Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-21-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinVirus View Post
Gun 17 - Another Unknown

Gorgeous stock and carving.

Looks East Indian or Oriental.

TLCGunTrust@gmail.com
Nothing I post here constitutes legal advice, nor can it establish an attorney/client relationship.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:41 AM

I agree with AR22 that the Fjestad "Blue Book" and similar are really pretty useless except for general information. Their valuations are really meaningless, especially here in Richifornia. I use them as general references and to help me reckon finish % condition, using their comparative photos.

I'd go to a reputable auction house and have them help you determine the "reserve" or first asking prices for each piece. With high-end collection like this, their percentages are generally worth it unless you want to spend the rest of your life doing research and making deals. Just my two bits, but I have sold a couple of very nice collections I inherited that way.

So which ones are you gonna KEEP?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Thank you all.

Can someone identify #13 and #15?
#15 I have no clue
#13 is a Tyrolian Jaeger Rifle built on what is referred to as a German Martini action. German/Austrian one off copy of a small frame Martini, lots of variations and makers.
Jaeger translates to "Hunter". The target versions were called Scheibenbuchsen or Shutzen, and usually had a post type hand made tang sight with a front globe, and very ornate.
If there's nothing stamped on top of the barrel flats, caliber, proofs, and possibly the makers name will be on the bottom under the wood.

#16, To add what GTMB posted, many of these were made here in the states too. Most of them won't have any markings either. They fall into several categories, Boot gun, Muff gun, and the better ones with removable barrels were called Screw Barrel guns. That appears to be a Ladies Muff gun, most likely in .31 cal. That would be the muff she warmed "her" hands with.
The grip looks to be a hand whittled replacement. Original would have been more of a round knob, with more downward curve to it.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
#15 I have no clue
#13 is a Tyrolian Jaeger Rifle built on what is referred to as a German Martini action. German/Austrian one off copy of a small frame Martini, lots of variations and makers.
Jaeger translates to "Hunter". The target versions were called Scheibenbuchsen or Shutzen, and usually had a post type hand made tang sight with a front globe, and very ornate.
If there's nothing stamped on top of the barrel flats, caliber, proofs, and possibly the makers name will be on the bottom under the wood.

#16, To add what GTMB posted, many of these were made here in the states too. Most of them won't have any markings either. They fall into several categories, Boot gun, Muff gun, and the better ones with removable barrels were called Screw Barrel guns. That appears to be a Ladies Muff gun, most likely in .31 cal. That would be the muff she warmed "her" hands with.
The grip looks to be a hand whittled replacement. Original would have been more of a round knob, with more downward curve to it.
You are awesome! Thank you very much.
Old 06-21-2018, 6:49 PM
Calguns Addict

That Marin lever-gun is sweet. Do you know what caliber it is chambered for?

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 06-21-2018, 6:57 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Unfortunately no. I only got pictures and no additional details.
Old 06-22-2018, 7:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Unfortunately no. I only got pictures and no additional details.
I'm not a Marlin expert, but with old Winchester lever guns the caliber makes a HUGE difference in value. For example, a plain-jane 1894 rifle in 30-30 could fetch about $1,000 in decent condition. That same rifle could bring triple that if it were chambered in 38-55.

If they are intent on finding the value for that gun, caliber is a very important component in calculating its worth.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 06-22-2018, 3:42 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm not a Marlin expert, but with old Winchester lever guns the caliber makes a HUGE difference in value. For example, a plain-jane 1894 rifle in 30-30 could fetch about $1,000 in decent condition. That same rifle could bring triple that if it were chambered in 38-55.

If they are intent on finding the value for that gun, caliber is a very important component in calculating its worth.
I completely agree. Not sure what the owner will do, but as suggested before the best option for her would probably be to contact Rock Island Auction Company.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:52 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's a Model 1888, so it would be a pistol cartridge- hopefully 44-40 as that would be the most desirable. That's a beautiful collection.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Old 08-02-2018, 6:15 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Hello all,

The owner of all these firearms got in touch with Rock Island and was wondering if anyone here ever consigned their guns with Rock Island.

The owner wants to know if their practice has always been to not allow reserves set for the guns.

Can anyone with experience selling through Rock Island chime in?

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hello all,

The owner of all these firearms got in touch with Rock Island and was wondering if anyone here ever consigned their guns with Rock Island.

The owner wants to know if their practice has always been to not allow reserves set for the guns.

Thank you in advance.
Make sure he's prepared for the cut they will take.
His guns will all be selling for less than $1K (individually) and an auction house like Rock Island can actually work against you in associated fees.
Do the math on a worst case scenario sale, and proceed cautiously.

I used an auction house in San Diego (specializing in movie props) for two 1911's that sold below their value - I was convinced to lower the reserve.
It was the dumbest, most financially foolish mistake I ever made. I will never ever do it again.
They had one of those internet televised auctions, where I spoke about the guns history and showed them off, as the bids came in.

The auction house did great business, the 1911's are in a display case in a hotel Arizona, I could have got at least 40% more selling them on Calguns or Gun broker.
http://www.icollector.com/The-Butche...GI-s_i10867145

Also look through the RIA catalogue at prices for firearms like your friends, there is a site you can enroll in that allows you to see what they sell for, then minus what the auction house took, it's not pretty reading.

But everyone will have had a different experience - mine was a huge loss, possibly the worst I have had in 25 years collecting and trading experience.
Old 08-03-2018, 8:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hello all,

Thank you in advance.
I've never heard of that. Some auction houses won't allow on lower end guns or frown on doing then but I know for a fact Orange Coast Auctions will sometimes allow a reserve. I guarantee I would not consign a high end gun in some cases without one.
Old 08-05-2018, 5:23 PM

I wouldn't consign without a reserve. Morphy's allows a reserve and they bought Julia. However you have to get them to PA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2018, 6:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Morphys has the highest buyers premium in the industry I am aware of. I doubt any auction house allows a reserve on lower end guns usually has to be one worth in the thousands I believe they aren't going to allow it for $500-1000 guns.
Old 08-05-2018, 9:42 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Thank you all.

I will pass this along
Old 08-06-2018, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
Morphys has the highest buyers premium in the industry I am aware of. I doubt any auction house allows a reserve on lower end guns usually has to be one worth in the thousands I believe they aren't going to allow it for $500-1000 guns.

I know they allow a reserve of $2k on a rifle I would value right there and seller values at $3k.

Their sellers premium is lower than RIA. Their buyers premium is high if you bid through proxibid. By bidding through their website it is 5pts less.. By phone bidding it is another 3pts less. So whatever you see on proxibid can really be 8pts lower.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 6:38 AM

The problem everyone is having is they thinking like a collector, not someone who has the primary job of liquidating estate assets. Reserves be damned!!.. I buy lots of C&R guns out of auctions. They never sell for the prices quoted in the Blue Book. That's why folks attend auctions. They're bargain hunting... guilty as charged... Unless an auction house sells guns only they are going to treat the item like any other piece of furniture with high consignment fees and elevated buyers premiums. The best way around that is to deal with a auctioneer that sells guns only.

The best one I've run into is Gunrunner Auctions out of Cody WY. www.gunrunnerauctions.com/?p=343 They charge the consigner 15% and the buyer 10%. And they sell between 400-500 guns and accessories per month. There are no reserves and all items open at $20. I did see one gun start at $20, and sell for $36,000.. So there are deep pockets that follow their monthly auctions. And most of the time the guns will bring close to fair market value. The old adage of 'It's only worth what some one's willing to give for it' rings true, regardless of what the consignor thinks. The consignor needs to be aware of that, and consign with a house that gets lots of exposure, charges reasonable fees, and has a dedicated audience.
Old 08-06-2018, 6:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt14k View Post
I know they allow a reserve of $2k on a rifle I would value right there and seller values at $3k.

Their sellers premium is lower than RIA. Their buyers premium is high if you bid through proxibid. By bidding through their website it is 5pts less.. By phone bidding it is another 3pts less. So whatever you see on proxibid can really be 8pts lower.

Sellers premiums can and do vary depending on what you are consigning and your relationship with the auction house. And buyer's premiums anywhere are lower if you don't use Proxibid and pay cash.

But I think Morphys is 26% through Proxibid and paying with credit card which is highest I know of.

You can't always base it 100% by that though there is no way I would give certain guns to say LSB instead of RIA or maybe even OCA or Lil Jon's. Even if a lower sellers premium.
Old 08-06-2018, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
Sellers premiums can and do vary depending on what you are consigning and your relationship with the auction house. And buyer's premiums anywhere are lower if you don't use Proxibid and pay cash.

But I think Morphys is 26% through Proxibid and paying with credit card which is highest I know of.

You can't always base it 100% by that though there is no way I would give certain guns to say LSB instead of RIA or maybe even OCA or Lil Jon's. Even if a lower sellers premium.
Yes last time I bought from Morphy's it was 18% buyers premium paying with a credit card and bidding by phone. If I sent in payment it would have been another 3pts less so that 26% can be brought down to 15%. This was before they bought Julia so it maybe a little higher now. If your item sells over I believe $7k there is no sellers premium.

I don't think I have heard of those other auction houses. That gunrunner auctions prices were pretty low last time around. I wouldn't list with them. Personally I would put items 14 day auction on gunbroker $299 starting bid start and end 9pm EST on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.

Old 08-06-2018, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Thank you all.

Can someone identify #13 and #15?

In regards to number 15. With all that engraving it may well be a a dueling pistol. A lot of those were guild made, especially if there are no engravings and can be a real SOB to identify. If it is a dueling pistol it’s a shame it’s mate isn’t there also. I do love dueling pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk