Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2017, 7:17 PM

Default Turner's ridiculousness

I did two ppts today, one at a small dealer, one (reluctantly and regrettably) at Turners. At the small dealer I waiter 5 minutes for my turn and then the PPT took 10 minutes... total. An hour later at turners I had no wait (amazingly there was no line) and yet the transfer took 67 minutes. I know, I timed it.

An hour and seven minutes to do something that someone else completed in ten minutes, literally an hour before... what in the world is wrong with you guys?!?

If this was a one-off, I could let it go, but you're so consistently awful I just finally had to rant. I've reached the point where I'd literally go ANYWHERE for a transfer as long as it's not Turners.

Now I can't wait for the pickup, where you go to the counter, then up to the register, then back to the counter, then do the hokie-pokie and turn yourself around before you can leave with your gun.

Ridiculous.
Old 07-05-2017, 7:20 PM

Which store?

www.jesseshunting.com Great stuff

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Anyone who Threatens it.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorRichRichard View Post
Which store?

All of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2017, 10:11 PM
Banned

I've done 4 PPTs at Turners this year, and all of them took only 30 minutes or less.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Last two PPTs at Turners we're around 30 minutes. These transactions do almost nothing for the store, economically speaking. Often the delays originate from PPTs and not the FFLs. Missing identifying documents, DROS errors, exchanges between the parties, etc., etc. In the case of a PPT, you don't get what you pay for, you get WAY more than you pay for.
Old 07-06-2017, 1:14 AM

i can attest to this i did a ppt last week at the lake forest turners, no line so we got served immediately, and it took exactly one hour to get all the paperwork done and me to exit the store. I wonder why it takes that long it was my first ppt and i didn't know the area well so i chose that spot because another ffl nearby charges a storage fee for non-members
Old 07-06-2017, 3:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Another person who already knows Turner's system but still goes there and then complains about it.

Ridiculous.
Old 07-06-2017, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

Default Turner's ridiculousness

Turners can't make money on $10 transfer fees. Simple economics. Many LGS prefer an appointment systems which works out better for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2017, 6:04 PM

Alternatively, they (PPT's) are a direct means of showing their customers how effective they are at meeting customer needs. If they are THIS ineffective, they shouldn't do them. ALSO, NO FFL can possibly make any profit on a transfer fee when it takes an hour to perform. If they can do it in 10-15 minutes, which is clearly feasible, then they can actually profit from it.

Turner's is so whacked that when you pay the DROS fee you can't buy anything else in the same transaction... every time I (reluctantly) do a PPT there I want to buy ammo or other supplies, but I don't bother because they make it so ridiculously cumbersome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considerizer View Post
Last two PPTs at Turners we're around 30 minutes. These transactions do almost nothing for the store, economically speaking. Often the delays originate from PPTs and not the FFLs. Missing identifying documents, DROS errors, exchanges between the parties, etc., etc. In the case of a PPT, you don't get what you pay for, you get WAY more than you pay for.
Old 07-06-2017, 6:11 PM

Sorry to hear this.
I've been to the new Turner's in Orange a few times over the past two months. Smooth transactions each time.
Very pleasant and well laid out store. Management and counter guys were great.
Old 07-06-2017, 6:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Corporate chain with more potential liability has led to a stupidly inefficient PPT system, plus they purposefully take a long time to discourage PPT's.

I avoid Turner's like the plague. I have had terrible experiences at San Marcos, Reseda, Orange and Pasadena doing PPT's--basically every Turner's I have ever been to. They are 4/4 in suck.

Bottom line: They DO NOT RESPECT YOUR TIME.

I will never, ever spend my money there. I will pay more for an item somewhere else. The absolute bottom of the barrel in gun retail.

Last edited by hunterb; 07-06-2017 at 6:23 PM..
Old 07-06-2017, 6:26 PM
Cantankerous old coot

I like Turners. They fill a void for a store that has a lot of stuff in my area with "generally" reasonable prices. But the whole DROS thing is a pain for everyone and we all know it is that cumbersome to discourage buying guns in the first place. Thank you nanny state legislators!!!

Having said all of that, Turner's process does seem overly complex. If you get a less experienced clerk, they are usually asking a supervisor a lot of questions which causes delays. If you get a more experienced clerk, they are usually being peppered with questions. I just allocate an hour to the process and I am generally not disappointed!
Old 07-06-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villabroza View Post
i can attest to this i did a ppt last week at the lake forest turners, no line so we got served immediately, and it took exactly one hour to get all the paperwork done and me to exit the store. I wonder why it takes that long it was my first ppt and i didn't know the area well so i chose that spot because another ffl nearby charges a storage fee for non-members
Why didn't you literally drive to the other side of I-5 to OC Armory? Always gotten great service there, and PPT's are in and out with no problem!
Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Why didn't you literally drive to the other side of I-5 to OC Armory? Always gotten great service there, and PPT's are in and out with no problem!
well i didnt know the area, so i picked the first shop i googled that was in between Glendale and San Diego
Old 07-07-2017, 11:27 AM

Don't go to Turners?
Old 07-07-2017, 11:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considerizer View Post
Sorry, you are wrong. These transactions allow the store to keep their FFL. If they did not do PPTs (which were WANTED by FFLs when the program started), they would not be complying with the laws which govern their business and they would loose their FFL. Also, can you name one other type of business that requires THREE potential customers to PAY any amount for walking into their store? I can't. Most businesses have to PAY advertising to get potential customers to walk in. In the case of a PPT, the business gets PAID to bring potential customers in. They are getting far more for their work than it's really worth. Having done numerous PPTs over the years, I can safely say that at least 25% of the time, I end up purchasing another firearm from the shop due to a PPT. So, if that holds true for the other party, that would mean 50% of the time they end up selling a firearm from their stock due to a PPT. That doesn't account for all the more profitable ammo and accessories sales. In the end, it was CA FFLs who WANTED the state to implicate the PPT system. Now many ***** about them and/or charge illegal fees. Any CA FFL who went into the business after 1-1-1991, knew or should have known the laws and either agreed to follow them or opted not to go into the firearm's business in the first place.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 07-07-2017, 11:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I agree with CSACannoneer...

I did a PPT at Gunther Guns in Carlsbad and before I could even walk out the door with the money in my hand I purchased a Glock they had on their shelf... Seems like a good business opportunity for those stores who are smart enough to take advantage...

As for PPT at Turners, I would always choose a smaller non-chain FFL over a chain store - gotta keep those small businesses going...
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." - Ronald Reagan
Old 07-07-2017, 1:42 PM

I've done many PPT at Turner's (seller) they have always went smooth yea there seems to be alot of extra paperwork . But there has never been any issues so far
Old 07-07-2017, 1:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Turners Torrance has been very slow every time, new purchase or PPT.
Santa Ana was great the one time I went there.

Over an hour for the FSC at Torrance.
(Excluding the 5 minutes taking the test)

As stated above, their procedures are ridiculous.

They need a "FFL Rescue" show like they do for bars and restaurants.
Trouble is most of the General Public just do not know any better so Turners keeps making a profit even if they lose a few Calgunners here and there.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:35 PM

Hoy boy, do I have a story for you guys about Turners. Deserves its own thread. Still in progress, so stay tuned...
Old 07-10-2017, 10:52 PM

Turners is convenient for the most part, but I've had better experiences doing PPT's at pawn shops like Alamo Pawn and Lambert Pawn and places like Ammo Bros. and RifleGear.,
Old 07-10-2017, 11:00 PM

I recently combined ppt transactions with two different sellers and a new long gun purchase at turners. I was pleased with my customer service experience.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:58 PM

Their procedure with ammo purchases was sorta funny, too--at least it was last year.
After choosing the ammo, I had to go to the register to pay for it, then an employee brings it to the cashier.
I guess that is supposed to prevent someone from loading it into a gun? Or walking out without paying for it?
Old 07-11-2017, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
Sorry, you are wrong. These transactions allow the store to keep their FFL. If they did not do PPTs (which were WANTED by FFLs when the program started), they would not be complying with the laws which govern their business and they would loose their FFL.
Inferred in my post is that these transactions are a legal requirement of the FFL and that the fee is not commensurate with the service provided.

Quote:
Also, can you name one other type of business that requires THREE potential customers to PAY any amount for walking into their store? I can't.
No I can't. But what has this to do with my post?

Quote:
In the case of a PPT, the business gets PAID to bring potential customers in. They are getting far more for their work than it's really worth.
There is no requirement for a private party to make additional purchases from the FFL in order for the PPT transaction to occur.

Quote:
So, if that holds true for the other party, that would mean 50% of the time they end up selling a firearm from their stock due to a PPT.
Yes, if 1+2=4, then it stands to reason that 2+2=5.

Quote:
Now many ***** about them and/or charge illegal fees.
...my original point
Old 07-11-2017, 7:44 AM

I agree OP, last time I was picking up a PPT at Turners I was the only person in the store for about 25 minutes and it took the clerk 20 minutes to even help me. It took just over a hour to pick up my gun with no other customers at the gun counter just people walking around looking. I refuse to give them my business. I will drive past and out of my way to avoid them at all cost.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:39 AM

Up where I'm at all the LGSs expect you to take out a mortgage for a PPT, I have to travel 2hrs. or more to meet anybody, my worst experiences have been way south, the absolute worst being Ammo Hose of Cerritos, the most disrespectful arrogant belittling shop I've ever been in. I do probably average 20 PPTs a year, the folks at Oak Tree have been great, understanding to how far I've traveled they have even given me leads on items I was looking for. Now Turners in Oxnard is a 2hr. drive for me and the folks there have been outstanding since my first visit, once I learned the time of day to walk in there have been no delays and they have let me know first when they get in a good 1911, I just came home with a pristine Gov series 70 at a very good price. I guess if all shops fit everybody perfect we'd only need one, isn't that why there are Fords and Chevys ?
Old 07-11-2017, 12:20 PM

Started DROS on a consignment firearm last week and needed a new FSC, old HSC had expired. I had to pay $10 for the test, then take the test, pay $15 for the Card after the test, then pay $30 for the DROS fee, all three had to be separate transactions. Only one in the store, took about 1.5 hours. Having worked in the one of the best and most efficient stores in OC I found this to be a little slow. Not a big deal, nor a deal breaker but still A PITA.
Old 07-11-2017, 5:22 PM

I try not to patronize merchants who provide terrible service. If however, knowing in advance that the service will be bad, I choose to patronize said business, I then forfeit the right to whine and complain about the terrible service after the fact. YMMV
Old 07-11-2017, 5:39 PM

6weeks ago I picked up a gun I bought at a San Diego Turners, got there at 10 am when they opened and left with my new S&W M&P R 8 in 25 minutes. Last Sat, like a dumbo, I went to the same store to pu my newS&W TRR8 at about 130 after lunch(couldn't wait). Took a number and waited...after about 30 min my number got called and I was out of the store with my new toy in 15 min, I'll buy from them again.....
Old 07-12-2017, 12:05 AM

I will not step into a Turner's for anything. Well if I had to piss bad enough I suppose I would make an exception, unless there was tall, thick bushes outside. If I did go in, I would be very tempted to piss on the floor, although I'm sure memories of my folks(parents) would get the best of me and I would not choose that direction....
All the Turner's I have tried in the past X years, have been a sad joke.
Old 07-17-2017, 3:24 PM

I hate Turners for PPT, I experienced something similar to OP. The person helping me transfer over a glock17 was typing with one finger and it took me over an hour to get the transfer done.

On the other hand Turners has great prices on firearms and accessories. Avoid their black friday and opening day sales though.
-The Guns Direct Crew
Old 07-19-2017, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

Default Yes they are slow........

Folks,

I agree Turners, is slow. But I get excellent service from the guys in OXnard. They are knowledgeable and helpful. The guys do the best they can with the ****ty system they work under. A2
Old 07-19-2017, 11:55 PM
Flash ahhhaahh dundundun
CGN Contributor

Turners in Rancho is great, done a few PPT's there and have never had an issue.

Old 07-20-2017, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCM16A2 View Post
Folks,

I agree Turners, is slow. But I get excellent service from the guys in OXnard. They are knowledgeable and helpful. The guys do the best they can with the ****ty system they work under. A2
I did a PPT at Oxnard last Saturday, got there when they opened, was welcomed by everyone when I walked in, they were very polite to the seller, took 15 minutes for the DROS, took another 45 for me to leave, just enjoyed hanging out talking to Greg, George and the gang. It seems with Turners it's important when you get there. Both the seller and I had a 2-1/2hr drive. Will continue to use Oxnard Turners, well worth the drive!
Old 07-25-2017, 1:53 PM

This is why I don't go to Turners.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Your not the only one. I like Corona Turner's, I never really had a issue there but Pasadena was the worst. I waited 2 hours to complete a PPT even when I got there the seller already pulled a number 1/2 an hour before and we were the next person up. The pickup was 1 1/2 hours and there were only 2 customer's before me. Seriously Turner pickup your game and take control of your staff. Didn't know you pay them to have full blown conversation about what they did over the weekend, thought you paid them to help assist customers. How do you even make money when you have 6 salesman behind the counter but can only help an average for 4 customers in a hour. 2A Zone and OC Armory can do a PPT in 10 mins at least try to keep a PPT under 30 mins.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:57 PM

Never had a problem at turners. Probably have done 40-50 ppt there
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUNS.NET
You have been banned for the following reason: posting other member's personal info without permission. I don't care what your reasoning is that is not allowed.