Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 02-01-2014, 8:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Default The drought

Check out how low the lakes are.
http://www.jewsnews.co.il/2014/01/28...on-california/
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 02-01-2014, 8:37 AM

if it keeps up. in 50 years cali will be desert
Old 02-01-2014, 8:39 AM
Veteran Member

You mean revert back to its natural topography. It always was a desert.
Old 02-01-2014, 4:57 PM

WOW!!!

That's insane!!!
"Use the shiny toys when you have them, but never, ever forget how to do it by hand." --- SGT. David Sillick A. Co. 4-64 AR, 3ID

Everything is METTT-C
Old 02-01-2014, 5:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Soon the water faucet from Nor cal to So cal will be turned off if we don't get something soon. Let nature takes its own course.
Old 02-01-2014, 5:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What there is a drought in California???

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 02-01-2014, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMeyer View Post
Not the Owens valley or much of Round valley before 1913 or there abouts when L.A. DWP did their deeds to the local ranchers and land owners. Not at all!
Old 02-01-2014, 6:28 PM

We still got feb., March, and April. Don't sweat it.
Old 02-01-2014, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

Tt, hope you're right. We could sure use it.
Old 02-01-2014, 6:36 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I think we are screwed for water [snowpack/reservoirs]. Im just hoping for some late rains for feed and antler growth and forage/ cover for decent bird hatches, etc, etc. A lot of money being spent on feed right now.
Old 02-01-2014, 6:43 PM

So why are the local lakes around here being drained of water all year then ???????????? Is there any logic to that ? Can some one from the water CO chime in ?
Old 02-01-2014, 7:50 PM
Calguns Addict

I heard a mining shaft is viewable at don Pedro lake. It would be cool to see the old town wasn't it called Jacksonville ?
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 02-05-2014, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelemup View Post
So why are the local lakes around here being drained of water all year then ???????????? Is there any logic to that ? Can some one from the water CO chime in ?
The reservoirs are water storage, and communities also rely on them for hydroelectric power generation.
Old 02-05-2014, 8:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I still remember the mid 90's being worse?
Old 02-05-2014, 10:28 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Soon the water faucet from Nor cal to So cal will be turned off if we don't get something soon. Let nature takes its own course.
It would be nice, that water faucet brought Lakes Shasta and Oroville down to less than 20% capacity a few years ago when there was no drought.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelemup View Post
This isn't all places but in some locations minimum flows must be maintained per the Endangered species act for some species of fish.

Now that "endangered sucker" on the klamath river that apparently they tried to exterminate and the Indians didn't give a rats *** about in the 70's but is now sacred doesn't count imo. That sucker is a political football for water rights but this is of course my opinion only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 02-05-2014, 2:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
I still remember the mid 90's being worse?
It was.

I used to do a lot of house boating on the major lakes in late summer. During the last year of that (6 year?) drought, Lake Oroville was -200' or so and old RR beds and tunnels where above water. Other lake I went to had old town structures visible as well as other interesting things.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 02-05-2014, 6:02 PM
Calguns Addict

The rivers still have to run there is fish in them and we need to keep some water in the delta to help flush the raw sewage they dump in it out to the ocean.
Quote:
ProShooter's
Old 02-05-2014, 6:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
maybe they will be forces to build Desal plants like we should have decades ago.

I cant imagine what this drought will do for the deer herd that is in pretty bad shape already.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-05-2014, 7:13 PM
Veteran Member

i know where one of the worlds largest reverse osmosis desalinization plants is.
it's not being used so maybe we could move it. it cost us $250,000,000 to build.

http://www.usbr.gov/lc/yuma/
Old 02-05-2014, 7:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Meanwhile in AZ they are farming 1000's of acres of desert...do you know how much water it takes to make a head of lettuce grow in the desert?
Old 02-05-2014, 7:35 PM

It will be very difficult to avoid a drought this year in San Francisco. February has to be very wet in order for San Francisco to not call a drought. Next snow pack measurement is early March. At that time they will decide whether or not to recommend to the SFPUC to call for water rationing and start the notification for public hearing. This is the worse drought on record for California. Some water agencies have already called for water rationing and increased water rates to encourage everyone to conserve water. CONSERVE!
Old 02-05-2014, 9:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Meanwhile in AZ they are farming 1000's of acres of desert...do you know how much water it takes to make a head of lettuce grow in the desert?
no more than anywhere else. food good.

they also sell a lot of their water to california.

the purpose of that plant was to take drain water (not everyone will know what that is. when a field is irrigated the water seeps though the soil and is collected in a leach line sort of deal and is then drained off. it picks up so much salt it's unusable for much) water in , water out.
this desalted drain water was intended for mexico but in the time it took to build the plant the loose drain water formed a lake in mexico out of the hole in the desert where the brine was set to go. the mexicans thought it was the effing everglades and don't want the brine going there now.

personally i'd like to see the plant picked up and dropped in the new river at calexico so that we don't have the sewage, heavy metals and toxic process plant waste of over a million people flowing north to the salton sea.

on a lighter note ; the forecast here shows rain 4 out of the next 5 days. yeah rain.
Old 02-05-2014, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Exactly.....
Old 02-13-2014, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSARSx View Post
if it keeps up. in 50 years cali will be desert
Quote:
This. The only reason people can live here is because the LADWP stole water from the Owens Valley.
Old 02-13-2014, 4:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
About 9-12".
Old 02-13-2014, 5:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
This. The only reason people can live here is because the LADWP stole water from the Owens Valley.
Let's set the record straight. Maholland was a shrewd shark backed by a bunch of corrupt city officials, he most certainly played on the pocket strings of the land owners of Owens valley and out smarted them of the water rights, just like the Oil tycoons did. But to call it stealing, the land owners sold their rights fir pennies on the dollar, sure some were strong armed( that was the times) but the majority gave it away for the instant cash.
Now Los Angeles used to be able to be supported by the Owen valley aquaduct back in the 30's but as the city became a Mecca it wasn't enough. So Cal gets water from everywhere,still mainly from the Colorado river and artesian wells.

The reality is that there are 100X more people in California than there were in the 60's and those people consume resources. Sure water is renewable, but in a temperate cyclic condition that we are in, that resource may not be renewable soon enough.
It's not like we are getting the water for free. I have conserved as much as I can. I have NO lawn, just dirt and spare hardy weeds. I keep my showrs and families showers to a minimum and yet my water bill has tripled in the last two years.
So quit blaming people and face the fact that it's cyclic, it probably won't revert back in your child's children's lifetime.
Old 02-13-2014, 8:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Let's set the record straight. Maholland was a shrewd shark backed by a bunch of corrupt city officials, he most certainly played on the pocket strings of the land owners of Owens valley and out smarted them of the water rights.............
Well - that and he had friends in high places. Ever wonder why the high desert is a National Forest? Mulholland had influence at the cabinet level - the National Forest was created so ranchers and farmers could not dam the east slope drainage down to the Owens River, which he controlled (by dint of the sharp dealing methods you mentioned).

There is an excellent book on the subject - The Story of Inyo, written by W.A. Chalfant that details the shenanigans that Mulholland et al employed to divert Owens Valley water to the LA Basin in order to fuel his dream and quest for money and power.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 02-13-2014, 10:07 AM

It's on YouTube.....it must be true!

WTB: Dan Wesson ECO .45; PM me