Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-02-2014, 7:46 AM

Conflicting reports of whether they are look at 80 or 100 contacts now. I think we all know that number is probably way above that.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/02/health...-us/index.html
Old 10-02-2014, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbenson View Post
I am hoping I am wrong here, but perhaps the gov is trying to avoid mass panic? (by not telling the truth)

btw what is the status of the idiot who flew to dallas? Last I heard he was upgraded from critical to serious? Not that this is an important ?, but who is footing the bill for his hospital stay?
That would be we the taxpayer as usual. I'm sick of listening to the MSM reporting on how this guy contracted it in Liberia. Who gives a damn? He's here. He's got it. He was running around Dallas for possibly a week. What are we doing to make sure it is contained? Doesn't sound like much.
Old 10-02-2014, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkar View Post
Per CDC website, transmission via blood or other body secretions as well as direct contact with objects (e.g. needles) contaminated to blood or secretions it doesn't sound like you need airborne precaution but rather droplet isolation however you can never be too careful.
Believing the CDC can be a foolish thing to do. Very sheepish.
Old 10-02-2014, 9:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkar View Post
Anyone out there think we should be taking this alot more seriously in terms of the potential havoc it can cause with about 60% mortality and only a plane ride away?
I do. But then I watch very little T.V.
Old 10-02-2014, 9:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
A good article on Ebola need to know - http://www.prevention.com/health/hea...toms-and-risks

Summary:
  • Spread by bodily fluid. Avoid contact with infected people. Some, but not all, examples include sneezing, saliva, bleeding, vomit, breast milk, semen, vaginal secretions, or lots of sweat can transmit the virus
  • From initial infection, it can take 2 to 21 days to show symptoms
  • It is generally believed that infected people are contagious only when they start show symptoms
  • Once symptomatic, Ebola takes a couple of weeks to runs it course
  • Ebola can still be detectable in semen 61 days after onset of symptoms even though the victim has recovered from the virus. Use of a condom is highly recommended or better yet, abstinence
  • About 40% of those infected survive but the truth is there are no good numbers as the mortality rate varies due to many factors to include medical systems available to the patient
The earth is flat as well
Old 10-02-2014, 9:42 AM

so Zmapp has said it has run out of the experimental drug used to treat Ebola.......DAMN that was quick

https://gma.yahoo.com/texas-ebola-pa...opstories.html

Last edited by stoeger562; 10-02-2014 at 9:56 AM..
Old 10-02-2014, 9:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoeger562 View Post
so Zmapp has said it has run our of the experimental drug used to treat Ebola.......DAMN that was quick

https://gma.yahoo.com/texas-ebola-pa...opstories.html
Makes you wonder.
Old 10-02-2014, 9:53 AM

so is the reset button gonna be hit soon now or what?
100 people he may have been in contact with.
hawaii has a person that they arent sure if has ebola yet. but is quarantined
http://khon2.com/2014/10/01/patient-...a-possibility/
Old 10-02-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
The earth is flat as well
Can you better explain your post and how it relates to mine?

Or were you just thrown something out there to see who would shovel it up?
Old 10-02-2014, 10:24 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...usaolp00000592

Apparently the guy who flew to Dallas is in trouble with Liberia. He was not being truthful on his departure application
Old 10-02-2014, 10:50 AM

Even doctors are startin to panic

San Diego BLM shooting spots:
Campo 32.612929, -116.428646
Dulzura 32.592106, -116.768026
Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM
In Memoriam

Am I worried about getting Ebola? NO. Am I worried about the panic it can or will cause? YES. Do I believe the CDC, what the MSN is reporting, government officials are saying? NO. Am I preparing for the worst? YES.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GunFunShooter View Post
Am I worried about getting Ebola? NO. Am I worried about the panic it can or will cause? YES. Do I believe the CDC, what the MSN is reporting, government officials are saying? NO. Am I preparing for the worst? YES.
Yeah the panic can definitely be greater than the pandemic.

I believe that the CDC is correct that we have a better chance than 3rd world countries due to our sanitation and health care (compared to places like Liberia, this is indisputable).

However I don't think we're prepared as a nation for this on my fronts and that scares the #$%* out of me.

I think the next 3 weeks will be the most telling for how the country will respond. If (hopefully) this guy is the only infected, I think this will pass.

If we start having more cases, it's going to cause some serious hysteria.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 10-02-2014, 11:32 AM

Create a panic to get the herd to be drugged or vaccinated, which in turn will cause them to get sick making the panic seem that much realer allowing total lock down of everything and everyone which will cause more panic leading to all out road warrior style environment in the cities. Or when they start dropping like flies we'll all just keep our heads in the sand everything will still be business as usual.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt417 View Post
Create a panic to get the herd to be drugged or vaccinated, which in turn will cause them to get sick making the panic seem that much realer allowing total lock down of everything and everyone which will cause more panic leading to all out road warrior style environment in the cities. Or when they start dropping like flies we'll all just keep our heads in the sand everything will still be business as usual.
You bring up an interesting point-

Vaccination for Ebola - Supposedly no tried/tested vaccination exists. How many of us would be willing to accept a "tried/tested" vaccine
Old 10-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You bring up an interesting point-

Vaccination for Ebola - Supposedly no tried/tested vaccination exists. How many of us would be willing to accept a "tried/tested" vaccine
I'll preface my post by saying, I am not a anti-vaccine nor pro-vaccine person in general. I have read arguments from both sides and don't feel knowledgeable/researched enough to really weigh in either way.

For example, I do not get the annual flu shot but I did recently get my 10 year T-DAP booster.

However, there's no way in hell I'm going to run out to get an Ebola vaccine if one shows up new to the market.

ETA: I had a double negative in my last sentence, fixed that.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL

Last edited by kaligaran; 10-02-2014 at 12:37 PM..
Old 10-02-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Create a panic to get the herd to be drugged or vaccinated,
50+ years later, with all our great medical strides... this thing still kicks our azs. And it doesn't mess around.

I encourage you to tell all these docs/politicians/reporters to go get an ebola kiss... just watch how long that line gets!

You are not nearly as bright as you think you are.
After watching WTC Bldg #7 being razed, and considering it's main occupants..

I stumbled onto this note while checking advanced weapons..
"911 = false flag. WTC 7 was brought down by demolition. 47 floors came down in 6 1/2 seconds - not hit by a plane. Just one of hundreds of absurdities that occurred that day. Wake up".
Old 10-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
^^^This sounds logical^^^
Old 10-02-2014, 1:15 PM
In Memoriam

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/man-tho...ry?id=25915800
I guess there are Ebola Zombies!
Old 10-02-2014, 9:13 PM
In Memoriam

NBC New is reporting that one of their cameramen has contracted the Ebola Virus in Africa.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebo...-ebola-n217271

Last edited by 3GunFunShooter; 10-02-2014 at 9:17 PM..
Old 10-03-2014, 11:21 AM

Chlorhexidine Gluconate is our friend.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:38 AM

+1 on the panic talk, that is what I am truly worried about. Truck drives stop delivering, line-men stop fixing power lines... that is where the real damage will happen.

I don't think this will (it could) turn into for SHTF as far as looting, riots, etc. But there is certainly a large chance of disruption of services. Get your food, water and disinfection preps NOW... better yet, yesterday.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:40 AM

Looking "long term" - and "IF" this outbreak is not brought under control. When do u seriously consider home school/breaking off social engagements (other than work)

1. When more than a few cases have been identified in your sector of the country (i.e west coast)
2. More than a few in your state
3. More than a few in your county
4. More than a few in your town/city

I pick 3

Why? School officials are notorious for telling parents "everything is aok" and I know how easy it is for kids to pass the common cold onto others ( Especially thx to parents who send kids to school with fever and conceal it with OTC)
Old 10-03-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Looking "long term" - and "IF" this outbreak is not brought under control. When do u seriously consider home school/breaking off social engagements (other than work)

1. When more than a few cases have been identified in your sector of the country (i.e west coast)
2. More than a few in your state
3. More than a few in your county
4. More than a few in your town/city

I pick 3

Why? School officials are notorious for telling parents "everything is aok" and I know how easy it is for kids to pass the common cold onto others ( Especially thx to parents who send kids to school with fever and conceal it with OTC)
#2 for me, I told my wife once it hits the state she stops working. She's a social worker who travels to kids schools and homes. I can continue working i work in highly controlled area, but once it hits the city I stop as well.

Last edited by stoeger562; 10-03-2014 at 11:52 AM..
Old 10-03-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
For prepping on a budget get creative
i always buy a gallon of clean water (screw on cap) to roll around with and after I finish it i fill them with tap and throw it in the garage got about 60 of them, in a pinch a few drops of bleach per gallon will make them potable quickly, ive read to rotate water every 6 months. No big deal water the garden.

For food beans (cause imma beeeeaner) seriously a 50 lb sack seperated into ziplocks i use silica packs that i get from vitamin bottles or shoe boxes, throw a couple into each bag, beans stored right can keep over 10 years....the same for rice but keeps about 5 years
Canned food (for survival) i get that from the 99cents store. I donate the food to the food bank if it gets close to expiration date.
Cleaning supplies- also the 99, bleach & ammonia (dont mix ever!!!!!- emits poisonous gas that kills quickly in confined areas) hand soaps, sanitizer, empty spray bottles
Never go into harbor freight without getting a free tarp (great for everything.
If you have a backyard plant fruit trees
Plant a garden
Learn to preserve both (dehydrate and can)
Fat chance finding cheap medical supplies but you'll need that also. Bandages, iodine etc.

Most people have enough regular food on hand to last them about 2 weeks tops. Water for even less time. A 3 month supply of everything should be standard 6 months ideal. Going after 6 months is a whole different ball game.

Protect yours.

Wanted to repost this ^^^^....get the basics guys
Old 10-03-2014, 11:52 AM

I stated it weeks ago, Obama will find a reason for martial law to postpone the November elections indefinately.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
^^^ THIS. Right on all counts.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:59 AM

now 4000 troops be sent in harms way

http://news.yahoo.com/us-readies-4-0...192237771.html

7200 infected 3400 dead

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-se...221907749.html

Another Guy who just got back from Nigeria taken to hospital with Ebola Symptoms.
http://news.yahoo.com/patient-ebola-...170221779.html

Last edited by stoeger562; 10-03-2014 at 12:26 PM..
Old 10-03-2014, 12:08 PM

Worst story yet. The dumb *** in Texas who brought this back lied on his travel application stating he did not come in contact with someone sick of Ebola.
The timeline that he gave of showing symptoms could also be a lie. Common Tylenol will break fever even for a few hours (but your still contagious) allowing him to get through screeners.

Why would he lie on application? Maybe he knew he was sick, maybe he knew all he had to do was lie on the application and take some Tylenol to get through the temperature check.

Why????? he panicked maybe thought it was better to get back to USA instead of seeking treatment where he was at.

Worst part...he had a stop in Brussels before he US....hit Europe and North America in one shot.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Soooo....bio threat essentials...without getting into MOPP suits and such....
N95 surgical type mask/disposable respirator
medical type sterile gloves
safety glasses
hand sanitizer
....?
WTB: LAPD Ithaca M37 / CHP S&W / Other PD trade ins....
Old 10-03-2014, 12:14 PM

May want N100 masks instead of N95s. Airborne animal to animal transmission has already been demonstrated with at least 1 ebola strain...

ETA: Tyvek suits (but hospital personal have caught ebola in Africa have been wearing tyvek suits also. Point is tyvek would be the bare minimum compared to nothing.)
bv

Last edited by bv141; 10-03-2014 at 12:22 PM..
Old 10-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member

It might sound cliche but I found the beginning of the book World War Z fascinating, from the aspect of how the media knew very little and many were covering up the nature of the outbreak to maintain status quo.

I am not saying we're anywhere close to that, but I'd venture a guess that what the reality is worse than what is being televised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
You don't like homosexuality, don't let some dude stick his tab A into your slot B.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko45
But then again I think of the mayors nephew, his face distored with tears and terror, the GAP employees who asked for my autograph, and had to settle for a cover identity’s signature, the flashbangs, and their acrid scent, the small of napalm in the evening breeze, as I crouch behind a shopping cart in the parking lot,
Old 10-03-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshnasi View Post
It might sound cliche but I found the beginning of the book World War Z fascinating, from the aspect of how the media knew very little and many were covering up the nature of the outbreak to maintain status quo.

I am not saying we're anywhere close to that, but I'd venture a guess that what the reality is worse than what is being televised.
Speaking of wwz- could not imagine getting chased by mobs of "zombies" while trying to reload my 10 rd mags

But yes, 1 does wonder how much the Media really knows (to include how much they say is really BS)

I wonder how many carriers (if any) are currently unaccounted for in the US?
Old 10-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Worst story yet. The dumb *** in Texas who brought this back lied on his travel application stating he did not come in contact with someone sick of Ebola.
The timeline that he gave of showing symptoms could also be a lie. Common Tylenol will break fever even for a few hours (but your still contagious) allowing him to get through screeners.

Why would he lie on application? Maybe he knew he was sick, maybe he knew all he had to do was lie on the application and take some Tylenol to get through the temperature check.

Why????? he panicked maybe thought it was better to get back to USA instead of seeking treatment where he was at.

Worst part...he had a stop in Brussels before he US....hit Europe and North America in one shot.
Hell his family was not complying with quarantine. They had to post armed guard. This disease will spread because of supper willfully ignorant and irresponsible people like this. Some people think the rules of nature or man do not apply to them.

http://www.frontpageafricaonline.com...e-rage-strange

Rip A**hole

FrontPageAfrica has now learned that upon being told he had Ebola, Mr. Sawyer went into a rage, denying and objecting to the opinion of the medical experts. “He was so adamant and difficult that he took the tubes from his body and took off his pants and urinated on the health workers, forcing them to flee.

Last edited by bonusweb; 10-03-2014 at 12:56 PM..
Old 10-03-2014, 1:06 PM
Veteran Member

Well the family is now in forced isolation in their apartment, but they let them leave to go to the store first.

Quote:
Three days later, on Wednesday evening, Jallah and Yah were visited in their second-floor apartment by health officials from the state and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The officials took everyone’s temperature and told them that they should not leave the apartment.

“We don’t have any food,” Jallah said. “What do we do?”

She was told that she and Yah, but not the kids, could go to the store. The two health officials also said they would return every day to see how the family was doing.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...6a0_story.html

If you go to Drudge Report you can see that multiple states and even Toronto are currently testing people for Ebola. I would suggest it was just precautions as a result of the failure in TX, however many of these people being tested have recently returned from a West African country.
Old 10-03-2014, 1:09 PM
Veteran Member

I have a new avatar just for this occasion.
Old 10-03-2014, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogohopper View Post
I have a new avatar just for this occasion.
nice!

BTW I read an article in which the "experts" say the guy is currently on a 6 month visa.
They went on to say he is not eligible for political asylum (since the Liberian gov does not want to charge him with a religious/race crime)

But the US gov will probably do nothing (if he lives) to return him to his host country. He must leave when his visa expires (of course he will likely just blend in with the rest of the illegals and run for a government position some day)
Old 10-03-2014, 1:20 PM
Banned

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/health...html?c=&page=5

One of five children supposedly being monitored at home for Ebola symptoms went to Sam Tasby Middle School on Wednesday morning, district spokesman Andre Riley tells CNN.

"We're not sure why the Tasby student showed up for school on Wednesday but, once he was identified, he was asked to go to the nurse's office so that a parent could be contacted," Riley said in an email. "During the limited time he was on campus, he showed no symptoms."

The students have been asked not to attend school "out of an abundance of caution," Riley said
Old 10-03-2014, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Can you better explain your post and how it relates to mine?

Or were you just thrown something out there to see who would shovel it up?
Sarcastic for the non believers.
Old 10-03-2014, 1:39 PM
In Memoriam

Just watched the White House briefing on the Ebola situation.
What a bunch of axxholes! If this is the leadership we can expect during this
crisis, we are screwed. Well, I guess I expected it.