Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-13-2013, 8:12 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs
Post Suggest a First Aid Kit

Ok guys. I'm looking for a decent trauma/first aid kit to add to each of my GHBs that I keep in each car. I travel a lot and plan on having this be a kit that will cover the absolute necessities and fit well within a self-contained bag that I can throw or strap onto my larger backpack.

I'm hoping that the contents will cover 3 types of situations:
1)Typical simple first aid, band-aids, tylenol, burn cream, etc.

2)Something to cover first-responder type emergencies. For example, if I were to be the first on a scene of a car accident, what would I want in a bag that I could grab to provide aid until paramedics arrived? (i.e. cpr mask)

3)Misc. gear that would apply to a GHB/SHTF type scenario that I may encounter if I had to leave my vehicle to get home. Or other misc., but likely scenarios, like an accident that could occur while out shooting in the Desert.

I'm hoping to buy a complete kit to begin with, and am willing to add a few add'l items as needed, but the more complete to meet my needs the better. Also, please don't recommend a full paramedic duffel bag, I want this to be part of a backpack system, so it can't be overly large and complicated. I'm looking for something thorough, but streamlined to the necessities.

Thanks everyone!

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 03-13-2013, 8:31 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Have a budget in mind? Some commercially available IFAKs, for instance, can be pricey, and the vendors of those often have more comprehensive kits, too.

For example - http://www.afmo.com/First-Aid-s/6635.htm

I have no idea who they are and didn't really look at their offerings, just the prices.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 03-13-2013 at 8:35 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 8:35 PM
Calguns Addict

checkk the american red cross website.
Old 03-13-2013, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

As far as price, I'm thinking between $50-100 per kit.

I know that these kits can get quite complex and technical. I'm looking to keep it streamlined to necessities to meet my basic criteria, I realize that it won't stop all life-threatening scenarios.

I'm hoping some doctors, nurses, EMTs, etc will jump in with experience and advice about what works and what is more of a gimmick.

Old 03-13-2013, 8:48 PM

Riots. I include stuff for a riot situation, mainly tear gas and pepper spray.

I live near L.A. where they celebrate with a riot or get angry and throw a riot.
Old 03-13-2013, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post
checkk the american red cross website.
Anything in particular on there you'd recommend? I've done a lot of research already and thought I'd make a thread for others to follow and get ideas of products the community would recommend.

Old 03-13-2013, 8:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite View Post
Riots. I include stuff for a riot situation, mainly tear gas and pepper spray.

I live near L.A. where they celebrate with a riot or get angry and throw a riot.
I hadn't considered something like that in my kit. Great idea, but is there anything specific that can neutralize pepper spray? I thought flushing with water was really the only option.

Old 03-13-2013, 9:07 PM

Instead of buying a kit, enroll in a first aid class. Once you have mastered some skills you will know what you want in your kit instead of what somebody else thinks you might need. In most cases you can build your kit more affordably buying what you need instead of the markup price if a kit.
Old 03-13-2013, 9:13 PM

Cheapest way, build one.

Instead of Coban wrap get vet wrap (from a feed store) usually a buck instead of 2.99. this + 1 ace bandage = golden.
Instead of buying a package firstaid kit that usually has 150 pieces 100 of them being band-aides (16.99 walmart.) buy a box of waterproof band-aids that comes with various sizes (2.99 walmart.) .40 cents for small metal scissors, metal tweezers, gauze, quick clot, travel size advil waterproof container you can put other pills in (2.99), cold compress, Vaseline for wound care doubles as combustion, tiger balm (like icy hot but more awesome,) tongue depressor, q-tips, steral wipes,

Secondary kind of stuff, one use thermal blanket, bounce dryer sheets rubbed straight on the skin and clothes keeps skitters, gnats, chiggers away (don't tell me it doesn't I used them in Peru twice, not a single bite anywhere, never once used bug spray and they are more bugs in 1 mile then all of California combine.) Cordage for tying splits or bandages if you only have a bandana left.

You get the idea, there's just some things that are taken into consideration in basic wound care bags and some things that bring you a level of comfort. EMT Supplies, refill packs and full kits. This gives you an idea of what EMT's truck around. Premade kits don't often allow room for other stuff if you find one and it does, sweet. You can grab a molle pouch for $10 and keep it on your side, vest, belt, backpack as a rip away for if someone needs something or you need something.

First responder note : Be REALLY careful who you are administering care to and in what situation. I've watched people be hauled to prison for giving first aide incorrectly even with no EMTs on the way. So if it's not a SHTF situation, be DAMN sure you know exactly what you are doing or you could not only be held accountable in front of a jury of peers but also may have to deal with the civil suit afterward even if you aren't guilty of anything. (Gotta love CA)
Old 03-13-2013, 9:57 PM

I agree with building it yourself. A small kit can't and won't cover everything but you can put together a decent one for pretty cheap. Also you said you have some for the GHB's and maybe you already have this but if you don't get some mole skin, life savers if your walking or could be forced to walk far. For trauma type stuff while shooting in the desert just have a first aid kit supplemented by a "Blow out Kit"... Lots of offerings out there on those as well. I wish I could be of more help it's just there are so many things we all want first aid kits to do but given size and training limits there is only so much it can do and that's gonna depend on you and your limitations in this case.
Old 03-13-2013, 9:58 PM
Veteran Member

Adventure Medical has some great ones and I like their Sportsman line.

I picked up one of the older versions of the 'whitetail' for about $30 on sale but I've also added a lot to it and removed a couple of things.

If you're starting from scratch like I was, it was easiest to buy a kit and augment it.

EDIT: I agree with building your own. For me it was easiest to buy a kit and go from there. YMMV
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 03-13-2013, 10:22 PM

Adventure medical is great they use quality equipment. I have there comprehensive from ebay and I have not needed more then that at home.

This is a cool site that lets you build your own, they also have other kits.
$30 to $60 depending what you buy. https://www.uspatriottactical.com/cu...paway-emt.html
Adventure kit, all you need, mostly $150ish, dont buy from there website shop around http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...ive&product=86
And the Chief Website is good too.

Last edited by mindwip; 03-13-2013 at 10:55 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 PM

I agree with the suggestions to build your own. That way, you will have what you want, and not have what you don't. A Google search will reveal tons of lists for first aid kits - from individual to medic size and larger. Read through a number of them, figure out what you want, make your own list, and buy your supplies. Local stores will have most of it. Internet shop for the rest. Once you have all of your stuff, then you can buy the right size/shape bag for it. This way, in then end, you will save money and get what you really want.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 PM

ps the thing is without medical training, first aid, first responder, you really dont know how to use most of the stuff in a kit properly. There is also a lot that can be done to save some one with out a kit, heat, cold, cpr, stop bleeding, avpu, opqrst, loc, scene safety, sample, Head to toe, normal heartbeat, altitude sickness, seizure, choking, recovery position so the person does not choke on their own vomit and I am sure others.

All the above can be treated, not made worse and some times "cured" with out any first aid kit. Just using knowledge of the human body.

I have taken classes from American Red Cross, AHA, WMI, EMT classes, each time i learn something new. My most recent class was a WMI class that blew me away. By far the BEST class i have ever taken. The way they treat the class you will learn a lot. I took there 16 hour first aid class and they cover a wide range of items. HIGHLY recommend them. Yes they cost more but you will learn more then any similar RedCross class or AHA and i have taken classes from all 3.

Quote:
First responder note : Be REALLY careful who you are administering care to and in what situation. I've watched people be hauled to prison for giving first aide incorrectly even with no EMTs on the way. So if it's not a SHTF situation, be DAMN sure you know exactly what you are doing or you could not only be held accountable in front of a jury of peers but also may have to deal with the civil suit afterward even if you aren't guilty of anything. (Gotta love CA)
Who got hauled away, really interested to know more about this! What did they "do"?

Last edited by mindwip; 03-13-2013 at 10:41 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for your post, as it mirrors my feeling and training. I have taken first aid, cpr and emt classes, and I agree that the majority of first aid doesnt require much in the area of materials. In fact the most important parts are assessing whether care is needed and what care.

However, having given cpr to a diabetic 60 yr old who drowned I would rather have a cpr mask than go without again. Likewise, after being the first to come across a rollover accident with several doa and survivors with serious bleeding and first responders 15-20 minutes out, I prefer to have bandages on hand to help stop bleeding than use my shirt again.

Thats why the time has come to put together a comprehensive kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwip View Post
ps the thing is without medical training, first aid, first responder, you really dont know how to use most of the stuff in a kit properly. There is also a lot that can be done to save some one with out a kit, heat, cold, cpr, stop bleeding, avpu, opqrst, loc, scene safety, sample, Head to toe, normal heartbeat, altitude sickness, seizure, choking, recovery position so the person does not choke on their own vomit and I am sure others.

All the above can be treated, not made worse and some times "cured" with out any first aid kit. Just using knowledge of the human body.

I have taken classes from American Red Cross, AHA, WMI, EMT classes, each time i learn something new. My most recent class was a WMI class that blew me away. By far the BEST class i have ever taken. The way they treat the class you will learn a lot. I took there 16 hour first aid class and they cover a wide range of items. HIGHLY recommend them. Yes they cost more but you will learn more then any similar RedCross class or AHA and i have taken classes from all 3.

Who got hauled away, really interested to know more about this! What did they "do"?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the post and link to chiefsupply, looks like a goid site.

Regarding your post below, I understand and do my best to evaluate risk & liability when considering first aid, but between possibly saving a life and being liable, I couldn't live with just standing by and watching. I'm just not built that way. If you know of a case of arrest or civil liability I would be interested in reading about it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madstone View Post

Old 03-13-2013, 11:14 PM

The combat trauma bag (CTB V3) is very nice, but it's a bit pricey. Has all sorts of cool stuff in it, quick clot, burn gel, bench made belt cutter. It's designed for stopping major trauma in the field, and is what our fleet marine corpsmen are carrying.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
This was 15 some odd years ago now but when I was 14, 3 people I knew were in the middle of a 5 car accident. Paramedics were on the other side of town in the foothills. The accident was 100 yards from my house on the highway. The guy in the first car was beat up kinda bad, more whiplash then anything, second car was a mother and baby, 3rd car was people I knew. Car coming the other way crashed the first car but side swiped the second and third car, the second oncoming car did nearly the same move trying to stop. Road was slick and it was raining. Someone from the next road over pulled the mom and baby out of the car, the mom ended up with the left side of her body paralyzed she sued the guy who pulled her and the baby out and won not only that court case for negligent care or gross negligence & negligent consent I think (because she said don't touch me and he pulled her out anyway), medical bills but a civil suit immediately following as a payout for current and future loss of work, future medical, babies medical, pain and suffering, it was a flat out nightmare, needless to say he was 50 something and had to move in with his parents because this woman took EVERYTHING. The time period when people were really getting sue happy.

There's multiple cases like this across the country that follow kinda the same story. More recently there were 2 best friends, one pulls the other out of the car, the one who got pulled out sues her for everything cus she's paralyzed from the neck down and wins for negligence.

I'll put it this way:
If some b***h can sue McDonalds over hot coffee not having a hot coffee warning label you bet your butt you can get sued for just about anything.
If a guy is arrested for hosing down his own burning house with his own garden hose from a water spigot in his own yard you bet your butt you can be arrested for just about anything.
If the cops can shoot your little yipper dog because it's a "threat" you bet your butt you can be shot for just about anything.

I'm not saying never give anyone first aid but instead of just doing it to someone, I offer supplies (and have with no issue) or take a phone recording of them giving expressed consent to do something in particular. Consider the phone recording may or may not (probably won't) hold up in court but at least it's something.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 AM

OP glad you have taken classes did not see that in your first post. Would still recommend adventure medical and add what you need. One of there kits will be the sise you are looking for. Make sure to let us know what u get.

Madstone thanks for sharing. That really sucks. my ex girlfriend had a freeway accident and got out of the car when it was over due to smoke and a good bystander who helper get out. As soon as she got out her car was hit 5 times by other cars on the freeway who would hit her car then stop beyond it, the next car would hit hers again and do the same thing. It was at night and they did not see her car or at least were looking at the other cars involved and hit hers. She is lucky she got out. Man you just never know it can go either way.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member

Madstone that is really horrible. I would have to say that if someone is alert enough to say 'don't touch me', then I wouldn't consider them in a life threatening situation. I also generally think moving people in a car accident is a road to a lawsuit. Unless they're not breathing or dont have a pulse, I've been taught to leave them due to risks of paralysis, etc.

Old 03-14-2013, 6:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Look up
Dark angel medical, llc
Nice compact, trauma kits
May be above the price point though
Take a look at their Facebook page
Old 03-14-2013, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madstone View Post
I'll put it this way:
If some b***h can sue McDonalds over hot coffee not having a hot coffee warning label you bet your butt you can get sued for just about anything.
While I totally agree with your post, I wanted to point this out because it's not what you've heard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck...7s_Restaurants

They were serving their coffee at 180-190 degrees to keep the coffee fresher for longer. This would produce 3rd degree burns that required skin graphs in as little as 2 seconds. Not a normal 'ouch I got burned' like you prolly would think.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 03-14-2013, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
Madstone that is really horrible. I would have to say that if someone is alert enough to say 'don't touch me', then I wouldn't consider them in a life threatening situation. I also generally think moving people in a car accident is a road to a lawsuit. Unless they're not breathing or dont have a pulse, I've been taught to leave them due to risks of paralysis, etc.
Agreed, this is pretty much what they told us at CERT training last week.

If that lady in the car said "dont touch me" and it wasnt on fire or some other life threatening situation then whoever pulled her out never should have touched her. If they are conscious, get consent before touching them. An unconscious victim is a whole different ballgame.

But thats not what this thread is about, lots of good tips in here to build a good first aid kit, I am taking notes.
Old 03-14-2013, 5:25 PM

Forgot to add wmi gives you 20% off any order after taking there class. They have some nice hiking kits on there site.
Old 03-14-2013, 6:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligaran View Post
While I totally agree with your post, I wanted to point this out because it's not what you've heard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck...7s_Restaurants

They were serving their coffee at 180-190 degrees to keep the coffee fresher for longer. This would produce 3rd degree burns that required skin graphs in as little as 2 seconds. Not a normal 'ouch I got burned' like you prolly would think.
But she still SPILLED THE COFFEE ON HERSELF!!. Now if the McD's employee had dropped it on her as he handed it through her window or the cup was so hot that it caused her to spill it then yeah sue McDonalds.

While I don't drink coffee myself, EVERYONE I know that does wants it to be HOT! when they get it.
Old 03-14-2013, 6:20 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Here's what I did and it worked out fine.

Get an inexpensive backpack from Target or Walmart or wherever when they're having back-to-school sales.

Make a list of the items you want. Peruse the contents of pre-packed kits or just use your common sense.

Shop online at vet supply places. They have literally everything you want/need including regular old people bandages.

Have fun adding things to your shopping cart and putting it together knowing you saved a ton doing it yourself. And you didn't end up with a bunch of crap you don't need.

Put backpack in trunk next to GHB.

This is my go-to place - http://www.shopmedvet.com/

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 03-14-2013, 7:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I put together a spreadsheet based on one of the Adventure Medical kits. I've attached a pdf version of it (some of the links may be outdated) in case anyone is interested. I thought about doing a group buy/build party, but since I don't post much I wasn't sure anyone would take it seriously. If anyone wants the Excel spreadsheet, let me know and I'll send it to you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FirstAidKitAnalysis.pdf (51.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-14-2013, 9:55 PM

thanks for the attachment!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:17 PM

GLOVES GLOVES GLOVES!!!!

Most first aid kits out there normally come with only a few pairs of gloves. I keep a big box of Nitrile gloves in the garage for working on dirtbikes, cleaning, etc. I also keep a bunch in each vehicle for emergencies, not including the ziploc bag full of gloves in each GHB in each vehicle. Last thing you want is to come upon an incident and not have enough gloves to render aid to people..protecting yourself comes first!! Latex gloves break down and become brittle over time not to mention some people are allergic to the material..where as Nitrile is more durable.
Costco or Sam's Club have decent first aid kits for around $20. Yes, there are pieces that are just filler to say they have XXX pieces, but you never know if the day will come you might actually use it. Obviously in a BOB or GHB your IFAK won't be as comprehensive, but I keep a bigger kit in the trailer for when we go camping to the desert, as well as another bag as part of our Home Emergency Kit. They both include what came with those initial kits plus the following:
Peroxide-1 bottle
Alcohol-1 bottle
Multiple ice paks
Multiple ace bandages
Saline-2 bottles
Eye wash-1 bottle
Snake bite kit
Burn gel/cream
Moleskin
Quikclot
Extra gauze/kyrlex
Sam splint
Extra bandages/4x4s/tape/gauze/etc
Dust masks
Bug spray
Sunscreen
Balmex-diaper rash cream
Hand wipes/sanitizer

Both of these kits are First Aid/Meds/Comfort Kits so I've increased the amounts of other items such as Tylenol/Motrin/Immodium/Allergy/Cold Meds/etc.
(For those of you with kids don't forget age appropriate kids meds)
There are more items I can't remember to list off the top of my head..sorry. But you get the idea..definitely more than what comes in your basic off the shelf first aid kit. A lot of the individual pieces I added came from SOS Products in Van Nuys.
Old 03-16-2013, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

Bump. We've got some good ideas. Keep em coming.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madstone
This may have been true at one time but not currently.

California has a Good Samaritan Law.

http://law.onecle.com/california/health/1799.102.html
Old 03-17-2013, 12:49 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbo47 View Post
This may have been true at one time but not currently.

California has a Good Samaritan Law.

http://law.onecle.com/california/health/1799.102.html
Good Samaritan Law changes nearly every year, so this is good. Thank you, I couldn't remember the term. And Good Samaritan is defined differently in every state if I remember correctly.

"1799.102. (a) No person who in good faith, and not for
compensation, renders emergency medical or nonmedical care at the
scene of an emergency shall be liable for any civil damages resulting
from any act or omission."

For those who don't know Civil Damages come in 3 categories: general, punitive, and special. General damages are given for such things as pain, suffering, and time wasted. Punitive damages are paid for such things as negligence. Special damages are awarded for reimbursement of such expenses as legal costs, medical bills, and loss of income.

Even still, just be careful and be cautious.
Old 03-17-2013, 1:43 PM

Quote:
"Even still, just be careful and be cautious."
Always.
Old 03-17-2013, 2:59 PM

Default Suggest a First Aid Kit

Not really helpful for supplies but if you are building a bag with the intent of stopping and rendering aid to a stranger in an emergency please take the time to research these two things:

1. The Good Samaritan law-specifically look at the section where It addresses about what any reasonable person (up to interpretation) would do in a similar situation.

2. The difference between informed and implied consent and how that pertains to patient care.

This is day one info in any first aid/emt/medic course

Last edited by the led farmer; 03-17-2013 at 3:02 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM

North American Rescue has some of the best put together kits for military swat ems out there. BUT they dont know the meaning of affordable and I would recommend taking there bag lists and making your own.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:52 PM

http://health.mil/dhb/downloads/Butler%20TCCC.pdf

Good PDF on TCCC, Has Graphic Images!!! You have been warned.
ibn Sina Hospital, Baghdad, 2006

Tourniquets are saving lives
on the battlefield

31 lives saved in this study by applying
tourniquets prehospital rather than in the ED

Author estimates 2000 lives saved with tourniquets
in this conflict (Extrapolation provided to MRMC)

https://store.armyproperty.com/produ...-539-6450.html
Military M9 Assault bag contents, NSN 6545-01-539-6450 $900

Field Ready M9 Kit Contents
1 Enduro Headlamp w/Battery & Blue Flip Lens
1 Emergency Bandage, 4"
1 Trauma Shears 10 Disposable Gloves, Pair
1 Straight Kelly Hemostat, 6.25" 1 Pocket Bag Valve Mask
4 Mosquito Hemostat, 3.5" 1 Permanent Felt-tip Marker, Blue
1 TACOPS Personal Rescue Knife 3 Adhesive Tape, 1"x10yds
3 Triangular/Cravat Bandages, 40"x 40" 5 Fingertip Adhesive Bandage
1 Disposable Suction Device 5 Knuckle Adhesive Bandage
8 Alcohol Prep Pads 2 QuikClot® Z-Fold Combat Gauze
8 Iodine Prep Pads 2 SAM® Splint, 36"
1 Chest Seal 1 Silverlon Burn Kit
2 Nasopharyngeal Airway, 30Fr 2 Compression Bandage
2 Nasopharyngeal Airway, 34Fr 1 Oral Airway, 80mm
5 Elastic Bandage, 4"x5yds 1 Oral Airway, 100mm
6 Adhesive Bandage, 7/8"x3" 1 Sterile Burn Dressing, 18"x18"
6 2"x2" Sterile Gauze Pads, 2pk 1 Fine Point Forceps, 4.5"
6 4"x4" Sterile Gauze Pads, 2pk 1 MyClyns Protective Spray
5 Compressed Gauze Packs
2 SOF Tactical Tourniquet
6 Surgical Lubricant Foil Packs 1 Tac Notes Book, 4"x 6"

If you believe there marketing there stuff is used by Military and Police around the world for trauma kits. These are not first aid kits but something you add to your first aid kit.

On person small kit, not first aid kit, blow out kit. $103

2 x Black Talon® Nitrile Trauma Gloves (1 pr.)
1 x C-A-T® (Combat Application Tourniquet®)
1 x Combat Gauze® Hemostatic Bandage
1 x ETD™ 4 in. Emergency Trauma Dressing

Bigger blowout kit with some more basic items, room to add your other stuff $162

1 x Bag (CCRK®–Individual)
4 x Black Talon® Nitrile Trauma Gloves (2 pr.)
1 x Nasopharyngeal Airway 28F with Lubricant
1 x HyFin® Chest Seal
1 x ARS® Needle Decompression Kit (14 G x 3.25 in.)
1 x C-A-T® (Combat Application Tourniquet®)
1 x ETD™ 6 in. Emergency Trauma Dressing
2 x S-Rolled Gauze™ (4.5 in. x 4.1 yd)
1 x Combat Casualty Reference Card
1 x Triage Card (NAR T2 Tag®)

Combat life saver resupply kit, through this in your own bag, only $400, they have other kits up to $1000, but i think the combat resupply kit is good for this discussion.

2 x C-A-T® (Combat Application Tourniquet®)
2 x ETD™ 6 in.
1 x ETD™ Abdominal Emergency Trauma Dressing
2 x S-Rolled Gauze™ (4.5 in. x 4.1 yd)
2 x Choice of Hemostatic (Celox Gauze, ChitoGauze PRO, Combat Gauze)
1 x Nasopharyngeal Airway 28F with Lubricant
1 x HyFin® Chest Seal Twin Pack
2 x ARS® Needle Decompression Kit (14 G x 3.25 in.)
1 x SAM® Splint II
8 x Black Talon® Nitrile Trauma Gloves (4 pr.)
1 x Trauma Shears (7.25 in.)
1 x 6” Elastic Wrap bandage
2 x Eye Shield (Metal)
3 x Water Gel Burn Dressings
1 x Ready Heat Blanket
1 x Blanket (Foil)
1x Sharpie® Permanent Marker

A Do it all kit, $1300+

1 x Bag (CCRK® - Medic Trauma)
10 x Black Talon® Nitrile Trauma Gloves (5 pr.)
2 x NAR PPE Kit™ (Personal Protection Equipment Kit)
2 x Nasopharyngeal Airway 28F with Lubricant
1 x King LT-D™ Supraglottic Airway Device
1 x Tactical Suction Device
1 x Cyclone® New & Improved BVM
2 x Petrolatum Gauze (3 in. x 18 in.)
2 x ARS® Needle Decompression Kit (14 G x 3.25 in.)
2 x C-A-T® (Combat Application Tourniquet®
6 x ETD™ 6 in. Emergency Trauma Dressing
1 x NAR Sharps Container
4 x S-Rolled Gauze™ (4.5 in. x 4.1 yd)
2 x ETD™ Abdominal Emergency Trauma Dressing
4 x NAR Saline Lock Kit
1 x BOA® IV Constricting Band
2 x Surgical Tape (2 in.)
1 x Trauma Shears (7.25 in.)
4 x SAM® Splint II
1 x TTS™ Tactical Traction Splint
1 x Casualty Blanket
1 x Armadillo™ Medication Storage Case
1 x Combat Casualty Reference Card
4 x Triage Card (NAR T2 Tag®)
1 x NAR Headlamp

Current goal; become a Appleseed Rifleman.

Last edited by mindwip; 03-17-2013 at 11:20 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 PM

As a trauma nurse / flight nurse / rescue scuba diver, I get to see all kinds of set-ups for a lot of different scenarios and applications. I also get to use them now and again and know what works for me.

I'll echo the suggestion to build your own. You can generally save money building your own, but not much. The biggest plus is picking your own gear and organizing it how you like it.

A kit can be very compact or it can fill a framed backpack. Build it according to your training and skill level. No sense in carrying around stuff that won't get used. I have stuff in my bag that nobody else will ever use, but I also keep one bag for all occasions, save for a minimal kit that I keep in my BOB.

Build it to your lifestyle. At minimum, you should keep some trauma gear, BLS equipment, and a small assortment of OTC meds like aspirin, Motrin, triple antibiotic ointment, glucose, and maybe some anti-nausea meds. I keep an O2 bottle in my truck bag, but keep in mind those require periodic maintenance and inspections. They also cost $$ to fill.

Keep training too. Having initial training is good, but ongoing and varied education is key to rapid deployment of skills when they're actually needed. Personally, I think a good skillset is far more important than a deluxe tactical med kit.

If you want to see some pre-made bags, galls.com is a big supplier to the fire and ambulance service. They're a little pricey, but they have a big selection.

http://www.galls.com/cgi/CGBCSRCH?PM...00000000001560
Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 PM

diveRN

In keeping with this thread what classes do you recommend to others?

Thanks!

Current goal; become a Appleseed Rifleman.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
diveRN

In keeping with this thread what classes do you recommend to others?

Thanks!
That's kind of subjective to the person. I spend a lot of time in the outdoors so that's where the focus of my training is. Someone who doesn't spend a lot of time in the woods or near the ocean wouldn't benefit from a wilderness first responder cert or surf rescue class. Conversely, others who live rurally may not visit large cities very often so having a hazmat intro wouldn't be worth it.

Minimum training for someone who wants to maintain training that's a "cut above" the average Joe should be First Responder (EMT-B is better) and CPR (with AED). Beyond that, pick something that interests you and that you can apply in your life.

For example, the specialty medical/first aid related certs I have are:
- Wilderness Trauma Life Support (there is a wilderness first aid cert)
- Dive Medical Technician
- Hazmat First Responder Operational
- Tactical First Aid cert

I also have 11 RN-related credentials.

A person living in a large metro area would benefit from a Red Cross Disaster class. The point is, beyond your initial training, find training that you can apply to your life. If you have the luxury of having your employer pay for it, then take some more obscure training.

When you take specialized training, you will likely cover and practice information/skills that you've had in basic classes, which serves to reinforce that knowledge. Seeing it once or twice and them sitting on those skills and info won't do you any good when it comes time to use it.

Last edited by diveRN; 03-18-2013 at 1:33 AM..