Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > O.C. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 5:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default On Target vs Firing Line

What are the pros/cons of considering a membership at one of these ranges versus the other? I could make a case for joining either one based on my location, but curious if I'm missing something.

Price (Firing Line Wins)
  • On Target: $225 initial year / $175 renewal
  • Firing Line: $150 initial year / $125 renewal

Benefits (Tie)
  • On Target: Free Range Time, Free Rentals
  • Firing Line: Free Range Time, Free Rentals

Discounts (Depends)
  • On Target: Guests half price or $4 (Nice benefit), 5% discount on retail (not including firearms or targets), 10% discount on consigning a firearm sale (I only buy guns, so this is a non-benefit for me)
  • Firing Line: 10% off Cal-Ammo reloads

Other (On Target Wins)
  • On Target: Ability to shoot rifles (after obtaining permit to do so), better ventilation than competition
  • Firing Line: ??

Last edited by Aesir; 02-01-2013 at 10:01 AM..
Old 02-01-2013, 6:45 AM
CGSSA Leader

I live right down the street from Firing Line and it isn't worth going to in my opinion. The ventilation is not nearly up to par with On Target.

If you're only in there for 20 minutes, then I'm sure it's fine but when you are in Firing Line for any appreciable amount of time you can start to taste the powder in the air which isn't enjoyable.
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

Get your Carry License!!
Old 02-01-2013, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgm118icbm View Post
I live right down the street from Firing Line and it isn't worth going to in my opinion. The ventilation is not nearly up to par with On Target.

If you're only in there for 20 minutes, then I'm sure it's fine but when you are in Firing Line for any appreciable amount of time you can start to taste the powder in the air which isn't enjoyable.
hearing you, but it is great for just popping in, squeezing a few shots off, and getting out again, as I also live just up the road. If you can avoid the busy times, it isn't too bad with the ventilation either.
Old 02-01-2013, 8:40 AM

on target lets you shoot rifles, if you take their class and get a rifle card
Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the posts--I updated my original post with some of the new info. The ability to shoot centerfire rifles is pretty attractive, and the guest discount mitigates the price difference somewhat at On Target.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
學者, 羇客, 神戰士

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfried View Post
On Target doesn't let you collect YOUR brass off the floor.
Incorrect. Just let the staff know beforehand that you reload your brass, and clean out your lane before you start shooting (and collecting). This was cleared up earlier by Gregg in the OnTarget forum.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:06 PM

any thought about the Field Time Range in Stanton? I just recently became a member.
Old 02-04-2013, 9:26 AM

I was at Field Time in Stanton for the first time last night. Brought out the P229 to send its first 100 rounds down range.

Great range. It's practically new so everything still looks and feels new. Friendly and helpful staff, good ventilation, the electronic target system is cool (no longer have to guess target distances). Parking is a little chaotic in the area near the front door but it is plentiful. OK priced ammo ($16.50/50rds of 9mm).

Best of all it's a short hop in the car from my house.

I may buy a membership there. Visiting once a week or every other week should pay it off quickly.

OP: Sorry for going OT.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 AM

I live in south OC and have been a member at on target for several years, overall I would say the price of membership is worthwhile. I have the rifle permit which is a nice option I just wish they would offer a similar option for rapid fire shooting.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John03 View Post
I live in south OC and have been a member at on target for several years, overall I would say the price of membership is worthwhile. I have the rifle permit which is a nice option I just wish they would offer a similar option for rapid fire shooting.
they used to do a course that allowed double taps, do they no longer do that?
Old 02-04-2013, 7:19 PM

I'll have to ask next time I'm there but I was not aware of this.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:25 PM

I've used both, I cannot point out a major difference. I selected FL for two reasons: 1) it is local to me 2) membership for M&LE is only 50%. FL allows rimfire rifles only, as you found out. Shoot more!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM

Field time - 2 seconds between shots, One target 1 second.
Field time - you can pick up your own brass. On target, new rule they do NOT allow you to pick up your OWN spent brass.
Field time - shoot rifle, shotgun no permit. One target shotgun okay, rifle permit required and only lanes 17 - 20 are allowed to shoot rifles.
I like field time better as a result but the 2 seconds between shots is stupid. I got called out by RSO. Pissed me off, I was not rapid firing, just allowing the trigger to reset, re-aim and squeeze. Too bad for me I can actually do this in less than two seconds.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
學者, 羇客, 神戰士

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVdude View Post
Field time - you can pick up your own brass. On target, new rule they do NOT allow you to pick up your OWN spent brass.
Please stop spreading FUD. Gregg has already posted a response to the confusion and it is very clear cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontargetrange
We are here busier than ever because we are strict about the rules and will NOT tolerate shooters breaking them. We have ALWAYS allowed those shooters that declare they want to pick up their brass to do so. But, don’t expect to come in during a busy Saturday and do it. We ask that the person sweep all brass out before they start so that they can clearly see theirs as they shoot. Simple and easy to do, but not in the middle of a busy day. But even this policy won’t make some of you happy – that’s OK with me.
Gregg's response can be found here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1&postcount=43
Old 02-12-2013, 8:30 AM

there is a new place you should check out its Fieldtime Target and Training in the city of Stanton (411 info)they allow rifles and shotguns! OOPS!! just noticed you guys already brought up Fieldtime SORRY
Old 02-12-2013, 8:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Personally I don't see a point to shooting (and wasting) centerfire rifle rounds at the indoor range. I also prefer not to have people shooting shotguns and rifles near me indoors, its loud and most of them suck and hit the hanger with birdshot). I like FL, cheap, employees are nice, guests are 9$ on your lane (and always 3$ coupon online for guests too), rentals are free (you buy their ammo) if you want to try out a gun (my wife found she liked M&P's that way).

1A-2A = -1A
Old 02-12-2013, 4:56 PM

Dark Paladin,
First, most folks go shooting on weekends. I cannot pick up my brass on weekends (specifically Saturdays) as per Gregg's own comments. Therefore, I cannot pick up my brass. End of story.

Second, there are signed "CLEARLY MARKED" that say "Do not pick up brass that hits the floor." Perhaps there are exceptions when it is not busy.

Third, I follow the rules as posted. If there is a secret handshake that allow me to pick my own brass then they should post it so that people that read and follow the rules can follow the rules (and pick up their own brass).
Old 02-13-2013, 8:13 PM

Firing Line... multiple locations covered by one membership!
Works great for me since I live near Huntington Beach, and work a few days a month not too far from the Burbank one. Rather than sit on the freeway I pop over to the range until things thin out.

Also Firing Line just seems much more relaxed. While I like the new Field Time range (way too expensing membership) the ROs are right behind you all the time gabbing with everyone, gets really annoying.
Old 02-14-2013, 2:14 PM

Default Firing Line

Firing line multiple range locations should be emphasized. It's very convenient for me to be able to go to either the HB or Burbank ranges (and they have a range in Northridge as well).

Also, Firing line allows rimfire rifles, and has them available for rent. Why anyone would want to fire a center fire on an indoor range, I have no idea.

Finally, as for discounts, it should be noted that at FL, the second person on the lane only pays half price, and their website always has a coupon for $3 off. So that boils down to only $6 for unlimited range time for someone coming with you.

Not mentioned here is ammo prices, which I would like to see a comparison of.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM

One thing I'd like to mention about the Firing Line: They allow pistol-caliber rifles to be used. The last time I was there a guy was using a 44 mag carbine, and the staff was fine with that.
Old 02-15-2013, 1:23 PM

Does firing Line allow draw and fire practice if you're a member ans its not busy, and is seen to be safe and competent enough to do so? Thanks. Please advice.
Old 02-18-2013, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexpbeltran View Post
Does firing Line allow draw and fire practice if you're a member ans its not busy, and is seen to be safe and competent enough to do so? Thanks. Please advice.
Nope, no holstered weapons. You can set it on the rest in front of you and "draw" from there.
Not sure about Field Time, but I think holsters are a no-go there too.
If you can get a private range at Burro Canyon you can... you can only wear the holster while on the private range, no where else.