Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-08-2018, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

Default Safarliand 7TS Level II: New Style SLS?

Hi folks,

I was speaking to a local SO deputy the other day about work stuff and noticed that he had a different Level II holster on, but forgot to ask him about it after business had concluded.

It's the G17 7TS light bearing variant with ALS and what appeared to be the SLS locking function, but without the hood. His draw stroke appeared to have been identical to the ALS/SLS combo (thumb rocks forward then back and requires manual locking of the SLS style lock upon reholstering). I searched Safariland's website, but couldn't find anything that looked similar.

I asked a few other deputies, but it doesn't appear to be their standard issue gear. Any of you folks have an idea of what is was?

Imagine this without the SLS hood and Level III guard, but with retained "thumb-forward" unlatch of the SLS (looked like a nub).

Thanks

Radian & Aero Pistol lowers, Folsom

Last edited by code_blue; 10-08-2018 at 3:27 PM..
Old 10-08-2018, 7:20 PM

https://www.copquest.com/23-series.htm
Old 10-08-2018, 9:12 PM

All those holsters are “modular” to some extent. You can add or remove any of the features you like or don’t like. This is also helpful when repairing them. I used to break the hoods all the time.

Is it possible he bought he bought a standard model and just removed some features??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2018, 10:52 PM

Hmm, sounds like a convo I just had with a local PD guy at a work event. I gave him the link to where I bought mine though.

Anyway, this is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Mi...pop_d_pd_title

The image shows that it’s not a light bearing model, but it is.

The product number on the back of my holster is 7390-832-46/2017. When I search it on google or build the holster on safariland’s site, it comes up as 7390-832-411.

I don’t like the hood or the rotating backstrap hood. If you remove the rotating backstrap hood, it leaves the hole there. I prefer my holster with the ALS and the just the ALS guard on top.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop1051 View Post
All those holsters are “modular” to some extent. You can add or remove any of the features you like or don’t like. This is also helpful when repairing them. I used to break the hoods all the time.

Is it possible he bought he bought a standard model and just removed some features??

I suspect what you've described is what he had. Either he cut off or broke off the SLS hood and left the locking part there. I'm sure that I'll see him again, so I'll find out for sure next time.

It could even be an aftermarket part that replaces the SLS hood, but keeps the level II function like the "Nub Mod" from OTDefense for the ALS. The SLS-like system that I saw sort of reminds me of the new RDS holster hoods and how they swing open and closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
Hmm, sounds like a convo I just had with a local PD guy at a work event. I gave him the link to where I bought mine though.

Anyway, this is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Mi...pop_d_pd_title

The image shows that it’s not a light bearing model, but it is.

The product number on the back of my holster is 7390-832-46/2017. When I search it on google or build the holster on safariland’s site, it comes up as 7390-832-411.

I don’t like the hood or the rotating backstrap hood. If you remove the rotating backstrap hood, it leaves the hole there. I prefer my holster with the ALS and the just the ALS guard on top.
That wasn't me, esy (I don't work for city), but he was one of your guys. I'll try to ask him the next time that I see him.

I don't like the hood either. I find that it binds when I don't want it to. I do much prefer the 7TS series over the 6000 series holsters for the same reason.

Last edited by code_blue; 10-09-2018 at 2:32 AM..
Old 10-08-2018, 11:57 PM

Default Safarliand 7TS Level II: New Style SLS?

My wife uses and loves the 7TS holster for her duty G19. I use the RDS holster for my G41 (the G41 fits in a G34/G35 holster without modification). Both of ours are ALS/SLS level 3.

Old 10-11-2018, 6:25 AM

Is this maybe what you are talking about?

https://www.safariland.com/products/...ard-32204.html

This is an accessory that fits most ALS holsters, mainly the 7390 / 6390 which only have the ALS
Old 10-11-2018, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDog View Post
Is this maybe what you are talking about?

https://www.safariland.com/products/...ard-32204.html

This is an accessory that fits most ALS holsters, mainly the 7390 / 6390 which only have the ALS

Yes! That's exactly what it was! Thank you. Looks like I was searching for SLS upgrades rather than ALS upgrades. I'll be ordering a few. Thanks again.

Old 10-11-2018, 9:34 AM

They sell those at Curtis Blue Line in West Sacramento.

Last edited by iDog; 10-14-2018 at 10:55 PM..
Old 10-11-2018, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I sell them at my work Curtis Blue Line in West Sacramento. SSD uses those a lot.

Copy. I'll take the opportunity to visit at some point. Thank you again for your help. I like that it is an actual SL part. I'm not sure why SL doesn't offer holsters with it already attached.

From the reviews I've read, it seems be a straight-down VS the down-forward of the SLS. I think the ALS guard might be a superior system especially if you run an RDS. I can totally see the RDS hitting the SLS hood if timing isn't perfect or "Murphy's" kicks in during real world applications.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by code_blue View Post
Copy. I'll take the opportunity to visit at some point. Thank you again for your help. I like that it is an actual SL part. I'm not sure why SL doesn't offer holsters with it already attached.

From the reviews I've read, it seems be a straight-down VS the down-forward of the SLS. I think the ALS guard might be a superior system especially if you run an RDS. I can totally see the RDS hitting the SLS hood if timing isn't perfect or "Murphy's" kicks in during real world applications.
Yes I like it better than the SLS setup also, since the SLS strap can renengage and prevent smooth reholstering. The ALS only setup is always smooth in and out.

Plus as a replaceable part they can be user changed. Note there are two versions of the ALS guard, one with and one without the curling reach guard. The reach guard will not work with the standalone ALS guard, hence the part that has both.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like there's a level III variant. Is that what you're referring to?

http://www.safariland.com/products/h...ard-34495.html

Old 10-11-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Looks like there's a level III variant. Is that what you're referring to?

http://www.safariland.com/products/h...ard-34495.html

Yes, because the other version wont line up with an existing reach guard (curved piece) that comes with the holster. So if you like that feature, you need to order the pictured version. Most people don't and get the regular 6006 ALS guard.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:41 PM

Do you think I could replace my SLS with this feature?

Old 10-14-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Do you think I could replace my SLS with this feature?

Only if you also have an ALS like on a 6360 or 7360.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Only if you also have an ALS like on a 6360 or 7360.

Yup. I have the ALS/SLS RMR holster. I hate how the strap and the RMR hood work.

I’ll be pricing this out ASAP.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Yup. I have the ALS/SLS RMR holster. I hate how the strap and the RMR hood work.

Should just unscrew with the provided Allen wrench. The ALS guards are pretty cheap. They have them at CBL
Old 10-15-2018, 8:36 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

I'm running the ALS guard on my 7ts SLS holster.

It's ok, not nearly as robust as a SLS hood. Honestly, my draw is just as fast with the full SLS/ALS.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 10-15-2018, 9:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Robo, does yours have the rotating RDS hood? I can see how there would be too much going on there. The last product viewing for the RDS holsters, I'm sure I saw one without a rotating RDS hood and one with.

The one without didn't seem to guard the RDS from debri and was more of a straigt draw with ALS. IIRC, with the rotating hood you have to relock the RDS hood like the SLS and ALS guard. Is that correct?

Last edited by code_blue; 10-22-2018 at 3:41 PM..
Old 10-22-2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Robo, does yours have the rotating RDS hood? I can see how there would be too much going on there. The last product viewing for the RDS holsters, I'm sure I saw one without a rotating RDS hood and one with out.

The one without didn't seem to guard the RDS from debri and was more of a straigt draw with ALS. IIRC, with the rotating hood you have to relock the RDS hood like the SLS and ALS guard. Is that correct?

Mine has the RDS cover. If you push the hood fast/crooked, it can jam the RDS cover and only opens about 3/4 of the way. The last 1/4 has to be forced or jiggled a second to open up.

Personally, I think I’d just likely remove the RDS cover and the hood, then install this new feature. I use/draw/maintain my sidearm enough to feel comfortable that it wouldn’t go in cafes for for long. At the very least, I currently have a take home motor, and put my gear away every night. Sure, there’s a possibility of debris, but the holster still covers the RDS pretty well, even without the cover.

Old 10-22-2018, 3:46 PM
Veteran Member

Robo, there's the 6354DO holster for RDS, but without the hood. They have a black one (not sure if you need basketweave). That might be what you need.

http://www.safariland.com/-holsterfi...tic-DG_18.html

Last edited by code_blue; 10-22-2018 at 3:49 PM..