Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms > Rimfire Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Gallery Post pictures of your rimfire rifles and handguns here!

Old 03-05-2013, 3:47 PM

Default My new Marlin 795 build

UTG dovetail to picatinny/weaver adapter, UTG Delux BiPod, Mossy Oak Muscadine sling, Sniper 4x32 Compact scope, and a Mossy Oak Graphics kit in Brush Camo, and some time. I'm pleased with the outcome. Next project is an adjustable cheek riser once I find a good plastic or PVC material to make it out of cheap.

Old 03-05-2013, 4:02 PM

Oh yeah, almost forgot, my charging handle is a .45acp Black Talon casing that shot me through arm in an accidental discharge.
Old 03-05-2013, 4:09 PM

Sweet.....but come on now...you just can't leave us hanging on the "Story" behind the charging handle!
Old 03-05-2013, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirerat123 View Post
Oh yeah, almost forgot, my charging handle is a .45acp Black Talon casing that shot me through arm in an accidental discharge.
Post a close up of this!

...the charging handle, not your arm.
Old 03-05-2013, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c good View Post
Sweet.....but come on now...you just can't leave us hanging on the "Story" behind the charging handle!
Ok, I'll break it down here.

#1. NEVER get overly confident in your firearm handling capabilities, I've been handling and shooting for over 30 years, so I was comfortable enough around firearms to have absolutely no fear. You could say I was raised on guns. And they finally bit me.

#2. NEVER focus more on what another person is doing more than what you are doing, especially disassembling a Glock Style hand gun. Clearing your chamber does no good if you forget to drop the mag. When you release the slide, it's not gonna be clear anymore.

#3. ALWAYS focus on basics, no matter how long you have been handling weapons. ALWAYS, the basics are there for a reason. Basic isn't just for newbies. It's for us long time shooters too.

#4. If you do something stupid, admit your stupidity so other people as retarded as you can learn from your mistakes.

#5. None of it matters if you don't take pictures to show people just how ugly a gun shot wound is.
Old 03-05-2013, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shy 7th View Post
Post a close up of this!

...the charging handle, not your arm.
Arm pic above, On it, getting close up and will post picture in this post shortly.
Here ya go.

Last edited by wirerat123; 03-05-2013 at 4:51 PM..
Old 03-05-2013, 6:49 PM

Holy Shixxx WireRat that is nasty! I would have kept that case as a reminder also. The charge handle seems appropriate. Are you OK after this AD? Any long term problems with the arm/hand etc? Thanks for sharing and being a good reminder for the rest of us to stick to the basics...ALWAYS no matter how seasoned we think we are! c good

Last edited by c good; 03-05-2013 at 6:54 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c good View Post
Holy Shixxx WireRat that is nasty! I would have kept that case as a reminder also. The charge handle seems appropriate. Are you OK after this AD? Any long term problems with the arm/hand etc? Thanks for sharing and being a good reminder for the rest of us to stick to the basics...ALWAYS no matter how seasoned we think we are! c good
Luckily my arm has perfect function, it does have random dull shooting pains, but overall, everything is great outside of the Gnarly scar.
Old 03-07-2013, 7:25 PM

This first picture shows the plastic I used. The top of a plastic storage container. And the basic shape.

This is some of the tools, kitchen shears, and exacto knife, a heat gun, and the drill is not pictured.

I heated it up really good and molded it around a gun stock till it cooled off enough to retain shape.

This is the hardware.

Now let's get a gander at how she looks. Not bad if I do say so myself.

Backside, I gotta shorten my bolts some.

All wrapped!!!

I even wrapped the bolt heads.

Now isn't that sexy! The cheek riser works excellent.

My beautiful wife working on hers.
I can understand why she loves that pattern. Lookin good babe!

So whatcha think?

Last edited by wirerat123; 03-07-2013 at 9:22 PM..
Old 03-07-2013, 9:19 PM

Here is his and hers rifles, I got the cheek riser for hers cut out and molded, but we're not going to be able to complete it tonight. She's loving it!

And another angle on mine.

Last edited by wirerat123; 03-07-2013 at 9:23 PM..
Old 03-09-2013, 7:03 AM

Default wrap

I'm looking to do the wrap on the 795 as well (based on your build actually) and ordered the roll instead of the pre-cut pieces. I'm not doing the barrel but only the synthetic stock. How did you do the stock? Did you cut individual pieces for the butt-stock then move up to the forearm or did you cut a piece up the entire length for each side? I hope this makes sense lol and thanks
Old 03-09-2013, 3:46 PM

Entire length each side. Use a heat gun and stretch around tough curves, but don't over stretch, you may have to make cuts in areas that are going to crease.

What pattern did you go with?
Old 03-09-2013, 4:22 PM

Default pattern

I went with break-up. I'll be picking up my 795 on Tuesday, and was looking to do something with it to "make it mine". Then I came across your build and really liked the wrap so thought I'd try it out. Ordered the tape and a $20 heat gun off Amazon and now I'm waiting lol. What do you think of that scope? Thanks for the info btw.
Old 03-09-2013, 4:23 PM

Default also...

sweet idea on the cheek riser. I'll probably be implementing something similar with a piece of kydex or something else I have laying around.
Old 03-09-2013, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andboom View Post
I went with break-up. I'll be picking up my 795 on Tuesday, and was looking to do something with it to "make it mine". Then I came across your build and really liked the wrap so thought I'd try it out. Ordered the tape and a $20 heat gun off Amazon and now I'm waiting lol. What do you think of that scope? Thanks for the info btw.
Break Up will look great on it. As to the scope, I am exceptionally happy with them. Both mounted perfectly, zeroed in easily, and through all the work we've put into them since we first got them haven't lost zero. Now to see how they stand the test of time. But the workmanship and clarity appear to be as good as much more expensive scopes so I have a lot of confidence in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andboom View Post
sweet idea on the cheek riser. I'll probably be implementing something similar with a piece of kydex or something else I have laying around.
I wish I had some Kydex, but the plastic I used for this is plenty solid, if you have some Kydex, that'd fix you up VERY nicely! Enjoy the build. I know me and Jess have truly enjoyed our time building these rifles.

Last edited by wirerat123; 03-09-2013 at 4:53 PM..
Old 03-09-2013, 5:03 PM
Veteran Member

Nice job, brother! Wanna do mine?
Old 03-09-2013, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatrnr View Post
Nice job, brother! Wanna do mine?
I'm too far away lol. I mean you can drive that thing to my house, but it's one heck of a road trip. But on a side note you can own high cap mags in my area
Old 03-09-2013, 5:14 PM
Veteran Member

I'll be driving to NC in a month or two; if you're on the way, I'll stop by ;-)
Old 03-09-2013, 5:40 PM

I'm about an hour north of where I-20 passes through Birmingham in Guntersville Alabama lol. So yeah, it's on the way to North Carolina.
Old 03-11-2013, 6:37 PM

The wifey finally finished hers!

Old 04-04-2013, 9:10 PM

Wire, very nice job on both rifles. I can only imagine having a wife that likes to tinker with guns. As to your build, the only thing I would change is the cheek rest wingnuts you used and change them out with with regular nylon nuts covered with some camo wrap. After all, once you get the right height dialed in you don't really need the adjustability. I enjoyed your write up too. CK