Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-11-2014, 9:06 PM

Default Report: electric grid vulnerable (was: Grid down)

Has anyone seen this report?

http://freebeacon.com/report-u-s-ele...e-to-sabotage/

I also saw an article a few weeks ago that the San Jose power failure was due to a coordinated attack on a remote substation by a sniper.

A cascading grid failure is a serious concern.

any thoughts.

Illegitimi non carborundum

John 15:13

"Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers." Tecumseh
Old 03-11-2014, 9:31 PM

When...not if...will be how this story goes.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-12-2014, 9:39 AM

It is a very real concern and one people should be prepared for. I know all the power companies in the US view it as a threat and hold periodic simulations country wide on how to handle such an attack.

It’s never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet
that suckles on a taxpayer’s teet until they have sore, chapped nipples.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

i have the solution for them

stack cargo containers around the substations

there are tonnes of them just sitting in california from china
Old 03-12-2014, 1:05 PM

Or use the Hesco bastions like these. That'll stop at least the type of incident in San Jose

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-12-2014, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member

Yes our power grid is fragile. 2011 power outage Southern California was caused by a single electrical technician mainly an oops. Our sub-stations are prime targets like the San Jose incident. It'll be tough to guard all of our sub-stations. It's bad enough that it's not EMP protected.

My only thought on this matter is become energy "independent" as much as possible. Generator, solar arrays, wind, hydro, and battery back up.
Old 03-12-2014, 5:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireload View Post
Yes our power grid is fragile. 2011 power outage Southern California was caused by a single electrical technician mainly an oops. Our sub-stations are prime targets like the San Jose incident. It'll be tough to guard all of our sub-stations. It's bad enough that it's not EMP protected.

My only thought on this matter is become energy "independent" as much as possible. Generator, solar arrays, wind, hydro, and battery back up.
oh you and i can survive without electricity but the countless panicy idiots cant tun on their playboxes will buy all the beans
Old 03-13-2014, 2:41 AM

A serious thought that keeps me prepping is not the my power going out but the leeches dependent on EBT system. if the powers out how will their green dot cards work. where are they going to get their palmals and 40oz from.

How long before there are "food riots" for the people who are on EBT and stores wont take them. most stores only stock 3 days of food at the location and if the power is out I doubt my friendly wally-world greeter is going into work.

LA times states there are 1.1 million EBT recipients in LA county. If even 10% freaked out after 3 days that is 100,000+....

Nationwide there are 47millions on EBT style benefits...that is a huge number.

Illegitimi non carborundum

John 15:13

"Let us form one body, one heart, and defend to the last warrior our country, our homes, our liberty, and the graves of our fathers." Tecumseh
Old 03-13-2014, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
A serious thought that keeps me prepping is not the my power going out but the leeches dependent on EBT system. if the powers out how will their green dot cards work. where are they going to get their palmals and 40oz from.

How long before there are "food riots" for the people who are on EBT and stores wont take them. most stores only stock 3 days of food at the location and if the power is out I doubt my friendly wally-world greeter is going into work.

LA times states there are 1.1 million EBT recipients in LA county. If even 10% freaked out after 3 days that is 100,000+....

Nationwide there are 47millions on EBT style benefits...that is a huge number.
you got that right! opportunistic looters will be the first to get the party started.
Old 03-14-2014, 4:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
oh you and i can survive without electricity but the countless panicy idiots cant tun on their playboxes will buy all the beans

That is true.