Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-16-2013, 8:06 PM

The differnce is that ares is the manufacture and that we went direct to the source instead of wholesale like stores. Theres nothing that we should be waiting on for delivery because we were first to order and ares has shipped to their clients outside of this gb.
Old 02-16-2013, 8:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stg 58 View Post
I have faith in these guys they will get you your product eventually. I have been waiting for parts kits from 4 different companies and have been waitng for 5 months so its slow across the board. I have met with Glbtroter and the guys from Ares in the past and they all seem like stand up guys. The whole industry is slammed so if you plan on building anything your going to neec a whole lot of patients. Blame the F****** Democrats
This is a whole different scenario than the rush we are currently in. I'm not blaming the dems, libs or king O for this. Stand up companies and guys openly and honestly communicate. I don't know who it is that is not being open and honest, but by the time the info gets to us it sure hasn't been the truth.

As I have always said, until today, I'll wait for the right product when communication is good. Hell, I get better communication from the ATF on form 4 updates and they don't ever call.

I'm done with giving benefits of the doubts, having understanding, etc. When someone starts telling the truth instead of blowing smoke then maybe I'll have some patience and understanding.

Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
Old 02-16-2013, 8:50 PM

It took 7 mo. for me to get my frame. How long have you being waiting?
Old 02-16-2013, 8:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmaley View Post
since the beginning. may 2012.
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Statements posted here are the sole opinions of the author and not those
of CGN, CGF, CRPA, or any other institution or agency unless otherwise noted.
Old 02-16-2013, 9:19 PM

I'm part of GB#1 and I'm still waiting for my frame as well. A simple PM with an update would be nice.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmaley View Post
7 months for a preorder that I had to call ares to get them to charge the rest of as they just let it set after the lost their CC account. Then call again two weeks later to get them to ship it. Now I'm just waiting for my group buy order. Then I think I'm done doing business with ares. Shame to see a local place lose business but, if they do they have no one to blame but themselves. I think Ares could have chimed in more often with realistic info.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimid8tor View Post
I have a feeling that Ares is spending their machining time selling to other people and we are on the back burner because they have our money.

What they fail to realize, is that by burning us, they burn their repeat customers and when all this crap dies down, they will go out of business because they are so hated. I have placed 5 or 6 orders with TM and am a customer for life because of their service. I'll never buy from Ares again after this and I would guess I am not alone in that sentiment. Business owners know, the first time customers are nice, but the repeat customers keep you going.
I agree with you 100%. Ares will not get a single cent from me and I will do my darndest to persuade anyone I know from doing business with them. There are far too many good businesses that deserve our money. I have done business with other small businesses for products much cheaper than the sums I sent for this GB, and the owners (not the GB runners) have emailed me when running into delays.

Ares is on this forum and Dimitry is aware of this thread. The fact that they are busy with other BS things like buying stupid domains and starting their training business instead of focusing on keeping us updated on their progress speaks volumes on what they think of us. Heck most of us are reasonable folks and will be okay with waiting if given clear information. So far the quality of communication is clear as mud.

How can we get our money back?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesundheit View Post
I agree with you 100%. Ares will not get a single cent from me and I will do my darndest to persuade anyone I know from doing business with them. There are far too many good businesses that deserve our money. I have done business with other small businesses for products much cheaper than the sums I sent for this GB, and the owners (not the GB runners) have emailed me when running into delays.

Ares is on this forum and Dimitry is aware of this thread. The fact that they are busy with other BS things like buying stupid domains and starting their training business instead of focusing on keeping us updated on their progress speaks volumes on what they think of us. Heck most of us are reasonable folks and will be okay with waiting if given clear information. So far the quality of communication is clear as mud.

How can we get our money back?

+1

If I knew that some people had been waiting for months for these frames I would have stayed away. Ares better come up with frames soon.
Old 02-17-2013, 6:30 PM

I've already started going in a different direction, honestly I might not even keep the frames from ares, like I stated earlier this has turned me off to future group buys...

-joe
Old 02-17-2013, 6:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

not all GBs are like this one.
NRA Life Member - CRPA Life & Board Member - SAF Life Member - Monterey County Carry Initiative Sponsor
Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 PM

Don't let Ares ruin group buys for you. All the GB's I've participated in have been great, especially those from KTO, Schuemann and Caspian. Stick to reputable businesses with a proven product and you should be fine.
Old 02-18-2013, 8:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Guys get into the lynch mob thing pretty quickly. They shipped out a lot of the frames a few weeks ago, and I'm 100% positive that they are not out to screw anyone over. There are other issues at hand, and it's not a priority thing where orders from this gb are being set on the back burner.

BTW, All of their build party dates are cancelled, if you want to check it out.
http://aresarmor.com/store/80percent_build_party

Last edited by bigcalidave; 02-18-2013 at 8:44 AM..
Old 02-18-2013, 9:11 AM

Lynch mob? You have to be kidding. The responses have been pretty tame considering the situation. Communication is VERY important. It sounds like the group buy organizer is between the buyers and the manufacturer (rock and hard spot). According to some reports, the manufacturer has given different stories. Communication has been sporadic at best.

BTW, I own a few Haas machines. They are seldom down, and NEVER down for more than a few days. The service and support from the local distributor and the factory is outstanding.

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?

Last edited by eaglemike; 02-18-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 9:27 AM
Veteran Member

this is why i backed out of this GB... Communication and answering questions are a priority ..along with some bad decisions by Ares on other things ....
Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM

Same here, and why I kept telling GB#2 to wait on GB#1 to conclude. Now both are SOL.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM

Also, we have NEVER had mills down for more than a couple days even for massive overhauls.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think it's pretty clear by now that the "mill being down" is a smoke screen, but for what? Are they changing machine shop "locations" again? Seems like there were some precision issues with some of the build party operations.

Sure would be nice to know the actual story, but I doubt that's a possibility at this point. If I had the updated hand tools jig, I wouldn't care as I could just finish it myself, when they cancelled the build parties (and keep pushing them back) the "revisions" they made to the frame that were supposed to be taken care of by the CNC build party programming are not available any longer to me, so I have some ACTUAL paperweights for the time being, until they get their act together, including my incorrect jig that is just wasted at this point.

If anyone at Ares is still monitoring this thread, here are a few questions I'd like answers to:

1. What is actually going on with regards to build parties being "rescheduled"?
2. Are you currently searching for a new machine shop?
3. What is the timeframe for completing corrected hacksaw jigs? Is there one?
4. What is the timeframe for completing the updated grip to fix the undersized magazine well?

Any communication would be appreciated even if it is "We don't know." Keeping people in the dark is not really flying.

Finally "I told you so" posts aren't really helpful, guys. We get it, you're the smartest guys in the room. Now go to another room.
Old 02-18-2013, 5:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post
Guys,

Ares has had some interesting and unfortunate turns of events in their manufacturing partners that continue to result in delay and excuse.

Apparently a shipment showed up in the last day or so.

I will try to get down there soon an conclude our business with them.

The grip will be released ... One of these days.

I don't know what to say about it at this point, short of sayin that we've been there in person fairly frequently and though September was the date these frames were expected, it is now February an we are we're we are.

To remind, I'm not in possession of any monies, frames or jigs, and ill do what I can to get you all settled out asap.

Cheers!
What about the jigs?? I'm one of the unfortunate suckers who ordered 2 frames and a jig from the first small group to commit and pay.

https://www.instagram.com/billygoatmachine/?hl=en
Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!
Old 02-18-2013, 6:01 PM

How were there meets at Bella Terra if you don't have any parts on hand?
Old 02-18-2013, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couch View Post
How were there meets at Bella Terra if you don't have any parts on hand?

On a semi related note,
Couch are you still offering assistance to those who might have acquired a frame?
Old 02-18-2013, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

Starting to piss me off. The Are's paperweights are starting to show up in the classifieds already and I PREordered???

https://www.instagram.com/billygoatmachine/?hl=en
Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!
Old 02-18-2013, 8:24 PM

Saw one for $300 a few days ago on here...

Yes, I am still open to helping people out but only after full details are made known on issues, and what problems were being fixed during build parties at one of the various Ares machine shops.
Old 02-18-2013, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkeeter View Post
Starting to piss me off. The Are's paperweights are starting to show up in the classifieds already and I PREordered???
I had to b**** about my preorder on Facebook before I got a response.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
Lynch mob? You have to be kidding. The responses have been pretty tame considering the situation. Communication is VERY important. It sounds like the group buy organizer is between the buyers and the manufacturer (rock and hard spot). According to some reports, the manufacturer has given different stories. Communication has been sporadic at best.

BTW, I own a few Haas machines. They are seldom down, and NEVER down for more than a few days. The service and support from the local distributor and the factory is outstanding.
A lot of assumptions are made here, I thought most of them were cleared up. They did ship out most of the frames ordered, either through the early local pickups, or the ones shipped out two weeks ago to people that had not ordered jigs. Yes its unfortunate that there is more of a delay, but there is no reason to assume the worst. It's not always mechanical things that keep the machines from running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkeeter View Post
The ones in the classifieds are going for $250 - $300. You paid $125 each, right? The ones in the classifieds are people from either this group buy or other preorders reselling for a profit. Also, nobody ever said that this group buy was the first one or the first order of these, people were ordering these on the website from the beginning, most often paying more than this group buy price.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
The ones in the classifieds are going for $250 - $300. You paid $125 each, right? The ones in the classifieds are people from either this group buy or other preorders reselling for a profit. Also, nobody ever said that this group buy was the first one or the first order of these, people were ordering these on the website from the beginning, most often paying more than this group buy price.
I'm on my phone right now and it's hard for me to go thru all the pages to find it but we were told we were the first that paid and we were susposed to be the first to eat, more or less.

-joe
Old 02-19-2013, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcalidave View Post
A lot of assumptions are made here, I thought most of them were cleared up. They did ship out most of the frames ordered, either through the early local pickups, or the ones shipped out two weeks ago to people that had not ordered jigs. Yes its unfortunate that there is more of a delay, but there is no reason to assume the worst. It's not always mechanical things that keep the machines from running.
I don't know if "most" is accurate. Do you have good numbers for what has been shipped, and what is owed?
I do know the story has been different. One version (?) from the buy coordinator, another version or two from Ares. I was in the first group buy. Supposedly my stuff was going ship a while back - they said they didn't have a good address. I supplied it three times, more than a month ago.
The implication has been that there were machine problems. Do you have information as to what the problems really are?
Do you know someone at Ares?

ETA: please understand I'm just wanting info. I know nuance can be hard to express and capture on the internet. I'd really like to have a clear and accurate understanding of what is happening.

Last edited by eaglemike; 02-19-2013 at 2:37 PM..
Old 02-19-2013, 6:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. View Post
I'm on my phone right now and it's hard for me to go thru all the pages to find it but we were told we were the first that paid and we were susposed to be the first to eat, more or less.

-joe
Post #1005 from 11/14/12 is the one you're referring to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrottr View Post
Update:

Yesterday I received a call from Dimitri providing detail as to the nature of their delay. Upon checking out additional quality control, they determined that the reference hole was .25 1000's of an inch off, which meant the remaining items related to that hole were also off.

Ares made a decision to scrap that inventory and remanufacture.

The end result is that the delay will result in about one week delay.

A couple of other items: since this was the original group buy and we were the first to place a group order, we will be the first order shipped out.

Also, there are people that may be interested in bare frames. Please let me know prior to my taking delivery of the frames if you want bare frames so they may be shipped or delivered to you, otherwise they will be black oxided.

Lastly, as to the ATF letter, I will ask that Dimitri include a copy of the letter which will be include with all your shipments based on the preexisting design, should any questions arise.

THank you!
Old 02-19-2013, 6:27 PM

Yes sir that is it!

Thanks
-joe
Old 02-19-2013, 6:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer

And that was three months ago and they were late then!
Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Im still treading water here!
Wheres the comm line/update?
Old 02-22-2013, 1:00 PM

^^^ yes please, any news?

I would like to get this project out of way as soon as I can.
Old 02-23-2013, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanPreRunner View Post
^^^ yes please, any news?

I would like to get this project out of way as soon as I can.
Yeah, they're for sale on gun broker.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:27 AM

For the schmucks who paid and didn't get their frames you can buy yours back here...http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=330588244. Wtf!
Old 02-23-2013, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpl_dan View Post
For the schmucks who paid and didn't get their frames you can buy yours back here...http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=330588244. Wtf!
Um...:what: the f***

Last edited by NissanPreRunner; 02-23-2013 at 3:53 PM..
Old 02-23-2013, 3:53 PM

Any updates Lloyd?
Old 02-23-2013, 4:14 PM

What's the rush people? 80 percents will always be around....even after any banning......
At the price $300???????or even $100?????? why not a decent legitimate lower.
If you already own even one gun...your on a list already somewhere....
Old 02-23-2013, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bug View Post
What's the rush people? 80 percents will always be around....even after any banning......
Rush?? What are you talking about? Since some have been waiting since May, and here we are in late Feb, how can this be considered a rush?

I remember some people in the group buy said they picked up parts are Ares. Now Ares knows nothing about group buys? What on earth is going on?

This is not good, and getting worse..........

Old 02-23-2013, 5:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
you clearly have no clue as to what's going on here. move along please
Old 02-23-2013, 5:49 PM

Its not a rush... some people got their order when others have been part of it since the start last may and have no updates on what's going on. We are seeing sales in classifieds and gun broker and ares has shipped to non gb members when we were promised to recieve first. As much as we want our order a simple update would be sufficient for the time being. If that doesnt bother you... good for you. The rest of us would like to know what's going on though. Durring the last shipment I was told I would not be recieving a shipment because I had a jig. And that it would only be days until the others could be shipped. It has been a long time after "days" and I have no idea what's going on
Old 02-23-2013, 6:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
the guy is clueless... asking "why not a decent legitimate lower" betrays the fact that he doesn't know what he's talking about.