Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 10-28-2016, 8:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Some questions about first Turkish Mauser

Don't know much about these but seller made me an offer I couldn't refuse so now this one is mine.

I believe it is an 1893 which if I'm not mistaken would mean originally chambered in 7.65x53 and then converted to 8mm in the 30's. Appears to be matching numbers on receiver, barrel and sight base.

So one question that I haven't been able to turn up, is there a way to date the receiver? I've read the 1893's were built in 1895 or 1896 but wondering if there is a way to tell for sure.

Another question is regarding the screw on the bolt release. The head of the screw is buggered up a bit and there is a large "point" coming through the bottom. Most of the pics I've seen of 1893's either don't have the point or the angle is such that I can't see it so wondering if this is "correct" or if Bubba was at play.

It is a neat rifle in need of some serious cleaning. There are some spots of rust beneath the wood line that I'm working on. Luckily the most of the old dried up cosmoline is coming off pretty easy but this one is going to take a while.

Last edited by huntingsocal; 10-28-2016 at 8:27 PM..
Old 10-28-2016, 8:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Last edited by huntingsocal; 10-28-2016 at 8:28 PM..
Old 10-28-2016, 8:24 PM

Beautiful piece! I'm looking for a Turk Mauser myself!
Old 10-28-2016, 9:33 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingsocal View Post

So one question that I haven't been able to turn up, is there a way to date the receiver? I've read the 1893's were built in 1895 or 1896 but wondering if there is a way to tell for sure.
This picture shows the Arabic year 1313 at the forward left side of the receiver

which converts to approximately 1895.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingsocal View Post
Another question is regarding the screw on the bolt release. The head of the screw is buggered up a bit and there is a large "point" coming through the bottom. Most of the pics I've seen of 1893's either don't have the point or the angle is such that I can't see it so wondering if this is "correct" or if Bubba was at play.
The screw is OK.

I have other Mausers that have the same type of pointed screw.
Old 10-29-2016, 4:18 AM

That looks like a fun project. Very fun.

FrankMo
Old 10-29-2016, 7:57 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Turk Mausers are great. They must have made a gazillion of them because they are usually very affordable. I was lucky to find a bolt mm but otherwise pristine specimen a ways back. Sorry I can't help with the OP's question but good pick up!
Old 10-29-2016, 9:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks Milsurp that answers my questions. That pointy screw sticking out had me wondering

This one is cleaning up nicely. Bore is frosty but looking better and the rust under the wood isn't as bad as it looked once I got the gunk out of the way
Old 10-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I overlooked the second part. That pointed screw is correct and anchors into a hole in the sidewall of the stock.
Old 10-29-2016, 7:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Congrats on your Turk Mauser. That dried up cosmoline can be a pain to get off, especially if is cementing components together.

That bolt stop screw looks exactly like the ones on a P14 or M1917.
Old 10-29-2016, 9:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks like one of the small shank Turks, brings back memories! I think there is still some sandy cosmoline stuck to my workbench from my first Turks. They may look like hell, but they always were a blast, and were a little smoother than the Mosins.

Why oh why didn't I buy a storage unit full of those back in the day (we honestly thought they would be $50 forever).
Old 11-04-2016, 11:07 PM

All of the model 1893 Turkish Mauser's were made in Germany in the year 1893. They were originally chambered for the 7.65 x 53 Mauser (Belgian Mauser). Dates stamped on the receiver could be inspection dates, issue dates, or arsenal refit dates. The Turks standardized on the 8x57 round in the mid 1930's and had the model 1893's converted to this cartridge. (They also converted the model large ring 1903 Turks to 8x57) A cut-out was made in the forward receiver ring so that the longer 8x57 cartridge would load with a stripper clip. The year of the conversion was stamped into the top of the receiver ring. All of the 1893's that were converted were then case hardened a second time.
Because the Turks adopted the M38 large ring (small thread) in 1938, many of the re-arsenaled 1893's were put into storage. It isn't uncommon to find a 1893 Turkish with a like new bore, but many were also used in hard and rough conditions. As small ring go they are a good choice, especially since the receivers were case hardened twice.