Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 2:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I like Target Masters in Milpitas (good prices and good service) and J&R Sports Supply in Livermore.
Old 03-09-2014, 2:58 PM

Anyone try US Firearms in Sunnyvale?
Old 03-09-2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW68 View Post
Anyone try US Firearms in Sunnyvale?
Been twice. Their Yelp page pretty much says it all for reviews from others and mine. A good shop for several reasons.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/us-firearms-co-sunnyvale
Old 03-11-2014, 2:40 PM

+1 for Eddie's.
Old 03-11-2014, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by den888 View Post
I like Target Masters in Milpitas (good prices and good service) .
Thank you for the coffee through my nose , good thing I have a spill proof keyboard.

You ever read some of the comments about them here ? how about their reviews on-line ?

Ever talk with a few of their ex-employees , there are plenty of them around .

Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.

Librarian " Calguns is not a 'general discussion board".
Old 03-26-2014, 4:02 PM

Imberts?? Thought they closed ..... are they still open??
Old 03-26-2014, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccar View Post
Here's a quick review of places I've been:

Eddie's Shooting Sports - Mountain View
Ricky and Greg are awesome to deal with. The place is small, but they treat you with respect with no EGO , even if you're a newbie. The prices are pretty good, and will often match the lowest you can find in the bay area.

J&R Sports Supply - Livermore
Their prices are on the low end of the bay, and treat you like a respected customer also. No EGOs here either.

Elite Armory - Castro Valley
They have good customer service, but the prices are on the high side.

Annie's Guns - Fremont
Some people think the old guys is a bit obnoxious, but you really just need to give him a chance and talk to him and ask him questions. He's very knowledgable. Instead of selling me a rifle, he suggested I start reloading to get the accuracy out of whatever rifle I'm going to buy later. I did, and it's one of the best advices I've gotten. Also, their prices are one of the lowest in the bay.

Target Masters West - Milpitas
The people working there are a bit less experienced, but because of that, they don't have much EGO, and it's not much of a hassle to purchase a gun there. The great thing is that their prices are almost always the lowest in the bay area. Not sure about that, try Eddy's before you buy. Eddy's takes online orders through gallery of guns at Internet pricing.

Reed's - Santa Clara
I bought my first gun there. Most people here have a ton of EGO, and seem to be impatient with newbies. The selection is good, prices are decent, but not the lowest. I would really try to avoid this place if you're a newbie. It's a buy and get out shop.

Solar Tactical - Livermore
They have decent customer service, but the prices are on the medium to high side.

City Arms East - Pleasant Hill
They have good customer service, great selection, and prices are mid range in the bay area.

I'd add:
Kerley's - Cupertino
Best long-range target knowledge in the area. Harry has classes on a private range out to 600 yards. Lots of speciality equipment for practical long range shooting. They are pricey, but I have still bout a couple of rifles from them because Harry spend 20-30 minutes with me selecting the right rifle and sharing techniques.

Gun Exchange - San Jose
If you are a true collector and are looking for rare weapons, this is the place. I was interested in a 2nd gen Colt SAA. They pulled 3 out the safe in back all LNIB and 1 was still in the box from 1955.

Imbert & Smithers - San Carlos
First rate shop. Big store with lots of guns ranging from antiques to new & used hunting to black guns. Big selection of cleaning supplies, safes, clothes, accessories, ammo, and reloading gear including Dillon presses in stock. Fair prices.
Other than Target Masters prices, I agree 100% with the list above.

-NordicDave
Old 04-17-2014, 11:27 PM

+1 for Eddy's. Gregg and Ricky are very helpful even when you are just in there kicking tires.
Old 04-22-2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
I have only had good experiences at City Arms East. Canyon Sports in Martinez is the pit of hell for customer service. Avoid like Ebola.
But... Dem prices... and Dat inventory... As long as you know what you want, they have it, and you have currency to exchange for it, they will treat you right.

"I find it extremely improbable that the Framers understood the Second Amendment to protect little more than carrying a gun from the bedroom to the kitchen."
Old 04-22-2014, 9:14 PM

I agree with target master gun prices. I found Alquist arms is the cheapest by far though it is a bit of a drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2014, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerettaFan View Post
Imberts?? Thought they closed ..... are they still open??

Yeah, still around. Prices are eh.. service is eh.. but in a pinch... they do.

- I believe in Safety ALWAYS. Bad things happen if you only do it first...
Old 05-09-2014, 6:09 AM

I've had pretty good experiences at Imbert. They gave me $120 off my Benelli M2 and it ended up being cheaper than the lowest Gunbroker price. When I got an M9, Alex, the owner, took off $75. So as a regular at any place gets you specials. Both times the discounts were on the spot and I didn't ask! Sometimes the staff can be twerky. Overall, Imbert is a thumbs up for me. You have to support the local shops. Otherwise it will only get harder.

They now have a good selection of ARs.

Peter at MT Pleasant is awesome as well.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Last edited by freebug; 05-09-2014 at 6:15 AM..
Old 05-18-2014, 7:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sportsmans Supply in Campbell has been the LGS where I've purchased the majority of my new handguns and long guns. If the don't have what I've been looking for on the shelf they will search the state looking for it. And they have come through every time so far.

There customer service requires an investment on the buyers part. Don't expect to walk in off the street and be treated like a Princess. This is a gun store, and unless you are a cute young lady, man up and learn something about what you are looking for before you walk into the store.

We do have the internet. And there is no excuse for not knowing the basics at the counter. It has to be tough to deal with newbies all the time thinking they will be purchasing a gun they can't, and taking it home today, they won't, and being angry at the LGS, and not the politicians.

Almost any shop can be good if you invest in the relationship. Buying guns isn't the same as anything else. You want a good partner who you can trust, because at the end of the day, your life, and the life of your family may very well depend on that relationship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
S&W Model 15 .38 revolver,
Colt M-16(Gun, Airborne Unit)
M-60 Machine Gun
Old 05-18-2014, 11:18 PM

I agree that Target Masters currently has the lowest prices of the stores I've visited in the Bay Area (most of them). Service is hit-or-miss. It's a busy shop and their workers tend to be less experienced (compared with some other shops that are manned by their owners). Their in-stock selection has been very good lately. One negative is that it takes forever to buy or do any sort of transaction there. The biggest negative, however, is that it is attached to a shooting range and at times there is a constant stream of questionable characters streaming through the shop. They are probably the only shop in the area where you can buy a gun at 10pm, however for a better experience I'd suggest going mid day.

I think Reed's had good prices before the firearm shortage last year. They were the first shop in the Bay Area to restock and I'm guessing they sell a lot of guns. Lately, their prices haven't been that great. On the plus side, they probably have the best selection in the area with plenty of stuff in stock. Their employees tend to be a bit surly with newbies, however I have received good service and advice there as well. They also have an attached range, although it seems to be more organized that the setup at Target Masters.

MPArms is awesome for the stuff they deal in. It is a home-based FFL and their hours are limited. They will SSE just about anything, and they carry some off-roster pistols in stock (mostly Sigs and Glocks). If you can find what you want in stock with them, their prices are hard to beat. Their prices & service on SSE are also unmatched.

Eddy's has good service and a friendly atmosphere. Both of the guys that work there are pretty much there all the time (at least when I visited). Their prices are fairly high, although I don't mind spending a little extra to support a good lgs. They do sometimes get some older or unusual guns I think they buy from collections.

Bullseye in Castro Valley usually doesn't have good selection and their prices are high. I've never bought anything from the store, but for some reason I end up doing a lot of PPT transfers there, I guess because they are centrally located. The guys who work there are friendly and efficient. I don't know if they're willing to price match or anything like that.

Last edited by ShooterStymie; 05-18-2014 at 11:22 PM..
Old 05-20-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucv View Post
Really you like Target Masters ?
Lol I was thinking the same thing. That place is like a zoo, with a bunch of community college part-timers who don't know shyt about guns. A few of their guns have been priced competitively, but it's almost like musical chairs. One gun is pretty good then another is at MSRP. I'd rather go to Triple A's in Vallejo
Old 05-27-2014, 1:08 PM

+10 for Peter at Mount Pleasant Arms. Just picked up my SSE'd Glock 42. Simple process, reasonable price for transfer...plus he has fantastic prices on Magpul items (at or below internet prices). I got my G42 and a whole slew of accessories for my AR build at a very great price!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.W. View Post
I recommend Peter at Mount Pleasant Arms. www.mparms.com His inventory is always changing and is great to work with. Find a gun online (Also does SSE for numerous guns as well) and he will do the transfer for you. On his website it lists the vendors he works with and has good relationships with. Buy the gun, he sets up an appointment with you, and total time is about 20 mins or so combined for both filling out paperwork and pickup.
Old 05-27-2014, 1:54 PM

I like gun Exchange. I ordered a SA revolver through them and the got it quick. I have also bought a 1898 Krag through them and thgey sure do have a great selection of old guns. I only wish I had more money to spend there.
Old 05-28-2014, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsA408 View Post
Sportsmans Supply in Campbell has been the LGS where I've purchased the majority of my new handguns and long guns. If the don't have what I've been looking for on the shelf they will search the state looking for it. And they have come through every time so far.

There customer service requires an investment on the buyers part. Don't expect to walk in off the street and be treated like a Princess. This is a gun store, and unless you are a cute young lady, man up and learn something about what you are looking for before you walk into the store.

We do have the internet. And there is no excuse for not knowing the basics at the counter. It has to be tough to deal with newbies all the time thinking they will be purchasing a gun they can't, and taking it home today, they won't, and being angry at the LGS, and not the politicians.

Almost any shop can be good if you invest in the relationship. Buying guns isn't the same as anything else. You want a good partner who you can trust, because at the end of the day, your life, and the life of your family may very well depend on that relationship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I'll second Sportsman's Supply. I've bought three long guns here in the past year and they were very helpful with pretty good prices. All of the guys that work here are very knowledgeable and they will answer your questions if you have them. For as small as the shop is, they have a great selection of pistols and long rifles, but not too many shotguns. It does get really busy in there at all hours of the day so please be patient if you go.

Sportsman's Supply also got (ordered) two long guns for me after Reed's had told me that there was "no way in hell to order that, because we haven't even seen one of those in over a year." I went over to Sportsman's Supply, asked them to order the two long guns, and they said "they'll be here after the ten day waiting period." No hassles here when buying firearms, I love them!

Last edited by caliboysj; 05-29-2014 at 7:49 PM..
Old 06-14-2014, 4:41 PM

Mil-Spec Armory off Meridian is a great spot. I've been to pretty all the gun shops up and down the peninsula. Customer service is top notch, prices are competitive, and you don't have to deal with some ******* working the counter trying to sell you crap.
Old 07-10-2014, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

my favs

Eddy's (Greg and Rick rock)
Peter at Mount Pleasant Arms (home FFL)
Tim at SJ Gun Trader (home FFL)
US Firearms in Sunnyvale
Sportsmen Supply in Campbell
Kerley's in Cupertino
Old 07-10-2014, 9:22 AM

I went to Bay Area Gun Vault when they first opened. They had an additional charge if you went to pick up your gun after the 10th day. Do they still do that? I haven't been back.

I've been going to Sportsman's Supply for over 20 years. The last time I went in, I asked about a single action exemption firearm and was lectured by 3 of the sales people. That was the last time I darkened their doorway.
Old 07-12-2014, 9:54 AM

Does anyone know if Target Masters does SSE for off roster?
Old 07-12-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_P View Post
Does anyone know if Target Masters does SSE for off roster?
Hahaha. Nope. They won't even PPT an AR15.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:43 AM

I head east when looking for good prices; Tracy Rifle, Elite Arms, Alquist Arms. Even MTG in Elk Grove.
Old 07-21-2014, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

Went to LC Action today to try to PPT transfer a Sig556r with bullet button and stock block

they freaked out and said it was illegal to add a bullet button to a gun if I wasn't a FFL07 (it was formerly featureless)

idiots
Old 08-03-2014, 6:05 PM

Ive done a few PPTs at Elite Armory. All the guys there are easy going. None of them put off a pretentious gun guy vibe, and Popeye the English Staffordshire Terrier is effin awesome.
Old 08-03-2014, 8:08 PM

+1 San Jose Gun Trader Blair and Tim are awesome I travel from San Leandro just to buy from them.
Old 08-22-2014, 8:48 PM

J&R shooting supply in Livermore (www.jrguns.com) is a very friendly store front with knowledgable folks behind the counter that helped me with even my noob questions about Sigs and AR pistols. Good selection on Sigs, HKs, Glocks, 1911s, long guns, and lots of accessories along the walls.
Old 08-23-2014, 9:24 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Sportsmans Arms in Petaluma has a selection that resembles a Hamas Arms depot. Gabe the owner is very cool and so is his dog Taco. Check him out!!

PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

When pimping begins, friendship ends.

Don't let your history be a mystery
Old 08-23-2014, 9:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSNorcal View Post
Seriously, are there any good ones left? All I keep finding are guys trying to rip people off on pricing,

That being said I'm in the market for a used 12G shotgun and would like my business to go where it will be appreciated.
So it sounds like you might be cheap....

People stopped supporting local shops and many have closed....
Remember Reeds over on Alum Rock.... now a salvation army....

--
Welcome to cal guns....

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 08-24-2014, 9:08 PM

Default Following rccar's lead, another survey:

This is using the LGS standard of customer service. Often, the ones who don't do SSE will say "that's illegal in CA!" and try to leave it at that. Can't blame them too much but they probably know they are bs'ing.

Good:
Eddie's Shooting Sports - Friendly, competitive prices. Makes the most of his small space. Sizable ammo supply. Hours a bit inconvenient.
Target Masters - I've heard prices can be high but in my last visit, July 2014, their prices are below those of at-home shops on some 1911's I checked out. Most complaints seem to be about the customers at night but they are the only ones open that late, midnight. Just avoid those times; if the other shops opened that late, they'd likely have similar clientele. Excellent daytime "happy hour" pricing on rental lanes.
US Firearms - Friendly, knowledgeable guys, act like they've been in customer service outside the industry. Better than average pricing.
UG Imports - Quick precise response, better than average pricing.
Mil-Spec - Small selection but competitive prices, friendly.
TRAP, Elite Arms and Supply - Slight edge to Elite Arms because they're a bit further out and need to be a hair friendlier and cheaper to compete. Order online at Elite for possibly even better prices than in-store. Makes for a nice weekend trip so you can check out Bass Pro Shops too or the Livermore outlets.
Bass Pro Shops - This is a tourist destination, saw more people taking photos than in SF, not that SF is much competition (sorry!). Probably the best display cases that stand the items up so you can see both sides, almost. Prices weren't bad.

Bay Area Gun Vault - Relatively large, eclectic selection, don't remember pricing.

Meh:
Reeds - Most handgun display cases are behind the employees, who are behind the main display counters, making the tags all but worthless unless you have 1-4x eyes. Prices were probably higher than average.
Gun Exchange, SJ - refused to give prices over the phone... strange policy. Was able to get a ballpark price and it was middle of the pack. Clerk was not very knowledgeable about POR requirements.
SJ Gun Trader - got a slow response time, ~1 week, prices a bit better than average

Bad:
MPArms, Digital Instincts - maybe a result of their own success, either no response or very curt replies weeks later. If email is the main form of contact with customers, then no response is similar to ignoring a customer in the store. May well be wrong but I doubt they get that many emails. Watch the calendar if you're filling the rest of the months and have backup suppliers ready to go.
Metal Dog Tactical - Good location but you'll be milked for $100 xfer + $100 SSE + tax + DROS if you want to order through them. Haven't seen anyone's fees higher than that yet.
Nussbaum - Was going to say reminded me of car salesmen with high pricing and pushing the sale, but I've had good experiences with car salesmen recently who didn't do that.
Old 08-24-2014, 9:11 PM

My experience with the Bay Area guns shops. I know what I am buying so I'm just price shopping.
NB - Never bought from them.

Jackson Arms - NB
small inventory, ok prices. mainly go there for the range.

Peninsula guns - NB
decent inventory, MSRP Bit of an attitude.

Brian Nessbaum - NB
high prices on SSE, major attitude.

Imbert & Smithers
More of a rifle and shotgun place. decent selection of used rifle and shotguns. small handgun selection. Nice staff.

Bay Area gun Vault - NB
High prices, bit of an attitude. Went looking around about 3 times and never went back there again.

US Firearms Co. - NB
Didn't see much of a selection. was asking mostly about gun work. ended up doing it myself.

Reed's - NB
high prices. Major attitude. mainly go there for the range.

Sportsman's Supply
stickler about the whole lock container rule. Since the lock I brought didn't fit the case, I was forced to buy an overprice lock for the overpriced gun. very small and busy.

Metal Dog Tactical
SSE shop. small selection. Lot's of parts for ARs. pretty good prices on SSE. good guys.

Target Master's West
lowest price I found so far. stickler about the gun purchase rules which I have no problems with. customer service is bad but I just go there for the prices and selection of on list guns. range is a bit scary with young newbies that are there with little regards for rules.
Old 08-25-2014, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericksun View Post
Brian Nessbaum - NB
high prices on SSE, major attitude.
Got my new version CZ97B from Brian. Found him to be very friendly and helpful. His partner was on the quiet side, but Brian was fine. Maybe because he knew I was buying? I dunno...
Old 08-25-2014, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchblade View Post
Got my new version CZ97B from Brian. Found him to be very friendly and helpful. His partner was on the quiet side, but Brian was fine. Maybe because he knew I was buying? I dunno...
Everyone interacts with different people differently. Personally I just avoided them due to what I read about their policy of charging service fees for out of dealer transfers based on percentage of gun cost. To me that is just outrageous. Plus their SSE costs were just a lot more than others. I know someone who bought from them and they realized that BN was charging a very high premium on SSE and has since switch to another FFL. If you are happy dealing with BN, then that's great for you. Personally I won't deal with them anymore based on my contact with them.
Old 08-26-2014, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZL View Post
Went to LC Action today to try to PPT transfer a Sig556r with bullet button and stock block

they freaked out and said it was illegal to add a bullet button to a gun if I wasn't a FFL07 (it was formerly featureless)

idiots
I also had a negative experience with LC action. Insane wait and inattentive to customers. Attempted to PPT 2 handguns on one DROs and was told I could only transfer one handgun at a time every 30 days, unless I was LE...
Old 08-26-2014, 4:50 PM

Reed's gets two strikes from me -
One for giving me attitude when I asked to see a price on a gun (there were four staff and the only customers were me and two of my friends)
Two for refusing to do a PPT after we had called and arranged with them to do a PPT, and then had driven over an hour to get there. Again, several staff were there, and we were the only customers.

Canyon (not in SJ, but mentioned earlier) also gets two strikes from me -
One for loudly heckling a lady who had simple questions.
Two for giving me a ration of crap because I told them I couldn't afford a gun whose price I had to ask to see. Because asking a salesperson about a product price is asking them to do SO much extra work...

It's sad that some stores seem to think that having a good selection excuses lying to and/or yelling at customers.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

....guess they only like LE business

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayW View Post
I also had a negative experience with LC action. Insane wait and inattentive to customers. Attempted to PPT 2 handguns on one DROs and was told I could only transfer one handgun at a time every 30 days, unless I was LE...
Old 09-04-2014, 5:23 PM

Mill spec armory. I had one of the worst gun shop experiences ever. Never going back. Even if you gave me $50 bucks to spend in there, I would rather buy $50 worth the tacos from next door.
Old 09-04-2014, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineTailFox View Post
+1 San Jose Gun Trader Blair and Tim are awesome I travel from San Leandro just to buy from them.
And another +1. I make the drive from Oakland. Any time I need to do anything, they will get my business. Great folks.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROrr View Post
Mill spec armory. I had one of the worst gun shop experiences ever. Never going back. Even if you gave me $50 bucks to spend in there, I would rather buy $50 worth the tacos from next door.
Do tell I'm curious.

I went there once to window shop and heard a guy (I think owner) trying to hard sell these 2 guys on a Smith 500 Magnum. Told them distributors are refusing to ship to CA because of micro stamping and he had the last one in CA. I of course had just come from another shop that had one and it was cheaper.