Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 05-19-2019, 12:37 PM

If people would practice their shooting on small game the big game should be easier. I shot ground squirrels a few days ago at the ranch off hand the first 1/2 of the first day then switched over to taking a rest for most shots the second 1/2 of the day, it makes a difference at least for me it does. The second day I reversed it with take a rest the first part then switching over to offhand the second part. All types of shots are taken including running. I've used the 6.5 on deer and it works just fine, if the opportunity to shoot a elk came and the shot was right for me I would not hesitate one second to take a elk with it. It is "NOT" my go to elk gun but I would use it.
Old 05-19-2019, 2:16 PM

Agreed.
I’ve shot deer and elk on the move with success and I think it’s partly the fact
I hunt rabbits with 10/22 and learned to lead or shoulder and do a very quick shot. 30 years of plinking and shooting also helps
Old 05-19-2019, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
I often refer folks to this website for similar questions.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html

Your cartridge of choice isn't included in the free sections, but the caliber is and cartridges you can extrapolate from.

For an emphatic quick kill, you're looking for hydrostatic shock. That falls off quicker than many realize.

But like some others have said, the flat shooting really doesn't come into play at the distance being considered.

OP,

if you follow Jagerdogs lead here go to "6.5 x 55", "hand loading" then peruse down to a paragraph that starts "every once in a while".

Not sure of the twist rate in a 6.5 cm but the rest should be pretty comparable.

https://archive.org/details/JohnRoss...edConsequences

i was born under a wandrin star
Old 05-19-2019, 3:15 PM
CGSSA Associate

If you don't shoot nearly every day you'll loose it......I have 35yd archery setup and a Red Ryder BB gun range that has moving & fixed targets out to 23yds.

But if I had GS to shoot with my 204/bow everyday I'd toss the RR away.
Old 05-20-2019, 7:25 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

If your good with it, you can use it for Deer, Elk, Moose, whatever. Unless your going out of CA I wouldn't even think twice about it. Heck, I'd shoot elk with my 257 weatherby or even a bear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 05-20-2019, 8:39 PM

OP you have your answer but I can't help myself but chime in:

For hunting 250yd and closer bullet drop isn't an issue. If you're at 250yd and closer then power is absolutely not an issue (you're at .308 levels which is fine). There are 50+ other things that will matter more:

- crazy weather
- buck fever
- being dehydrated and jittery
- the fact you stuck the barrel in some mud
- misjudged distance to target
- target is moving or is in a herd or obstructed partially
- not sighting in at the elevation / temp / etc where you're hunting
- using ammo you haven't sighted in with
- someone (or you!) adjusting your scope and forgetting
- pulling the trigger but the safety is on
- going to shoot and realize you haven't chambered yet
- putting on the stalk and have the animal disappear on you

... and the most likely one of all in California:
- you never see a legal animal on your entire trip ;-)

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:34 AM

An engineering question gets an engineering answer: if you're at all worried, then overcompensate. Go bigger. Go heavier. Go faster. Get closer. Be quieter. Be pickier. In the real world, optimized & highly efficient solutions show just how fragile they are.

Off a backpack, I can reliably hit a fencepost out to about 350 yards with just a 7x scope. Didn't stop me from gut-shooting my deer at about 60 yards last year. Should have been pickier on my shot. My follow-up shot took him down but I admit that I should have known better on that first shot.

I was practicing for bowhunting turkeys this year by shooting clay pigeons (stationary). Though I could usually hit the clays, I still missed several birds before hitting one. The head was dulled from being shot into the dirt earlier in the day and it still managed to blow straight through the bird. Recovery was fast. It's only a 45# recurve but I overload it with arrows over 650 grains and fixed, 2-blade heads. It's comfortable to shoot but gets the job done if I stay within its limits and do my part. Since I missed so many darned times that day, I was glad that I had overcompensated in the arrow weight and head selection. When I finally got my s**** together, it all worked just fine.

The point being, as many others have already said, don't push the limits of yourself or your equipment. There are just too many other variables at play already without having your gear adding to those problems.
Old 05-21-2019, 8:00 PM
CGSSA Associate

If the owner doesn't respond don't bother responding back.......they are not interested