or ivory profit and that a tiger was killed as a mere sex enhancer.

Perhaps, you should call up Mark Levin in his hidden underground bunker of brick and steel and explain that logic to him. A few magnificent animals are killed legally to ironically save the species as a whole from dying out. I personally have no desire for elephant or tiger meat.
Left or right, you shouldn't trust any media source without doing your own basic research.
The goal of media is to make money for their shareholders.
Truth is a secondary concern at best.
Media makes money by selling you, the audience member, along with your faith in them, to advertisers.
Conservative shows target a conservative audience demographic.
You are the commodity being sold to the sponsors.
No conspiracy.
That's just how it works.
As for hunting big game, it does have benefits.
Besides raising lots of money for animal conservation, the harvested meat and animal byproducts go to local communities, which use everything.
Nothing is wasted.
Old 11-20-2017, 6:54 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
People have their reasons to hunt. I keep hearing bison hunting is worth it because of the meat and there is a market for every part of the animal. I would hunt it for the meat for it is quite delicious.
I haven't eaten beef, except for in restaurants, for years. I shoot a bison in the face every spring and live off of the massive amount of VERY tasty and VERY healthy meat that I get from it. I just had bison heart dinner 2 hours ago, and make a fantastic bison tongue soup in the spring.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Wrong. Demonstrably WRONG.

THERE IS A REASON TO TROPHY HUNT.

Rich guys will pay big bucks to hunt specific, carefully chosen specimens chosen to ensure genetic diversity and maximum breeding. The money from these legal hunts goes DIRECTLY to hire game wardens who protect the viable breeding stock left over after the hunt. Well over 90% of the money that hires these wardens comes from hunters. Not photographers. Not Leo DiCaprio. Trophy hunters.

Stop trophy hunting, and you ENSURE that lions, rhinos, elephants are ALL EXTINCT in the wild inside a few years.

Period.
These links below provide further insight and detail about exactly what is being said above. To save a species it must be valued. To be valued, it must be legally hunted by the wealthy at high prices. And it has to be a cool critter. Fortunately, most critters are cool enough to be hunted.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...val/877314001/

https://www.outdoorlife.com/the-legacy-of-jim-shockey

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4bofso
Old 11-21-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Now anyone sport poaching endangered species should be treated just as if they were killing people. They are robbing the earth of millions of years of heritage that is not for them to take. Morally I would have no issue of shoot on site those SOBs to protect the animals.
Make it the ‘Big 6’. Maybe allow the Stephen Paddocks and Devin Kelleys of the world let off some steam. I’d throw in towards a sponsorship.
I know I'm gonna get got, but I'm going to get mine more than I get got though.
-Marshawn Lynch
Old 11-21-2017, 2:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
1. that is not eaten, providing valuable leather, clothing, boots or shoes or otherwise benefiting the health of mankind in any way
2. for trophy
3. for profit UNLESS the killed animal for commerce fulfills a human need as meat: farmers and ranchers have to make a living
4. to feel like a he-man

and/or

8. unless the animal otherwise needs to be put down humanely for serious injury, pain or illness

I say that as an American gun owner, hunter and even as a Republican voter. I hope Donald Trump does not lift any ban for hunting elephants and rhinos for ivory.
Mark Levin, an American gun owner and hunter himself, is talking about this on radio right now and I agree with this man on this issue. It was on my mind to share here.

Poachers do exactly what you dislike. The tribes people are given the meat to eat . Be informed please.
Old 11-21-2017, 2:49 PM

http://www.conservationmagazine.org/...-conservation/
Old 11-21-2017, 2:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15robert View Post
My thoughts on hunting are if you kill it you better eat it or use it in a useful way such as the skin,fur to make something useful.

I dont really agree with killing an exotic animal just to hire a guide take a shot and go home and wait for you new all ornament.

I understand killing predator animals destroying your livestock or a danger to you or others and definitely fine with that too
Locals eat them. Nothing is wasted.
Old 11-22-2017, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You realize your point number ONE supports trophy hunting for the reasons you stated.

All of the elephants I have shot:

1. The meat went to the locals to be eaten.
  2. I kept the leather, got it treated locally (stimulating local economy at $3 sq. feet) I have belts, wallets, boots made of skin and hand them out as gifts.
  3. Parts of the trophy fees went to conservation efforts and locals (last one bought a water pump)
  4. Not to mention employing a PH, PH assistant, game scout, cook, assistant cook, skinners and trackers at 10-15 days at a time. The tips alone were over a years salary in the local market.
Old 11-26-2017, 9:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
2. for trophy
4. to feel like a he-man

and/or

Trump can't institute or remove a moratorium on hunting elephants, rhinos, lions, etc.
What's on the table is the importation of trophies/souvenirs from legal hunts as regulated by the respective countries they are hunted in.

That you think there's any sort of ban on hunting these animals shows me all I need to know about your knowledge on the subject. But maybe you'd rather they be poached into extinction for their ivory, horn, etc. than have much greater value as game animals.

FTR, rhino horn isn't ivory either. It's really akin to your fingernails.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 11-27-2017 at 4:00 PM..
Old 11-27-2017, 3:07 PM

Perhaps the prevalence of “I don’t want to shoot the pretty animal” thoughts is related to the overall decline of America....

*flame suit on*

Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Wrong. Demonstrably WRONG.

THERE IS A REASON TO TROPHY HUNT.

And I don't mean that someone wants to, and it's legal, so it's not up to you what anyone else does within these parameters. Though that IS a reason. Your declaration that there is no reason is as meaningful as someone who tells me there is no reason to own and AR rifle, a fast car, or a tailored suit.

No, I didn't mean any of that. I meant you should educate yourself before speaking. The trophy animals, all of them, rhinos, elephants, lion, ALL of them are targets of poachers so Chinese businessmen can get dick pills.

The reason they are not currently extinct is simple. Rich guys will pay big bucks to hunt specific, carefully chosen specimens chosen to ensure genetic diversity and maximum breeding. The money from these legal hunts goes DIRECTLY to hire game wardens who protect the viable breeding stock left over after the hunt. Well over 90% of the money that hires these wardens comes from hunters. Not photographers. Not Leo DiCaprio. Trophy hunters.

Period.
I'm just quoting this because it deserves to be read again!

For the OP: It's the difference between thinking with your brain, or thinking with your emotions. It's the same goofball logic that says, "AR 15s are ugly, they should be banned." Even though they are functionally the same as any other semi automatic fire arm. They're just not cute....
Front Sight DG
CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, CA & AZ
Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack
Old 11-28-2017, 1:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
2. for trophy
4. to feel like a he-man

and/or

So, you're against all the people who KILL insects and other animals by hitting them with their cars? I mean, think of all the squirrels and bugs that are needlessly killed just so someone can get from point A to point B faster than walking. Yes, killing a bug via a windshield is far more idiotic than trophy hunting is. At least hunters admit that they are killing. All the idiotic drivers who are against trophy hunting have problems trying to justify that they needlessly take thousands of innocent lives every year without any part of the critter going to good use.

There is no reason to kill insects just to get somewhere fast. You can walk instead of driving! Sorry, you can't justify "having to drive" anywhere.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 11-28-2017, 3:03 PM

Because It's legal and some people enjoy doing it. SCI provides a huge influx of cash to Africa.
Old 11-28-2017, 4:04 PM

i cant see a reason that we cant bring back legally taken animals back to this country /state. i mean you go to africa and kill whatever according to the laws of that country then you cant bring it home????same as going to az and killin a lion and you cant bring it to california???? but i also think california should let us catch and sell wild hogs legally like in tx etc. i hunt/kill animals for one reason...i enjoy it. can large scale scorch the earth for profit poaching ruin the hunting for everyone else and also kill off species? yes, so i do have limits,lol. what alot dont understand is peta,hsus, etc see no difference between trophy huntin and true live or die subsistance huntin. to them its all bad and needs to be banned. throw in any animal use from ranching to dog fighting and they feel the same about it, all bad. i never forced a person to go hunting with me or watch a dog fight or a cockfight.......if you dont like it dont do it. but if im not harming you then dont stop me from doin such things.
Old 11-28-2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
So you're a vegan. Got it. Do you also vape, and do crossfit?
What's wrong with Crossfit?

Old 11-28-2017, 4:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st Airborne View Post
What's wrong with Crossfit?

You're HOT. Keep up the crossfit, your body is slammin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 11-28-2017, 7:03 PM

All cats should be killed.
Old 11-29-2017, 1:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguns44 View Post
All cats should be killed.
If you Bubba a milsurp, God kills a kitten. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 11-29-2017, 6:14 AM

Quote:
You're HOT. Keep up the crossfit, your body is slammin.
Well thanks...I don't crossfit myself, but I appreciate the compliment.
Old 11-29-2017, 3:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
Then don't. It's as simple as that.
Yep.

Don't force your morals on others.

This same mentality is the one anti-gunners use. I don't want you to, so you can't.

Pfffft.
Old 11-29-2017, 4:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx20mm View Post
Because It's legal and some people enjoy doing it. SCI provides a huge influx of cash to Africa.
Kewl trophy room.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 11-30-2017, 7:23 AM

On the one hand I argee with you, on the other hand hunting is hunting...
Old 11-30-2017, 2:02 PM

Quote:
2. for trophy
4. to feel like a he-man

and/or

Why would you deny a bear the most plentiful and growing source of meat on the planet (homo sapien)? Seems to me there's a lot more of us than deer. Resources not used are wasted. I'm half joking... But only half...

I'm not a trophy hunter. But the moment you limit one form of hunting, it all goes away pretty soon. And with it the funding for conservation. Antihunters love animals but not enough to pony up for them. Their dogs are going to get prescription pain pills long before they pay for game wardens or habitat protection. Lovers of wildlife my ***! They're mostly just talkers. Hunters back up what they believe with action and cold hard cash. And we do it in droves.

Forget about what people say. Reasons are mostly just rationalizing and story telling of our emotional choices. Look at people's actions. I don't like a trophy hunter's reasons for killing. I think mine are way more ethical and moral. But that's all just BS anyway. Who's paying to help elephants, rhinos, etc.? Certainly not me and all my moralizing BS.

Seems to me that your reasons to permit killing all boil down to how it benefits us humans in some way. Thinking we're the center of the world is what got us into this mess of species extermination in the first place. We're going to have to work on that list of yours if we want to be of any real help.
Old 12-13-2017, 8:50 PM

So my deer tag was an "either sex" tag. I passed up MANY basket racks and does this year because I was looking for something bigger ("trophy" in your words). I ended up eating my tag. Are you mad because I didn't kill something smaller or a doe just cause I could? Makes no sense.