Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 08-16-2017, 5:04 PM

Default Advice applying for CCW in Sacramento w/ misdemeanor

As the title says, I am thinking about going through the CCW application process in Sacramento county buy have a misdemeanor vandalism charge from 2013. The misdemeanor has been expunged from my record but I know it will still show up in the Livescan report.

My questions are:

1) What do you think the odds are that I will be approved/denied having this misdemeanor vandalism on my record?

2) Is there anything I should do BEFORE applying to increase my chances of being approved?

I'm thinking about doing my Livescan before applying to see exactly what it says, although I would still disclose the charge in my application. The misdemeanor charge was one of those dumb drunken college nights that still haunts me to this day I am a college graduate from a CSU and have never had any other run-ins with the law.

Any thoughts/comments are much appreciated!
Old 08-16-2017, 6:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopolytech View Post
As the title says, I am thinking about going through the CCW application process in Sacramento county buy have a misdemeanor vandalism charge from 2013. The misdemeanor has been expunged from my record but I know it will still show up in the Livescan report.

My questions are:

1) What do you think the odds are that I will be approved/denied having this misdemeanor vandalism on my record?

2) Is there anything I should do BEFORE applying to increase my chances of being approved?

I'm thinking about doing my Livescan before applying to see exactly what it says, although I would still disclose the charge in my application. The misdemeanor charge was one of those dumb drunken college nights that still haunts me to this day I am a college graduate from a CSU and have never had any other run-ins with the law.

Any thoughts/comments are much appreciated!
The evaluation will center on:
1. How egregious was the vandalism? (Cow tipping? )
2. When in your college career did you do this?
3. What have you done with your life since then?

No need for you to clarify here, but those seem to be the relevant touchpoints.
Old 08-16-2017, 6:54 PM

Might as well try. Just be honest about it. Worst case is they say no and you're only out $20. Just wait to get livescan
Old 08-16-2017, 7:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Be totally honest.

I would advise writing a short, correctly-phrased letter detailing the crime, in what ways you took full responsibility for your actions, and how you have lived your life from then on.

If you are a mouth breather, have an intelligent friend write it for you (no offense).

Might as well try. I made it through with a bad thing on my record.......I was upfront and honest about it, even though I could have been vague and obtuse.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedude916 View Post
Might as well try. Just be honest about it. Worst case is they say no and you're only out $20. Just wait to get livescan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
The evaluation will center on:
1. How egregious was the vandalism? (Cow tipping? )
2. When in your college career did you do this?
3. What have you done with your life since then?

No need for you to clarify here, but those seem to be the relevant touchpoints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Be totally honest.

I would advise writing a short, correctly-phrased letter detailing the crime, in what ways you took full responsibility for your actions, and how you have lived your life from then on.

If you are a mouth breather, have an intelligent friend write it for you (no offense).

Might as well try. I made it through with a bad thing on my record.......I was upfront and honest about it, even though I could have been vague and obtuse.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Thank you all for the advice. I didn't know if the initial application was the time to explain the situation or to wait until the interview. I will be as upfront and honest about everything in the application and hopefully I won't get denied off the bat.
Old 08-17-2017, 5:22 AM
Veteran Member

Sacramento likes 7 years without any criminal activity. I had a misdemeanor for failure to appear on a traffic ticket. They made me wait until it was 7 years past and not a day sooner. But yeah, apply. The worst they can say is no. But a NO does bar you from applying for a year if I recall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sapperforward; 08-18-2017 at 8:53 AM..
Old 08-17-2017, 5:35 AM

The truth shall set you free
I got my ccw in sac my file was over an inch thick
You could say I was a rambunctious teenager tell the truth
Old 09-07-2017, 10:55 PM

hey op. I just got my sac county ccw. I had a misdemeanor vandelism from 2000 that was expunged. No big deal.
I had totally forgotten that i was charged with vandalism in 1997 also, but it got dropped. I remembered it when the dude doing my interview asked me if there was any other arrest. I was like, oh ****, i totally forgot.
The one i plead no contest to started off way worse than vandalism. But i fought it until it was lowered to misdemeanor vandalism.

It's just a clever handle
Old 09-08-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyatBest View Post
hey op. I just got my sac county ccw. I had a misdemeanor vandelism from 2000 that was expunged. No big deal.
I had totally forgotten that i was charged with vandalism in 1997 also, but it got dropped. I remembered it when the dude doing my interview asked me if there was any other arrest. I was like, oh ****, i totally forgot.
The one i plead no contest to started off way worse than vandalism. But i fought it until it was lowered to misdemeanor vandalism.

Wow, I didn't realize they asked about stuff from 20 years ago. I'm thinking about going ahead and starting the CCW process. I can't even remember the years of anything I had expunged as a minor.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:29 PM

They ask to declare all of your criminal history. He already had the information, he was making sure that i wasn't purposely keeping anything from him.

My buddy just got his from el dorado county. He said his file was an inch thick. My buddy has never been arrested nor had a speeding ticket. Apparently there is a brother in Detroit with the same name. This dude has quite the criminal history. But it came in with the doj report. The deputy knew it wasn't the same dude. He said it happens very often.
We googled dude the other day. He is a unknown rap music producer. Shhhhhhhhhocking.

Old 09-08-2017, 6:29 PM
Veteran Member

Default Advice applying for CCW in Sacramento w/ misdemeanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns259 View Post
Wow, I didn't realize they asked about stuff from 20 years ago. I'm thinking about going ahead and starting the CCW process. I can't even remember the years of anything I had expunged as a minor.
They already know about everything you've done, even when you were a juvenile. Disclose everything you can remember. And make sure you remember everything. If you leave something out and they interpret it as merely an honest oversight, you'll probably be okay, but if they think you're deliberately hiding it, you're toast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-08-2017, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
They already know about everything you've done, even when you were a juvenile. Disclose everything you can remember. And make sure you remember everything. If you leave something out and they interpret it as merely an honest oversight, you'll probably be okay, but if they think you're deliberately hiding it, you're toast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
THIS^^^
Old 09-08-2017, 8:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns259 View Post
But, you remember you had things as a minor which were expunged, right?

They had my "character enhancement" interactions with CHP from 1973.

They are less concerned about what you did back then than they are about what you've done since then.

But, not including ancient transgressions makes them wonder about your current integrity.