Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 04-02-2012, 9:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love weapons..alot If you really think walking around with that knife is normal and not threatining, fine.
This Marine was taught what to do with that knife. So I do not feel ok standing beside you modern warfare heros.
I've been to real war and understand the dangers,. and reasons why you carry that type of nonsense.

It is just awkward when you are in close proximity to an idiot with a ridiculous weapon on his side.
That is all I'm saying.
Sorry I'm not cool enough to post on this site.

Have a great day guys. You cool guys obviously know more than me
I'm just confused as to why a Marine who has seen battle would be afraid of a US citizen with a knife who, like you alluded to, probably doesn't even have the training to use it against you.

You do realize that the purpose of this forum is to work to restore the rights of citizens to have and carry arms (i.e. weapons) like the knife you were so afraid of right?
Old 04-02-2012, 9:32 AM

Now that you have explained your fear of knives, your position makes sense. Yet, your fears should have no impact on how others choose to live their lives.

Don't Listen to me, I had bad grades in high school....
Old 04-02-2012, 9:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel4488 View Post
Idk why do you feel the need to own and shoot an AR15 or equivalent? BECAUSE YOU CAN AND ITS IN YOUR RIGHT! Don't be one of those people who pick and choose the rights of others.
BTW I feel no NEED to shoot an AR I WANT to shoot an AR. No one NEEDs to shoot or own ARs Learn the difference.

There is a time and place for everything.

Didn't anyone teach you that?

Did the OP use the knife at the range? What would he use his knife for at a developed shooting range? Is there a need for a fixed blade over 4 inches when you are working on firearms that have very small intricate parts?

Are you even thinking?

I'm all for big cool dangerous stuff, but I don't carry my fixed blade to photography classes, because I use things for their purpose. Not for showing off how big my knife is.

Just like I wouldn't walk down the street OCing a AR-15.

There is no benefit but attention from others and an unwieldy knife slapping my side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo View Post
I'm just confused as to why a Marine who has seen battle would be afraid of a US citizen with a knife who, like you alluded to, probably doesn't even have the training to use it against you.
The worst person with a weapon is an untrained one..... I though common sense was common.
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 – 1873)

Last edited by Rhythm of Life; 04-02-2012 at 9:44 AM..
Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I have been to this range and NO sidearms are allowed, NO fixed blades on your side and no other items the range feels is a compromise to safety.

This seems to be a very intelligent rule if any of you haters would think??

I do not want to be beside the guy with the mini machete during a ceasefire, I am not allowed near my weapon, why should you be allowed to have a weapon on your side.

This range is not public, it is private and allows public on certain days.... if you FOLLOW the rules!!!!

I wish some shooters would think before they post here, this is a great, safe range. I have had many, many great days at Los Altos.

It is safe because they remove idiots who make their own rules??(sound familiar)

I'm very glad I don't see everyone geared up for "war".

I actually want to shoot, check my group and have a great day!!

I'm sure the R.M is tired of idiots who make their own rules.. I wonder what the real conversation was?! Probably nothing like this guy states.

I have been to all local ranges and can't recall ANY fixed blades on anyones side??

GET A LIFE, AND A CLUE
Here's a clue for you son.

That pen you just signed in with is JUST as leathal as the knife in my pocket provided you have the knowledge.

You forget, this is a gun range. With lots of people and loaded weapons. How far do you think this person is going to get with that knife and a room full of armed citizens?

The most leathal item in that room is someone with a brain... That's my guess as to why he was asked to leave.

To the OP. I agree with the YELP recommendations. Make your comments on YELP and find another range to attend.

WTB the following - in San Diego
--Steyr M357A1 357SIG
--Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 AM

I love knives and guns equally and always take my knife collection with me shooting.

I edc a benchmade lfti and some days I carry a seal pup in its sheath sideways. In the small pouch is firestarter, bandaids, superglue, and some rope. No one has ever said anything but good things about my fixed blade or benchmade.

The only thing I though was gonna be bad ended up being very positive and I got her number because I was "a real life bear grylls" ha ha ha

Threads like this remind me why the world is a piece of crap, why we will never have our rights back, and why I only frequent national forests to shoot freely. Your all *****ing and whining about a silly knife while the antis are dancing around the courts stripping our freedoms further...

Remember, to each their own, try and be a little more understanding of your fellow man.
Old 04-02-2012, 1:08 PM

Yeah Im not getting the logic here but then again its california and therefore not required. Who is afraid of one guy with a knife when theres dozens of guys with guns around? Now if he was being an idiot with it waving it around that would be one thing but really just walkin around with it on? Now admittedly I cant really think of a reason to have a big fixed blade at a range off the top of my head but Im sure the guy had his reasons.
Old 04-02-2012, 1:15 PM
Nutty with a hint of JP-8
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have been to this range and NO sidearms are allowed, NO fixed blades on your side and no other items the range feels is a compromise to safety.

(edited for length, needless trolling)

I have been to all local ranges and can't recall ANY fixed blades on anyones side??

GET A LIFE, AND A CLUE
With that attitude, you aren't going to last long here. Here's a clue for you: Learn the appropriate use of a question mark. They do not belong at the end of a statement. Also, the use of the word 'haters' does not lend credibility to your argument.

Define an 'intelligent' rule. You're at a firing range. There are deadly weapons EVERYWHERE including the vehicles in the parking lot. A large fixed blade on someone's hip is the least of my worries. I have a large folding knife in my pocket almost every waking moment.

The distinction is that it's a large, visible 'hunting' or 'fighting' knife in most people's minds. Never mind that there's no legal limit to the length of a concealed folding knife, meaning I can legally concealed carry something like a Camillus Cuda Maxx. A large fixed blade attracts attention, makes people uncomfortable, and the range decides they're going to prohibit that part of one's right to self-defense so they don't get complaints. It's the same as PETA going after fur and ignoring - for the most part - leather. Low-hanging fruit. Easy target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernher von Browning View Post
I just checked. Change is all I've got left, they took all the folding money.
Quote:
A people whose only powers, liberties & remedies are those strictly defined by the State is not a free people at all.
Old 04-02-2012, 2:28 PM

Guns, Fishing, and Other Stuff in Vacaville has an indoor range and retail store, and a huge "No Loaded Firearms Allowed" sign on both of their entrance doors. They also have a "Law Enforcement Must Declare" posted there as well. It costs them a lot of business. Most LEO's I've talked to have had bad experiences there, FUD is rampant, and the overall attitude from the people there is one of arrogance and superiority.

If you can't trust armed LEO's in the building or Licensed Citizens, much less someone carrying a knife on a range full of loaded firearms, you're simply crazy or just have an insecurity complex. The people carrying concealed illegal weapons will still carry regardless, whereas disarming and controlling licensed people will only hurt business and reduce your chances for survival in a hostile situation.

I'm with 10mm on this one. Does he need the knife? Sure, if it's his tool of choice. He's legally carrying the tool, and not threatening anyone. It's simply another case of overbearing control freak range masters at work, exerting their control and authority where and when they can.

Yolo Sportman's club also used to have an old fart like that. The guy loved to lecture on any topic he could, and always stopped the entire shooting line, so he'd have a captive audience to lecture to at the expense of the targeted victim.

__

I don't think it's nice,...you laughing.
You see, my mule don't like people laughing.
He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him.
Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to,
I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Old 04-12-2012, 8:48 AM

Something that we all need to keep in mind about the knife the OP was carrying, we're talking about a 6-inch fixed blade. Go google the Chris Reeve Neil Robers knife, and you'll see that we are not talking about some knife that came off the set of Rambo III. That blade is barely longer that the folder that I carry with me every day. The RO was just looking for someone new to pick on, and the OP happened to stand out because there was a visible target he could go after. I don't see any reason why anyone should have a problem with someone having a fixed blade with them at the range. You may not see the need or use case for it, but that doesn't mean the OP should have to justify why he has it. It's a slippery slope to start poking holes in people's rights just because you can't understand why they would or wouldn't take advantage of those rights. Especially considering the hobby that we all enjoy so much.
Old 04-12-2012, 9:20 AM

All I can say is, I would rather have it and not need it, rather then to need it and not have it!!!
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of excercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate excercise to the body, it gives independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are to violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief2Guns View Post
I think this "someguy" is an undercover Brady. A marine feels uncomfortable around a guy with an evil black knife but not a gun. You make no sense private. So you are saying if I carry a weapon outside my home I'm looking for trouble. OK?
He attends a public gun range and his greatest fear is getting stabbed?

Kurtz: You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.
Apocalypse Now!
Quote:
"The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence."
Sir Robert Peel
Old 04-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
Why would you wear a belt knife to a gun range?
Because it doesn't fold up to fit in my pocket.

You must have been one of those children who always said "why?" after ever answer...
Old 04-13-2012, 12:10 AM

I don't go any where with out my knife, it's usually a folder but still. Doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticRanger View Post
I don't go any where with out my knife, it's usually a folder but still. Doesn't make any sense to me.
I'm pretty sure the majority of us use our folders daily (at least I do...), the question is when was the last time on developed land did you NEED a fixed blade knife?

For me never, and for the majority of the thousands of miles and hundreds of nights I've spent in the wilderness I hadn't needed one either.

Why carry nearly a pound around when something that weighs 2.3oz can do the same?
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 – 1873)

Last edited by Rhythm of Life; 04-13-2012 at 12:56 AM..
Old 04-13-2012, 9:01 PM

I'm with the majority here. It makes no difference why he was carrying a fixed blade at the range. When I'm out in the desert the fixed blade I carry rarely leaves the sheath, and even then it may only be to admire it. Maybe he had it for utility purposes, or maybe he wanted to wear it for looks. Either way, he is not a threat on a live firing line.
Old 04-14-2012, 6:31 AM

Old fart R.O. + dude with fixed blade = FUD

You generally run out of time before you run out of ammo.

NRA Member [/FONT***] 
[

Former NRA Member
CGF Member
Old 05-17-2012, 10:58 PM

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-18-2012, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythm of Life View Post
I'm pretty sure the majority of us use our folders daily (at least I do...), the question is when was the last time on developed land did you NEED a fixed blade knife?

For me never, and for the majority of the thousands of miles and hundreds of nights I've spent in the wilderness I hadn't needed one either.

Why carry nearly a pound around when something that weighs 2.3oz can do the same?

You don't need a full 2500 calories. You don't need this expensive surgery. You don't need prompt service from a bureaucrat, because you don't need to spend your time in productive or enjoyable ways. Take your bread and water and shut up. Your next appointment, if you survive, is in two years. Stand in line and wait while the paper pusher takes a lunch break.

Is this matter in need of further elucidation?
Old 05-18-2012, 1:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I do not want to be beside the guy with the mini machete during a ceasefire, I am not allowed near my weapon, why should you be allowed to have a weapon on your side.

This range is not public, it is private and allows public on certain days.... if you FOLLOW the rules!!!!

I wish some shooters would think before they post here, this is a great, safe range. I have had many, many great days at Los Altos.

It is safe because they remove idiots who make their own rules??(sound familiar)

I'm very glad I don't see everyone geared up for "war".

I actually want to shoot, check my group and have a great day!!

I'm sure the R.M is tired of idiots who make their own rules.. I wonder what the real conversation was?! Probably nothing like this guy states.

GET A LIFE, AND A CLUE
So, because "some idiot" has a "mini machete" on their person during a ceasefire, that'd stop you or anyone else in deadly fear of your/their life from grabbing your firearm that is two steps away from you? Why? Afraid you'll get kicked out of the range for protecting your life? I suppose if it makes you feel better and safer that someone is carrying a fold-up 6" knife stuffed in their pocket where you can't see it vs. it being a fixed blade outside of their pocket that you can see, super. There are probably many more people at the range with knives, excuse me, mini-machetes in their pockets than you have any idea of.

You'd better not check out the knife thread about what all of your fellow CalGuns shooters carry around on their person everyday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenknight308 View Post
He attends a public gun range and his greatest fear is getting stabbed?

lulz
Old 05-18-2012, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
So I was target shooting at range in the Bay Area. I was approached by a Range Officer stating that it was awkward that I was wearring a "Big *** Blade". He then proceeded to tell me to take it off and to store it immediatly in my vehicle. I did so even though I thought it was arbitrary since no where is it posted that customers are forbidden from carrying thier fixed blades on premises. I did not want to argue with him since we had just gotten there. I really did not appreciate his attitude and uncalled for disrespect. I called this morning to speak to the range master, and I come to find out that this person I talked to the day before was in fact the range master. So while I was explaining how I was made to feel by him the day before he tells me that I will be removed from the property if he ever see's me there again. I wasn't planning on going there anyways since the way I was treated. I just want to see what you guys think about the situation. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Private property, and business, therefore their rules. No need to get upset about it. Use the free market approach and open a private range for fixed bayonet shooters. The fixed bayonet shooters will patronage your business and they will go under. Use the free market system to your advantage.

Don't think that approach will work and your range would more likely fail than succeed? Now you can understand their business decisions.
Old 05-18-2012, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred1222 View Post
ya just go to metcalf or sunnyvale or somewhere else. the people are nicer
Metcalf is a public range with public buildings. Make sure you know the knife laws before going there.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmastar View Post
Metcalf is a public range with public buildings. Make sure you know the knife laws before going there.
Can you cite the law you are quoting please? I thought schools, hospitals and court houses where the only places you couldn't have a sheathed blade. Correct me if I'm wrong please.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:58 AM

Los Altos, eh? I had one of these on the bench the whole time I was there a couple weeks ago and nobody gave me any flak for it. Think it makes a difference if you don't wear the knife and just leave it ahead of the firing line?
Old 05-21-2012, 3:14 PM

My exp. with the people in charge there left me thinking what a bunch of jerks. Haven't been back in 10 years.
Old 05-22-2012, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

Next time I go to LARG I'll wear my 6" buck. It is NOT illegal unless concieled. No one can tell me not to wear it unless I am breaking the law. There is NOTHING in their written rules that says I cannot wear a knife or have a fixed bayonet. If it is not written in black and white. You have broken NO range rules. You just had a dickhead RO. I think I know who.... I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-23-2012, 1:34 AM

What's next, a bullet button for releasing a fixed blade from it's sheath?
Old 05-23-2012, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginit View Post
Next time I go to LARG I'll wear my 6" buck. It is NOT illegal unless concieled. No one can tell me not to wear it unless I am breaking the law. There is NOTHING in their written rules that says I cannot wear a knife or have a fixed bayonet. If it is not written in black and white. You have broken NO range rules. You just had a dickhead RO. I think I know who.... I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks diginit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad68 View Post
What's next, a bullet button for releasing a fixed blade from it's sheath?
Your funny pal. Good one
Old 05-24-2012, 5:57 AM
Calguns Addict

I just wish everyone could learn how to be polite!

One day, they might meet the wrong guy.