Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-07-2015, 9:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawernator View Post
So, if I'm walking around in uniform, is there a legal obligation to salute CSMR officers?
At first I thought maybe not, but as I read the handbook:

http://www.calguard.ca.gov/CSMR/Docu...REVISIONv5.pdf

It looks like from a legal basis they are on par with the National Guard. So it would be like not saluting a NG officer.

Thus, it was established by the legislature that the California State Military Reserve is a legitimate component of the Military Forces of the State of California and functions as a uniformed force available upon order of the Governor to assist State, local and other agencies in the accomplishment of such missions as may, from time to time, be directed by him/her. In the event of federalization of the California National Guard or its inability for other reasons to respond to contingencies normally within its purview, the California State Military Reserve may be called upon by the Governor to aid in the suppression of disorders, the protection of life and property, and in recovery efforts consequent to natural or other disasters. The mission of the California State Military Reserve may also enhance such special programs and activities deemed appropriate by the Governor or the Adjutant General (California Military and Veterans Code 550). Section 101 of the California

Military and Veterans Code states:

“The rules and regulation for government of the U.S. Army, so far as they are not inconsistent with the rights reserved to the State of California, shall constitute the rules and regulation for the government of the State Militia.”
Thus, except where the CSMR has its own regulation in place, all Army and National Guard regulations which apply to the California National Guard apply to the CSMR.
Old 02-07-2015, 9:34 PM

Interesting. Basically, US Army rules apply unless the CSMR makes their own rule about it. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2015, 11:23 AM

Been really curious about the CSMR for awhile now. The burning question in my mind however is, "If I join, do I get to buy real guns?"
Old 10-09-2015, 2:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Sorry for the necro-post but lots of bad info here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuscooler View Post
\\

I've been in the CSMR for 2 years. Never handled a firearm from the armory, unless you in a SECFOR unit it's not going to happen.

Repelling out of Black Hawk's isn't true either. The 160th Aviation, no longer has a relationship with the SMR. The C.O. that did left.
Then you are simply misinformed. I've been in the SMR for just over 1.5 years and I've handled real M4s. A buddy actually got to shoot a MK 19.

As far as repelling from Blackhawks, I wouldn't be so sure about that. My county search and rescue team was deployed from a NG helicopter on a SAR mission just a couple months ago. SMR has a new SAR unit down at Los Al. If they are ever deployed on a mission, chances are good it will be from a NG chopper.

Quote:
So, if I'm walking around in uniform, is there a legal obligation to salute CSMR officers?
Of course... but then why would you be "walking around" in uniform? We're not allowed to do that. Only on duty and going directly to or from.

Quote:
Interesting. Basically, US Army rules apply unless the CSMR makes their own rule about it. Lol
That's exactly it. Most notably, the famous AR-670-1. We go off the Army's 670-1 and then the SMR has SMR-670-1 which only modifies the key differences between the normal Army AR-670-1. For example, our ASU. We follow Army AR-670-1 to the T, but then when we read SMR-670-1, it states the differences:

Name Plaque is red instead of black.
Buttons are California Eureka buttons instead of federal
DUI is SMR's DUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberals_for_Liberty View Post
Been really curious about the CSMR for awhile now. The burning question in my mind however is, "If I join, do I get to buy real guns?"
Nope... does not impart any more rights than a normal citizen.... aside from a 15% discount at Home Depot....

As I said, I have been with the SMR approaching 2 years. It is the finest bunch of people I've ever met and it is a pleasure serving. If any former service people miss the camaraderie and the service, they should join. If non-prior people missed the opportunity and want to serve, they should. You can get out at any time so there is no reason not to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 10-09-2015, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
Sorry for the necro-post but lots of bad info here.

Then you are simply misinformed. I've been in the SMR for just over 1.5 years and I've handled real M4s. A buddy actually got to shoot a MK 19.

As far as repelling from Blackhawks, I wouldn't be so sure about that. My county search and rescue team was deployed from a NG helicopter on a SAR mission just a couple months ago. SMR has a new SAR unit down at Los Al. If they are ever deployed on a mission, chances are good it will be from a NG chopper.

Of course... but then why would you be "walking around" in uniform? We're not allowed to do that. Only on duty and going directly to or from.

That's exactly it. Most notably, the famous AR-670-1. We go off the Army's 670-1 and then the SMR has SMR-670-1 which only modifies the key differences between the normal Army AR-670-1. For example, our ASU. We follow Army AR-670-1 to the T, but then when we read SMR-670-1, it states the differences:

Name Plaque is red instead of black.
Buttons are California Eureka buttons instead of federal
DUI is SMR's DUI

Nope... does not impart any more rights than a normal citizen.... aside from a 15% discount at Home Depot....

As I said, I have been with the SMR approaching 2 years. It is the finest bunch of people I've ever met and it is a pleasure serving. If any former service people miss the camaraderie and the service, they should join. If non-prior people missed the opportunity and want to serve, they should. You can get out at any time so there is no reason not to.
Really misinformed? I've been around long enough to know it's not true. The only weapons handling is done at the courtesy of other units, usually as a 'favor' or if your unit does range training/qualification with the SATT team at Camp Roberts. The second point I must make is SECFOR is the only unit within SMR that has legal orders to be armed by the TAG.

Everything else is true for the most part. Most units in the SMR have to purchase most of their gear also.
Old 10-10-2015, 3:52 PM

Lots of FUD on this thread....in fact far too much. Let me try to clear the air yet once again.

Weapons = A Qualified YES. OPSEC (PM me) for more info, but essentially atleast six teams get these: SECFOR, State MP, CATM, READY SECFOR Augmentee, SATT and some line units that do M4 / M9 / M240 /M249 SAW / Mk19, M2training / certification for CANG units ALL have ability. Some have more limited & controlled access, but there is access nonetheless.

I will not even delve into Order 3000-14-1 & the recent FRAGO, but there are additional possibilities beyond what was just previously mentioned. Anyone - respectfully at any rank - who'd like to debate this - feel free to PM ping me.

10% discount at Lowe's or Home Depot. Sometimes discounts from places like Bud's Guns and Trijicon and Rock Island Arms (my home town team).

Civil Support units can include a component of advanced CANG S&R style activities that do exist. The fact you may not have heard about it, understand it, done it, witnessed it or believed does not negate the potential mission or capabilities).

Some units are working with DERMO to obtain gear (its free for our use). Best suggestion is work with a S-4 CANG officer or NCO to help you make the trip and go "shopping" for what you need. Don't take things you have Zero use for....

All soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen are required to render salute to officer ranks, regardless of their branch and or Title 10 / 32 affiliation. For God's sake - don't make me quote AR, MCO and other regs - I have bigger fish to fry since recently burying my USMC-R son.

Peace - out. LT G

PS - There are clearly established abilities to be in dress uniform while not at drill....say a funeral or military wedding. All customs and courtesies still apply. Some soldiers and airmen are actually on duty more than drill weekends (Recruiters, Chaplains, JAG, PAO, etc), so being in uniform on weekends other than the 1st Saturday of the month is not uncommon. Going and playing soldier at the gun range (alone) is another story altogether. Don't risk criminal prosecution and involuntary separation by not conducting yourselves with honor and distinction.

Last edited by CrazyCobraManTim; 10-10-2015 at 3:56 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 10-10-2015, 6:41 PM

I'm a former California Army National Guardsman. I used to drill out of Los Alamitos and saw SMR folks all the time. At first, I didn't know what they were until another NG soldier told me about them.

As an enlisted ARNG soldier, I ALWAYS saluted SMR officers. ALWAYS. It's part of proper military discipline and bearing and the SMR officers deserve a proper salute.

The SMR folks have my deepest respect for what they do. Serving the state on a strictly volunteer basis without pay or any significant benefits (e.g., no pension, GI Bill, etc). That's the very definition of selfless service and patriotism, IMHO. SMR soldiers should never think of themselves as inferior to the Guard or Regular Army troops.

Heck, most Guard and Regular Army soldiers I know would never serve if they weren't getting the GI Bill, pension, or pay, LOL.
Old 10-11-2015, 2:52 PM

Thanks for the kind words and Kudos Nacho ETR. You are right on target!

Hooah and Semper Fi....