Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-26-2013, 8:18 PM

Default Glock 23 hang up

I went shooting the other day with my Glock 23 and the trigger would not reset. I would pull the trigger back and then it would stay there and not go forward. I ejected the round and found the firing pin hit the primer but the round did not go off. I checked to see if the gun was dirty but it wasn't horrible. Has anyone had this problem?
Old 05-26-2013, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

let me guess.... reloads?
Old 05-26-2013, 8:27 PM

Nope brand new ammo out of the box. One failure with Remington and multiple failures with fiocchi
Old 05-26-2013, 8:33 PM

How old is your 23? Are you the original buyer or second or possibly third owner of it? Just curious on rounds through it. It's rare to happen unless the gun has been fired a lot, but the striker spring could be wearing down. Also, last time you cleaned it, it's possible some carbon could have fallen into the striker chamber which could cause a hang up for light primer strikes.
Old 05-26-2013, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D53 View Post
How old is your 23? Are you the original buyer or second or possibly third owner of it? Just curious on rounds through it. It's rare to happen unless the gun has been fired a lot, but the striker spring could be wearing down. Also, last time you cleaned it, it's possible some carbon could have fallen into the striker chamber which could cause a hang up for light primer strikes.
original owner and probably a little over 500 rounds have been through it. I heard that glock doesn't suggest you clean it until you have fired at least 500 rounds.
Old 05-26-2013, 8:38 PM
Veteran Member

CLEAN YOUR GUN! Buy new spring and pin. If you have to put oil in there just a small drop and wipe. Make sure there is never any foul, carbon, grease or heavy lubricant in the pin compartment.
Old 05-26-2013, 8:43 PM

I WILL! I normally clean all of my guns after shooting but didn't do it thinking it was part of the breaking in process. I was wondering if that's all it is.
Old 05-26-2013, 8:43 PM

So only about 500 rounds through the gun. Has it only been in the last 100 rounds or last range trip that you have seen these issues? Have you detail stripped the gun since the last time you went to the range?

Only reason I'm asking is just in case you did a detail strip and possibly when pulling out the striker you might have lost or popped out of place one of the spring cups for the striker spring.

Other then an issue with the striker spring, striker channel, or a bent (highly unlikely) chipped striker; the only other issue I could think of would be hard primers or bad primers due to ammo. But you stated that you used two different brands of ammo and had light primer strikes on both of them.
Old 05-26-2013, 8:48 PM

I didn't disassemble the gun before this last trip to the range and the previous trips everything worked great. Around 300 rounds I was playing around with the gun just to figure out how to take the top slide off and took it off and then put it back on but no disassembly other than that.
Old 05-26-2013, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob86 View Post
I WILL! I normally clean all of my guns after shooting but didn't do it thinking it was part of the breaking in process. I was wondering if that's all it is.
I am not a Glock expert or a gunsmith, but with all my Glocks that I have owned (only 9) which included new, used, and agency trade ins, I have never had an issue with light primer strikes. Also never had to have a break in period, usually just pick up the pistol and shoot it for about a thousand rounds and clean it. My primary on my CCW is a super dirty G19 that has run flawlessly since day one. Maybe I am a lucky Glock owner, but I don't think cleaning is the issue, unless like stated previously, debris or carbon got into the striker chamber when cleaning.
Old 05-26-2013, 9:04 PM

It sounds like what's happening to your Glock is the same thing that happens when you install the Rocket kit and don't shave down the trigger connector far enough. I would suggest detail stripping your weapon, and specifically check the integrity of the trigger connector and the connector spring.
Old 05-27-2013, 6:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
I went shooting the other day with my Glock 23 and the trigger would not reset. I would pull the trigger back and then it would stay there and not go forward. I ejected the round and found the firing pin hit the primer but the round did not go off. I checked to see if the gun was dirty but it wasn't horrible. Has anyone had this problem?
Assuming you have no aftermarket parts in your gun, trigger reset and light primer strikes are 2 different problems, neither which have anything to do with your low round count or uncleaned gun. The most common cause of failure to reset is a broken reset spring, 2nd is a small piece of either plastic flash or brash shaving gets jammed in the connector to cruciform interface. Light primer strikes can be high primers, hard primers, debris on the striker spotface, or a weak striker spring. It is not due to a chipped or bent striker. The strikers will go for over 100,000 rounds with little noticeable wear.

I would pull the inspection plate off and clean the striker bore and spotface, then pull the striker spring off the striker and put it next to a new one to see if it has compressed. Also pull the trigger group out and check for debris. Always put a drop of oil at the cruciform/connector interface.
Old 05-27-2013, 6:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontClaire View Post
CLEAN YOUR GUN! Buy new spring and pin. If you have to put oil in there just a small drop and wipe. Make sure there is never any foul, carbon, grease or heavy lubricant in the pin compartment.
Pin compartment??? Do you even own a Glock?

There are only 3 pins on a G23, 2 steel pins that go thru the locking block and one plastic one thru the back of the trigger group.

The striker is not a 'pin', it's a striker. And you never put any oil anywhere near the striker bore spotface.

This is not about a dirty gun, I typically run over 15,000 - 18,000 rounds before cleaning the top end. 70,000 plus on this one G17

Old 05-27-2013, 12:38 PM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Even though the ammo was factory, given the scarcity if components I find "hard" primers to be a lot more common these days which in turn results in misfires a lot more often.

Did you try loading the round again, and letting the gun have another go at it?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:10 PM

Just following up, you figure out what the problem was?
Old 05-28-2013, 1:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Unless I am not understanding how OP is trying to explain it, it seems the firearm is not the issue.

The trigger did not reset because the round didn't fire...
Dry fire a GLOCK, and the trigger stays to the back.
Same thing when you have a round that does not go off.
To reset the trigger on a GLOCK it needs to cycle either by the round going off forcing it do so or manually pulling back the slide.

If it had a primer hit and your trigger locked back then the pistol is working how it should.(unless its a light strike issue)
Sounds like a primer / ammo issue.
Old 05-28-2013, 2:07 PM

I did put one of the rounds that didn't go off in my g23 and it went off and the trigger reset. I'm going to try some of my Winchester ammo and see if it does the same thing.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:58 AM

I went to the range last night and tried out the G23 again but with different ammo. I used the blazer ammo and it worked great. The ammo I used before must of had really hard primers.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 AM

I thought I had dirty glocks.... HOLY MoLEy! looks like the inside of a old disassembled car engine
Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I did put one of the rounds that didn't go off in my g23 and it went off and the trigger reset. I'm going to try some of my Winchester ammo and see if it does the same thing.
You have a fundamental misunderstanding about how your weapon works.

The trigger on a glock can ONLY be reset if the slide is cycled. So if that event doesnt happen, then the trigger won't be reset.
I was on a ride-along, and the officer i was with saw a parked car with occupants. He was going up to ask them to move their car and as soon as he gets to the window the passenger says "I have meth under my seat."

I've never understood the self-confessors....
Old 06-28-2013, 2:38 PM

Your Glock is not the problem, it sounds like it is working fine. You have bad ammo. With the amount of ammo being produced right now the quality of all brands have gone down greatly. If you are in the Bay Area I can show you how to fully disassemble and reassemble your Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2013, 3:01 PM

I didn't hear about that before and thought something was up with my gun. That's why I posted it up.
Old 06-28-2013, 5:26 PM

Glad your G23 is working fine.
I love all mine.