Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 05-08-2007, 5:25 PM

Default How do you guys bring all your toys...

Hey guys,
I'm planning on taking my girl and some friends of ours to the Angeles Nat'l range this weekend. I've recently acquired four new rifles and handguns to my collection in the past five months. I want to bring all of my new weapons along with my older one's with me. I've got cases for each.

Last time i was at the outdoor range my sunglasses were stolen.
My question is, when bringing more than eight weapons to the range do you bring all of your weapons out and place them on your shooter's table? Or do you guys think it's a better idea to leave some of them in the car and bring them out when we want to shoot them? Nothing is cooler than having all your weapons lined up but nothing is worse than having one stolen.
Old 05-08-2007, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

I think that depends heavily on your range? I shoot at one of three places. One is BLM and I just back my truck up and leave everything in the bed and there is nobody else in sight. The other two ranges I use are owned by my employer, one is an indoor range and most of my shooting is done before/after hours, but even during business hours I have a locker there and everyone knows me, plus I can leave things behind the counter. The other is an outdoor range where we do military/LE training, and I also shoot out of my truck or off an ATV.

Rereading my post now, this info is of no use to you, but I typed it out so I'm gonna post anyway. If I were you I'd bring everything to your bench with you, but it depends on the range, the size of the tables, and how crowded/close the bays are.
Old 05-08-2007, 6:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

After many years of lugging everything and the kitchen sink, I now choose a minimalist approach, two or three firearms max, have a small bag with ammo/hearing/eye protection and range tools (I use the small gator bag with pockets for tools, OTIS cleaning kit etc.), and one locked box with firearms, plus an art store type vinyl portfolio with targets. That way you can take the other toys left at home to the range in a couple days. IMO the less stuff you take the less than can go wrong...just go shooting more!
Old 05-08-2007, 7:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

+1 to just taking a few things. Think about it... with 8 guns thats potentially 8 types of ammo, magazines, and whatever else for each weapon. Then there is time to set up, load the weapons, shoot for a bit, reload, shoot, grab a new gun, etc etc. Spend some quality time with your guns Plus, if you don't take them all, its a great excuse to go back with some new ones! Seriously, I used to take a pile of firearms to the range and then just when I was getting into one, I'd realize that I haven't fired the others yet. Then I would start rushing to shoot as fast as I could just to say I shot that particular gun.... without really focusing as much as I could on accuracy and technique.

my $.00000000000003 after taxes

-Bryan
Old 05-08-2007, 7:24 PM
Calguns Addict

i agree with everyone here. don't bring too much stuff, your asking for someone to steal something and it'll be too hard to manage all your gear.
Old 05-08-2007, 7:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete75 View Post
i agree with everyone here. don't bring too much stuff, your asking for someone to steal something and it'll be too hard to manage all your gear.

i usually bring one rifle and one handgun or two rifles,plus ammo.the less you bring the easier it will be to keep track of your stuff,so that if something is missing you`ll notice right away.
Old 05-08-2007, 9:13 PM

This is going to sound like the Lewis & Clark Expedition -
I try to spend 2/3 of my time at the rifle & 1/3 at the pistol part of my range.
I usually take 3 rifles (as the barrels heat-up you need to rotate them) & a couple of handguns - 1 double rifle hardcase & 1 single rifle hardcase. The pistols are stored in a hardcase. Ammunition is also transported in a seperate hardcase. These are all key locked & kept closed & close to my bench.
I finally got one of those folding luggage carts, you see at the airport, along with a couple of bungee cords, I can get it one compact load.
Old 05-08-2007, 9:26 PM

I only bring 3 rifles everytime I go to the range, x54, 22lr and 308 (or 5.56), changing rifles to let the barrel cool off. (1) pistol as that's all I have in that department.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:32 PM

When I go by myself to Angeles to practice for an upcoming match, I usually only bring the one rifle that I'll be shooting in the match. My Service Grade Garand for a Garand match, or my AR for highpower. Once in a great while, I'll also bring a bolt 22 for cheap position practice. All firearms are transported in locked hard or soft cases.

If I'm just plinking, I'll bring only what I can fit on the shooting bench. I'll leave some of my gear by the rear tables, but the rifles are kept close by on the shooting bench. This way, during target changes they are more secure since no one is supposed to handle anything on the forward benches. I would only bring more if I had friends with me that could keep an eye on the rear tables during the cease fires.

I have a buddy that likes to bring 8-10 rifles and set them up for "display" on the rear tables. Personally, I don't care if nobody notices what I have. I try to improve my shooting and can't do it if I'm using a bunch of different rifles. I'm old, with bad eyes, so I can only concentrate on one firearm at a time.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Have someone help you watch them and park closely within sight if possible and put guns away as done with them. I have brought up to 15-20 guns to range before and luckily have not had a problem yet. I'm very observant.
Old 05-09-2007, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonclip View Post
I have brought up to 15-20 guns to range before and luckily have not had a problem yet. I'm very observant.
BOY! That's a lot of cleaning...
Old 05-09-2007, 8:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you're going out into the midle of nowhere, take a folding table and a blanket and just keep them all laid out where you can keep an eye on them.

If you're going to the range, take a buddy, and only rent one lane, that way someone sits with the guns at all times.

I've done the 20 or more guns on one trip before, it wound up being more of a pain than anything else, although the look on my moms face was priceless when she came into the living room and it was covered in partially dissasembled firearms and the smell of hopes #9 (was living at home back then, long time ago). you'll honestly have more fun with a .22 rifle and .22 pistol, and just one larger calibre to get you sore and make you bored.

unless you're shooting watermellons or pumpkins, then all bets are off.
Old 05-09-2007, 8:19 AM
Veteran Member

I will take two guns usually, three at a maximum.

When you are OCD it really sucks sometimes to clean your guns.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 05-09-2007, 9:20 AM

Stakebed truck, ammo cans, and wheeled rifles cases!
Back the truck up to the firing line and keep anything not being used cased in the back of the truck...

Old 05-09-2007, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInKA View Post
Hey guys,
I'm planning on taking my girl and some friends of ours to the Angeles Nat'l range this weekend
I've taken friends to Angeles and I brought everything out and put it on one of the rear tables. With a group of as small as 3, I didn't feel like it was a problem keeping an eye on all my stuff. I like to make sure that I have a whole back table to myself though. If there's room, I'll setup rifles on 2 or 3 shooting benches and let my friends have at it. I spent a lot of time showing people how to shoot, clearing jams , and what not, so if you are bringing a big group, it's nice to have someone else along that is knowledgeable about firearms.

Also, it takes a long time to setup and shoot and put away more than a few rifles, and for people that aren't as into guns as we are they can tire of it fairly quickly. The last time out after packing away the rifles, my friends didn't feel like shooting the handguns afterwards. Don't forget to bring them ears/plugs and tell them to bring sunglasses for eye protection.
Old 05-22-2007, 9:55 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It totally depends on where I am shooting and who I am shooting with. If I am shooting by myself I will generally take one or two rifles that I want to practice with, one or two pistols that I want to practice with, and a .22lr or two to play with after. If I am shooting on private property with my shooting buddies, it is not uncommon for each of us to bring 25 or 30 guns each and we have had over 150 at my friend’s private range at a time. If you do this, it is important to mark all of your mags and whatnot so that they don’t get mixed up. The same goes with some guns that are duplicate. What generally happens, is someone will bring something new, and the next week our FFL (who is part of the group) will be ordering 5 or 6 of them for the rest of the group so we have a lot of duplicate stuff.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:04 PM

I just take 2-3 handguns/rifles. Its easier to remember and an keep an eye on my things.
Old 06-06-2007, 4:03 PM

I usually just take one gun and one bag. On special occasions, if I'm shooting with friends, for example, I'll take one long gun and one pistol. I hate cleaning more than one firearm a week.
Old 06-06-2007, 5:52 PM

I used to bring like 3-4 with me to the range, but its a bear to handle. I love shooting all of them, but its hard lugging around ammo for different calibers, cases and then keeping an eye on them. I now just bring 1 or 2. If I bring anymore, I get worried I might be leaving presents for someone!