Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2018, 5:16 PM

Default Ammo PPT question

I realize this may *look* like it belongs in another forum (Ammo & Reloading, or Private Ammo Sales), but I don't think so.

Question is simple: which FFLs (gun shops) in SD County are known to be conducting private-party ammo sales under the new law?

I have read of FFLs in other counties doing it (with a $5 fee). But this info is not verified.

I have asked two FFLs in SD County, one said they won't as they are still awaiting state DOJ guidance and forms, another professed to know nothing about the very concept.

Any SD County shooters yet sell/buy ammo from another private party, with the required participation of a "licensed ammunition vendor" (FFL, essentially)?

Would be useful to have a list of participating FFLs.
Old 02-23-2018, 5:18 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

There are no forms. The FFL takes it from one guy and hands it to the other, making sure the recipient is of age. Takes five bucks and says thanks have a nice day.

Any FFL waiting for forms or guidance might be waiting a long time.

Quote:

(a) (1) Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale of ammunition by any party shall be conducted by or processed through a licensed ammunition vendor.

(2) When neither party to an ammunition sale is a licensed ammunition vendor, the seller shall deliver the ammunition to a vendor to process the transaction. The ammunition vendor shall promptly and properly deliver the ammunition to the purchaser, if the sale is not prohibited, as if the ammunition were the vendor’s own merchandise. If the ammunition vendor cannot legally deliver the ammunition to the purchaser, the vendor shall forthwith return the ammunition to the seller. The ammunition vendor may charge the purchaser an administrative fee to process the transaction, in an amount to be set by the Department of Justice, in addition to any applicable fees that may be charged pursuant to the provisions of this title.
It is no different than buying ammo from the FFL. No forms, no guidance needed. "As if the ammunition were the vendor’s own merchandise".

I'm not a lawyer, but this doesn't seem difficult to understand. The future ammo laws that will require background checks are another matter, but they are not in effect yet.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 02-23-2018 at 5:25 PM..
Old 02-23-2018, 7:36 PM

Thanks SkyHawk.

Of course it seems to be mostly a question of willingness by the dealer to perform the service, or enthusiasm to do so (if they had much interest, they'd inquire and realize it's as simple as you lay out).

Thus the main purpose of this post.

Trying to identify dealers in SD County that are known to be willing to process PPT ammo transactions. I'll be calling around, obviously, but always good to check for known knowns first.