Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-12-2014, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless The Mauser View Post
My interview was 6/5 and today I got the email saying I was approved for livescan. According to their website I wouldn't get that email unless my permit was approved so it looks like I'm in good shape!
It was about 5 weeks after livescan when I received the email to come up to the Sheriff's dept to pick up my permit.
Old 06-12-2014, 7:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Exciting times. I can imagine it is a long 4 to 6 week wait.
2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)
Old 06-13-2014, 8:22 PM

Default Placer

Long time lurker, but I just scheduled my appointment for July 1st and have my class on June 25th. On a whim I decided to check appointment availability and I'm guessing they had a cancelation. I'm planning on using my status as a security guard at a major retailer as my gc. From my understanding I need to carefully word it. In performing my duties I've apprehended many shoplifters and caused many people to lose their jobs over misconduct. Any suggestions or things to not say are welcome. I've only had two tickets in my life...one for going 10 over when I was 18 and one fix it for registration. I've heard placer weighs tickets heavy but I think I'll be ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by kriele; 06-13-2014 at 9:28 PM..
Old 06-14-2014, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriele View Post
Long time lurker, but I just scheduled my appointment for July 1st and have my class on June 25th. On a whim I decided to check appointment availability and I'm guessing they had a cancelation. I'm planning on using my status as a security guard at a major retailer as my gc. From my understanding I need to carefully word it. In performing my duties I've apprehended many shoplifters and caused many people to lose their jobs over misconduct. Any suggestions or things to not say are welcome. I've only had two tickets in my life...one for going 10 over when I was 18 and one fix it for registration. I've heard placer weighs tickets heavy but I think I'll be ok.

Welcome. If you are using work as GC, you may be asked to provide some sort of "OK" from them and/or a letter from your company. Not sure where I read that but I will look for it.
Old 06-14-2014, 8:47 AM

Yes , in placers online info they state if your cause is based on your work you need to have your boss state they think a ccw is warranted based on my duties on company letterhead. I think I can make that happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Calguns Addict

That is great. When you do your interview, they will read through your statement and make the necessary adjustments to streamline it or make it better. They are all very nice and extremely helpful. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2014, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Setter View Post
Welcome. If you are using work as GC, you may be asked to provide some sort of "OK" from them and/or a letter from your company. Not sure where I read that but I will look for it.
I'm pretty sure this is geared more if you are using work as your GC as in the line of your duties... Which not only would require your work to sign off on, but it could also limit your permit to be 'during work'... However, it sounds more like kriele is using the fact that his work, makes his personal life a risk, which would not need to have work approval. Just a well written paragraph on common sense. You're busting gang bangers and thugs all day long, and it wouldn't be difficult for one to track you down and try to harm you or your family, at any time of the day or night. Consequently, this risk would outlast your employment, as long as you live in the general vicinity of your work. Good luck, but I would think this would be a very solid GC.
Old 06-14-2014, 6:50 PM

I appreciate the responses. I was planning on wording my GC in the way that Mellon was thinking, not for carry at work but because of my job I have the chance of encountering bitter or unsavory people who's lives I have negatively impacted out in public.

Old 06-14-2014, 6:51 PM

Quote:
That is great. When you do your interview, they will read through your statement and make the necessary adjustments to streamline it or make it better. They are all very nice and extremely helpful. Good luck.

Do you mean once I get in there they will help me make it stronger before I submit it? Sounds pretty great.

Old 06-14-2014, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Do you mean once I get in there they will help me make it stronger before I submit it? Sounds pretty great.

Yes. The interviewer will go through your application, match information that they have in their files from DOJ, and look through your GC. They are quite good about everything.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm planning on using my status as a security guard at a major retailer as my gc.
I think the security guard aspect opens several cans of worms for the Sheriff. No way you can avoid it because you will have to list your occupation anyhow, but if you have any other GC I'd leave Security Guard out of the equation as much as possible. At minimum I'd bet you'll be restricted as a special condition to the permit, from carrying while on the job. Good luck & please let us know how it works out...
Old 06-15-2014, 3:19 PM

I was wondering if anyone was going to raise that concern. Although our employee handbook specifically states that possession or use of any firearms is prohibited except as permitted by law, so I could get around that with my bosses blessing, I do not plan on carrying while I'm working. I'm going to work with my instructor on crafting another good cause statement as long as it's just a strong. I will fill you in with how it goes either way.

Old 06-24-2014, 2:13 PM
CGSSA Associate

Going to pick up my CCW and make final payment tomorrow. Which is an impressive turn around based on the horror stories I had come to believe.

Interview on 05/22
DOJ Live Scan on 06/05, emailed to PCSO same day
CCW complete and ready to pickup 06/24
Old 06-24-2014, 6:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhyn View Post
Going to pick up my CCW and make final payment tomorrow. Which is an impressive turn around based on the horror stories I had come to believe.

Interview on 05/22
Wow. That is fast. CONGRATS.
Old 06-27-2014, 7:42 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Wow. That is fast. CONGRATS.
Thanks! I got it before my Utah permit that I had mailed off like 2 weeks before my placer sheriff interview. Finally got the Utah permit yesterday. If I was a betting man, I would have bet on the Utah to come in first.
Old 06-27-2014, 2:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhyn View Post

Interview on 05/22
Congrats!
Old 07-12-2014, 9:53 AM

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone was going to raise that concern. Although our employee handbook specifically states that possession or use of any firearms is prohibited except as permitted by law, so I could get around that with my bosses blessing, I do not plan on carrying while I'm working. I'm going to work with my instructor on crafting another good cause statement as long as it's just a strong. I will fill you in with how it goes either way.

Just a follow up, I had my interview on the 1st and received my "Go get your live scan" email in less than 24 hours. I did throw in my GC that I would not be carrying at work, and my investigator was very confident in my prepared statement, but proceeded to help me strengthen my GC by reminding me of how much I carry large amounts of cash because I shop craigs list a lot and often make opportunity buys in unfamiliar places.

Very impressed with PCSO and will let you guys know when Im told to come get my permit so we have another timeline to gauge.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Calguns Addict

^^ Congrats. That is fantastic news.
Old 07-24-2014, 1:11 PM

This could be me being paranoid and impatient but im slightly concerned that when I call the DOJ to check on my live scan, it says there is still no record of it. I completed my live scan on 7-1. My father completed his 6-23 and his DOJ and FBI were completed 6-25 according to the automated system.
Old 07-24-2014, 3:34 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
This could be me being paranoid and impatient but im slightly concerned that when I call the DOJ to check on my live scan, it says there is still no record of it.
Where did you get your live scan done?
Old 07-24-2014, 6:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This could be me being paranoid and impatient but im slightly concerned that when I call the DOJ to check on my live scan, it says there is still no record of it. I completed my live scan on 7-1. My father completed his 6-23 and his DOJ and FBI were completed 6-25 according to the automated system.
Be patient. They are severely backed up.
Old 07-24-2014, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky.Hawk View Post
Where did you get your live scan done?
The mail 'n more next to bel air on 49. Same place my father did. If its a matter of being patient I will be but if there is a chance they screwed up id have no idea what is a reasonable amount of time to wait.
Old 07-24-2014, 8:13 PM
Calguns Addict

2 to almost 4 weeks seems normal.
Old 07-25-2014, 8:01 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't worry yet... [from another thread]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasD View Post
I just picked up my permit today. Timeline for reference:

Initial Interview: 8/27
Interview Confirmation email: 9/9 (13 days later)
Live Scan: 9/27
Live Scan Confirmation email: 11/21 (55 days later)
Pick-up: 11/25 (4 days later)

3 months from beginning to end.
And my experience...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellonPopper View Post
Took class, and called to get interview appointment - May 19th
First available appointment, Sept 9th -110 days
Notice to get livescan, Oct 30th - 51 days
Livescan: 11/4 - 5 days
Notice of approval: 12/30 - 56 days

So, not including the wait to get my interview, 112 days. That's basically three and a half months from interview to permit. That's a long time if you ask me... If you count the wait to get the interview, you're looking at about seven months from the time you think you want to get a CCW permit to issue... YMMV
Old 07-25-2014, 2:21 PM

Yea. I know some people have waited a long time for the FBI check but all the searching I had done said that the doj should be pretty quick. Just making sure I didn't need to go talk to the place I did my scan at.

Old 07-25-2014, 4:21 PM

So I called the live scan location and turns out I just couldn't read her hand writing...doj and FBI were completed the day I was fingerprinted....

Old 07-26-2014, 9:50 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The mail 'n more next to bel air on 49. Same place my father did.
Was this location on the list that PCSO provided to you as a Livescan location when they emailed you the livescan form? 7 months ago, the only places they would allow you to do the livescan for CCW was Auburn PD, Rocklin PD, Roseville PD, or PCSO.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Was this location on the list that PCSO provided to you as a Livescan location when they emailed you the livescan form? 7 months ago, the only places they would allow you to do the livescan for CCW was Auburn PD, Rocklin PD, Roseville PD, or PCSO.
Are you sure about this? When I did mine, they were pretty clear you could go anywhere, they just had to complete the form... It's all tied to the number PCSO gives you.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:11 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellonPopper View Post
Are you sure about this? When I did mine, they were pretty clear you could go anywhere, they just had to complete the form... It's all tied to the number PCSO gives you.
It seemed pretty cut and dry to me when I received this email: "Listed below are the locations you may go" and then they list 5 places. Form is titled "LIVESCAN INSTRUCTIONS- 10-10-2013.pdf" First page is instructions, second page is list of livescan places, third page is livescan form - and no more pages.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
It seemed pretty cut and dry to me when I received this email: "Listed below are the locations you may go" and then they list 5 places. Form is titled "LIVESCAN INSTRUCTIONS- 10-10-2013.pdf" First page is instructions, second page is list of livescan places, third page is livescan form - and no more pages.

I received the same email. My investigator told me that I could go anywhere, and since it's a small business I opted to give them my money.

Old 07-27-2014, 6:43 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I received the same email. My investigator told me that I could go anywhere, and since it's a small business I opted to give them my money.
I elected to follow the instructions, I didn't want there to be any question that A) I could do so, and B) that I was in fact the person who showed up for the livescan and not some stand in. They are pretty big on making sure you are who you say you are at a LE agency, whereas the local burger hut with a livescan machine in back - perhaps not so much. To each his own...
Old 08-11-2014, 12:03 PM

Hi folks,

Just wanted to share my experience...

6/21: CCW course completed. (Best Handgun Training in Lincoln)

After the course, I made an online appointment for PCSO which initially assigned me a date of 10/23. A week later, I found an open spot for 7/10 (I have ways... ), and therefore changed it.

7/10: Appointment at PCSO with David Sens. He was great to work with. I had a couple fairly strong statements of just cause (which I initially ran by my CCW instructor, who also thought they were valid), and David agreed. At the conclusion of the interview, he recommended that I get my Live Scan done as soon as possible. I replied that I would have no problem doing so, as long as he was confident that my application would be approved. He said that he would be highly surprised if it wasn't approved. That was a good vote of confidence.

7/11: Completed Live Scan at Roseville PD; emailed to PCSO.

8/11: Just received email confirmation that my CCW is ready for pickup. Just called and made an appointment to pick it up today.

So, basically a one-month turnaround from CCW interview to notification of approval. (Granted, the longest wait that most applicants face is the one for the initial appointment, and I got lucky by finding one available much sooner.)
Old 08-11-2014, 12:05 PM

Congrats! One month is really fast!!!

JD
Old 08-11-2014, 3:43 PM

So, the last item on the back of the Placer CCW states:

"You must disclose whether or not you are carrying a weapon on your person or in your vehicle."

Does this imply that I need to disclose even if I am not carrying?
Old 08-11-2014, 4:16 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi888 View Post

"You must disclose whether or not you are carrying a weapon on your person or in your vehicle."

Yes it does. It didn't always say that, on some old FAQs and apps it said only if you are carrying. But now they want you to inform the officer you have CCW even if you are not carrying at the time. This is probably to be sure they get word of any shenanigans you may get caught up in - the officer you have contact with can report you to the IA for being a hooligan even if no charges or tickets result. So mind your Ps and Qs

PS - congrats !!
Old 08-11-2014, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi888 View Post

Per an update from my trainer in Placer County posted this week - If your issuing authority has placed a restriction on your permit, it is the law, and applies when carrying (such as declaration to law enforcement and signs at businesses prohibiting weapons).
Old 08-11-2014, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

I've got my appt. On Sept. 11. Do I need to take my qualification class before my interview?
Old 08-11-2014, 8:37 PM
Calguns Addict

In Placer, I believe you do as they ask for the cert during the interview. YMMV.
Old 08-11-2014, 8:43 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

I think they have updated their policies to keep costs down for people who might be denied. They will let you interview without the cert. If there is any question about your good cause or background, it will save you $$ by not having to get a cert just to later get denied.
Old 08-12-2014, 1:58 PM
Veteran Member

Scheduled my CCW certification with Joe Truesdale today. Spoke with him on the phone and he seemed like a really nice guy that took the time to answer all of the questions I had. I'll post an update after my interview.