Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-04-2013, 4:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Questions to ask at Chief's Interview

I'm done with backgrounds and now have a Chief's Interview later this week. What are good questions for me to ask at the interview? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2013, 4:30 PM
Calguns Addict

It really depends on where the conversation goes. I would not ask questions about the department, if you don't know beforehand that would be a bad time to ask. When I had mine he asked me 4 questions, how long I intended to stay with the department, what my goals were in the department, how I thought I could benefit the department, and he asked about my family. We then spent about a half hour talking baseball. Depending upon how many positions there are you may be down to the last two or three people, so a safe question to ask may be when can I expect to hear back on my status.
Old 09-04-2013, 4:58 PM

Even when it goes casual, the Chief is feeling you out. Be on your guard the whole time, don't ramble on, BE HUMBLE, express your appreciation for his/her consideration, Remember....just be cool.

Remember, being a cop is about making a decision. If you get asked any of those types of questions, JUST MAKE A DECISION and back it up. Being indecisive is a deal breaker for many agencies.

And don't try and be something your not. Just be real, try to relax and understand your pretty much in. He puts his pants on the same way you do. Might just take him longer is all.
Old 09-04-2013, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam-31 View Post
What are good questions for me to ask at the interview?
What are some things that YOU would like to know?
Old 09-04-2013, 5:04 PM
Calguns Addict

It might depend a bit on the department, but the best question I've ever heard was really more of a sales statement.

"I see a job here as a major commitment on my part and I understand that the economic environment has a huge impart on how LE might change over the years I'm going to be here. What is your vision of how the department will change to accommodate these changes while still fulfilling it's primary mission?"

It conveys:
1. commitment
2. knowledge of economic/political reality
3. allows him to expound on his leadership skills

...or you could ask something simple like:

"What expectations do you have of me as a new hire?"
Old 09-04-2013, 8:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
It might depend a bit on the department, but the best question I've ever heard was really more of a sales statement.

"I see a job here as a major commitment on my part and I understand that the economic environment has a huge impart on how LE might change over the years I'm going to be here. What is your vision of how the department will change to accommodate these changes while still fulfilling it's primary mission?"

It conveys:
1. commitment
2. knowledge of economic/political reality
3. allows him to expound on his leadership skills

...or you could ask something simple like:

"What expectations do you have of me as a new hire?"
Thanks, Tang. I was thinking something along those lines, but more in terms of demographics than economics. This Chief was hired to replace an old Chief that didn't hire minorities. Our community is 60% Asian, but our department has only a handful of Asians sworn. I think it helps that I speak the language (as much as an ABC can, anyways ).

Thanks for the input, everyone.
Old 09-04-2013, 9:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Did you do any research on the agency? Some agencies a chief's interview is still part of the process, my chief's interview was a rubber stamp to offer me the job. Your very close to getting hired if you made it this far.

I know people that have burned the rubber stamp interview, I think at the chief's interview it is important to not over think or add pressure. If you passed a background you are so far ahead of most other people that apply for law enforcement jobs.

If this agency doesn't want you there are a lot of agencies out there, and having passed a background already put you top of the list
Old 09-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam-31 View Post
Thanks, Tang. I was thinking something along those lines, but more in terms of demographics than economics. This Chief was hired to replace an old Chief that didn't hire minorities. Our community is 60% Asian, but our department has only a handful of Asians sworn. I think it helps that I speak the language (as much as an ABC can, anyways ).
That's even better as it gives you a even better reason to sell you commitment moving forward. Plus you can sell your community connections.

Been there, done that...I was the first Chinese officer ever hired by my department (they had 4 Japanese and 1 Hawaiian working when I came on)

If you have any questions, drop me a PM and we can trade e-mails or phone calls
Old 09-06-2013, 12:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

interview ended up being a very pleasant 30 min. conversation. got the conditional job offer, pending psych and med.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

"Hey Chief, What's your CalGuns nic" ?
Old 09-06-2013, 12:29 PM

Congrats.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:51 PM

Congrats! Which department? PM me if you'd prefer.

Old 09-16-2013, 1:38 PM

For my chief's interview it was a pressure cooker. He gave scenario's where there was no right choice. When I would answer, he would interrupt me and ask a different question expecting me to answer the previous question as well. But, I had another chief's interview where the guy did not even seem to know who I was.....haha, probably didn't afterwards because I didn't end up getting the job.