Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default mav 88

Girlfriend likes my moss500 but is on a budget.. i explained that there are mav 88 that are basically 500 but assembled in Mexico. Any other diferences ? And whats ur opinions/ experiences with mav88??were both fairly new to the community and are trying to make a good decision...thanks....
Old 11-24-2013, 10:37 PM

The mav has a lower quality fit in my opinion. Also I love that the mossberg 500 uses the thumb safety on the back of the receiver while the mav has the typical push safety on the trigger guard. I would not say that the only difference is the location of the assembled product, but rather the 500 is of better quality.
Quote:
AlbcAlbrr
When you're done with the tupperware, get a Sig.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Banned

Last edited by Oliver_Charles; 11-26-2013 at 1:41 AM..
Old 11-24-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afteractionreport View Post
Girlfriend likes my moss500 but is on a budget.. i explained that there are mav 88 that are basically 500 but assembled in Mexico. Any other diferences ? And whats ur opinions/ experiences with mav88??were both fairly new to the community and are trying to make a good decision...thanks....
Maverick 88's safety is next on the trigger guard - which I strongly prefer.
The fore ends aren't interchangeable with other Mossberg 500s, but other than that it's pretty much the same.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:49 PM

^^^ that... two of my family members have one and both have functioned great, no problems with either
Old 11-24-2013, 11:54 PM

I got one. It's gtg, I use it mainly to mess around with. Trigger group is not interchangeable w/ 500 and most fore grip won't work. You can buy a new foregrip for $30 online . then add whatever mod u want but I like it stock.
Old 12-12-2013, 9:41 PM

i really like em with just the pistol grip..... believe it or not alot of weight comes off with that oe stock
Old 12-13-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afteractionreport View Post
So many people, and not just in this thread, have no idea what they are talking about.
The Maverick is Mossbersg’s lower price entry that uses some Mexican sourced parts but is assembled in Eagle Pass, TX (where Mossberg does their warranty work). The receivers lack the tang safety and are not drilled and tapped for a scope rail. This saves machining time and therefore end user cost. The safety is integrated into the trigger pack. Is the only part that does not swap back and forth between the 500 and the 88.

So many people complain about the pinned forend and the lack of ability to change them because of that. On a field grade gun they work fine and I run one on my duck gun because it’s lighter. After a number of seasons its help up fine. So yes if you want to go tactical you will have to switch out to an action tube, but you can shoot the gun all day with the parts it comes with.

I have and shoot a 20g Maverick (which ironically comes with an action tube and forend) which I hunt with so I am not so gentle running that pump and trigger and it runs like a champ. It will hold up well enough to start out with and last a long time as a starter or loaner gun.

If you are in range of Turners, they have the security model on sale for $219 until Dec 31. If you are looking for a field model you can always get this one and then check the classifieds for spare barrels or if its really for the girlfriend you may find someone who has one sitting in their closet taking up space and would like to get non-traditional (women and kids) audiences into shooting/hunting and offer things up for free.

Last edited by crackerman; 12-13-2013 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: because I can't spell machining
Old 12-13-2013, 10:33 AM

Oh god I did it, I replied to a necro-thread

That said my advice still stands, and ideas/offer too
Old 12-13-2013, 9:22 PM

if it makes you feel better, i'll reply as well.

bubba'd my mav88 and love it. replaced forend with action tube/hogue forend, knoxx blackops pistol grip and adjustable stock. for me, the cross-bolt safety is better with the pistol grip.

anyway, the Maverick 88 is solid.
Old 12-13-2013, 9:33 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerman View Post
Oh god I did it, I replied to a necro-thread
Necro? It's only been a couple of weeks. Not even starting to smell yet.

The title is....."United States Marine".