Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-03-2015, 9:26 PM

Default Ontario Gun Show Report?

So who went? How are jerky prices? Dream catcher selection? I fuss over it every time it comes through but hate to spend $20+ and come home empty handed.
Any decent milsurp deals? I have a k31 itch but it's not too bad yet.
Old 01-03-2015, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

Went.... Wasted $20...

Ammo wasn't too bad, but the line was crazy and not too far from online prices once you apply tax.

Picked up a couple AK bayonets for a good price, and some Norinco 7.62 I had been looking for.. But again, I spent more for parking and admission than in merchandise... Waiting for the Orange County to come around again.

Not much of a mil-surp selection, saw 1 K-31 and he wanted $500....
Old 01-03-2015, 9:56 PM

Was the $500 K-31 at least pristine? Sniper variant? Something?
Old 01-03-2015, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member

It was in pretty good shape... Not a sniper.

Only one Mosin under $200... And it sold as I walked in (9:00).

The C&R market was killed by the 2014 Registsation..... But I don't remember the Ontario show being very good for C&R anyhow.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:31 PM
Calguns Addict

I think I saw the vendor that last time people sad was selling humped up 98k Mauser's. He was trying to really gouge some Finn Mosins due to antique receiver status. Kept telling people about how was only cash and carry guns there. Show blew. I picked up a rare non C&R pistol partly just not to walk out empty handed but is a model and brand known for being of questionable QC.

Got enough extras with it though that even if I decide to sell it off which is likely I will come out ahead. Absolutely no good C&R deals or other deals in the show that I saw. Same tired old overpriced crap. As usual no more CGN booth. I have feeling it will never be back.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I think I saw the vendor that last time people sad was selling humped up 98k Mauser's. He was trying to really gouge some Finn Mosins due to antique receiver status. Kept telling people about how was only cash and carry guns there. Show blew. I picked up a rare non C&R pistol partly just not to walk out empty handed but is a model and brand known for being of questionable QC.

Got enough extras with it though that even if I decide to sell it off which is likely I will come out ahead. Absolutely no good C&R deals or other deals in the show that I saw. Same tired old overpriced crap. As usual no more CGN booth. I have feeling it will never be back.

Yup.... $695 for a faded non-matching M39.... Hmmm
Old 01-04-2015, 7:33 AM
Calguns Addict

got tired of AR everything. i would like to pick up a 1,000 pack of cleaning patches and maybe a large bottle of hoppies solvent that is no longer sold at retail gun stores. CA sucks as a gun hobby state.
Old 01-04-2015, 7:40 AM
Calguns Addict

John, I've found it best to just order that stuff online. You get a better selection and can shop while it's on sale.
Old 01-04-2015, 7:42 AM
Veteran Member

I haven't been to a show in years. Bought a good part of my collection at Costa Mesa but the registration thing shot it all to s**t like I figured it would. Might go to the next one just to scout ammo, components or maybe some parts, but won't likely be buying any rifles. John's right, California just screwed this hobby left, right, and center. Sad too, that the gun shows suffer for it as well. I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!
Old 01-04-2015, 7:51 AM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I am new to this and have gone to 3 shows recently, came back with very little except two magazines for my guns.
No .22 if you sleep in, prices nothing special, too many non-gun items.
I'll go to the local swap meet to add to my huge collection of dream catchers (0) and non-gun items.
I'll make my own jerky.
Wish I'd gotten into this game a long time ago.
Old 01-04-2015, 7:51 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I heard this one was a real C&R collector's treasure trove:

M91/30
Decent (counter)bore
All (electro penciled or lined out)matching
Premium round receiver variant
Desirable "Russian Kriegsmodell" wartime stocks
Bayonets, slings, and other accoutrements also available (sold separately)
"GUNSHOW SPECIAL" $350 each or take 2 for $699 + tax + DROS + parking + admission

Authentic Russian military ammo also available, blow out priced at $150 per can + can opener + tax

(Any of the above specials are subject to prior sale. Each Mosin will come with a swag bag chockful of 'Murica:

BHO $3 bills
Funny 2A stickers
"Intruders will be shot" Placards (Prosecutors love these!!)
Discount Funbook for use at the food court and Far East Indian Trader booth (Premium belts, wallets, moccasins, turquoise, stun guns, high end airsoft)
Free use of Red Rascal charging station

Between 11-2pm you can also have your photograph taken with a real life highly decorated American military reenactor! Get autographs and listen to a dramatic retelling of the Battle of the Bulge by a real life 30 year old 4 star General*

*Reenactor

Some photos I snapped while there:

Old 01-04-2015, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I heard this one was a real C&R collector's treasure trove:

M91/30
Decent (counter)bore
All (electro penciled or lined out)matching
Premium round receiver variant
Desirable "Russian Kriegsmodell" wartime stocks
Bayonets, slings, and other accoutrements also available (sold separately)
"GUNSHOW SPECIAL" $350 each or take 2 for $699 + tax + DROS + parking + admission

Authentic Russian military ammo also available, blow out priced at $150 per can + can opener + tax

(Any of the above specials are subject to prior sale. Each Mosin will come with a swag bag chockful of 'Murica:

BHO $3 bills
Funny 2A stickers
"Intruders will be shot" Placards (Prosecutors love these!!)
Discount Funbook for use at the food court and Far East Indian Trader booth (Premium belts, wallets, moccasins, turquoise, stun guns, high end airsoft)
Free use of Red Rascal charging station

Between 11-2pm you can also have your photograph taken with a real life highly decorated American military reenactor! Get autographs and listen to a dramatic retelling of the Battle of the Bulge by a real life 30 year old 4 star General*

*Reenactor

Some photos I snapped while there:

I might be wrong, but I think I detect a slight bit of sarcasm from Bobby.
Old 01-04-2015, 9:52 AM
Calguns Addict

One good thing we do have here is a high density of gun shops and quite a few shows. Yes most of them suck but in a lot of the free states the shops are fewer and further between. For them internet makes even more sense. We have a huge population base in LA/OC and even the surrounding areas of the IE so I still find quite a few interesting items as widows sell off items and as people get older and get rid of some items. But I put a lot of time and effort in to scouting for deals.

One gun I've been seeing at the shows is a Chinese SKS it has that jungle conditions look to it and is non impor marked. It is now priced at $450. I also seen a couple like at at same price last year in a local shop. I'd rather pay closer to $300 since they don't have bring back papers but I've noticed a trend.

The Vietnam vets are getting up in age so I think more guns are coming out of the closets. A friend in CO got a non import Soviet Tokarev from estate of a Nam vet that died.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertWalker View Post
I might be wrong, but I think I detect a slight bit of sarcasm from Bobby.
Bobby may have some sarcasm, but sarcasm like humor is rooted in truth.
Now if we could just get him to one of our monthly C&R shoots........
Old 01-04-2015, 12:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK all day View Post
Went.... Wasted $20...

Ammo wasn't too bad, but the line was crazy and not too far from online prices once you apply tax.

Picked up a couple AK bayonets for a good price, and some Norinco 7.62 I had been looking for.. But again, I spent more for parking and admission than in merchandise... Waiting for the Orange County to come around again.

Not much of a mil-surp selection, saw 1 K-31 and he wanted $500....
What was special about the Norinco ammo and how much? I did pick up a 50rd box of 44spl Blazer gold dot JHP for $22. I also parked far and walked and I carpooled. Every little bit helps. Used coupon too. Last time I went I had free admission.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:45 PM

The Costa Mesa show is definitely better but you never know what will turn up at the smaller shows like Ontario and Del Mar. Gun collecting, especially for C&R pieces, is a process best enjoyed as much for the quest as the prize. I went to the Thanksgiving show in Costa Mesa with an old revolver to trade and ended up with a beautiful Astra model 600/43. Cool old stuff is out there and if you don't go to the shows you'll never know what you might be missing.
Old 01-04-2015, 1:30 PM
Calguns Addict

The hunt gets old when you waste all the time and money on gas and admission and see nothing especially if it happens a lot. I do usually produce at Costa Mesa show though. Del Mar and Ontario have been quite bad.
Old 01-04-2015, 4:21 PM
Calguns Addict

sadly i think my interest has peeked in our hobby.A gun show three years ago was like Christmas. i would take maybe 400 bucks and just run out of money. i never bought a C&R at a gun show but i lusted over them all. now i can miss going and it is no big deal. like all my interest i went overboard and burnt out. Last year i sold guns i thought i would never sell.
Old 01-04-2015, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
What was special about the Norinco ammo and how much? I did pick up a 50rd box of 44spl Blazer gold dot JHP for $22. I also parked far and walked and I carpooled. Every little bit helps. Used coupon too. Last time I went I had free admission.
I am working on collecting a good amount of the Norinco ammo variants, not for shooting but for collecting dust. Payed $15 for 2 boxes. I haven't been to a. Show in 2 years and forgot they charged for parking and got trapped before being able to find somewhere else to park, and it was also a last minute plan and I drive alone... I know, a fail.
Old 01-04-2015, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

A pic or a separate thread of the AK ammo variants would be interesting. I bought 2 boxes of the silver colored box Norinco 7.62x39 $4 each. Yes, plan ahead if doing this show. Also another problem is one of the better used gun dealers is no longer doing this show which makes it even less desirable for me to come.

I enjoyed seeing the guy walking around with a sandwich board on his back advertising his gouge 22 bricks which could be had cheaper from various vendors at show. Was even funnier seeing him salute the flag during the pledge of allegiance. A fun sight I saw was at Ventura show when I saw a fat old slob in a little rascal zipping around the big cluster F line to get in trying to gouge various guns and 22 bricks.

He is almost as annoying as that guy that tries to hit you up in gun show parking lots selling American flag stickers and various military themed hats.
Old 01-04-2015, 5:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
A pic or a separate thread of the AK ammo variants would be interesting. I bought 2 boxes of the silver colored box Norinco 7.62x39 $4 each. Yes, plan ahead if doing this show. Also another problem is one of the better used gun dealers is no longer doing this show which makes it even less desirable for me to come.

I enjoyed seeing the guy walking around with a sandwich board on his back advertising his gouge 22 bricks which could be had cheaper from various vendors at show. Was even funnier seeing him salute the flag during the pledge of allegiance. A fun sight I saw was at Ventura show when I saw a fat old slob in a little rascal zipping around the big cluster F line to get in trying to gouge various guns and 22 bricks.

He is almost as annoying as that guy that tries to hit you up in gun show parking lots selling American flag stickers and various military themed hats.

Looks like you got the same as me, but a much better price! I must have missed those! Hoping I can get a better deal on some others at the Costa Mesa show.

Saw the same guy..... I laughed... His daughter (I assume) following him around holding the bricks.

Haven't ran into that guy yet, and I'm thinking I'm lucky.
Old 01-04-2015, 6:04 PM
Calguns Addict

A little known fact is that Ontario venue is always fully booked. Costa Mesa and DelMar and Ventura always have empty table space and wide open aisles no matter how much Crossroads tries to juggle the tables to make it look full.

I'm tired of seeing new ways to have non gun related tables and some of the non gun table spreads are massive like the crystal and porcelain seller. Even with gun stuff the ripoff junk magasine dealer takes up a lot of spaces. Seeing Scentecy candles and massage toys is a newer phenomenon like the pillows. Used to be it was just beef jerky and Beanie Babies.

Basically I'm paying to maybe see 2-3 vendors I know I might get something from. And they are getting up in age.
Old 01-04-2015, 6:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
I haven't been to a show in years. Bought a good part of my collection at Costa Mesa but the registration thing shot it all to s**t like I figured it would. Might go to the next one just to scout ammo, components or maybe some parts, but won't likely be buying any rifles. John's right, California just screwed this hobby left, right, and center. Sad too, that the gun shows suffer for it as well. I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!
Last Nov I walked out with my Arisaka for $250. Only rifle I bought at a show. Sad I won't walk out with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfield47 View Post
John, I've found it best to just order that stuff online. You get a better selection and can shop while it's on sale.
Xmas present to myself was almost $100 spent on ammo off Graffs. Bought all the Sale stuff FTW

I'd go to the show for bayos, but I'd much rather have the time to research and find the right one off GB and maybe not get gouged

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
sadly i think my interest has peeked in our hobby.A gun show three years ago was like Christmas. i would take maybe 400 bucks and just run out of money. i never bought a C&R at a gun show but i lusted over them all. now i can miss going and it is no big deal. like all my interest i went overboard and burnt out. Last year i sold guns i thought i would never sell.
I'm right there with you, NAB. There are rifles I want, but no more space. I have nothing I want to sell. This is prob a good thing. Buy some ammo here and there, finally start reloading... maybe. I think I'm done with buying rifles for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemBastards View Post
Judging from the last shoot I think we are the wrong group to ask about sighting in Mosins haha.
Quote:
I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!
Old 01-04-2015, 7:32 PM

I'm no expert at bargaining but its been my experience at most of these shows that a lot of the smaller C&R dealers there are willing to negotiate. There's the big guy we all know, the one with all the Garands and M1 Carbines, etc.. who's got beaters priced at 900 and mis-matched stuff priced at 850, but a lot of those old guys sitting around with cowboy hats on and a table with about 6 guns on it are pretty decent. Sure they have a somewhat high tag hanging from it, but 9 out of 10 will bargain because they know what its worth and you know what its worth, and they know that you know what its worth.
Old 01-04-2015, 7:55 PM

millwall had some decent prices on 124Gr. 9mm +P ammo. Me and my girlfriend brought some. My girlfriend got a great deal on a really nice soft rifle case. The deals are there, just on certain items. BTW....MY girlfriend is getting her own ar-15 built..so she was really excited to be there. She already has a brand new glock...so the rifle is icing on the cake. Today was a good fun day for both of us.
Old 01-04-2015, 8:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I've been to the Ontario show only a couple of times but I don't think it's really worth the effort. The Costa Mesa show is bigger and better but I haven't been to it since 2013. It's too bad they have so many non gun related tables and booths. I guess it's more about the money for the people who put it on than it is about the quality of the show.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:58 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

The upside to the Costa Mesa show is that you can walk over to the OC Marketplace swap meet afterwards, which is usually quite good.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:00 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
A fun sight I saw was at Ventura show when I saw a fat old slob in a little rascal zipping around the big cluster F line to get in trying to gouge various guns and 22 bricks.
We need reasonable, common sense legislation to close the fat old slob in a little rascal gun show loop hole.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:04 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarquez View Post
I have a k31 itch but it's not too bad yet
Scratch it! I did....

Old 01-05-2015, 5:10 PM

Bobby if you keep posting that K31 with that beautiful leather cheek piece that screams swiss sweetness, I'm going to order one and get slapped by my wife for drooling over a rifle more than I do her. For my left cheek's sake, and my bank account, stop it!!!
Old 01-05-2015, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm too tired to walk that swap meet after I do the show. I walk around the whole show at least a few times. I usually go to both days of Costa Mesa or AZ shows. I do all 3 days of SAR. Plus that swap meet has too much new stuff for my tastes.
Old 01-05-2015, 5:58 PM
Calguns Addict

That Swiss cheek piece is very nice. Actually I was going out with a Puerto Rican girl with a huge "buttstock" that liked having both her left and right "cheek piece" slapped.
Old 01-05-2015, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
got tired of AR everything. i would like to pick up a 1,000 pack of cleaning patches and maybe a large bottle of hoppies solvent that is no longer sold at retail gun stores. CA sucks as a gun hobby state.
Last time I was in Ammo Bros in Ontario, I seem to remember them having a big bottle of Hoppes there. I happen to work 5-10 minutes away from there, I can swing off and check if you would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Seriously??
Have you looked around?
Nutjobs are the staple of CGN, at least in OT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Tree View Post
Then again, Dick's never ceases to leave a bad taste in the mouth.
Old 01-05-2015, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Scratch it! I did....

I think my unissued might like that. We'll see if it's worthy after this weekend's shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemBastards View Post
Judging from the last shoot I think we are the wrong group to ask about sighting in Mosins haha.
Quote:
I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!
Old 01-06-2015, 6:34 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah it's been 2-3 years since I hit the show, and I was broke last time I went too, so I don't think I even bought any ammo. The fact that they bang you for parking too really makes it a downer. I'm sure there's still a few good things to see there, but if I can't walk out with them, I really see no point. Maybe i'll hit the next one for old time's sake.