Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 01-15-2019, 7:34 AM

Default FSC Certified Instructor Training

Hi Everybody,

I'm in the process of obtaining my FFL and have a couple of questions concerning the FSC Certified Instructor training requirements. I've read over CA Penal Code ยง 31635 (2017) but, I'm still kinda confused on exactly what the requirements are for the "Train the Trainer" requirements, is it -- take a basic pistol course? Take a CCW course? Complete all of the NRA Certified Instructor requirements? Or, is it something else?
Any recommendations on a course to take on Riverside County that will satisfy the FSC Certified Instructor requirements?

Thanks,

Cliff
Old 01-15-2019, 8:13 AM

I'm an NRA certified instructor in pistol and shotgun. I did those years ago in OC. Once you are a certified instructor you can do the NRA RSO certification online. That's how I qualified to do the CA DOJ Instructor Certification.
Old 01-15-2019, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
I'm an NRA certified instructor in pistol and shotgun. I did those years ago in OC. Once you are a certified instructor you can do the NRA RSO certification online. That's how I qualified to do the CA DOJ Instructor Certification.
I was curious, how do you qualify and be certify as an NRA instructor? Do you just take such a class for qualification?

Or, all the training classes I've taken would qualify for training part and send in the paper works?
Old 01-15-2019, 8:50 AM
1/2 BANNED
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpark09 View Post
I was curious, how do you qualify and be certify as an NRA instructor? Do you just take such a class for qualification?

Or, all the training classes I've taken would qualify for training part and send in the paper works?
You take a nra instructor class and test for what you want to teach.

https://firearmtraining.nra.org/become-an-instructor/
Old 01-15-2019, 9:02 AM
CGSSA Director
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I took the NRA Handgun Instructor course, and sent that evidence in with the required application.
Old 01-15-2019, 9:03 AM

I searched around until I found a place that offered a class that met DOJ's criteria for "Firearm Safety Instructor Course Deemed Equivalent by DOJ". I found one at a local sporting good shop that did a lot of CCW and other firearm related training. They have since gone out of business so I'm not sure what I'll do when I need to renew. I would think most ranges that offer CCW type training might have a class that qualifies.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:52 AM

Thanks guys!

Looks like I was using the wrong verbiage to search for a course.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:37 PM

I forgot, you also need to have your COE.

Effective January 1, 2015, all DOJ Certified Instructor applicants are required to have a valid Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and must obtain a COE prior to submitting an application as a DOJ Certified Instructor.

Organizations Specified by Penal Code section 31635, subdivision (b) as providing Acceptable Firearms Safety Training.

Penal Code section 31635, subdivision (b), authorizes Department of Justice to certify individuals possessing a training certificate from an organization enumerated under this subdivision to be a DOJ Certified Instructor.

The training organizations specified under Penal Code section 31635, subdivision (b) are:

1.Department of Consumer Affairs, State of California-Firearm Training Instructor.
2.Director of Civilian Marksmanship, Instructor or Rangemaster.
3.Federal Government, Certified Rangemaster or Firearm Instructor.
4.Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Firearm Instructor Training Program or Rangemaster.
5.United States Military, Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) as marksmanship or firearms instructor. Assignment as Range Officer or Safety Officer is not sufficient.
6.National Rifle Association-Certified Instructor, Law Enforcement Instructor, Rangemaster, or Training Counselor.
7.Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST), State of California-Firearm Instructor or Rangemaster.
8.Authorization from a State of California accredited school to teach a firearm training course.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora Serrata View Post
I forgot, you also need to have your COE.
Thanks again.

I have my COE and an FFL 03.

I spoke with a few places today, guess the DOJ Instructor course is not exactly popular with most of the firearms training facilities near me. I did find a couple of places though that should be able to help me for a reasonable cost.
Old 01-15-2019, 1:14 PM

There's a list of "comparable entities" that offer this training on the DOJ website: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/fscinfo
Old 01-21-2019, 10:42 PM
In Memoriam

I just sent in copies of my COE and NRA Instructor certificate.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 01-23-2019, 6:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
I just sent in copies of my COE and NRA Instructor certificate.
If he was an NRA Instructor, then he wouldn't need to get the CA DOJ firearms instructor training, would he? He could do that, but it tends to take more time and is more expensive.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-23-2019, 8:23 PM

Wow!

Received my DOJ training on 1/17, sent in my application and cert on 1/18, and received my DOJ Certified Instructor approval today (1/23)!
If only DOJ could work that fast on my RAW applications (submitted 6/9/18), USNA applications (submitted 1/3/19), and my C&R acquisition applications (submitted 12/26/18).