Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 05-10-2016, 2:47 PM

Default Is cz popular with the ladies?

Hi Ladies, I am getting my gf a range toy as she has become quite interested in shooting. I have a glock 35 and dropped a conv barrel for her to use 9mm and she enjoyed it.

I want to get her a cz sp01 but i am worried about the weight.

She is fine with glock 35 weight. How do you ladies feel about cz's metal pistols?
Old 05-10-2016, 5:58 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

most of us think she should pick out her own pistol.........

you don't have to worry about the weight or any other issue if she handles the pistol and decides she wants it.

and remember: she needs her own firearms certificate. and i'd be concerned re "straw purchase" laws if you are buying it for and then giving it to her.

seriously, why not involve her in this if she is to be the shooter?

and you could go to a range and rent a cz sp01 for her to try out as well.......

for the record: I do not like "plastic" guns and my semi-auto pistols are all metal [9mm and .45acp].
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 05-10-2016, 8:55 PM

The gun will stay with me, she will just shoot it when we go to the range together and if she gets into comps, I will be there shooting as well.

She is at the very beggining stages of shooting but she is way better than i was when i first started and i am telling her that to build her confidence.

I guess in reality, this pistol will end up being mine after she buys her own, so my real question is "can she shoot and have fun with the heavy metal pistol i will loan her until she either decides to buy her own or dumps the hobby"

She likes the glock 34 and so do i so ill go with that.
Old 05-10-2016, 9:03 PM
RSG Minion, Senior

SP01 is about 3/4 of a pound or so heavier than the Glock.
Rent one first if she will be shooting it a lot unless you want one anyway.
Then let her pick her own if she does not love it.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:33 PM

renting is such a good thing for deciding what she likes and/or does not like.
and it also builds HER confidence.

since you admit the gun is actually for you with her use just being a sideline until she decides what she wants, I really do recommend that you buy what every you want. and then take her to gun shops to handle different pistols. then take her to a range with rentals and allow her to "play". it is only in this way that she can decide for herself if she wants to guy her own or dump the hobby.

it does sound to me like you are encouraging her and trying to make this a really positive thing. please go the extra mile by involving her in the process: again, take her to gun shops and rent pistols at the range.

there are also classes for women that you could "gift" her with.

also, corned cat is by a woman for women: http://www.corneredcat.com/
I highly recommend that you point her to that website.

you won't know if she'll enjoy the gun you buy for yourself until she tries it.
she will know if she enjoys a gun she buys for herself only if she does the research, handles as many pistols as she can, shoots as many rentals as she can, etc.

good luck! and kudos for bringing her into the gun community. women for years now have been the largest increase in demographic for buying guns. there is a lot being written about it.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 05-11-2016, 8:02 AM

SP01 is one of the heaviest 9mm handguns available.

If weight is an issue, then look into the P01, or better yet, the CZ75 compact.
Old 05-11-2016, 3:17 PM

a heavy metal gun will absorb more of the recoil.
again, I hate light weight and/or plastic pistols.
Quote:
Old 05-11-2016, 11:50 PM

Default CZ fangirls everywhere!

I love CZ. And Tanfo, 1911 etc.

For me, if one is asking about concerns for women shooters, I think about small hand issues (comfortable grip, reach to controls) before I think about weight or recoil.

The CZ ergos are great for all hand sizes IMHO. The SP-01 is a tad big-ish overall, but since the grip tapers up top, I can get a great grip with my medium-for-a-lady hands. Yet big dudes with giant mitts love that gun too. I'm sure you'll love yours too, lol. Oh, right, I forgot, it's for her. Uh-huh

That said, what about a regular 75B? It is a tad slimmer and lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post

also, corned cat is by a woman for women: http://www.corneredcat.com/
I highly recommend that you point her to that website.
Thanks movie zombie!
Old 05-15-2016, 12:10 PM

I have NEVER met a woman who bought a gun solely on the brand name. The real criteria are how it fits, how it feels, how well can she shoot it and once in a great while, how it looks.

(The only exception to this I know of is the inimitable Rainbow Sig and matching Kershaw Rainbow Leek. )
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 06-02-2016, 7:29 PM

CZ's ergonomics are awesome!
Old 06-02-2016, 7:56 PM

Quote:

you don't have to worry about the weight or any other issue if she handles the pistol and decides she wants it.

and remember: she needs her own firearms certificate. and i'd be concerned re "straw purchase" laws if you are buying it for and then giving it to her.

seriously, why not involve her in this if she is to be the shooter?

and you could go to a range and rent a cz sp01 for her to try out as well.......

for the record: I do not like "plastic" guns and my semi-auto pistols are all metal [9mm and .45acp].
This exactly. Let her pick what she wants and you drop the coin for it
Interview: 4/12/22
More documentation for GC requested and sent: 6/23/22
Livescan completed and cleared: 8/3/22 Firearm Livescan Completed: 8/7/22
Proceed to training email: 9/13/22
Training doc received: 9/28/22
Call to pick up: 10/31/22
Pick up permit: 11/4/22
Old 06-02-2016, 9:05 PM

I keep hearing about CZ's, guess I need to go rent one.

So far my favorites are:
Sig: P938, P238
Springfield Amory: XD's, 1911

I loved the S&W 3913 but those things are nearly impossible to find (still looking), and S&W 10mm (don't know which model)

S&W shield, meh, trying to love it
Old 06-06-2016, 7:35 PM

My wife loves my cz75. We tested a bunch and decided on the CZ.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:39 AM

I finally rented a CZ last weekend, the P01 & 75b. I LOVED them! I was a little sad as the RO was telling me about them, cause now I have to have one or two. Or. 3?..but not to carry unless I try out the rami.
Old 07-21-2016, 1:05 AM

Quote:
This is the ladies' forum and I am not one. But often women are dragged along to the range by their boyfriend or husband who just wants to do whatever he can to ensure she has a good time.

The guns I always recommend in that case are a heavy full-size 9mm like a CZ 75 or Beretta 92FS, or a S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 shooting .38. Softer shooters that a beginner can handle.
Old 07-21-2016, 8:15 AM

lol, California gal!
pistols are a lot like shoes: one is never enough!!!!!!!!

Tovarish, welcome!
my experience with the full size pistols as a beginner was that they were too big for my hand......caliber really wasn't the issue. it was the size of the grip and whether I could control the pistol.
and I don't consider the S&W 686 a softer shooter.....for you probably yes but for me as a beginner it was not. yes, metal will adsorb a lot of the "recoil" but if the grip is too big for the hand it can be a negative first time experience.

however, there is nothing wrong and everything right re wanting beginner shooters to have a softer experience! a .22lr will do that. for some it is a .380 round.

it all depends on the woman, her hand, her expectations, her desire to learn, etc. most gun stores are reporting women coming in w/o male companions. there are a lot ranges experiencing women coming in alone. the most important gun market right now is for women!

if a guy is looking to ensure the female accompanying him to the range has a good time then, imo, he should not forcer her to try out anything she doesn't ask to try out. she can go to a gun store and handle guns to see what seems to fit her hand and then rent. what I found was that some that seemed comfortable in the gun store were NOT comfortable when I actually fired them!

at the end of the day if a woman has fired a pistol and enjoyed it she is more likely to want to go to the range again and she will ask to fire a higher caliber pistol when she is ready. if the guy really wants to do whatever he can to ensure she has a good time he will respect it when she says something isn't comfortable for her and allow her to make her own shooting decisions.
Quote:
Old 07-21-2016, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

It should be fine... I have seen tons of females shooting full size 1911.