Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 09-06-2012, 6:23 AM

Default Castro Valley 10/20-21, almost sold out!

We are down to six tickets left for the next Castro Valley shoot, so if you are thinking of coming out, now's the time to grab them!

Registration link:
https://www.eventbrite.com/event/2632904087
Old 09-10-2012, 9:19 PM

It just sold out on me. I had a problem with paypal and when I got back no go... I did sign up for dec though. I have a quick question about mounting my sling on my 795. How do I do it using the standard studs that come on the stock. Should I use key rings and call it day? Seems like there aren't any hooks that can fit inside those tiny holes.
Old 09-11-2012, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma6 View Post
It just sold out on me. I had a problem with paypal and when I got back no go... I did sign up for dec though. I have a quick question about mounting my sling on my 795. How do I do it using the standard studs that come on the stock. Should I use key rings and call it day? Seems like there aren't any hooks that can fit inside those tiny holes.
You want a set of quick release 1 1/4" sling swivels, something like this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/774...set-1-1-4-blue

They have a small rod that slips through the hole in the sling studs on your stock, you close a spring-loaded gate that keeps it from sliding off, and then thread your sling through the big loop. Most gun shops have them.
Old 09-19-2012, 7:53 PM
CGSSA Leader

Thats what I did to my 795. Oh and I'll be there
Old 09-25-2012, 3:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I signed up last month, I'll see you guys there! I put tech-sights on my Marlin 795, got some QD sling swivels and bought a sling off eBay! My rear sight is cranked over to the left though, so I have one of those with a slightly canted front sight. A fellow CGer helped me clean it up a bit.

As a shooting mat, I found that I had a moving blanket in the garage, that will be my ghetto mat!

I'm ready! Excited!
Old 09-25-2012, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

You're going to be a lot more comfortable on that blanket than most of the people with real shooting mats.
Old 09-25-2012, 7:20 PM

Moving mats are great for shooting. But if there's chance of rain (not likely at all) get some plastic to cover it - they also make great sponges
Old 09-29-2012, 7:42 AM

anyone want to sell their ticket?
Old 10-08-2012, 4:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeople View Post
Moving mats are great for shooting. But if there's chance of rain (not likely at all) get some plastic to cover it - they also make great sponges
LOL thanks, I've got some plastic I can use under it. I also have a picnic blanket with a plastic side, so that can sit on top of the blanket thing.

Now I gotta go buy a folding wagon or something to carry all this crap around in! (moving blanket, folding chair, lunch box, range box, etc...)

The only bummer for this shoot is that the San Mateo bridge will be closed Oct 19-22...so instead of just going from my house across the bride to Chabot, I'll have to make a ridiculous detour to get to the other side of the bay!

See you guys there!

Edit: Walmart $6 "Riddell" elbow pads purchased, I'm ready to go!
I'm all set, all I need are elbow pads now!

Last edited by Lead Waster; 10-09-2012 at 9:11 AM..
Old 10-16-2012, 7:16 PM

There have been several cancels on this shoot, and according to Eventbrite there are now 5 tickets available, if anyone wants to jump in on short notice. The weather is supposed to moderate and be mid-70s by the weekend.
Old 10-22-2012, 8:48 AM
CGSSA Leader

So how did the shoot go? I think it went great. At least Saturday did since I couldn't make it Sunday. The fog was annoying but burned off after lunch. How did Sunday go? How many patches were earned?
Old 10-23-2012, 6:48 AM

We had four more Riflemen made on Sunday - Paul M, Ian, Mikhail and Simon - and at least six others at 198 and over. Weather was nicer - no fog - but the range was a lot noisier!
Old 10-23-2012, 4:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I had a great time! On my way home on Saturday, I stopped by Big 5 to buy a scope. The Tech sights on my Marlin are great, but my eyes aren't. I could barely see the bottom targets!

After sighting in, it shot quite well, then I had problems with eye relief and then I was hitting really high. Having never shot a scope before, I think it will take some practice before the next shoot!

I sucked the second day, maybe because of the scope vs tech sights. But I blame me more than the rifle. I'll get that patch next time!

i was shooting average at about 125 score
Old 10-23-2012, 6:37 PM
Veteran Member

Eyesight can be a real issue with the bottom row. I found with the tech sights and my eyesight the lowest row was marginal and I was guessing a little about elevation. I trusted my NPOA and basically on every AQT there was a 50% chance I'd get it right and I'd score 220ish and a 50% chance I'd get a nice little group just *above* each target and the score of course would be terrible.

But now that you know the basics you should be OK - figure out the scope (you might need some kind of cheek pad to get a quality cheek weld - my wife did - we use one from Larue tactical), and set a timer and practice getting into position and dryfiring at cadence and doing the reloads and all that. It'll give you some idea of how much time you have to confirm NPOA before you have to start shooting on the timed parts. A lot of being able to do the AQT efficiently is being able to get into the right position the first time without a lot of fiddling and dry fire's perfect for that.
Old 10-24-2012, 8:05 PM

I just got a set of the rear aperture inserts from Tech-sights, and will be trying them out soon. They reduce the size of the peep-hole, which creates a sort of pin-hole camera effect and makes it easier to get a focus with aging eyes.

I tried an initial experiment with reducing the size by putting a bit of masking tape over the regular rear sight and poking a hole through smaller than the stock aperture. It seemed to help - at any rate I got tighter groups - so I splurged the $15. I'll post a report after some range testing.
Old 10-24-2012, 9:44 PM
CGSSA Leader

I bought an assortment of AR front sight posts from KNS Precision and they seemed to help as well. I forgot to switch my TS100 rear aperture to see if it helps.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:46 PM

Eyesight was my big problem too.

Couldn't get a good sight picture on the small targets of the AQT. Thing was, my redcoats were great. Just shy of running the table with a couple half inch groups. But the AQT small targets, I was just guessing.

I'm coming prepared with a scope next time.