Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 1:27 AM

Default SB 707 awaits Gov. Brown's approval by Oct 10th 2015

SB 707 has passed both houses and now awaits the final decision by Governor Brown to enact the law. The Governor has until October 11th to make his decision. This new version of the law simply removes CCW holders from being exempt to the Gun Free School Zone Act at K-12 and College/University school grounds, facilities, and campus housing.
It is a felony to possess a firearm on school or college grounds with a prison sentence ranging from 2 – 4 years. That will include CCW holders if this new version of SB 707 is approved.

Here is a link to the Sac Bee article putting this in lay terms

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...e37349049.html

Here is a link to the current bill on Gov. Brown’s desk

https://trackbill.com/s3/bills/CA/20...09-03-2015.pdf

Here is a link to “track bill” that has the pdf files and full details of the bill, records of votes, etc.

https://trackbill.com/bill/CA/2015/S...ee-school-zone

On a personal note as someone who is in the process of acquiring a CCW permit who is also a student at a community college, I do not support this legislation because in my opinion this will mostly hinder good people, vetted students, from being able to carry concealed. I understand the point about campuses having a party lifestyle that rivals Woodstock, and that potentially students like that would be CCW holders and armed, or do a bad job of securing their weapon in a dorm. That is possible I suppose, I highly doubt that will be an issue because I don’t think most 21 year old college students who use drugs and drink all day are going to be applying for OR passing the background for a CCW permit. If the state will take away the potential of some vetted students being armed, then please find the funding to beef up campus police state wide with plain clothed officers in effective numbers. Please hire candidates for campus police who are really up to the task of being the first on scene to a mass shooting who will engage the shooter. I actually worked for a campus police department once and the officers weren’t allowed to be armed, and these were police officers, all part of honoring the concept of the gun free school zone. I’m not so sure that is practiced very much today, but I know that back then at a campus that had over 40,000 enrolled the patrols consisted of 3 officers, one supervisor at the station and numerous cadets. That is the first responder force that gets to the scene within those vital few first minutes. I applaud the Sheriff’s department up in Oregon for getting there as fast as they could, and actually engaging the shooter within 10 minutes, it’s better than most reports of these atrocious tragedies, but that’s 10 minutes of hell on earth. So, my deal is that yep I’m not happy about the law, I think I would be a good person to have armed but that isn’t in the cards and I will have to just accept that risk. I hope at the least that our state counters not having this option with a modernized and potent, well trained, well paid, and well equipt campus police force akin to the Air Marshal Service that was overhauled after 9/11. Don’t take away my chance at self defense and leave us with the middle aged over weight tired looking policeman on a golf cart. Thank you for reading, and hey I’ll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 10-05-2015, 9:02 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Bill discussions go to the Politics and Activism forum.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Closed Thread