Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:58 PM

Default Any explorers/cadets out there??

Just wondering how many people on cal guns are explorers/cadets. I'm am one myself and want this to be a place where everone can chat and share experiences on rides or whatever anyone wants to talk about.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal_ghost View Post
Just wondering how many people on cal guns are explorers/cadets. I'm am one myself and want this to be a place where everone can chat and share experiences on rides or whatever anyone wants to talk about.
I was a police explorer until I was 18 (maximum age for that department). Then I went to work with a neighboring department as a PSO (Part-Time CSO).

It was a great learning experience. It helped me figure out whether I wanted to be a cop or not.
Old 06-22-2010, 8:10 PM

I am in the process of filling out paperwork to join my county's Explorer post.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:30 AM

I was an explorer up until I was 21 and joined the Marine Corps. Great experience for young people looking into law enforcement, and looks good on a resume. Think of it as boy scouts for law enforcement. I wish I would have started it at a younger age.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:27 PM

How big were/are the departments everone was/is in?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal_ghost View Post
How big were/are the departments everone was/is in?
The departments I worked for were about the same size as Azusa or Arcadia PD.
Old 06-25-2010, 4:01 PM

I was a police explorer in our city's department. It was large post (110 explorers), I spent 2 years in it and left as a 2nd Lt. I was also in the Calif. Cadet Corp while at wawona middle school, it was the 5th Brigade and left as a Staff Sergeant.

Last edited by tjrq; 06-25-2010 at 7:13 PM..
Old 06-25-2010, 4:40 PM

I was an Explorer - Law Enforcement Explorer Post 160, Pomona Police Department, ca. 1972. One of my fellow Explorers is now the PPD Chief. The experience helped me figure out a law enforcement career was not for me, but left me with ample respect for those who wear a badge.
Old 07-25-2010, 7:54 PM

How come you guys didn't tell me how hard Academy is? I'm a week in with two weeks left to go and I want to quit so bad, though I'm not going to. It's hands down the number one hardest thing I've ever had to do.
Old 07-25-2010, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

I was a paramedic "exploder"

they called us that cus most explorers threw up at things encountered in the field
Old 07-27-2010, 9:05 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyJeff View Post
I was a paramedic "exploder"

they called us that cus most explorers threw up at things encountered in the field
I was a Fire Explorer for LA County for 7 years. (15-21) which was the longest you could do it for.
Jeff, they called us Exploders too, but I thought it had something to do with being in a city with a large population of Hispanics! Who knows though.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

hahah ya I like mine better
Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDREWMENDEZ View Post
I was a Fire Explorer for LA County for 7 years. (15-21) which was the longest you could do it for.
Jeff, they called us Exploders too, but I thought it had something to do with being in a city with a large population of Hispanics! Who knows though.
Man your name sounds familier, I was an exploder for the CHP as well as LA county fire a few years ago. I laugh I thought my explorer academy was tougher than my full time fire academy my dept put me through
Old 08-12-2010, 8:06 PM

I have been considering this.

How do you join?

thanks,

Travis
Old 08-17-2010, 6:47 PM

Easy. Contact your local pd and or sheriffs department and ask if they have a program. If not branch out.
Old 01-22-2011, 1:01 AM

I was an explorer Orange County Fire Station 58 until I got my Job in the Air Force (Fire Protection/ Crash Rescue) It was a great program that lead me down the right path, kept me out of trouble, and taught me all of the proper steps for acquiring a job I would recommend it to any kid with even the slightest interest in being a firefighter or a police officer. It is a great experience that instills responsibility. The single most humbling experience is the realization that you are the answer, you are 911, and you and your team instills trust and compassion in your patient.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:07 PM

I am a Cadet in the Civil Air Patrol, I have been in for five years and still active in the program in a unit in OC.
Old 05-29-2011, 3:23 PM

started sheriffs academy by my house, loved it. Had to quit because of family reasons though hopefully i can go back sometime soon
Old 06-01-2011, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave870 View Post
I am a Cadet in the Civil Air Patrol, I have been in for five years and still active in the program in a unit in OC.
Wow I just checked out the Civil Air Patrol. Never even knew it existed. I love aircraft and emergency services so it sounds like an interesting agency to check out. Is there more than one unit in OC?
Old 06-16-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groelofs21 View Post
Currently an Orange County Sheriff's Department Explorer
What city are you with?
I was with OCSD as an explorer a few years ago.
Old 08-10-2011, 9:16 AM

I was a cadet with the US Naval Sea Cadet Corps until I graduated high school. It was more military oriented than law enforcement, but its has the same goals. It was like being in the reserves while being a kid (drill 2 weekends a month, 2-week training evolutions in the summer with active duty personnel). How many other 16yo get to launch an F-18 Hornet off an aircraft carrier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS004 View Post
Wow I just checked out the Civil Air Patrol. Never even knew it existed. I love aircraft and emergency services so it sounds like an interesting agency to check out. Is there more than one unit in OC?
Harrison- Sea Cadets and CAP run similar programs and sometimes even train together. If you don't find a CAP unit near you, Sea Cadets is another good option.
Old 12-04-2011, 9:42 PM

currently the captain in the police explorers and have been in explorers for about 5 years
Old 12-10-2011, 4:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molby242 View Post
I was a cadet with the US Naval Sea Cadet Corps until I graduated high school. It was more military oriented than law enforcement, but its has the same goals. It was like being in the reserves while being a kid (drill 2 weekends a month, 2-week training evolutions in the summer with active duty personnel). How many other 16yo get to launch an F-18 Hornet off an aircraft carrier?

Harrison- Sea Cadets and CAP run similar programs and sometimes even train together. If you don't find a CAP unit near you, Sea Cadets is another good option.
did you ever go to the 'camp' with sea cadets at Port Hueneme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post
I am a complete idiot
Old 12-28-2011, 11:50 PM

currently a Cadet with the U.S. Army ROTC Golden Bear Battalion at UC Berkeley

don't touch my briefcase.
Old 01-24-2012, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurecollector View Post
did you ever go to the 'camp' with sea cadets at Port Hueneme?
I never been to Port Hueneme, but I have been to training with cadets from that unit. I was from Moffett Squadron up in the Bay Area.

You were a cadet?
Old 01-25-2012, 3:43 PM

Community Solutions made me join the Morgan Hill police explorers as part of my community service for getting caught drinking in public when I was 17. Was a good program, I got to do a lot of ride alongs and the officer in charge (Officer Cupps) was super pro 2nd Amendment and would take us shooting at the range the Explorers built for the MHPD. He was also ex-military and gave me a lot of advice about the service and I ended up enlisting, I'd say the explorer program turned me around quite a bit.
Old 01-25-2012, 4:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

We actually have a Shooting Sports Venture Crew here in our District of Greater Pittsburgh Council. It's sponsored by a local gun shop/indoor range about 4 miles away from me. Interestingly enough, it's comprised of ALL former Girl Scouts, and has been the entire time I've known of it (6 years)!

The Girl Scouts get fed up with their Vacuuming/Dishwashing merit badges, and want more excitement. And for some reason, they've NEVER been able to attract any boys to the Crew! I keep telling Boy Scouts about it (DUDES - 14-20 year old chicks and pistols!!!), but they must be dumping some kinda estrogen in the water supply therse days - you can't GET a guy to sign up!!!