Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 02-08-2013, 1:32 PM

For any 300 AAC blackout fans, Trijicon is going to release a TA33 with a 300Blk reticle. It has an interesting reticle as the BDC is marked for both super and subsonic rounds
Old 02-08-2013, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
Thanks, yes I like the monolithic VLTOR that Noveske uses. Should be doing some break in range time in the next few weeks. Have never used a TA11 optic before but I am guessing they are pretty darn close from the factory for 100 yard sight in. Although there was a thread that I saw that suggested sighting in the TA 11 at 60 yards zero and 1.4" high at 100 yards to be fully dialed in for the longer distances using the BDC.
It really depends on the version that you have. Most, if not all ACOGs with a BDC are intended to be zero'd at 100 yards. That is, if you want the hash marks to match up with your bullet. But most people just use them as approximate POI as they either don't have the same length barrel or the same round that the BDC was made for. The marks are usually pretty right on out to 400 yards anyway....after that, the bullets will begin to get further off the hash marks when using different bullets or different length barrels.
Old 02-08-2013, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
It really depends on the version that you have. Most, if not all ACOGs with a BDC are intended to be zero'd at 100 yards. That is, if you want the hash marks to match up with your bullet. But most people just use them as approximate POI as they either don't have the same length barrel or the same round that the BDC was made for. The marks are usually pretty right on out to 400 yards anyway....after that, the bullets will begin to get further off the hash marks when using different bullets or different length barrels.

I was referring to this thread from another site but as I read it again it looks like it is geared more towards those with a circle dot reticle.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=18&t=152794
Old 02-08-2013, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo99 View Post
For any 300 AAC blackout fans, Trijicon is going to release a TA33 with a 300Blk reticle. It has an interesting reticle as the BDC is marked for both super and subsonic rounds

Saw that on the Trijicon site. I have a .300 Noveske coming in and will look at this option also for optics. Not many right now for the .300 out there that give both sub and super BDC. Although out here in Cali where everyone always complains about noise levels, for some reason suppressors are illegal so I don't think I will be using much sub sonic ammo as they are not that reliable firing subs without a suppressor from the research that I have been reading here and there.
Old 02-08-2013, 8:25 PM

Thanks for the great review! Helped me decide on the TA31F-G!
Old 02-10-2013, 8:22 PM

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:29 AM

Thanks for the great write up. Between your post a few other reviews out there on the net, I decided to go to a local shop and check out the TA11e.

At first I was on a lunch break, so I just wanted to check it out quickly and make sure it smells as good as everyone says. Unfortunately, I looked through it at a target that was 'too close', so it was a bit blurry.. (I read some stuff online, stating someone had a similar experience, which he thought had to do with his prescription glasses he was wearing) - coulda been....

Went in today, and had the same problem. Then... the guy told me to acquire a target at 50yards, and the clarity was krispy kreme! I immediately purchased! So ya, I'm an acog newb.. I hope this helps someone in the same boat!
Old 03-03-2013, 6:17 PM
Veteran Member

I don't know the exact distance that the reticle and the target become clear....parallax is likely set at 100 yards, but probably won't see negative effects from around 25 yards and further. Anything inside of that and you will likely need to focus your eyes on either the reticle or on the target.

If you know how to use the bindin aiming concept, the reticle is actually crisp along with the target as the target uses your non-dominant eye to get sight picture. It is actually ideal to occlude the image through the scope so you only see the reticle and a black background, but lots of people don't have flip caps with their acog, so that isnt easily done.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:54 PM

Can the fiber be changed from green to red?
Old 03-07-2013, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDigitalPicasso View Post
Can the fiber be changed from green to red?
I believe it can since I know trijicon can replace a broken/cloudy fiber optic tube.

You can also have your reticle switched if you want.
Old 03-07-2013, 4:04 PM
Banned

Great review. I have 2 TA11's and they are great. One thing you missed. The color of the tritium.

GREEN= Brightest glow after sun goes down.
Red/yellow/blue/= faintest glow and are not as bright as the green.

Steel at 650yds and yes its actually an easy hit.

Last edited by problemchild; 03-07-2013 at 4:06 PM..
Old 03-12-2013, 8:10 AM

my bias write-up:

any ta11 in green.
Old 03-16-2013, 1:28 AM

Nice write up.

I've had two TA31s, a TA01 and earlier today bought a TA11H-G. Maybe this will be the one I finally hold on to.
Old 03-16-2013, 8:37 PM
Veteran Member

I've been tempted lately to try and sell my TA31F + DOC to try out an Elcan OS4X. Dont think anyone has any of those in stock locally, so I cant see it in person. I would love to see them side by side.

Dont think I would sell my TA11. I still love the TA31 too, but the eye relief does sometimes leave more to be desired.
Old 03-26-2013, 7:13 PM

The Elcan has better glass view in my opinion and the red dot cross hair is nice. I went TA11 just because of the no batteries, proven combat experience ACOG has and slightly less weight. Along with reading this nice review. You can't go wrong with the Elcan though either. It is very nice.
Old 03-29-2013, 9:08 PM
Veteran Member

I just ordered a TA31RCOM150CP and a RM05.

I just couldn't stop scratching that Acog itch.

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74HgbjSCLM
Old 03-30-2013, 3:18 PM

Hey OP, I am looking for a 300 blackout scope. The 300 ACOG should be the same as your Ta33 review but have you had a chance to play with this one yet at all?
Old 03-30-2013, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

Tagged and thanks.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
Hey OP, I am looking for a 300 blackout scope. The 300 ACOG should be the same as your Ta33 review but have you had a chance to play with this one yet at all?
Sorry for the wait on the response....i've had a few very busy weeks!

I havent tried the 300 AAC version on any ACOG, but the function of the acog with different reticles will not be any different as far as my opinions on its' best uses and intended roles as laid out in posts 1-3. The reticle might exhibit slightly different sizes and certainly different lengths between hash marks, but other than that, they will be used in the same roles, have the same glass, quality of construction, etc. So everything that you read about the TA33 will apply to the TA33-300AAC (or whatever the model it).
Old 04-16-2013, 7:42 PM

Thank you very much for the comparison! Since I'm new to he rifle scene I'm happy that you posted something like this to get my mind thinking on what i would be using my scope for. Bottom line is for me, is that I have to try it in person! Thanks again!
Old 04-28-2013, 1:51 PM

Thank you for the initial information/review AND for following up on the subsequent comments. Your continued dedication is much appreciated.

***New CCI Mini-Mag & CCI Stand Velocity .22LR, IE***
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...9#post27819329

***WTB: CZ 457 MTR .22LR & more, IE/OC***
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...3#post27889673

Last edited by CitizenSailor; 04-28-2013 at 1:53 PM..
Old 04-28-2013, 5:11 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

WoW!

That is the most comprehensive and informative optic review I've even read from a non-pro... and in fact, that could easily be a pro review (the addition of GIFs to accompany review really helps direct comparison - nice touch!)

Thanks for taking the time to go into so much detail... I haven't really been in the market for an ACOG - but I must say, I'm more intrigued now... and if I do end up considering purchase, this review is very helpful in making a decision.

Thumbs up!
Old 05-02-2013, 9:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
WoW!

That is the most comprehensive and informative optic review I've even read from a non-pro... and in fact, that could easily be a pro review (the addition of GIFs to accompany review really helps direct comparison - nice touch!)

Thanks for taking the time to go into so much detail... I haven't really been in the market for an ACOG - but I must say, I'm more intrigued now... and if I do end up considering purchase, this review is very helpful in making a decision.

Thumbs up!
Thank you (and everyone else) for the kind words about the write-up.

I'd actually like to take new and better pics, but time is not allowing me to do that at the moment.
Old 05-05-2013, 5:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice job. Maybe a RMR and the likes for next review ?
Old 05-13-2013, 9:15 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks
Appreciated the hard work. The review was very helpful.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Superb write up. I think all CalGunners will agree that this commitment to helping others is under appreciated and without the appropriate recognition. So thank you.

I was initially torn between the Elcan and the ACOG on my last build and went with a Elcan Specter DR 1-4(superb optic, but a tad heavy). Finally completed a lightweight Noveske build and went with the EO Tech EXPS 3-0 for reasons of weight, unlimited eye relief and quick short range target acquisition. But like you said, once you get accustomed to quality glass and laser sharp reticle, all others will disappoint greatly. So, mostly because of your work, just bought a nice lightly used TA31H. Someone wise said "buy once, cry once" , should have listened. Anyways....thanks agin for your work.
Old 05-22-2013, 9:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxVeritasVita View Post
Superb write up. I think all CalGunners will agree that this commitment to helping others is under appreciated and without the appropriate recognition. So thank you.

I was initially torn between the Elcan and the ACOG on my last build and went with a Elcan Specter DR 1-4(superb optic, but a tad heavy). Finally completed a lightweight Noveske build and went with the EO Tech EXPS 3-0 for reasons of weight, unlimited eye relief and quick short range target acquisition. But like you said, once you get accustomed to quality glass and laser sharp reticle, all others will disappoint greatly. So, mostly because of your work, just bought a nice lightly used TA31H. Someone wise said "buy once, cry once" , should have listened. Anyways....thanks agin for your work.
Thank you, sir. And congrats on your purchase! If you domt mind the eye relief, I think you will LOVE it. I know I do mine

I haven't really advertised it (until now ), but I started up a website called www.FirearmReviews.net so I could post up all of my product reviews. It's pretty much a blog style'd site at the moment, but I would eventually like to turn it into a place where people can post up their own reviews too. There's just really not a central place where people can go to find information on virtually any product that is shooting related. I certainly wont be able to undertake such a task by myself, but if I can help someone out with certain products for the time being, like posted in this review, I surely will
Old 06-03-2013, 1:39 PM
Made in the USA

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!
Default TA31 $990 Shipped

red-dot-scopes has TA31F on sale for $989.91 shipped:

http://www.red-dot-scopes.com/trijic...x32-ta31f.html

use code: TA31F
Old 06-20-2013, 1:57 AM
Calguns Addict

I just picked up a TA31.

In comparison to the TA11, you definitely notice the shorter eye relief- mine has to be shot with the nose-to-charging-handle hold.
Not a problem on .223, but something to think about on larger calibers.

I read somewhere that by shifting your head back, it will shrink the field of view to TA11 dimensions at the same eye relief- yes and no.

With head moved back, I see some distortion and toilet rolling at the edges- quite distracting.

That said- I like both, but I still like the TA11 a bit better. It has a more generous region of 'good view' within the longer eye relief. The TA31 is smaller and lighter, so both have their good points.

-Dave

PS- Optics planet has their TA31F-G on sale for 1000-something. If you apply their 10% coupon, it can be yours delivered for $916
Old 06-21-2013, 6:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki302 View Post
I just picked up a TA31.

In comparison to the TA11, you definitely notice the shorter eye relief- mine has to be shot with the nose-to-charging-handle hold.
Not a problem on .223, but something to think about on larger calibers.

I read somewhere that by shifting your head back, it will shrink the field of view to TA11 dimensions at the same eye relief- yes and no.

With head moved back, I see some distortion and toilet rolling at the edges- quite distracting.

That said- I like both, but I still like the TA11 a bit better. It has a more generous region of 'good view' within the longer eye relief. The TA31 is smaller and lighter, so both have their good points.

-Dave

PS- Optics planet has their TA31F-G on sale for 1000-something. If you apply their 10% coupon, it can be yours delivered for $916
Congrats on the TA31!

I have an identical opinion on the matter, although I dont require a nose-2-charging handle head position if I decide to move the ACOG back a few steps

I also agree that putting your eye further back than the ideal eye relief length causes issues. It works, yes. However, the edges of the glass does fringe and gets "soft".....it's not a crisp, edge to edge view like when in the ideal eye relief range. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the toilet rolling distortion.....never seen that effect before. Maybe I shouldnt inquire about it so that I remain ignorant and never see/notice it! Hah!

In the end, I think Trijicon needs to make a TA11 with a smaller footprint! Not sure why they had to make it so big....I think it would have been ideal if it was the size of a TA31 but had all the same specs of the TA11. It would be a definite winner in my book But as it is, they are both pretty dang good.

Last edited by goodlookin1; 06-21-2013 at 1:18 PM..
Old 06-21-2013, 8:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Goodlookin1, thank you so much for this thread.
Old 06-21-2013, 4:39 PM
Veteran Member

Hey no problem!

Oh and sorry the pictures were down....I recently switched servers and I had forgotten to switch the picture links to point to the new server.

Last edited by goodlookin1; 06-21-2013 at 4:44 PM..
Old 06-26-2013, 1:31 AM
Calguns Addict

I suspect the size of the optic has something to do with eye relief, and the range where the picture is sharp and in focus. I have a Nightforce 5.5-22x, and the eye relief is fantastic, but the scope is HUGE. Perfect for .50 BMG

Considering the size of the objective, my Nikon Tactical is still brighter with same 30mm tube and smaller objective- but the Nikon has nowhere near as generous eye relief (needed on .50s).

-Dave
Old 06-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Great write up. Do you have any height over bore issues with the RMR mounted on top of the ACOG?
Old 06-26-2013, 8:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saki302 View Post
I suspect the size of the optic has something to do with eye relief, and the range where the picture is sharp and in focus. I have a Nightforce 5.5-22x, and the eye relief is fantastic, but the scope is HUGE. Perfect for .50 BMG

Considering the size of the objective, my Nikon Tactical is still brighter with same 30mm tube and smaller objective- but the Nikon has nowhere near as generous eye relief (needed on .50s).

-Dave
I think there are quite a few factors that go into the final specs of a scope. Size can be one, but more important is the radius of the glass, distance from ocular from objective, mm measurement, etc.

There are lots of scopes out there that are the TA31 size that have better eye relief.....but a much weaker field of view. It's typically going to be a trade off unless you have a HUGE ocular lens and a large exit pupil.

I have some binoculars that have a 426 ft fov at 1000 yards. To compare, the TA31 has a 36.8 ft fov which is considered on the very high end for a 4x. My binos are 8x (higher magnification = smaller field of view) at 100 yards are 42.6 ft! Double the magnification and 15.7% increase in FOV over the TA31. Mind you, your eye has to be practically TOUCHING glass to see the entire fov with my binos, which obviously wouldnt work for a scope unless you love having raccoon eye

Out of curiosity, which Nikon do you have? I'd venture a guess that it has less magnification than your Nightforce due to it being brighter (more magnification = smaller exit pupil = dimmer image, generally speaking)
Old 06-26-2013, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
Great write up. Do you have any height over bore issues with the RMR mounted on top of the ACOG?
Thank you

I personally dont have any issues. I suppose up close, the POI with the RMR is going to be anywhere from 4" to 2" low. I zero'd it at 200 and adjust accordingly. I was hitting a 200 yard gong every time with ease while standing. It's an accurate little bugger. However, now that you mention it, I think I might zero it at 25 or 50 due to the fact that it is meant for CQB.....the scope is much better suited for the 200 yard stuff.

One other feature that I really like about the RMR that I have not yet mentioned is that when on top, you can scan through it for targets and put the reticle in the general vicinity of a distance target. Then you quickly transition to the scope view and the reticle is already right on target. Basically for me, it is quicker to scan and point with the RMR and then transition to the scope for firing, instead of searching through the scope for your target and then firing. This is more for snap-shooting anyway.....if your doing calculated distance shots, the scope will be better for everything, including target acquisition. This is my experience, anyway.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 06-28-2013, 1:34 AM
Calguns Addict

My Nikon is the Tactical 4-16 model (30mm Tube, 50mm objective I think)- now they call it the "Monarch X" line. The Nightforce is a 5.5-22x (56mm obj?), and the Leupold was the VX3 tactical M3 3.5-10X (40mm obj).

We tested them all at 10X to keep it fair

I am continually impressed by Nikon glass. Even their low range stuff is nice compared to other low range scopes.

I rarely use the full magnification of the Nightforce. When shooting at the 1000-1700 yard targets in the desert with the 50, I found I liked 16-18X the best- you could recover in time to see the impacts. There was too much heat mirage to take advantage of 22x anyways,.

-Dave
Old 06-28-2013, 5:38 AM
Veteran Member

That is really interesting!

Brightness is a combination of, typically, 3 things:

1) Glass quality
2) Glass coatings
3) Exit pupil/objective size

Being that Nightforce is an Alpha, I am really surprise to hear you say that the Nikon was brighter at 10x: Basically, if the NF has a 56mm objective, then at 10x the exit pupil was 5.6mm. The Nikon at 10x with a 50mm objective would have been 5mm.

In the daytime, this difference might not matter much because your pupil would have been smaller than both 5.6mm or 5mm, making it so there is more light coming into your eye than you could take advantage of. But at night, our pupils can open up to 7mm on average, trying to allow as much light in as possible. You might notice a difference at dusk or dawn....

But then after adding in glass quality and coatings, things become much less straight forward.
Old 06-28-2013, 6:51 AM

Thanks for this great thread.

I can't wait to try the TA31CH and RM01 I just got. Will be heading out to friend's ranch next weekend.

From reading your review/comparison, I was all for the TA11 but wanted that extra 1x since I'm already running a 3x setup. Hope it was a good decision... we'll see.
Old 07-04-2013, 3:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dut View Post
Thanks for this great thread.

I can't wait to try the TA31CH and RM01 I just got. Will be heading out to friend's ranch next weekend.

From reading your review/comparison, I was all for the TA11 but wanted that extra 1x since I'm already running a 3x setup. Hope it was a good decision... we'll see.
Awesome! I think you'll really like it.

How did it work out for you?