Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > San Jose Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2014, 3:49 PM

Default San Jose rent help/advice appreciated!

Updated 6/10 with another question:
1. Can someone give me a good rundown on traffic times on the South Bay Area freeways? Good side streets to keep in mind to get across town? I do plan on going down for a week in July to put out advertisement and drive throughout the area and get a feel for the roads but any help beforehand would be awesome.

Hi,

My wife, soon to be born son, and I currently rent out a family member's house near Sacramento but will be moving down to San Jose within a few months for my new job and we're new when it comes to renting an apartment or studio. Anywhere in San Jose and the surrounding cities, 1br, bath, and kitchen. We just looked last night until 1am on Craigslist and wow..decent places were starting at $1300 and went up from there! In sac it's a sweet $750 and up. Any advice or help on safe areas, good location, and maybe past complexes you've rented from are greatly appreciated!

Also,
My wife's uncle runs a tile & grout install/cleaning/maintenance business in Sac and he recently purchased the franchise in San Jose so I'm the body he needed down there to run it. Discounts for CG members! Time to renew that counter or shower your wife keeps nagging you about :-)

Last edited by ffemt; 06-10-2014 at 3:47 PM..
Old 05-30-2014, 5:04 PM

I've lived in Willow Glen most of my life, but have also lived in Almaden Valley and Downtown San Jose. Taking into account your wife and future baby I'd say the best and safest areas to live in, but will also cost more are the Rose Garden, Willow Glen and Almaden. On the other end of the spectrum are Downtown (north and east side), Burbank, the area around Senter Rd./Story Rd. and Alum Rock. In between you will find places like Santa Teresa, some of the South Downtown like Naglee Park and others.

But if you want to feel the safest for your family when your not home, Willow Glen and Almaden are tough to beat.

Good luck with looking!
Old 05-30-2014, 6:56 PM

Thank you, that's a big head start in the search.
Old 05-31-2014, 9:46 AM

What part of town is your new job located in? One thing to watch out for is commute options, might help make the decision between two decent areas.

For example, most of the stuff along 85 is in decent neighborhoods, getting nicer as you go farther south and get closer to the hills. But, 85 sucks during commute hours, so it helps if you can find somewhere you can use the local expressways (Lawrence, San Tomas, etc) to get to where you need to.
Old 05-31-2014, 9:54 AM

For the location anywhere central would be preferred such as near the airport where the storage unit will be. I'll be running a crew that gathers equipment there before rush hour to use at their jobs and from there I may head back to the apartment and schedule jobs or be driving throughout town giving quotes. Occasionally one of the techs will need extra tools I need to grab and that's when it would be nice to have quick access to the highways. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2014, 2:12 PM

cool, sounds like you might get to dodge most of the traffic peaks then. Sunnyvale has some nice areas in it, though the schools aren't as good -- but that means it's cheaper. Cupertino is the opposite. 280N gets bad in the morning, South bad in the evening. Same for 85. Dunno too much about 880 within San Jose, but up in the east bay it bogs down. 101 is terrible during traffic hours in general, but ok well outside of commute hours (like, before 3PM!).
Old 06-10-2014, 3:47 PM

Thanks for all the help so far! Updated with a question on traffic times
Old 06-10-2014, 5:20 PM

I take 17/880 N every morning just before 8 AM. It's been plugging up lately right by the 280 interchange because a lot more people are getting on 280 N there these days.

All of the expressways are bad going north in the morning (san tomas , almaden, capitol, & lawrence) and the reverse direction in the afternoon. There's really no side streets you can take at rush hour that aren't slow, the freeways are most likely your best bet unless it's 101.
Basically as long as you don't have drive around during rush hour you'll be fine.
Old 06-10-2014, 5:31 PM
Rattlesnake Hunter
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Born and raised in San Jose; lived there 40 years, most of my adult life in Willow Glen area. However I know the greater South Bay like back of my hand.

Moved the HALE away from there 18 years ago, thank you Lord, thank you Jesus

I have only three (3) points of advise for you and your family on where to live...,

1. Stay OUT of East San Jose
2. Stay OUT of East San Jose
3. Stay OUT of East San Jose

There... that should otter do it.

NOTE: I agree with Wild West post (above)... good post.
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel
Old 06-10-2014, 7:05 PM

What ever you stay away from almaden terrace appts. They are horrible. People will park in your spots and then it takes forever to get a tow the rooms are super small, they have floor heaters so it does not heat very well and the single pain windows let the heat or cold out and the neighbors were loud at least mine were and my rent was $1650 for a 2 bedroom on the second floor.
Old 06-11-2014, 4:15 AM

Taking down notes, thanks so far!

I was asked if other cities near SJ would work and I'd say anywhere within 10-15 miles of the airport would be good.

At first my brother and I will be doing all the estimates and actual work. Once I have workers under me then I my job will be doing bids, running tools and a helping hand where needed so having my apartment nearby for down time, taking phone calls, scheduling will be beneficial in case I need to split and make a run.

Also, here in sac we meet up at the shop for tools at 8ish... Then start actual work at 9am to 3-4pm or a tech will do one job till 12pm and then travel to their next job by 1pm. How do those start and mid day travel times correspond with Bay Area traffic?
Old 06-11-2014, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffemt View Post
Taking down notes, thanks so far!

I was asked if other cities near SJ would work and I'd say anywhere within 10-15 miles of the airport would be good.

At first my brother and I will be doing all the estimates and actual work. Once I have workers under me then I my job will be doing bids, running tools and a helping hand where needed so having my apartment nearby for down time, taking phone calls, scheduling will be beneficial in case I need to split and make a run.

Also, here in sac we meet up at the shop for tools at 8ish... Then start actual work at 9am to 3-4pm or a tech will do one job till 12pm and then travel to their next job by 1pm. How do those start and mid day travel times correspond with Bay Area traffic?
Anytime around 8 or 9 AM in the morning and you're going to be dealing with the brunt of the morning rush hour commute. In San Jose at that time, most of the heavy freeway traffic will be going North on 280, 101, 85, 87, and 880. 3-4 PM is not bad for the afternoon commute, but the traffic will start increasing at that time up until after 6 PM. Driving around anywhere here mid-day would be the easiest, 10 AM to 3 PM.

Just remember that San Jose is where a lot of the tech commuters live and also work. It's also the largest city in the Bay Area. Traffic here isn't as bad as it is in LA, but it's not the easiest to navigate around in either when it gets heavy during commute times. If you have specific questions just fire away. Like a lot of the other posters in this thread, I was born and raised here in San Jose and I've lived here all my life.
Old 06-12-2014, 6:54 AM

Default San Jose rent help/advice appreciated!

How's living in the farther cities like San Mateo, San Carlos, Redwood City, Fremont, possibly even Pleasanton? Prices any more decent?
Old 06-12-2014, 7:12 AM

Milpitas and mountain view might be good options, you would be going against traffic.
Old 06-12-2014, 7:15 AM

Copy, will look into those too. Also, what tools/sources have you guys used in the past to find decent apartments? So far my wife and I use Craigslist and a few other search websites online which aren't that great. CL seems to bring up the best matches thus far.
Old 06-12-2014, 8:19 AM

Quote:
How's living in the farther cities like San Mateo, San Carlos, Redwood City, Fremont, possibly even Pleasanton? Prices any more decent?
The only one of the other cities that may be cheaper is Fremont, and even then it will be in a bad neighborhood. Just to give you an idea of how bad the commute is here, I'll describe my commute.

I live on the border of SJ/Campbell and I work in Santa Clara pretty close to the SJC airport. My commute is about 11 miles and it takes me 30 minutes minimum to get to and from work during the weekdays. That time will go up to about 40-45 minutes if the commute is really bad. Honestly, if you're planning on putting your shop by the airport it's best to live as close as possible to your shop.
Old 06-12-2014, 9:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliboysj View Post
Anytime around 8 or 9 AM in the morning and you're going to be dealing with the brunt of the morning rush hour commute. In San Jose at that time, most of the heavy freeway traffic will be going North on 280, 101, 85, 87, and 880. 3-4 PM is not bad for the afternoon commute, but the traffic will start increasing at that time up until after 6 PM. Driving around anywhere here mid-day would be the easiest, 10 AM to 3 PM.
THIS!

Quote:
Don't bother. Fremont to SJ has 880/680 traffic. Pleasanton, your option is 680/84. 84 is going through construction, but still pinches before Sunol grade
and traffic is ****ty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolkopter View Post
Milpitas and mountain view might be good options, you would be going against traffic.
*may* be your best option of the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliboysj View Post
Honestly, if you're planning on putting your shop by the airport it's best to live as close as possible to your shop.
This too.

To give you and idea of my situation, I live off the Alameda and Newhall by the airport. I take 880N in the morning to my job in Milpitas by the Great Mall. Takes me at most 20 minutes (usually because of 101/880 interchange traffic)
Afternoon, I don't bother 880 for the most part. I'll take Montague/Trimble/De LaCruz/to the Alameda.

You can check the fringe of Rose Garden and SJ/Santa Clara Border. However, since SJ/Santa Clara border is close to Santa Clara U, you'll get a lot of college influence in the surrounding apartment complexes.

I used to rent in a duplex in Santa Clara off Lafayette, in the "Old Quad" area. That may be a place to look too.

Good luck and feel free to PM if you have additional questions.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
I moved out here in 2001. The company I worked for set me up with a guy who showed me the area and gave me an idea of apartment pricing. What he told me then holds true today. The real estate market out here is so well defined, that you'll get what you pay for. You can get better prices on homes, but there are trade-offs in some way, shape, or form. Either you're farther away from cities, have worse traffic, worse neighborhoods, smaller homes... whatever. I realize this sounds very obvious, but it bears repeating. Understand your priorities, and what concessions you're willing to make.

I'll also vouch for living in the Willow Glen area. I lived at Bascom + Southwest Expy in San Jose for a few years and had a good time there. There are lots of apartments in that area. They weren't too expensive and were reasonably nice. The Pruneyard shopping center in Campbell was a short walk away. For your commute, it would be workable. The property I lived in was older and was subject to rent control laws, so our rent never went up. Since I moved, the VTA put in a rail line outside.

I also suggest Milpitas if you have to head to the airport in the morning. You'll be going against traffic on 880. I would not suggest staying any farther up the east bay (Fremont, Pleasanton, etc) or else you hit all the 880/680 south traffic in the morning. The first place I called home was a corporate apartment which was just down the road from the airport. Look at apartments around Brokaw Rd. at Oakland St. in San Jose.

Many peninsula neighborhoods are considered more desirable which reflects in the price increase. You'll also face a bigger traffic hurdle going down 101. I do not suggest living in San Mateo, San Carlos, RWC if you're new to the area and need to head to SJC airport every morning. Yuck!

Here is my overall philosophy that I recommend you consider - if you're really concerned with how the traffic is going to impact your commute/work routine, then find a place that is closer to your primary job site for at least the first 6-9 months. In your case this sounds like the airport. It may cost a little more, however you will save time, gas, stress, sleep/health, and frustration. Once you get settled and get a better understanding of the traffic patterns, you may feel more comfortable looking to explore nearby areas.
Old 06-16-2014, 3:33 PM

To all that have posted so far, my wife and I truly appreciate all the help and advice! It seems like its a hot market as apartments that we saw a few days ago are already taken? Hopefully that's not the case. How do these showings usually work especially when the ad states ONLY 1 LEFT.. do a bunch of people show up and whoever is the highest bidder takes the apartment? She really likes this one, just waiting for the lady to call me back...reminds us of Downtown Sac:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/4523798071.html

I've googled it but I'm all ears too if you guys have any key questions to ask the landlord that maybe saved you a horrible couple months of living.

For anyone still subscribed to this thread, what are the best places to shoot in the area.. both ranges indoor/outdoor and open areas where legal?

Thanks!

Last edited by ffemt; 06-16-2014 at 3:38 PM..
Old 06-17-2014, 12:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It is a hot market for apartments. A high tech influence draws many to live in the area. There isn't bidding as I'm aware of, the property manager will screen who s/he likes and depending on how fast deposits are received and background checks go, then the fastest usually goes to them.

I went to SJSU so I recall the area. Santa Clara and 11th street is a busy intersection. you will get a lot of traffic day and night. IIRC, 11th street is one-way going northbound. Parking may be an issue, if there isn't a parking garage. Street parking is the norm there, and it may be difficult to find a spot if you have more than one vehicle and/or a truck.

You have Reed's in Santa Clara (I go there), or Target Masters in Milpitas (I refuse to go there after ****ty customer service when trying to purchase my first handgun).

for outdoor, I like going to metcalf: http://www.yelp.com/biz/field-sports...range-san-jose

good luck.
Old 06-17-2014, 2:55 PM

+1 for Reeds and -1 for Target Masters (as in, agreeing with carb1a4h), from personal experience.

I have heard good things about http://sunnyvalegunclub.com, http://chabotgunclub.com, and http://www.sccgov.org/sites/parks/pa...orts-Park.aspx, but not yet had the opportunity to try them. Hopefully soon!
Old 06-20-2014, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carb1a4h View Post
It is a hot market for apartments. A high tech influence draws many to live in the area. There isn't bidding as I'm aware of, the property manager will screen who s/he likes and depending on how fast deposits are received and background checks go, then the fastest usually goes to them.

I went to SJSU so I recall the area. Santa Clara and 11th street is a busy intersection. you will get a lot of traffic day and night. IIRC, 11th street is one-way going northbound. Parking may be an issue, if there isn't a parking garage. Street parking is the norm there, and it may be difficult to find a spot if you have more than one vehicle and/or a truck.

You have Reed's in Santa Clara (I go there), or Target Masters in Milpitas (I refuse to go there after ****ty customer service when trying to purchase my first handgun).

for outdoor, I like going to metcalf: http://www.yelp.com/biz/field-sports...range-san-jose

good luck.

Metcalf.. My father used to take me there to dirt bike all the time before I moved when I was 12..good memories.

Thanks for all the advice guys! My wife and I are here in SJ to scope out some apartments Saturday. Wish us luck!
Old 06-21-2014, 6:40 PM

Quote:
I've googled it but I'm all ears too if you guys have any key questions to ask the landlord that maybe saved you a horrible couple months of living.
First, identify your geographic target - the specific neighborhoods where you want to live.

Second, compile a list on CL of properties in that area which suit your most critical housing needs (size, cost, amenities, parking, etc.) and reduce your list.

Third, print out your list and start calling. Take notes on each place you visit and if you're sure you like one, write them a deposit. When I first came here, my former roommate and I found a place we liked. We drove back to our apartments to get our check books and in that time, someone else came in and got the place. Lesson learned - bring your check book with you!

Fourth - JMO but I strongly suggest a short term lease that converts to monthly. This way you can move soon if you wind up hating the place.
Old 06-21-2014, 6:44 PM

Also, if you see an apartment complex on Google maps, just call them up and see if they have any current or upcoming vacancies. Sometimes a place won't remember to refresh a CL posting so it will drop off, or they might have a place ready to show but haven't posted it yet online.

Then ask if they know of any of nearby properties that are renting. Put them to work for you!
Old 06-21-2014, 9:00 PM

After a whole day of driving around in circles we really liked the "Park Kiely Apartments" off Saratoga and 280 which was the very last apartment complex we went to after losing hope with the rest. Easy freeway access, close to Santana Row, cool little neighborhood. I did some research and wow they have bad reviews. I'm taking them into consideration but they also have been taken over very recently by Greystar with completely new renovations throughout the complex. We had an awesome rep who we had a lot in common with, maybe partly him trying to get the sale, but I'm pretty sure there was some genuine stuff there. Got a full tour of the place and my wife just fell in love with it. $2080/month for a 1 bed 1 bath 763 sqft "Cedarville". and at the very end Phil the rep even gave us his copy of The Usual Suspects when I brought up House of Cards's Kevin Spacey and his ruthless acting. Awesome service and hopefully it stays that way. So far this apt complex is #1
Old 06-22-2014, 7:45 AM

I've lived in Silicon Valley for about 20 years now, and my experiences with apartments were sketchy - very expensive, and it's a total crap shoot whether your neighbors are cool or not. The better complexes are expensive - and the management tends to be rather draconian with respect to "keeping the place nice" and that can be good and bad. Long story short, we ended up getting out of the apartment world and rented cottages or in-law units on properties. There are a lot of those around, and they're nice in that you generally have a lot of privacy, few hassles with apartment life, and you can immediately tell if the landlord is cool or not. Definitely need to make sure the landlord is cool, though - renting someone's cottage brings you very close to their home, and it's a different relationship than with an apartment manager.

Regarding how fast things go - this is a hot market, and everyone who comes here gets sticker shock at the prices. It's not uncommon to see $2k a month 1br/1ba places that are OK, and if you try to find something in the $1500/mo. range, it's going to be in a crappy area or building and you might be miserable within three months.

As far as locations go, as long as you stay close to I-280, and don't go much more north than Los Altos, you should be fine.

Places to avoid: East Palo Alto (unless you like keeping a loaded weapon with you at all times), East San Jose, anything east of Fremont (horrible commute no matter what), and just about everything north of Atherton (commute issues, again).

Places that are generally good: Sunnyvale, some parts of San Jose, Mountain View (avoid Rengsdorf area), Palo Alto (awesome place but very expensive), Los Altos (expensive), Campbell, Los Gatos (in the hills), Cupertino (some parts are good - but up in the hills), and Saratoga.
Old 06-22-2014, 9:03 PM

Congrats on the new place. The commute to SJC shouldn't be too bad - though I would suggest city streets instead of the freeways. The flyover from S/B 280 to N/B 880/Stevens Creek sucks in general. It's a bad design, and can get congested very fast. There's been construction going on for years.
Old 08-09-2014, 5:13 PM

Hey guys,

If anyone is still subscribed to this thread here's our latest update.

We finally found a spot off Capitol Expressway/87 moving in next weekend.

Lastly, here are the minty business cards that just came in..will be operational very soon if anyone is interested! Thanks to everyone for all the Bay Area and apartment help!

Last edited by ffemt; 08-09-2014 at 9:21 PM..
Old 09-21-2014, 2:56 AM

I live right down the street. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Lucky for you Meridian crosses Capitol, so you might not have to deal with too much traffic, depending on what part of meridian your shop is on.

If you need help with locating anything in the area, let me know.