Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-16-2013, 5:27 PM

Angry Semi-auto .22 rifles- ban in California

Looks like Sb-374 in California will pass. That means my 10/22 will become an assuault weapon. All detachable magazine .22 will no longer be sold in California. What were the requirements last time on assault weapons? Do you have to pay a fee every year.
This really sucks. The Ruger 10/22 is my Favorite .22 rifle I own.
Old 04-16-2013, 6:18 PM

I have a Marlin 795 and will be in the same boat. I have two boys that I was hoping to teach them on it when they got older. If it is a registered AW, will that prevent me from allowing them to use it in CA?
Old 04-16-2013, 8:14 PM

I think you would just have to register it and pay a fee. Bet it will be a yearly fee. They will also know you have it then, and could easily confiscate it if they deem them illegal in the future. Our only hope is that the NRA files a lawsuit and that may slow it down. All rifles with detachable magazines would be assault weapons and would be treated as such.
Old 04-16-2013, 8:19 PM
Calguns Addict

whats the chances it will pass?
Old 04-16-2013, 8:29 PM

Almost certain to pass. Want a number?.......98%
Old 04-16-2013, 8:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post

Time to move , if it does !
Old 04-19-2013, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
98% seems unrealistically optimistic.
Old 04-19-2013, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc View Post
whats the chances it will pass?
The democrats have a super majority if both houses in Calif. It will pass, I would bet my left nut.

Let me ask, have you contacted your local assembly member and senator. There is a very slight chance that Jerry Brown could veto the bill, but I doubt it. Still, contact the governor too.

Too bad my old 10/22 was lost on a camping trip a few years ago.
Old 04-20-2013, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
The democrats have a super majority if both houses in Calif. It will pass, I would bet my left nut.

Let me ask, have you contacted your local assembly member and senator. There is a very slight chance that Jerry Brown could veto the bill, but I doubt it. Still, contact the governor too.

What about the right one?
Old 04-22-2013, 7:36 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
did you report your missing assault .22LR within 24 hours? youre probably a felon now.
Old 04-16-2013, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
could easily confiscate it if they deem them illegal in the future. .
its been done before
George Patton
Old 05-26-2013, 9:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I think you would just have to register it and pay a fee. Bet it will be a yearly fee. They will also know you have it then, and could easily confiscate it if they deem them illegal in the future. Our only hope is that the NRA files a lawsuit and that may slow it down. All rifles with detachable magazines would be assault weapons and would be treated as such.
This includes my bolt action Remington 770 30.06? It has a 5rnd detach mag.

WTF
Old 05-26-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mmFMJ View Post

WTF
Read the bill again. it says a semi-auto w/ detachable mag

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.

Librarian " Calguns is not a 'general discussion board".
Old 05-26-2013, 11:59 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mmFMJ View Post

WTF
Good question as the law as written seems vague in some areas. While SB374 sites semi-automatic rifles and does not mention bolt action, this part of the Bill seems to be vague on what has to be registered.

================================================== =======
The people of the State of California do enact as follows:

SECTION 1.
Section 27566 is added to the Penal Code, to read:

(a) On and after July 1, 2014, a Firearm Ownership Record shall be submitted by prepaid mail or delivered in person to the Department of Justice for every firearm an individual owns or possesses.
(b) The following firearms are exempt from subdivision (a):

(1) Handguns purchased from a licensed firearms dealer and documented by a Dealers’ Record of Sale (DROS) transaction on and after January 1, 1991.

(2) Rifles without detachable magazines and shotguns purchased prior to January 1, 2014.

(3) Assault weapons registered with the department pursuant to Section 30900.

(4) Firearms for which a Firearm Ownership Record has been previously filed by the current owner.

(c) The department may charge a fee in an amount sufficient to reimburse the department for the reasonable costs of maintaining the Firearm Ownership Record program, but in no case more than nineteen dollars ($19) per transaction to process the Firearm Ownership Record. After the department establishes the fee amount, the department may adjust the fee amount annually as necessary to cover the reasonable costs of administering the program. The fees shall be deposited into the Dealers’ Record of Sale Special Account.
================================================== ====

So as I read this I guess my .22lr bolt action rifles with detachable magazines have to be registered just like assualt rifles. Again I think the legislators are writing confusing law, not that I am surprised.

Last edited by Izzy43; 05-26-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Old 04-16-2013, 6:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm hoping the .22 will not become apart of this law.
Old 04-16-2013, 6:53 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I'm hoping the .22 will not become apart of this law.
It is. But it has not yet been passed.

Last edited by musick; 04-16-2013 at 7:26 PM..
Old 04-16-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
^^
If it does there needs to be massive resistance.Tell them to pound sand
This would be the light friendly response...
Old 04-16-2013, 6:52 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittaro View Post
Am, I hearing this right? A law was passed banning semi auto 22s? Does that include ones previously bought?

K
Depends when you bought it. Might "only" have to register it.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...avClient.xhtml

SB374

Existing law regulates the sale, carrying, and control of firearms, including assault weapons, and requires assault weapons to be registered with the Department of Justice. Violation of these provisions is a crime. Existing law defines a semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and other specified features and a semiautomatic weapon that has a fixed magazine with a capacity to accept 10 or more rounds as an assault weapon.

This bill would, instead, classify a semiautomatic, rimfire or centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept 10 rounds or fewer as an assault weapon. The bill would require a person who, between January 1, 2001, and prior to January 1, 2014, lawfully possessed an assault weapon that does not have a fixed magazine, including those weapons with an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with the use of a tool, to register the firearm by July 1, 2014. By expanding the definition of a crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.

This bill would require, on and after July 1, 2014, a Firearm Ownership Record to be submitted, as specified, to the Department of Justice for every firearm an individual owns, with prescribed exceptions, including firearms purchased from a licensed firearms dealer and documented by a Dealers’ Record of Sale transaction and assault weapons registered with the department. The bill would authorize the department to charge a fee of up to $19 per transaction for the submission of the Firearm Ownership Record.

The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement.

This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this act for a specified reason
Old 04-17-2013, 1:12 PM

Looks like i'll have a bunch of 9 round mags now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musick View Post
Depends when you bought it. Might "only" have to register it.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...avClient.xhtml

SB374

Existing law regulates the sale, carrying, and control of firearms, including assault weapons, and requires assault weapons to be registered with the Department of Justice. Violation of these provisions is a crime. Existing law defines a semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and other specified features and a semiautomatic weapon that has a fixed magazine with a capacity to accept 10 or more rounds as an assault weapon.

This bill would, instead, classify a semiautomatic, rimfire or centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept 10 rounds or fewer as an assault weapon. The bill would require a person who, between January 1, 2001, and prior to January 1, 2014, lawfully possessed an assault weapon that does not have a fixed magazine, including those weapons with an ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with the use of a tool, to register the firearm by July 1, 2014. By expanding the definition of a crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.

This bill would require, on and after July 1, 2014, a Firearm Ownership Record to be submitted, as specified, to the Department of Justice for every firearm an individual owns, with prescribed exceptions, including firearms purchased from a licensed firearms dealer and documented by a Dealers’ Record of Sale transaction and assault weapons registered with the department. The bill would authorize the department to charge a fee of up to $19 per transaction for the submission of the Firearm Ownership Record.

The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement.

This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this act for a specified reason
Old 04-17-2013, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
sounds like a plan
Old 04-17-2013, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder010 View Post
sounds like a plan
What part of "This bill would, instead, classify a semiautomatic, rimfire or centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept 10 rounds or fewer as an assault weapon." do you not understand?

If your rifle uses detachable magazines it will be considered an assault rifle. It does not matter if it is a 10-round, 5-round, or single shot magazine. The fact that it uses a magazine is what will make it an assault rifle.

If your rifle uses a non-detachable magazine (and tubes are a non-detachable magazine) and the non-detachable magazine holds more than 10 rounds it will be considered an assault rifle.

-Ruskie
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed - where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-Hon. Alex Kozinski (Silvera v Lockyer, 2003)
Old 04-17-2013, 3:03 PM

Oh, I see what I did there. My bad, your fault.

Either way, I aint registering jack, jack. I also am not changing to a gay feartureless. I will drive straight to AZ and leave it at the river house. I can also take the stupid BB off if I did that.

Lame CA! Paying to live, is what I call it. When will it become to expensive (Liberties)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuskieShooter View Post
What part of "This bill would, instead, classify a semiautomatic, rimfire or centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept 10 rounds or fewer as an assault weapon." do you not understand?

If your rifle uses detachable magazines it will be considered an assault rifle. It does not matter if it is a 10-round, 5-round, or single shot magazine. The fact that it uses a magazine is what will make it an assault rifle.

If your rifle uses a non-detachable magazine (and tubes are a non-detachable magazine) and the non-detachable magazine holds more than 10 rounds it will be considered an assault rifle.

-Ruskie
Maybe I'll make them 11 rounders

Quote:
This bill would, instead, classify a semiautomatic, rimfire or centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept 10 rounds or fewer as an assault weapon

Last edited by downdiver2; 04-17-2013 at 3:05 PM..
Old 04-16-2013, 7:27 PM

This is just wrong. There is always a price tag attached to everything. Not only do I have to tell you what I have I also have to pay you for it. Isn't their another bill that says semi autos have to be loaded from breaking down the receiver or something along those lines, meaning no more BB.
Old 04-16-2013, 7:27 PM

Even marlin 60 fixed semi auto more than 10 rounds.
Old 04-17-2013, 7:56 AM
Veteran Member

Angry WTH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzy View Post
Even marlin 60 fixed semi auto more than 10 rounds.
You mean this thing:

(My Marlin .22 Model 60)

WILL BE (IF IT BECOMES LAW) a assualt weapon?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
You mean this thing:

(My Marlin .22 Model 60)

WILL BE (IF IT BECOMES LAW) a assualt weapon?

Last time around they did not include tube fed rifles.

The .22 caliber rifle is the iconic symbol of the American Youth. If they mess with the 10/22 or tube fed rifles, they have more than crossed the line.
Old 04-16-2013, 7:37 PM

FFFFFFFFfffffffffUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuu this state and our dem overloards.....

I guess I need to look up those old threads about how we are winning.
Old 04-16-2013, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

I guess the only semiauto matic center fire rifles we get to have would be the SKS. If this thing does pass it would make my 96/22 purchase a very good one.

I just don't own any semiautos right now.
Old 04-16-2013, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

I guess the only semiauto matic center fire rifles we get to have would be the SKS. If this thing does pass it would make my 96/22 purchase a very good one.

I just don't own any semiautos right now.
Old 04-16-2013, 8:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

People need to get abd stay actively involved and if not just go buy your self and family a nice fishing pole !

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 04-18-2013, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickrock1 View Post
People need to get abd stay actively involved and if not just go buy your self and family a nice fishing pole !
I heard that Nancy Pelosi would like to see Stripped Bass removed from California waters claiming that they are a predatory fish not native here? You may want to hold off on that fishing pole purchase.

Any high capacity reels are subject to a ban too!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Looks like Sb-374 in California will pass. That means my 10/22 will become an assuault weapon. All detachable magazine .22 will no longer be sold in California. What were the requirements last time on assault weapons? Do you have to pay a fee every year.
This really sucks. The Ruger 10/22 is my Favorite .22 rifle I own.
Even if s374 passes it will be held-up in court. The politicos reached too far this time me thinks...

The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.
Old 04-18-2013, 1:10 AM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
Even if s374 passes it will be held-up in court. The politicos reached too far this time me thinks...
Really? You are going to hang your hat on that happy horse Sh1t.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
As far as i am concerned this is the line in the sand.

K
No kidding! Good old mom or dad digs out their 10/22 from deep in the closet to take their kids shooting. They go buy some ammo, take their kids to some BLM land to shoot and they get arrested for the "assault weapon" they were supposed to register 3 years previously?

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure!!

The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Calguns Addict

If it gets that bad were all gonna just have to go out and have a mass 10/22 rally shoot and tell them to come arrest us all.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 04-18-2013, 1:12 AM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
If it gets that bad were all gonna just have to go out and have a mass 10/22 rally shoot and tell them to come arrest us all.
They will, and it'll be a Felony.
Old 05-13-2013, 6:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
You go ahead ..I will be right behind you...
Old 04-17-2013, 1:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So tell me friend-
just how far do you think we should go? If they pass a law demanding we turn our guns in,
do you recommend we capitulate at that point?

Kit
I didn't say anything about "capitulation" and I'm too busy writing/calling my reps to worry about the fantasy of them demanding I turn in my guns. I can only fight the battle at hand...

Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
No kidding! Good old mom or dad digs out their 10/22 from deep in the closet to take their kids shooting. They go buy some ammo, take their kids to some BLM land to shoot and they get arrested for the "assault weapon" they were supposed to register 3 years previously?

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure!!
And that is likely exactly the intended outcome. It allows the politicians to identify those who support 2a and criminalize their responsible activity. Of course if it is someone in political favor the gun will probably just get taken away. If not, all heck could be the price!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:08 PM

Why do you say it will pass? Is there anything recently to lead you to say this? I m just curious because that would obviously be horrible... and sadly I havent really been following the news regarding it.
Benelli m4/m2