Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-23-2011, 3:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech bum View Post
Hello everyone.
I am wanting to apply for a CCW, but have a set of circumstances that may be a bit different than most. I am a retired LEO that falls outside of LEOSA. Nothing bad, just the nature of my retirement falls outside established parameters. When reading through the SO's app online I saw a statement that might cause me to be disqualified. I have PMed a few folks on here in the past about a good cause statement, but have delayed applying to avoid a denial. I was wondering if anyone who is well versed would be willing to take a phone call? Thanks.
Email me at bcombs@calgunsfoundation.org.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 06-27-2011, 5:38 PM

Received a letter today saying my Application has been accepted. Now I need to take the class and background check.

May 24 drop off App.
June 27 App accepted.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonGravy View Post
Received a letter today saying my Application has been accepted. Now I need to take the class and background check.

May 24 drop off App.
June 27 App accepted.
Thanks for the good intel!

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 07-07-2011, 1:03 PM

I received good feed back from El Gato. Will probably drop of my application early next week when next out by the SO. El Gato I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 08-15-2011, 6:23 PM

I submitted July 12th and just got a call today. Sgt said my justification looked good and said I should get my letter in about a week. The only hiccup was involvement in prior shootings and he cleared that up with three questions. Will see how it goes from here.
Old 08-19-2011, 2:54 PM

Just picked up my LTC. Got the call a couple hours ago to pick it up. Overall experience was good. A little long but considering other counties in CA, it wasn't to bad.

May 24 - dropped off app.
June 27- app accepted.
July 19- dropped off training cert. And checks. Live scan.
Aug 19- Picked up Permit.

May have been a shorter process but my schedule didn't allow for me to take the class for a few weeks.

Thanks for everyone's help and input.
Old 08-20-2011, 2:32 PM

Those that have gotten theirs approved, what was the good cause statement if you don't mind? PM is okay as well.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
- General Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 08-20-2011, 2:58 PM

I suggest reading kernccw.com's how to page for good cause. Write up what you have and e-mail it to el-gato and he will critique it for you. Thats what I did and it came out "pretty good" according to the licensing Sgt. It's good to read a few, but it really has to be your own. I just don't think mine would apply for anyone but me.
Old 08-20-2011, 3:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech bum View Post
I suggest reading kernccw.com's how to page for good cause. Write up what you have and e-mail it to el-gato and he will critique it for you. Thats what I did and it came out "pretty good" according to the licensing Sgt. It's good to read a few, but it really has to be your own. I just don't think mine would apply for anyone but me.
You know, I found this:

Well, it means it is very unlikely the Sheriff will issue you a permit based upon your 2nd amendment rights. Get over it. He will only issue it based upon his belief that you have “good cause”. We live in California and we have to deal with what is the law, not what we wish was the law. While there are some recent case law decisions which assist us in this matter and another case was recently filed that will hopefully clarify this matter, we are dealing with what is law and procedure on this day and in this time. Fortunately Sheriff Youngblood, and his predecessor’s, have a generous interpretation of what constitutes “good cause”. So let’s start by giving Sheriff Youngblood a break here, and let’s give him a good, “good cause” statement so that he can issue you a concealed weapons permit. I can’t write this for you, only you can articulate your good cause. So, do yourself a favor and put forward your best possible good cause statement, even if it appears that the Sheriff might accept something less.

I find it funny that this person is under the mistake impression that sheriff must use something more than "self defense". I guess Sacramento County and Monterey is breaking the law, then....

And no, don't cut Sheriff Youngblood a break.
Old 08-20-2011, 6:35 PM

Keep reading. Just a little further down he talks about what the Sheriff considers good cause. Self defense is mentioned first. I think this guy is plugged in pretty good to the scene out at the sheriffs office. He also says he will help you gratis. As far as giving the sheriff a break, I think he is all for shall issue, he is just working in the system as best he can. I guarantee my good cause won't be a fit for you. I read some of the good cause statements listed over on the web site mentioned by wildhawker further up this thread and got a sense of how some people couched their statements. The content has to be your own. Good luck.

Sorry, thought I was replying to the poster who I referred to kernccw.

Last edited by beech bum; 08-20-2011 at 6:38 PM.. Reason: Replied to wrong poster.
Old 08-22-2011, 6:52 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I've read through the kernccw stuff already, but was curious to outcomes of people putting down hunting and camping in remote areas of the county and frequently traveling in areas where there is an extended response time for law enforcement becacuse it's in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-22-2011, 6:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCPerks View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've read through the kernccw stuff already, but was curious to outcomes of people putting down hunting and camping in remote areas of the county and frequently traveling in areas where there is an extended response time for law enforcement becacuse it's in the middle of nowhere.
Anecdotal evidence suggests those GC's have been successful. I will have gard data within about a month.

-Brandon

Old 09-01-2011, 11:23 AM

Wilderness activities are very often used
It's in the policy
Feel free to pm

We work with alot of folks on this
No obligation etc
Greebo, as a matter of feline pride, would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything, up to and including a four-horse logging wagon. Ferocious dogs would whine and hide under the stairs when Greebo sauntered down the street. Foxes Kept away from the village. Wolves made a detour. Terry Pratchett

Last edited by El Gato; 09-01-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Old 09-23-2011, 6:36 AM

Submitted my application 17 Aug, received my approval letter 15 Sep.

The first available class around here is on 12 Nov, so I gotta wait for that...

GC statement was centered around backcountry activity and driving on remote highways in eastern CA.
Old 09-23-2011, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

Hey, if the sheriff sez "personal protection" is GC then why don't we all go with that? After all, THAT is what we're all wanting is it not?
Old 09-23-2011, 11:30 PM

Because the Sheriff is not beholden to it. It's ambiguous. That's the problem with may issue.

I went with what has worked for friends of mine.

Last edited by leadstorm; 09-24-2011 at 10:08 AM..
Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 PM

I finished up Powers Firearm Traning class last night and dropped off paper work today at the SO office on Norris Rd. The quote from the clerk was," when we get your background back in three weeks you can come pick up your permit." It would seem the three week delay might not be the SO's issue? At any rate I hurried up, so now I can wait again.
I would like to give feed back on the training class. The class was well presented and covered need to to know issues quite well. Mr. Powers had some good pointers to help improve marksmanship, and wasn't overbearing when he put forth his suggestions. The class was well worth the fee.
Old 10-17-2011, 3:26 PM

Hello everyone,

I just dropped off my CCW APPLICATION today 10/17/11 at the Norris Rd office.
The lady at the front desk said it should take a couple of months (16 weeks on application), but the friendly gentlemen at 2nd amendment sports told me it is much less then that..

Does anyone have a clue what was the earliest response you ever heard of here in KERN COUNTY? I am in no rush because I just sent my slide to Robar for some work and it will take 4-6 weeks before I get it back. anyways, im just curious.
Old 10-18-2011, 2:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.hustle View Post
Hello everyone,

I just dropped off my CCW APPLICATION today 10/17/11 at the Norris Rd office.
The lady at the front desk said it should take a couple of months (16 weeks on application), but the friendly gentlemen at 2nd amendment sports told me it is much less then that..

Does anyone have a clue what was the earliest response you ever heard of here in KERN COUNTY? I am in no rush because I just sent my slide to Robar for some work and it will take 4-6 weeks before I get it back. anyways, im just curious.
11 Mar - Dropped off application at Rosamond Substation

21 Apr - Got voicemail from Sgt wanting info

25 Apr - Finally contacted Sgt. He wanted letter from Neighborhood Association president stating he was OK with my carrying while performing Treasurer duties so he wouldn't have to put a restriction on LTC.

5 May - Informed Sgt that president was an anti and thought that I shouldn't even own a gun.

10 May - Notice received in mail that Good Cause accepted.

14 May - Took Class, got certificate

16 May - Dropped off certificate and check in Bakersfield, got LiveScan done.

21 Jun - Got call from Rosamond SubStation to come pick up my LTC. Picked up UNRESTRICTED LTC.

Total time elapsed = 110 days. Would have been 19 days quicker if Neighborhood Association info were left off good cause statement.

Good Cause (nutshell version): Bad knee, can't run away. Bad neck, can't fight either. Choices: Carry a gun, or be a defenseless victim.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.

Last edited by Decoligny; 10-18-2011 at 2:52 PM..
Old 10-18-2011, 3:27 PM

Got the call today to pick up LTC. Started July 12 I think it was but had probably three or four weeks delay for a class.
Old 10-18-2011, 4:19 PM

great, so around 4-5 weeks?
But when should I be expecting a call from the sgt? or does he only call if he has questions about my app/reason to carry?
Old 10-19-2011, 7:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
great, so around 4-5 weeks?
But when should I be expecting a call from the sgt? or does he only call if he has questions about my app/reason to carry?
I am pretty sure that the Sgt only calls to clarify anything they have questions about, or to get more information in order to determine if a restriction should be applied to the LTC.

The only reason the Sgt called me was to ask me to provide a letter to support one aspect of my Good Cause statement.

My GC was made up of two aspects.

1. I am the treasurer of _______________ Association. I collect the payments from the members and deposit them in the bank.

2. I am disabled. I have a bad knee and ankle so I can't run from an attacker. I have herniated disks in my neck so I can't fight an attacker without risking paralysis/death.

The Sgt wanted to know whether their was a board, or a president of the Association. If so, he wanted a letter from them stating that the president didn't have a problem with my carrying a gun while performing my duties as treasurer. He stated that if I could not get a letter, he would have to put a restriction on my LTC stating that I could not carry while on Assocation business.

The president turned out to be a rabid anti-gun person. I informed the Sgt that he didn't even think I should be allowed to own a gun, nevermind actually being able to carry a gun.

When I was called to pick up my LTC I was fully expecting it to contain a restriction. It had none.

It is my personal opinion that the Sgt is clearly pro-2A and disregarded the absence of the letter.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 10-19-2011, 7:46 PM

cool. thanks ^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-15-2011, 6:33 PM

Ok..The sgt gave me a call recently and basically said he wanted a copy of my work ID, how should I take that? To me it sounded like a green light, but im unsure.

Also, lets say I give him a copy of my ID tomorrow, what is the time frame I should be anticipating for my approval or disapproval for a CCW?
Old 11-17-2011, 7:45 PM

Maybe if you put your work info as part of the good cause statement they would want to verify? I'm not sure though. Hopefully someone much more knowledgeable will chime in as I've got a question as well.

Does someone that lives within the city limits of Ridgecrest have to go through the RPD for their LTC? I live in the county, but a friend of my wife is wanting to get one and has already gotten some bad FUD from one of the RPD officers about eligibility.

Old 11-17-2011, 9:47 PM
Banned

So your GC is at least partially work related? Can't think of any other reason he'd want a copy of your work ID. Kern's not really a problem county, at this point, I am curious why he wants a copy of your work ID...and technically, that is a form/document that's in addition to the standard application; but there hasn't been a real push to reform certain counties. Don't be afraid to ask why he wants it but I wouldn't be opposed (unless, as noted above, someone up the food chain at your work is/might be anti-gun or you'd prefer they didn't know you carried).

Quote:
Ok..The sgt gave me a call recently and basically said he wanted a copy of my work ID, how should I take that? To me it sounded like a green light, but im unsure.

Also, lets say I give him a copy of my ID tomorrow, what is the time frame I should be anticipating for my approval or disapproval for a CCW?
Old 11-19-2011, 10:46 PM

I think he wanted a copy of my ID to show proof that I really work at a prison. Thats the only reason why, and I'm thinking why would he even ask for it if he was going to deny me anyway, right?
Old 11-19-2011, 10:47 PM

hopefully I get a letter this week.
Old 11-20-2011, 9:39 AM

Can someone please tell me after getting my letter in the mail, what else do I have to turn in besides the certificate? In terms of paperwork?
Old 11-20-2011, 9:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Once you get the approval letter, you need to do the fingerprints at the sheriff's office, turn in your training certificate and wait.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 11-20-2011, 10:08 AM

cool. so no other paperwork is required?
Old 11-20-2011, 2:53 PM

Quote:
cool. so no other paperwork is required?
nope...maybe DD214 if you were ever military.
Old 11-20-2011, 4:02 PM

cool thanks.
Old 11-21-2011, 4:34 PM

Got my Official Approval Letter today in the mail.

Dropped off application: 10/17

Approval letter: 11/21

I already took my ccw class on Saturday and obtained the certificate.
So all I need to do now is go to the Sheriffs Dept to do my fingerprints and drop off paperwork...

Hopefully I can pick up my permit before Christmas...
Old 11-26-2011, 3:39 AM

am I able add a another serial number or gun to my app when I go into the sheriffs office to turn in my certificate and have my fingerprinting done?
Old 11-28-2011, 5:08 PM

im heading to do my live scan tomorrow...any advice^^^^^
Old 11-29-2011, 11:54 AM

ok, I did my live scan finger printing and the lady gave me back my application and let me add another weapon on it.. Yeee!
Old 12-03-2011, 4:32 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
ok, I did my live scan finger printing and the lady gave me back my application and let me add another weapon on it.. Yeee!
It's been my experience that the ladies who handle the LTC in that office are very helpful and are quick to make requested changes.
Old 12-20-2011, 4:40 PM

Got a call from the sheriff office today 12/20/11 to pick up my permit...It took aprox 3 weeks...My first carry was to get a cut at the barbershop. I was actually shaky at first and nervous, but on the way home I was ok..
Old 02-11-2012, 4:24 PM

Hey everyone. Ive finally got with the program and moved from LA county to Kern county and am now preparing to apply for my LTC. Before I do this do I have to be a resident of Kern county for a certain amount of time before I apply?